narkive is for sale. Interested? (dismiss)
Little Richard Dead
2020-05-09 14:35:33 UTC
Sky News London

Just hitting TV here..............

"Little Richard, one of the founding fathers of rock 'n' roll, has
died at the age of 87, according to reports in the US.

His son, Danny Penniman, confirmed his death but said the cause was
unknown, Rolling Stone reports.

The singer was famous for hits including Good Golly Miss Molly and
Tutti Frutti ".

2020-05-09 15:07:16 UTC
Sky News London
Just hitting TV here..............
"Little Richard, one of the founding fathers of rock 'n' roll, has
died at the age of 87, according to reports in the US.
His son, Danny Penniman, confirmed his death but said the cause was
unknown, Rolling Stone reports.
The singer was famous for hits including Good Golly Miss Molly and
Tutti Frutti ".
What a revolting development this is.

Chuck, Fats and Richard all go within a year or two. Just Jerry Lee left now from the gods of 50s music.
Mark Dintenfass
2020-05-09 15:08:21 UTC
Sky News London
Just hitting TV here..............
"Little Richard, one of the founding fathers of rock 'n' roll, has
died at the age of 87, according to reports in the US.
His son, Danny Penniman, confirmed his death but said the cause was
unknown, Rolling Stone reports.
The singer was famous for hits including Good Golly Miss Molly and
Tutti Frutti ".
What a revolting development this is.
Chuck, Fats and Richard all go within a year or two. Just Jerry Lee left now from the gods of 50s music.
We must have been having the same thought at the same time.

Lloyd Price, Johnny Mathis and a few others are still around.
SavoyBG
2020-05-09 15:52:31 UTC
A memorable Grammy Awards moment from the 1980s: Richard presenting Best New Artist with David Johansen (in character as Buster Poindexter), and derailing the moment by repeatedly announcing "The winner is...ME!" and then ranting (tongue only partly in cheek, I think), "Y'all never gave me no Grammy!"
Steve Mc
2020-05-09 16:04:33 UTC
Saw him at the Fillmore West c. 1969. And he put on a great show. People
were screaming in delight. Quite the Showman. One thing I’ll never
forget about that show. Toward the end of his set, he gets up on his
piano, and takes off one of his bright green patent leather shoes, and
holds it up like a priest consecrating the communion host, first to the
left side of the audience, then the center, then the right, and repeats
that a few times, planning on throwing it out into the audience. Teasing
all those stoned hippies. Who’s gonna get to go home with one of Little
Richard’s shoes ? It turns out, no one. That fucker was just teasing
everybody. But, it was high theater. And very, very entertaining. Rest
in Peace Little Richard.

Andy Kim is still kickin', baby!!
Mark Dintenfass
2020-05-09 17:26:21 UTC

2020-05-09 15:07:20 UTC
Sky News London
Just hitting TV here..............
"Little Richard, one of the founding fathers of rock 'n' roll, has
died at the age of 87, according to reports in the US.
His son, Danny Penniman, confirmed his death but said the cause was
unknown, Rolling Stone reports.
The singer was famous for hits including Good Golly Miss Molly and
Tutti Frutti ".
And now of the truly great ones, only JLL remains standing. Who'd've
thunk it?

Make some noise up there, LR!
2020-05-09 15:39:41 UTC
On Sat, 09 May 2020 10:07:20 -0500, Mark Dintenfass
Sky News London
Just hitting TV here..............
"Little Richard, one of the founding fathers of rock 'n' roll, has
died at the age of 87, according to reports in the US.
His son, Danny Penniman, confirmed his death but said the cause was
unknown, Rolling Stone reports.
The singer was famous for hits including Good Golly Miss Molly and
Tutti Frutti ".
And now of the truly great ones, only JLL remains standing. Who'd've
thunk it?
Make some noise up there, LR!
Jerry Lee said several times that he'd be "the last man standing"
--and even made an album with that title a few years ago. And of the
great Sun artists he was that last man

But now his prophecy has been FULLY realized

PS Where's Ray on all this?

Sleeping on the job?

Tut..tut...

2020-05-09 16:45:42 UTC
Pacific Daylight Time. All y’all beat me.

BTW, has anyone seen a legit Obit for Bobby Lewis? If so, please post it. Thanx, Ray
Dennis C
I just wanna know where Davud Bull is on all this, baby!!!
Bill B
In the beginning, he was a Rock & Roll god. But for most of the time I've been aware of him, his schtick ruined him for me.
Jim Colegrove
2020-05-09 20:36:39 UTC
Sky News London
Just hitting TV here..............
"Little Richard, one of the founding fathers of rock 'n' roll, has
died at the age of 87, according to reports in the US.
In the beginning, he was a Rock & Roll god. But for most of the time I've been aware of him, his schtick ruined him for me.
As he song goes, "we all lose our charm in the end." But when I'm dead
and they have a party for me they are to play a Little Richard record.
If I don't walk in the door everyone will know for certain I am dead.
Bill B
It ruined him for me, but not his music. it embarrassed me to see the dangerous Little Richard of my youth running around a TV set shouting "Shuddup," but I can listen to his songs which are still as powerful as back in the day any time. I have five of them on my jukebox.
Roger Ford
2020-05-09 18:27:37 UTC
Sky News London
Just hitting TV here..............
"Little Richard, one of the founding fathers of rock 'n' roll, has
died at the age of 87, according to reports in the US.
His son, Danny Penniman, confirmed his death but said the cause was
unknown, Rolling Stone reports.
The singer was famous for hits including Good Golly Miss Molly and
Tutti Frutti ".
So far all TV channels here seem to be using the "Tutti Frutti" clip
from "Don't Knock The Rock" to illustrate our late hero in action

2020-05-10 03:16:03 UTC
Sky News London
Just hitting TV here..............
"Little Richard, one of the founding fathers of rock 'n' roll, has
died at the age of 87, according to reports in the US.
His son, Danny Penniman, confirmed his death but said the cause was
unknown, Rolling Stone reports.
The singer was famous for hits including Good Golly Miss Molly and
Tutti Frutti ".
So far all TV channels here seem to be using the "Tutti Frutti" clip
from "Don't Knock The Rock" to illustrate our late hero in action
http://youtu.be/Cj059o9OwqY
My favorite LR film performance is "The Girl Can't Help It."
Technicolor helps.
2020-05-10 04:22:27 UTC
On Sat, 09 May 2020 22:16:03 -0500, Mark Dintenfass
Sky News London
Just hitting TV here..............
"Little Richard, one of the founding fathers of rock 'n' roll, has
died at the age of 87, according to reports in the US.
His son, Danny Penniman, confirmed his death but said the cause was
unknown, Rolling Stone reports.
The singer was famous for hits including Good Golly Miss Molly and
Tutti Frutti ".
So far all TV channels here seem to be using the "Tutti Frutti" clip
from "Don't Knock The Rock" to illustrate our late hero in action
http://youtu.be/Cj059o9OwqY
My favorite LR film performance is "The Girl Can't Help It."
Technicolor helps.
Yes I'd have thought they'd have gone for LR in full color but I guess
they wanted to use the song that truly defined him and took the
easiest route

Actually they *could* have gotten both if they'd have dug a little
deeper.as this screen test for "The Girl Can't Help It" shows

http://youtu.be/8SlOj_-_rTI

2020-05-10 12:30:23 UTC
My favorite LR film performance is "The Girl Can't Help It."
Technicolor helps.
Yes I'd have thought they'd have gone for LR in full color but I guess
they wanted to use the song that truly defined him and took the
easiest route
Actually they *could* have gotten both if they'd have dug a little
deeper.as this screen test for "The Girl Can't Help It" shows
http://youtu.be/8SlOj_-_rTI
Excellent, of course. Evidence that LR wasn't just being "wild" or "out
of control", that he always knew exactly what he was doing, is how
similar his various versions of "Tutti-Frutti" are.
2020-05-10 20:53:29 UTC
Richard's Taco Bell commercial.

SavoyBG
2020-05-10 21:29:02 UTC
'From 'Tutti Frutti' to 'Long Tall Sally' to 'Good Golly, Miss Molly' to 'Lucille', Little Richard came screaming into my life when I was a teenager. I owe a lot of what I do to Little Richard and his style; and he knew it. He would say, "I taught Paul everything he knows". I had to admit he was right.

'In the early days of The Beatles we played with Richard in Hamburg and got to know him. He would let us hang out in his dressing room and we were witness to his pre-show rituals, with his head under a towel over a bowl of steaming hot water he would suddenly lift his head up to the mirror and say, "I can’t help it cos I’m so beautiful". And he was.

'A great man with a lovely sense of humour and someone who will be missed by the rock and roll community and many more. I thank him for all he taught me and the kindness he showed by letting me be his friend. Goodbye Richard and a-wop-bop-a-loo-bop.'

- Paul McCartney
SavoyBG
2020-05-10 22:10:37 UTC
Bob Dylan, who dreamed of joining Little Richard’s band as a young musician in Minnesota, penned a short tribute to the rock pioneer following his death Saturday at the age of 87.

“I just heard the news about Little Richard and I’m so grieved,” Dylan wrote. “He was my shining star and guiding light back when I was only a little boy. His was the original spirit that moved me to do everything I would do.”

Dylan continued, “I played some shows with him in Europe in the early nineties and got to hang out in his dressing room a lot. He was always generous, kind and humble. And still dynamite as a performer and a musician and you could still learn plenty from him. In his presence he was always the same Little Richard that I first heard and was awed by growing up and I always was the same little boy. Of course he’ll live forever. But it’s like a part of your life is gone.”

In Dylan’s high school yearbook in 1959, then-senior Robert Zimmerman famously wrote that his life ambition was “to join Little Richard.” As the Star Tribune reported, Dylan even attempted to emulate Little Richard’s imitable performing style during his first-ever public performance at a Hibbing High School talent show in 1957.
l***@pobox.com