Do you remember?
DianeE
2020-07-28 22:19:20 UTC
Tony Soprano once snapped at Paulie Walnuts, "'Remember when' is the
lowest form of conversation!" I don't entirely agree...

Tomorrow it will be 20 years since the night Bill, Mark, Roger, Dean,
Bruce, and I (along with Bob Roman, Marc Dashevsky, and several others)
all met at a concert in North Bergen, New Jersey. A wonderful time was
had by all. There are no more concerts now, almost everybody is dead,
but...we're still here.

I guess I've told this story before, but Bruce was kind of the troll (or
gadfly, to use a nicer word) of the group at the time. I pictured him
as being a fat, pale guy with long hair who lived in his mother's
basement. Wrong on all counts!
Bill B
2020-07-28 22:51:13 UTC
Post by DianeE
Tony Soprano once snapped at Paulie Walnuts, "'Remember when' is the
lowest form of conversation!" I don't entirely agree...
Tomorrow it will be 20 years since the night Bill, Mark, Roger, Dean,
Bruce, and I (along with Bob Roman, Marc Dashevsky, and several others)
all met at a concert in North Bergen, New Jersey. A wonderful time was
had by all. There are no more concerts now, almost everybody is dead,
but...we're still here.
I remember, although I sometimes have a hard time differentiating between it and the later concert we attended as a group.

I remember meeting, though he didn't sit with us, Tom Marek (Onyx 512) who was bravely fighting a brain tumor which later was fatal.

If I recall, the Harptones and the Sheps were on the bill. I remember seeing the Spaniels there, but I don't think it was either of the two meetings I referred to. We went to a nearby diner after the show and Tommy Lockhart of the Sheps did the same. He knew Bruce.

Mark Dintenfass, Cathy Doyle and Ed Bielcik joined us for the second gathering and I talked briefly to Jay Warner about his "Billboard Book Of American Singing Groups.

Good memories.
SavoyBG
That's Tommy Shider.
DianeE
2020-07-29 01:23:17 UTC
Post by Bill B
I remember meeting, though he didn't sit with us, Tom Marek (Onyx 512) who was bravely fighting a brain tumor which later was fatal.
-------------
He lived in Queens, not too far from me, and I met him in a park once
after that. I'm glad you mentioned him, because when I was writing my
first post I remembered his screen name but not his real name! He was a
really nice guy.

Another guy who posted as "Michael from Teaneck" was there too, with his
girlfriend whose name I don't remember. Donna? Can't remember.
Bill B
2020-07-29 10:29:49 UTC
Didn't he post as Speedoo?
DianeE
2020-07-29 11:38:45 UTC
----------
By George, I think you're right.
Ken Whiton
2020-07-30 02:49:14 UTC
*-* On Wed, 29 Jul 2020, at 07:38:45 -0400,
*-* In Article <QvGdndVGqd1bwrzCnZ2dnUU7-***@giganews.com>,
*-* DianeE wrote
*-* About Re: Do you remember?
Post by DianeE
Post by Bill B
Post by DianeE
Another guy who posted as "Michael from Teaneck" was there too,
with his girlfriend whose name I don't remember. Donna?
Didn't he post as Speedoo?
----------
By George, I think you're right.
It was Speedo232. There are four posts from him directly
following the post from Dean that I just linked to a few minutes ago.

Ken Whiton
--
FIDO: 1:132/152
InterNet: ***@surfglobal.net.INVAL (remove the obvious to reply)
Bill B
2020-07-29 10:36:03 UTC
Post by Bill B
Post by DianeE
[...]
Ah memories. So deceiving.

Last night I had time to sort my brain out somewhat, and what I ended up with was there must have been 3 gatherings. My memory tells me Bruce wasn't at the first, but he was at the second. I don't think Bruce and Roger were both at any of the shows. I remember him presenting each of us with a saxophone solos LP. and I remember him confirming to Diane my assertion that the original "It Wasn't A Lie" was by the Fi-Tones. The third is the one I previously called the second.

The acts were the Spaniels at the first one, the Harptones at the second and Johnny Bragg, the Toppers/Hurricanes and Otis Williams at the third.

I hope I'm not hopelessly incorrect here.
DianeE
2020-07-29 11:44:24 UTC
Post by Bill B
Post by Bill B
Post by DianeE
[...]
------------
Unless there was some meetup before 7/29/2000, he was at the first.
---------------
I don't think Bruce and Roger were both at any of the shows.
----------------
They were.
-------------
I remember him presenting each of us with a saxophone solos LP.
------------
He did bring those albums but it was years later before I understood
that they were gifts from him and not UGHA door prizes!
-------------
and I remember him confirming to Diane my assertion that the original
"It Wasn't A Lie" was by the Fi-Tones. The third is the one I previously
called the second.
-----------
It *was* the second, summer of 2001. Before 9/11.
Bill B
You are probably correct, Diane. After all, you would remember when you met Bruce and I'm hazy about there being three gatherings. If Lowe Murray was singing with the Spaniels at the show, that would solidify my memories.
Jim Colegrove
I remember and I wasn't even there.
Dean F.
2020-07-29 00:59:35 UTC
I remember several of you posing on the hood of my big red car for a photo. That may have been at the second gathering, though.
Mark Dintenfass
2020-07-29 02:09:20 UTC
Post by Dean F.
I remember several of you posing on the hood of my big red car for a photo.
That may have been at the second gathering, though.
Actually, what I remember was you posing on the hood of your car. It
was the second occasion, the only one I went to. The main guest that
night was Billy Bragg, and he was excellent, almost, somehow, regal. I
also remember Bruce talking to Diane, but snubbing the rest of us, and
a lot of speculation that a very thin guy with a goatee was the "Philly
guy." Got that wrong, I guess. It was a great night, and it had a lot
to do with my staying with the group all these years, and I'll add a
big thanks to Bill, who invited me to stay overnight so I could attend
the show.
--
--md
_________
Remove xx's from address to reply
SavoyBG
That's Johnny Bragg.
Mark Dintenfass
2020-07-29 02:50:46 UTC
Post by SavoyBG
Post by Mark Dintenfass
Post by Dean F.
I remember several of you posing on the hood of my big red car for a photo.
That may have been at the second gathering, though.
Actually, what I remember was you posing on the hood of your car. It
was the second occasion, the only one I went to. The main guest that
night was Billy Bragg, and he was excellent, almost, somehow, regal.
'
That's Johnny Bragg.
Of course. Thanks.
--
--md
_________
Remove xx's from address to reply
SavoyBG
2020-07-29 02:39:03 UTC
SavoyBG
2020-07-29 02:41:27 UTC
I also remember Bruce talking to Diane, but snubbing the rest of us,
That worked out well!
Mark Dintenfass
2020-07-29 02:52:36 UTC
Post by SavoyBG
I also remember Bruce talking to Diane, but snubbing the rest of us,
That worked out well!
Yes. We all had a pleasant evening.
--
--md
_________
Remove xx's from address to reply
DianeE
LOL. I did not realize what was going on!
Ken Whiton
2020-07-29 03:32:20 UTC
*-* On Tue, 28 Jul 2020, at 21:09:20 -0500,
*-* In Article <280720202109201785%***@xxnew.rr.com>,
*-* Mark Dintenfass wrote
*-* About Re: Do you remember?
Post by Mark Dintenfass
Post by Dean F.
I remember several of you posing on the hood of my big red car for
a photo. That may have been at the second gathering, though.
Actually, what I remember was you posing on the hood of your car.
Is the bottom picture on this page the one under discussion?

<http://marcdashevsky.com/Photos/Newsgroup/>

Ken Whiton
Mark Dintenfass
Remove xx's from address to reply
Dean F.
2020-07-29 04:17:07 UTC
Yeah, that's the big red boat I was driving at the time. Thankfully, I've lost quite a bit of weight since that photo was taken.
Ken Whiton
2020-07-30 02:39:30 UTC
*-* On Tue, 28 Jul 2020, at 21:17:07 -0700 (PDT),
*-* In Article <d9428706-5a2f-49ef-8c6e-***@googlegroups.com>,
*-* Dean F. wrote
*-* About Re: Do you remember?
Post by Dean F.
Post by Ken Whiton
Is the bottom picture on this page the one under discussion?
Yeah, that's the big red boat I was driving at the time. Thankfully,
I've lost quite a bit of weight since that photo was taken.
I remember you complaining to Marc, after he posted a link to
that page, that even with his "fancy-schmancy" camera he couldn't make
you look thin.

<https://groups.google.com/d/msg/rec.music.rock-pop-r+b.1950s/2GvAecVW6jA/Dxjvyl3vbg4J>
(or <https://preview.tinyurl.com/yxhpvc4n>)

Ken Whiton
Dean F.
2020-07-30 07:51:31 UTC
I'll never be thin again, but I no longer weigh 310 pounds. And at the ripe old age of 54, I can still put 25 miles on a mountain bike in one afternoon.
RWC
2020-07-30 19:16:43 UTC
On Thu, 30 Jul 2020 00:51:31 -0700 (PDT), "Dean F."
Post by Dean F.
And at the ripe old age of 54, I can still put 25 miles on a mountain bike in one afternoon.
for an alternative or additional exercise regime :-)

Roger Ford
2020-07-29 08:08:07 UTC
Post by DianeE
Tony Soprano once snapped at Paulie Walnuts, "'Remember when' is the
lowest form of conversation!" I don't entirely agree...
Tomorrow it will be 20 years since the night Bill, Mark, Roger, Dean,
Bruce, and I (along with Bob Roman, Marc Dashevsky, and several others)
all met at a concert in North Bergen, New Jersey. A wonderful time was
had by all. There are no more concerts now, almost everybody is dead,
but...we're still here.
Great memories indeed!

But Di....I had met you before that night right? I recall meeting up
with you and The Fos (is he still around? I lost contact) for a most
memorable lunch---but IIRC that was probably on my 1998 visit to the
US

Adding to the memories,as well as meeting all the above members of
this group in person on trips to the USA I'm happy to recall that at
various times I've also had phone conversations with oldtimers Norm
Katuna,Len Blanks and Randy Price plus Steve Mc when he was in London

And on the London kick I also have fond memories of meeting Mark
Dintenfass and his wife some years ago when they visited our fair
capital city.

But reminscing like this has its sad side when recalling that is now
some EIGHTEEN years since I last set foot on US soil and its hard now
to envisage ever doing so again.

C'est la vie :-(

ROGER FORD
-----------------------

https://www.avg.com
DianeE
2020-07-29 11:52:11 UTC
Post by Roger Ford
Great memories indeed!
But Di....I had met you before that night right? I recall meeting up
with you and The Fos (is he still around? I lost contact) for a most
memorable lunch---but IIRC that was probably on my 1998 visit to the
US
-----------------
Yes, that's right. As for Joe, he's 82 now if still around. Last saw
him on Facebook a while back, he was posting links to modern records and
vile political memes, before I gave up on FB altogether.
Mark Dintenfass
2020-07-29 12:44:54 UTC
Post by Roger Ford
And on the London kick I also have fond memories of meeting Mark
Dintenfass and his wife some years ago when they visited our fair
capital city.
We had a great talk on a long, long ride from the airport, and I have
not forgotten that I still owe you a dinner. :-)
--
--md
_________