2019 nominees - Rock & Roll Hall of Fame
2018-10-09 12:25:31 UTC
THE 15 NOMINEES FOR THE 2019 ROCK AND ROLL HALL OF FAME

Def Leppard
Devo
Janet Jackson
John Prine
Kraftwerk
LL Cool J
MC5
Radiohead
Rage Against the Machine
Roxy Music
Rufus featuring Chaka Khan
Stevie Nicks
The Cure
The Zombies
Todd Rundgren

THE FAN VOTE / VOTE HERE https://www.rockhall.com/fanvote/vote?v=1
BobbyM
2018-10-09 23:20:36 UTC
THE 15 NOMINEES FOR THE 2019 ROCK AND ROLL HALL OF FAME
Def Leppard
Devo
Janet Jackson
John Prine
Kraftwerk
LL Cool J
MC5
Radiohead
Rage Against the Machine
Roxy Music
Rufus featuring Chaka Khan
Stevie Nicks
The Cure
The Zombies
Todd Rundgren
THE FAN VOTE / VOTE HERE https://www.rockhall.com/fanvote/vote?v=1
I would really like to see John Prine get the recognition but I don't think he's a good fit in any of the categories. Nonetheless, he's a great singer/songwriter. Everybody should own at least the first couple of albums.

Todd Rundgren should be a shoe-in. Multi-talented: member of a band (The Nazz), solo artist, multi-instrumentalist, record producer, and more. And he's from Philadelphia, which probably gives him an extra point or two.

Kraftwerk deserves to be in even though they lose a couple of points for me due to their tremendous electronic influence on music (but without a doubt they were innovative).
SavoyBG
2018-10-09 23:42:32 UTC
No thanks. It's absurd for him to get nominated when acts like Kool and the Gang never have.
BobbyM
2018-10-10 00:06:40 UTC
Guess I should have inserted a caveat. If you only listen to the lyrics phonetically, don't bother listening to John Prine. Prine's songs can make you laugh, make you cry, & make you think. But it's not particularly good dance music.
Dean F.
2018-10-10 03:03:11 UTC
On Tuesday, October 9, 2018 at 8:06:41 PM UTC-4, BobbyM wrote:

<< Guess I should have inserted a caveat. If you only listen to the lyrics phonetically, don't bother listening to John Prine. Prine's songs can make you laugh, make you cry, & make you think. But it's not particularly good dance music. >>

If Laura Nyro and Leonard Cohen could be inducted as performers, why not John Prine?

On a side note, Swamp Dogg did a terrific version of "Sam Stone."
SavoyBG
2018-10-10 03:44:09 UTC
Sounds like you actually know something about John Prine. I could not have named even one song by him before today. He never had a chart single, and only one album that made the BB top 100, at # 66.
Dean F.
2018-10-10 04:29:39 UTC

So you're back to opportunistically judging music by its chart success (or lack of it)?
SavoyBG
2018-10-10 04:39:29 UTC
No, I'm judging the hall of fame worthiness of an act by several things, one of which is popularity. Whether or not music is good is 100% subjective. If I judged an act's hall of famed worthiness by my opinion of its music the members would look a lot different.
SavoyBG
2018-10-10 04:58:10 UTC
It's interesting how whenever they nominate some non mainstream act that it's usually some white person who they claim wrote great lyrics.
DianeE
2018-10-10 12:17:07 UTC
-----------
Nina Simone? Miles Davis?
SavoyBG
2018-10-10 18:03:22 UTC
I just listened to his first album on youtube. I would not say it was bad, but I certainly would not have any desire to ever hear any of those tracks again. Innocuous folkish, countryish stuff that did not offend me, but did not interest me either. To each his own, I guess, Bobby.
SavoyBG
2018-10-11 21:03:00 UTC
https://digitaldreamdoor.com/pages/best_hall-of-fame-nom-2019-x.html
DianeE
2018-10-12 13:08:40 UTC
https://digitaldreamdoor.com/pages/best_hall-of-fame-nom-2019-x.html
-----------------
If you don't have the energy to read the whole article, just read this,
to which I think we can all say "AMEN":

<< Not surprisingly nine of the fifteen names on the ballot came of age
in the 1960's and 70's, which is alarming because... a) the best 60's
and 70's acts have already made it years ago, and... b) they've barely
scratched the surface when it comes to honoring the best 80's and 90's
artists. If you think this ISN'T because of who is on the Nominating
Committee but rather it's merely because they want to "get to" all of
the qualified names while they're still around, consider this: They
never afforded the same gushing respect for the 1950's, a decade that
has been far more neglected by the Hall over the years. That trend
continues this year as once again Johnny Ace, The Dominoes and Chuck
Willis are ignored, as are The Clovers, Jesse Belvin, The Spaniels and
Larry Williams who've never even been nominated once in three decades.
And let's not get started on the artists like Roy Brown, Wynonie Harris,
Amos Milburn, The Ravens and Paul "Hucklebuck" Williams from the late
1940's, an era they've all but refused to acknowledge having even taken
place since that came before rock crossed over into white America. I
mean, why would a Rock 'n' Roll Hall Of Fame want to waste time
inducting the guys who actually INVENTED rock 'n' roll?!?! >>

-------------
Personally I disagree vehemently with his dismissive assessment of The
Zombies and his enthusiasm for Radiohead and Kraftwerk, but the above
paragraph is worth the whole price of admission.
SavoyBG
2018-10-12 15:41:16 UTC
[...]
The ending was good too:

Along those lines now that the great Big Jay McNeely died at the age of 90 this September, a revolutionary artist who was a towering figure in rock's earliest days when he essentially created the entire showmanship aspect of rock and who was deserving of induction for the past three decades without ever receiving so much as a nomination, it'd be exactly the kind of cruelly ironic touch the Hall is known for to give him some sort of posthumous honor this year. Why is that, you ask? Because - to their way of thinking - now he won't be around to mess up the ceremonies by appearing there in person.
SavoyBG
2018-10-12 15:45:37 UTC
I can't stand Kraftwerk or Radiohead, but they are both far more deserving of being inducted than the Zombies. The Zombies were just 2 great hit singles in 1964 and one very significant album which contained a third great hit single in 1968, but nothing much in between and zero after that album.
Dean F.
2018-10-12 12:19:58 UTC

I'm no John Prine expert; I know the man for maybe a half-dozen songs. I first heard of Prine through the aforementioned Swamp Dogg cover of "Sam Stone," and because I was friendly with some pot-smokers who had adopted "Illegal Smile" as their anthem.
Bob Roman
2018-10-10 00:07:04 UTC
Def Leppard
The KISS/Bon Jovi of this year. Disliked by many but will likely win the fan vote. Enough "populist" voters will agree.
Post by SavoyBG
Devo
A lot of critics like them, and consider then unique and influential, and that may be enough in a weak year.
Post by SavoyBG
Janet Jackson
In the year of #MeToo, a woman will be inducted. I predict it will be Janet over Chaka Khan or solo-Stevie.
Post by SavoyBG
Radiohead
Critics love these guys. They got punished last year for bad-mouthing the Hall. This year they will be forgiven.
Post by SavoyBG
The Cure
Another critics' darling, and -- for a mopey post-punk, dance band -- fairly popular in their day. I'm surprised they aren't in already.

2018-10-10 02:09:35 UTC
Devo
----------
Really? Devo? I hope Lee Dorsey is already inducted, since one of
Devo's biggest hits was a remake of his song. (And since he had more
talent in his little finger than they had in their whole silly group.)
LL Cool J
------------
I always liked him. Hope he gets in. (He's from Queens.)
--------------
Post by SavoyBG
The Zombies
--------------
They were melodic without being too pop-y. I think they're overdue.
--------------
One more comment: Thank God they finally gave up on Chic. After 9
failures they tried to force them in by giving Nile Rodgers some
lifetime achievement award or something. That was fair enough, but Chic
was an inane lightweight disco group and did not deserve induction.
Dean F.
2018-10-10 03:05:30 UTC
Devo's biggest hit was "Whip It." When did Lee Dorsey record that song?
SavoyBG
She's talking about "Working In A Coal Mine" by Devo, which was their second biggest hit in the USA.
Roger Ford
2018-10-10 07:10:57 UTC
THE 15 NOMINEES FOR THE 2019 ROCK AND ROLL HALL OF FAME
Def Leppard
Devo
Janet Jackson
John Prine
Kraftwerk
LL Cool J
MC5
Radiohead
Rage Against the Machine
Roxy Music
Rufus featuring Chaka Khan
Stevie Nicks
The Cure
The Zombies
Todd Rundgren
I find I will be unable to catch the TV broadcast as I'm watching a
paint drying competition that night

2018-10-10 12:20:10 UTC
THE 15 NOMINEES FOR THE 2019 ROCK AND ROLL HALL OF FAME
Def Leppard
Devo
Janet Jackson
John Prine
Kraftwerk
LL Cool J
MC5
Radiohead
Rage Against the Machine
Roxy Music
Rufus featuring Chaka Khan
Stevie Nicks
The Cure
The Zombies
Todd Rundgren
I find I will be unable to catch the TV broadcast as I'm watching a
paint drying competition that night
I hope your heart can stand the excitement! Me, I'll probably be
napping...or listening to that Jukin' Oldies station.