June 2021 Nominations
2021-05-24 16:32:38 UTC
I'd Be Satisfied - Billy Ward and His Dominoes - Federal 12105 - 1952

[Lost 17-9 in Round 1 of the 1952 Battle to: Hank Williams - Half As Much - MGM 11202]

Bad Boy - Jive Bombers - Savoy 1508 - 1956

[Lost 16-6 in Round 1 of the 1956 Battle to: Elvis Presley - Heartbreak Hotel - RCA 6420]

Dedicated To The One I Love - "5" Royales - King 5098 - 1957

[Lost 22-6 in Round 1 of the 1957 Battle to: The Drifters - Fools Fall In Love - Atlantic 1123]

Ookey Ook - Penguins - Dootone 353 - 1954

[Lost 15-7 in Round 1 of the 1954 Battle to: Fats Domino - You Done Me Wrong - Imperial 5272]

Is There A Love For Me - Dubs - Gone 5046 - 1958

[Lost 19-5 in the Prelims of the 1958 Battle to: The Shirelles - I Met Him On A Sunday - Tiara
6112]
Carl
2021-05-24 16:57:47 UTC
On Monday, May 24, 2021 at 9:33:16 AM UTC-7, Rick Schubert wrote:

Back to something not quite so obscure this month. From 1960.

Hang Up My Rock And Roll Shoes - Jerry Lee Lewis - Sun 344

Poor Boy Needs A Preacher - The Untouchables - Madison 128

It's Gonna Come Out In The Wash Someday - Annie Laurie - DeLuxe 6189

Cut Across Shorty - Eddie Cochran - Liberty 55242

Walking Doctor Bill - B.B King - Kent 350

RWC
2021-05-25 15:31:09 UTC
Post by Carl
Back to something not quite so obscure this month. From 1960.
Carl, I can't believe I'm the only one here to wonder as to how you
built your long list of semi-obscure 1955 (and now 1960?) records?

If someone wants to focus on, say, 1959 semi-obscure records, what
please, is one proven way they can go about creating such a list?

Geoff
Carl
2021-05-27 13:34:44 UTC
If someone wants to focus on, say, 1959 semi-obscure records, what
please, is one proven way they can go about creating such a list?
Not a simple task for someone with my limited starting knowledge (I may initially have about 200 songs for a year in a list, a third no longer that familiar)
- Go through the Roger's singles battle and listen to everything that's possibly of interest.
- Same with every weekly issue of Billboard (reviews, ads, top 40's, there's a complete Billboard archive site on the internet)
- As your doing all of this, put the music in youtube playlists so you can listen over and over, and add the artist, song and label to an rank numbered Excel spreadsheet and keep reranking and resorting while your listening.
- Go through the "Rate your Singles" site for the year (Billboard and Rate your singles also provide flip sides, check those out)
- Go through label and artist discographies (globaldog is a good site for this)
- Search the 50's newsgroup for any lists Bruce, Roger, Dean or anyone else may have put together.
- For 1957 and later, the RCS rockabilly website is also a good source (where I got 4 of the obscure songs that did so poorly last month, the 5th, the Poppa Hop song, was from Bruce's top 200.)
- and Voila, about 8 months to a year later you have your 700 or 800 personal favorites pretty well ranked.
Roger Ford
2021-05-27 14:58:23 UTC
Post by Carl
Post by RWC
If someone wants to focus on, say, 1959 semi-obscure records, what
please, is one proven way they can go about creating such a list?
Not a simple task for someone with my limited starting knowledge (I may initially have about 200 songs for a year in a list, a third no longer that familiar)
- Same with every weekly issue of Billboard (reviews, ads, top 40's, there's a complete Billboard archive site on the internet)
There are two Billboard archives out there
https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=GgwEAAAAMBAJ

This one starts at 1942 with some copies missing (including 3 whole
months in 1958) and copies load instantly

https://worldradiohistory.com/Archive-All-Music/Billboard-Magazine.htm

This one starts much earlier (in 1920!!) and is more complete
(including 1958) but takes forever to load each copy :-(

2021-05-27 18:23:05 UTC
Post by Carl
Post by RWC
If someone wants to focus on, say, 1959 semi-obscure records, what
please, is one proven way they can go about creating such a list?
Wow! Many thanks for responding with this useful info, and for taking
the time, Carl.
http://marcdashevsky.com/cgi-bin/battle.cgi?vote=rankings&rankyear=1959&who=
Post by Carl
- Same with every weekly issue of Billboard (reviews, ads, top 40's, there's a complete Billboard archive site on the internet)
Roger, in this thread, kindly contributed the following website info:
Billboard from 1942 - fast to load
https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=GgwEAAAAMBAJ
Billboard from 1920 - more complete but slow to load
https://worldradiohistory.com/Archive-All-Music/Billboard-Magazine.htm
Post by Carl
- As you're doing all of this, put the music in youtube playlists so you can listen over and over,
Carl, would you please consider breaking down this step into more
detail - I'm perplexed, because it can mean very different things.
Post by Carl
- and add the artist, song and label to an rank numbered Excel spreadsheet and keep reranking and resorting while your listening.
yet another member of this newsgroup's Excel brigade :-)
https://rateyourmusic.com/charts/top/single/1959/
Post by Carl
- Go through label and artist discographies (globaldog is a good site for this)
http://globaldogproductions.info/ for labels
http://www.uncamarvy.com/marvart.html mostly for r&b group artists
http://www.soulfulkindamusic.net/ for soul-r&b labels & artists
http://www.rocky-52.net/loisirs_b.htm for rock artists
in Google search, enter: Praguefrank <artist name> for country & rock
Post by Carl
- Search the 50's newsgroup for any lists Bruce, Roger, Dean or anyone else may have put together.
Presumably, there's no efficient way to do this search, such as for
Bruce's top 200 that includes the Poppa Hop song.
Bruce's DDD listings are for the Top 100 for each year.
http://rcs-discography.com/rcs/index.html
Again, thanks Carl.
Ken Whiton
2021-05-28 02:15:05 UTC
*-* On Thu, 27 May 2021, at 14:23:05 -0400,
*-* In Article <***@4ax.com>,
*-* RWC wrote
*-* About Re: June 2021 Nominations
[ ... ]
Post by RWC
Post by Carl
- Go through label and artist discographies (globaldog is a good site for this)
http://globaldogproductions.info/ for labels
http://www.uncamarvy.com/marvart.html mostly for r&b group artists
http://www.soulfulkindamusic.net/ for soul-r&b labels & artists
http://www.rocky-52.net/loisirs_b.htm for rock artists
in Google search, enter: Praguefrank <artist name> for country & rock
Here are a few more to add to the mix:

<http://wdd.mbnet.fi>
<http://whitedoowopcollector.blogspot.com>
<http://doo-wop.blogg.org>

FIDO: 1:132/152
InterNet: ***@surfglobal.net.INVAL (remove the obvious to reply)
Carl
2021-05-28 15:52:58 UTC
If someone wants to focus on, say, 1959 semi-obscure records, what
please, is one proven way they can go about creating such a list?
- As you're doing all of this, put the music in youtube playlists so you can listen over and over,
Carl, would you please consider breaking down this step into more
detail - I'm perplexed, because it can mean very different things.

I should have been more generic and stated create your own playlist with whatever service you might have for that. I'm pretty sure youtube allows you to add songs to a playlist even if you don't have an account. Anytime you play a youtube video there should be a Save+ button under it. If you push it and scroll to the bottom it says Create Playlist. Then you can name it. Without an account though, the ads and the constant "are You still listening" interruptions make it pretty annoying. In the old days you could also easily convert songs with a youtube to mp3 converter and make playlists independent of a service, but all the remaining services seem to want to put viruses on your computer or phone.

For my youtube account I pay $11/month to Google which I hate doing. But I create playlists with no interruptions and rearrange them pretty easily on my PC, I can also make them public which I do, but no one seems to watch them except me. I think these are similar to the playlists Rick has been providing each month for the obscurities entries.
Carl
2021-05-28 16:11:12 UTC
If someone wants to focus on, say, 1959 semi-obscure records, what
please, is one proven way they can go about creating such a list?
- As you're doing all of this, put the music in youtube playlists so you can listen over and over,
Carl, would you please consider breaking down this step into more
detail - I'm perplexed, because it can mean very different things.
I can also make them public which I do, but no one seems to watch them except me. I think these are similar to the playlists Rick has been providing each month for the obscurities entries.

Here's a link to an example playlist made from the RCS rockabilly website for songs from 1960 I made over a year ago. I've never shared a link before so I'm curious to know if it works.

Carl
2021-05-28 17:32:15 UTC
http://youtu.be/BzxcE81W6Xo
link posted is to a 1947 playlist, not the rockabilly site one.
RWC
2021-05-29 14:43:09 UTC
I can also make {my YouTube playlists} public which I do,
but no one seems to watch them except me. I think these are
similar to the playlists Rick has been providing each month
for the obscurities entries.
Here's a link to an example playlist made {for 1947}. I've never
shared a link before so I'm curious to know if it works.
http://youtu.be/BzxcE81W6Xo
Carl, thanks for this link, and from it with a few mouse clicks we
can see all your playlists:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCDrTRef_DcFe3A_Q7ZExDvg/playlists

(gee, I'm so glad I started this 'conversation'; you've even mentioned
some useful software that some us can consider using)
Sav...@aol.com
I make playlists on my own computer with MP3s rather than on Youtube which has commercials, and also has some videos with 30 seconds of silence at the start or end of songs.
Carl
As have I, being able to equalize volume with mp3 Gain and tag my videos with TagAndRename is also an advantage. It's just getting harder for me to download videos without infecting my computer.
Sav...@aol.com
2021-05-28 21:11:21 UTC
Post by Carl
It's just getting harder for me to download videos without infecting my computer.
I use this, never had a problem:

https://ytmp3.cc/youtube-to-mp3/
Carl
2021-05-29 02:41:50 UTC
Post by Carl
It's just getting harder for me to download videos without infecting my computer.
https://ytmp3.cc/youtube-to-mp3/
ytmp3 is what I've been using also. I've had problems though. About every 10 downloads it opens an additional page, which if I don't close it within about 5 seconds, it opens a bunch more pages which I can't close without rebooting my computer. I've always suspected whatever viruses I got on my old computer were due to that. I decided not to use the converter on my new computer. I may be wrong. I'll continue to use it on my old computer which is pretty much toast anyway.

My real point was that I didn't feel comfortable recommending downloading mp3's to anyone when I didn't have a way I felt was safe.

On the other hand, If you have a way of downloading that you feel is safe, that's much preferable. No ads, available free downloadable programs to trim dead space, make the volume the same on all tracks, and attach meaningful and consistent track information on each track (mp3Trim, mp3Gain, and TagAndRename). In addition, no internet waiting delays and ability to listen to your music when you don't have internet access.
DianeE
2021-05-29 12:33:01 UTC
Post by Carl
On the other hand, If you have a way of downloading that you feel is safe, that's much preferable. No ads, available free downloadable programs to trim dead space, make the volume the same on all tracks, and attach meaningful and consistent track information on each track (mp3Trim, mp3Gain, and TagAndRename). In addition, no internet waiting delays and ability to listen to your music when you don't have internet access.
-----------
I do, but it requires several extra steps. I use Any Video Converter
and then run the resulting mp3 through Audacity to cut off any silence
at beginning or end and to normalize the volume level.
RWC
2021-05-29 15:09:38 UTC
I use Any Video Converter
and then run the resulting mp3 through Audacity to cut off any silence
at beginning or end and to normalize the volume level.
free Any Video Converter
https://www.any-video-converter.com/products-freeware/

free Audacity
https://www.audacityteam.org/

How to Normalize Audio to Play at the Same Volume Level
https://www.videoconverterfactory.com/tips/normalize-audio.html
these tips include Audacity steps
and the 'Batch Normalize MP3' option refers to free app MP3Gain
(its default target volume level is 89dB)
RWC
2021-05-29 14:37:56 UTC
On the other hand, if you have a way of downloading that you feel is safe,
that's much more preferable.
Latest version of "4K YouTube to MP3" is working nicely right now.
I've just copied from this newsgroup and pasted onto a button within
the app the following, and 5 mp3s were created within 30 seconds or
so:

Hang Up My Rock And Roll Shoes - Jerry Lee Lewis - Sun 344
http://youtu.be/JfGQqOJENm8

Poor Boy Needs A Preacher - The Untouchables - Madison 128
http://youtu.be/j8jqPxk2SuA

It's Gonna Come Out In The Wash Someday - Annie Laurie - DeLuxe
http://youtu.be/z_J8s9-8mOc

Cut Across Shorty - Eddie Cochran - Liberty 55242
http://youtu.be/OhSgqiQZ2Mo

Walking Doctor Bill - B.B King - Kent 350
http://youtu.be/-4A6uFzh7x0
trim dead space (mp3Trim)
https://download.cnet.com/MP3Trim/3000-2169_4-10026746.html
make the volume the same on all tracks (mp3Gain)
https://download.cnet.com/MP3Gain/3000-2169_4-10175552.html
screenshots of the app in use
https://www.bing.com/images/search?q=mp3Gain&first=1&tsc=ImageBasicHover
and attach meaningful and consistent track information on each track (TagAndRename).
assuming this is 'Tag&Rename', this is now trialware (you are meant
to buy at some point)
https://www.softpointer.com/index.htm
screenshots of the app in use:
https://www.bing.com/images/search?q=tag+and+rename&qpvt=tagandrename&form=IGRE&first=1&tsc=ImageBasicHover

however, the same Softpointer link above details the free tag editor
'AudioShell'

for folk with a technical background there is the FREE macro-enabled
mp3Tag (not to be confused with 'mp3Tag Pro' from elsewhere) which is
also very good at using tags to rename batch downloaded mp3s from
Usenet and Blogs
https://www.mp3tag.de/en/
Carl
2021-05-29 15:04:26 UTC
Latest version of "4K YouTube to MP3" is working nicely right now.
Used this many years ago and then it stopped working. Have to try again. Diane's AnyVideoConverter also looks good, has a .com domain which is reassuring.

Also looked into the .cc cdomain that ytmp3 uses which I thought was an Eastern European country. Turns out it's nominally the Coco Islands near Australia. However it can by used as a free domain by anyone who presumably wants to hide where they're from. However the domain is administered by a US company Verisign which I've had to use in the past to safely (I hope) sign documents. So possibly, I've been mistaken, and ytmp3 may also be reputable.
RWC
2021-05-26 11:15:35 UTC
Post by Carl
Back to something not quite so obscure this month. From 1960.
Hang Up My Rock And Roll Shoes - Jerry Lee Lewis - Sun 344
http://youtu.be/JfGQqOJENm8
rough-voiced vocal makes the song sound unattractively raucous
Post by Carl
Poor Boy Needs A Preacher - The Untouchables - Madison 128
http://youtu.be/j8jqPxk2SuA
can voters tolerate the whiny pop strings, Carl?
Post by Carl
It's Gonna Come Out In The Wash Someday - Annie Laurie - DeLuxe 6189
http://youtu.be/z_J8s9-8mOc
an alternative link...:

nice, but few females have reached the last 8
Post by Carl
Cut Across Shorty - Eddie Cochran - Liberty 55242
http://youtu.be/OhSgqiQZ2Mo
nice, but not being r&b could be a handicap
Post by Carl
Walking Doctor Bill - B.B King - Kent 350 {- Sep 1960}
http://youtu.be/-4A6uFzh7x0
cool backing, potential last 16 or better I suppose,
but personally I don't like the harsh raspy vocal - is this really
B.B. King's usual voice in 1960?

the a-side of his very next release, in Nov 1960, "Things Are Not The
Same" did not have a raspy vocal

Roger Ford
2021-05-26 12:35:15 UTC
Post by Carl
Back to something not quite so obscure this month. From 1960.
Poor Boy Needs A Preacher - The Untouchables - Madison 128
http://youtu.be/j8jqPxk2SuA
can voters tolerate the whiny pop strings, Carl?
Yep,I guess the strings are gonna kill it for most here but I've liked
this one for long time (although it never came out over here).

Tho Billy Storm was with this group he isn't on this one but returns
for the followup (an unneccesary remake of "Goodnight Sweetheart
Goodnight")

2021-05-26 17:24:25 UTC
Post by Carl
Cut Across Shorty - Eddie Cochran - Liberty 55242
http://youtu.be/OhSgqiQZ2Mo
nice, but not being r&b could be a handicap
-------------
I like this one a lot. (First heard it as Rod Stewart's remake.) Don't
forget that my Ricky Nelson record won in April, despite not being R&B.
DianeE
2021-05-24 17:07:54 UTC
http://youtu.be/j_3rzOV3gz0
http://youtu.be/jYaHXgecv4I
http://youtu.be/JC_-v3fG-0o
http://youtu.be/axeVW_c_LMg
http://youtu.be/eh6OBkVQJyw
[Lost 19-5 in the Prelims of the 1958 Battle to: The Shirelles - I Met Him On A Sunday - Tiara
6112]
------------
Five killer dillers!!! Bruce isn't so crazy about the Dubs record but I
think it's terrific. Just one cavil--the link for the Dominoes record
is "video unavailable." (I was checking it to make sure it's the
original 45 version, with the sax break.)
md
2021-05-24 18:15:24 UTC
On May 24, 2021 at 12:40:41 PM CDT, "***@aol.com" <***@aol.com
wrote:

My nominees:

The Midnighters - Switchie Itchy Titchie

Wynonie Harris - Destinaton Love -

Our Anniversary - Shep & The Limelites -

Bumpity Bump - Smiley Lewis

(Yeah, I'm stubborn, but Smiley deserves more love than he's been getting i
these contests.)

Down In The Alley - The Clovers

(According to YouTube there are '53 and '57 versions, but the posting for '5
sounds exactly like the '57. Can one of the experts clarify this?)

I hope they pass muster.

2021-05-24 18:24:03 UTC
Post by md
The Midnighters - Switchie Itchy Titchie
http://youtu.be/602KPLv_tLY
Wynonie Harris - Destinaton Love -
http://youtu.be/UcY8lzbrtPA
Our Anniversary - Shep & The Limelites -
http://youtu.be/TMARtr49SWg
Bumpity Bump - Smiley Lewis
http://youtu.be/gfjG1aTFQ4U
(Yeah, I'm stubborn, but Smiley deserves more love than he's been getting in
these contests.)
Down In The Alley - The Clovers
http://youtu.be/GeRWJ6RbofA
(According to YouTube there are '53 and '57 versions, but the posting for '53
sounds exactly like the '57. Can one of the experts clarify this?)
Recording date and release date.
md

2021-05-26 19:27:00 UTC
Post by md
The Midnighters - Switchie Itchy Titchie
http://youtu.be/602KPLv_tLY
Wynonie Harris - Destinaton Love -
http://youtu.be/UcY8lzbrtPA
Our Anniversary - Shep & The Limelites -
http://youtu.be/TMARtr49SWg
Bumpity Bump - Smiley Lewis
http://youtu.be/gfjG1aTFQ4U
(Yeah, I'm stubborn, but Smiley deserves more love than he's been getting in
these contests.)
Down In The Alley - The Clovers
http://youtu.be/GeRWJ6RbofA
(According to YouTube there are '53 and '57 versions, but the posting for '53
sounds exactly like the '57. Can one of the experts clarify this?)
Recording date and release date.
???

The first version of "Down In The Alley" was recorded in 1953 and is
unreleased

The second attempt at "Down In The Alley" was recorded in July 1957
and is the one we all know---released late August or early September
that year

2021-05-24 19:55:02 UTC
Post by md
The Midnighters - Switchie Itchy Titchie
http://youtu.be/602KPLv_tLY
Wynonie Harris - Destinaton Love -
http://youtu.be/UcY8lzbrtPA
Our Anniversary - Shep & The Limelites -
http://youtu.be/TMARtr49SWg
Bumpity Bump - Smiley Lewis
http://youtu.be/gfjG1aTFQ4U
(Yeah, I'm stubborn, but Smiley deserves more love than he's been getting in
these contests.)
Down In The Alley - The Clovers
http://youtu.be/GeRWJ6RbofA
-------------
Put the first 2 in title/artist format. Nice batch, especially that
Clovers record, one of their best IMO. Also isn't it "Switchie
*Witchie* Titchie?"
Roger Ford
2021-05-24 19:27:36 UTC
Sorry but can only take part in the upcoming contest as usual---but
nothing more I'm afraid. Domestic probs you understand

Nominations coming tomorrow

2021-05-24 19:43:43 UTC
Bigelow 6-200 - Little Brenda Lee(1956)

It Feels So Good - Swallows (1953)

Gee Baby - Joe & Ann (1960)

My Baby Left Me - Little Eddie Lang (1950)

San-Ho-Zay - Freddy King (1961)

2021-05-25 05:04:15 UTC
On Mon, 24 May 2021 12:43:43 -0700, Steve Mc
Post by Steve Mc
My Baby Left Me - Little Eddie Lang (1950)
http://youtu.be/q5ttX3sdhVI
This has already appeared in an Obscurities contest when Jim nominated
it in September last year

Great record its a definite "8" for me

Its from 1951 by the way

2021-05-25 05:31:33 UTC
Post by Steve Mc
My Baby Left Me - Little Eddie Lang (1950)
http://youtu.be/q5ttX3sdhVI
This has already appeared in an Obscurities contest when Jim nominated
it in September last year
Great record its a definite "8" for me
Its from 1951 by the way
Ok, sorry 'bout that. I'll replace it tomorrow.

2021-05-25 05:46:06 UTC
On Mon, 24 May 2021 12:43:43 -0700, Steve Mc
My Baby Left  Me - Little Eddie Lang (1950)
http://youtu.be/q5ttX3sdhVI
This has already appeared in an Obscurities contest when Jim nominated
it in September last year
Great record its a definite "8" for me
Its from 1951 by the way
Ok, sorry 'bout that.  I'll replace it tomorrow.
Ok, we have a Rockin' Daddy, so now let's also have a Rockin' Grandaddy.

Granddaddy's Rockin' - Mac Curtis

2021-05-25 14:04:28 UTC
On Mon, 24 May 2021 22:46:06 -0700, Steve Mc
Post by Steve Mc
Post by Roger Ford
On Mon, 24 May 2021 12:43:43 -0700, Steve Mc
My Baby Left  Me - Little Eddie Lang (1950)
http://youtu.be/q5ttX3sdhVI
This has already appeared in an Obscurities contest when Jim nominated
it in September last year
Great record its a definite "8" for me
Its from 1951 by the way
Ok, sorry 'bout that.  I'll replace it tomorrow.
Ok, we have a Rockin' Daddy, so now let's also have a Rockin' Grandaddy.
Granddaddy's Rockin' - Mac Curtis
http://youtu.be/FtxQRlpU5D0
Nice one!!

His best record IMO

I'd say "That Ain't Nothin' But Right."
DianeE
2021-05-24 20:08:51 UTC
I had a great month in April, a disappointing one in May, so I'm going
for "whatthehell whatthehell" in June. These are all "weirdo" records
that I really like and regularly listen to, but definitely out of the
mainstream.

Wide Hoop Skirts - The Rajahs Of Acappella (Nutmegs)

Uncle Pen - Bill Monroe

Please Throw This Poor Dog A Bone (unreleased, circa 1954) - Junior Wells
http://youtu.be/wez4AdhUxYk

I Am The Light Of This World - Rev. Gary Davis

The Closer To The Bone - Grandpa Jones

Steve Mc
2021-05-24 21:49:28 UTC
Post by Rick Schubert
Bad Boy - Jive Bombers - Savoy 1508 - 1956
http://youtu.be/jYaHXgecv4I
[Lost 16-6 in Round 1 of the 1956 Battle to: Elvis Presley - Heartbreak Hotel - RCA 6420]
This was on my upcoming short list.

2021-05-25 15:59:15 UTC
On Mon, 24 May 2021 14:49:28 -0700, Steve Mc
Post by Steve Mc
Post by Rick Schubert
Bad Boy - Jive Bombers - Savoy 1508 - 1956
http://youtu.be/jYaHXgecv4I
[Lost 16-6 in Round 1 of the 1956 Battle to: Elvis Presley - Heartbreak Hotel - RCA 6420]
This was on my upcoming short list.
Here's the original 1936 number by Mrs Satchmo that this "Bad
Boy"--and the several earlier incarnations---are all based on

2021-05-24 21:56:02 UTC
Post by Rick Schubert
I'd Be Satisfied - Billy Ward and His Dominoes - Federal 12105 - 1952
http://youtu.be/j_3rzOV3gz0
[Lost 17-9 in Round 1 of the 1952 Battle to: Hank Williams - Half As Much - MGM 11202]
Ookey Ook - Penguins - Dootone 353 - 1954
http://youtu.be/axeVW_c_LMg
[Lost 15-7 in Round 1 of the 1954 Battle to: Fats Domino - You Done Me Wrong - Imperial 5272]
Is There A Love For Me - Dubs - Gone 5046 - 1958
http://youtu.be/eh6OBkVQJyw
[Lost 19-5 in the Prelims of the 1958 Battle to: The Shirelles - I Met Him On A Sunday - Tiara
6112]
I've been getting a lot of Video Unvailable lately. Is anyone else
experiencing that situation ?

Like these 2:

Ookey and the Satisfied link, but a good Satisfied link is on the Dubs one.

2021-05-25 03:44:51 UTC
On Mon, 24 May 2021 14:56:02 -0700, Steve Mc
{Bad} Ookey and the Satisfied links, but a good ... Dubs one.
snap! - on East Coast
Sav...@aol.com
2021-05-25 03:51:11 UTC
Post by Steve Mc
Post by Rick Schubert
I'd Be Satisfied - Billy Ward and His Dominoes - Federal 12105 - 1952
http://youtu.be/j_3rzOV3gz0
[Lost 17-9 in Round 1 of the 1952 Battle to: Hank Williams - Half As Much - MGM 11202]
Ookey Ook - Penguins - Dootone 353 - 1954
http://youtu.be/axeVW_c_LMg
[Lost 15-7 in Round 1 of the 1954 Battle to: Fats Domino - You Done Me Wrong - Imperial 5272]
Is There A Love For Me - Dubs - Gone 5046 - 1958
http://youtu.be/eh6OBkVQJyw
[Lost 19-5 in the Prelims of the 1958 Battle to: The Shirelles - I Met Him On A Sunday - Tiara
6112]
I've been getting a lot of Video Unvailable lately. Is anyone else
experiencing that situation ?
Ookey and the Satisfied link, but a good Satisfied link is on the Dubs one.
Here's a good "Ookey Ook"

Sav...@aol.com
2021-05-25 04:00:14 UTC
Here's mine:

Little Chickee Wah Wah - Huey & Jerry

I Love You So - Chantels

Tell Me What I Did Wrong - James Brown

Modern Don Juan - Buddy Holly

Candy - Big Maybelle

Rick, if you have time I'd like to know what these all lost to in the first round.
Rick Schubert
2021-05-25 16:30:41 UTC
Little Chickee Wah Wah - Huey & Jerry
http://youtu.be/VN2jc8w0efQ
I Love You So - Chantels
http://youtu.be/GE-YqHN2WNY
Tell Me What I Did Wrong - James Brown
http://youtu.be/KSDuiNMJ_ZI
Modern Don Juan - Buddy Holly
http://youtu.be/TFj_aVm_G78
Candy - Big Maybelle
http://youtu.be/OPMZZeKekk8
Rick, if you have time I'd like to know what these all lost to in the first round.
Little Chickee Wah Wah - Huey & Jerry
[Lost 15-14 to: Connie Francis - Stupid Cupid - M-G-M 12683]

I Love You So - Chantels
[Lost 16-11 to: Ed Townsend - For Your Love - Capitol 3926]

Tell Me What I Did Wrong - James Brown
[Lost 19-9 to: Bobby Day - Over And Over - Class 229]

Modern Don Juan - Buddy Holly
[Lost 11-8 to: The Staple Singers - Uncloudy Day - Vee Jay 224]

Candy - Big Maybelle
[Lost 12-8 to: The Coasters - Brazil - Atco 6073]
Steve Mc
2021-05-25 16:34:01 UTC
Modern Don Juan - Buddy Holly
[Lost 11-8 to: The Staple Singers - Uncloudy Day - Vee Jay 224]
This shocks me.

2021-05-25 18:36:25 UTC
On Tue, 25 May 2021 09:34:01 -0700, Steve Mc
Post by Steve Mc
Post by ***@aol.com
Modern Don Juan - Buddy Holly
[Lost 11-8 to: The Staple Singers - Uncloudy Day - Vee Jay 224]
This shocks me.
Not me

I voted for the Staples

One of my all time favorite gospel numbers

2021-05-25 20:51:21 UTC
Post by Steve Mc
Post by ***@aol.com
Modern Don Juan - Buddy Holly
[Lost 11-8 to: The Staple Singers - Uncloudy Day - Vee Jay 224]
This shocks me.
Not me
I voted for the Staples
One of my all time favorite gospel numbers
------------
I am sure I voted for them too, but I am *pleasantly* surprised that
they beat Buddy Holly.
DianeE
2021-05-29 15:03:35 UTC
Post by Steve Mc
Post by ***@aol.com
Modern Don Juan - Buddy Holly
[Lost 11-8 to: The Staple Singers - Uncloudy Day - Vee Jay 224]
This shocks me.
Not me
I voted for the Staples
One of my all time favorite gospel numbers
-----------------
Believe it or not I think it is based on this:

Sav...@aol.com
Thanks.
Rick Schubert
2021-05-25 16:36:57 UTC
Post by Steve Mc
Post by Rick Schubert
I'd Be Satisfied - Billy Ward and His Dominoes - Federal 12105 - 1952
http://youtu.be/j_3rzOV3gz0
[Lost 17-9 in Round 1 of the 1952 Battle to: Hank Williams - Half As Much - MGM 11202]
Ookey Ook - Penguins - Dootone 353 - 1954
http://youtu.be/axeVW_c_LMg
[Lost 15-7 in Round 1 of the 1954 Battle to: Fats Domino - You Done Me Wrong - Imperial 5272]
Is There A Love For Me - Dubs - Gone 5046 - 1958
http://youtu.be/eh6OBkVQJyw
[Lost 19-5 in the Prelims of the 1958 Battle to: The Shirelles - I Met Him On A Sunday - Tiara
6112]
I've been getting a lot of Video Unvailable lately. Is anyone else
experiencing that situation ?
Ookey and the Satisfied link, but a good Satisfied link is on the Dubs one.
Here's a good "Ookey Ook"
http://youtu.be/hBKDELe4o0U
Thanks for the substitutions. Both of the links that I gave were valid last Thursday. Strange
that both would be taken down in that short time -- unless both were from the same poster.
Roger Ford
2021-05-25 04:59:55 UTC
Here's Mine

Flame In My Heart - The Checkers - King 4558 - 1952

Sunday Kind Of Love - Bobby Hall & The Kings - Jax 320 - 1953

Gloria - The Five Thrills - Parrot 800 - 1954

Rockin' Daddy - Sonny Fisher - Starday 179 - 1955

Darling Patricia - Artie Wilkins & The Palms - States 157 - 1956

2021-05-26 14:11:41 UTC
I Like Moonshine - The Five Owls -

Ain't Nothin' Wrong - The Shufflers -

Baby, I Love You So - Joe Weaver and the Don Juans -

So Fine - The Sheiks -

Wine - Hollywood's Four Flames -

OK, as you might imagine I haven't had a lot of time to deal with this
trun and I figure one or two might have been used somewhere along the
line. See what you think.
Sav...@aol.com
2021-05-26 14:15:52 UTC
I Like Moonshine - The Five Owls -
http://youtu.be/wDsOsv6U9wU
Ain't Nothin' Wrong - The Shufflers -
http://youtu.be/g1ShlSqqFPI
Baby, I Love You So - Joe Weaver and the Don Juans -
http://youtu.be/tbWVAmAXrFU
So Fine - The Sheiks - http://youtu.be/TbtVcDr-s88
Wine - Hollywood's Four Flames -
http://youtu.be/RWWlZdvvVOs
Some hip selections :-)
Steve Mc
2021-05-26 14:18:42 UTC
Baby, I Love You So - Joe Weaver and the Don Juans -
http://youtu.be/tbWVAmAXrFU
This was on my short list. I think it defines unique.

So, how are you doing ?

2021-05-26 14:19:54 UTC
Post by Steve Mc
Post by Jim Colegrove
Baby, I Love You So - Joe Weaver and the Don Juans -
http://youtu.be/tbWVAmAXrFU
This was on my short list. I think it defines unique.
It's a reworking of this:

Jim Colegrove
2021-05-26 15:25:35 UTC
On Wed, 26 May 2021 07:18:42 -0700, Steve Mc
Post by Steve Mc
Post by Jim Colegrove
Baby, I Love You So - Joe Weaver and the Don Juans -
http://youtu.be/tbWVAmAXrFU
This was on my short list. I think it defines unique.
I agree. There's something about that record that sticks with you.
Post by Steve Mc
So, how are you doing ?
1 week down today. Doing better but it's slow. Mostly just trying to
get the energy level up and keep it up. One more week and I see the
doc again.
Roger Ford
2021-05-26 14:36:34 UTC
On Wed, 26 May 2021 09:11:41 -0500, Jim Colegrove
Post by Jim Colegrove
Baby, I Love You So - Joe Weaver and the Don Juans -
http://youtu.be/tbWVAmAXrFU
So Fine - The Sheiks - http://youtu.be/TbtVcDr-s88
Both of these reached at least Round Two in the 1955 Battle
Post by Jim Colegrove
Wine - Hollywood's Four Flames -
http://youtu.be/RWWlZdvvVOs
Tho this one won rounds in the 1950 Battle it was included in that
year's battle in error. It was released in late 1951 and should have
been in the 1951 Battle

http://www.uncamarvy.com/HollywoodFlames/hollywoodflames.html

Over to you Bruce :)

2021-05-26 15:19:31 UTC
Post by Jim Colegrove
I Like Moonshine - The Five Owls -
http://youtu.be/wDsOsv6U9wU
Ain't Nothin' Wrong - The Shufflers -
http://youtu.be/g1ShlSqqFPI
Baby, I Love You So - Joe Weaver and the Don Juans -
http://youtu.be/tbWVAmAXrFU
So Fine - The Sheiks - http://youtu.be/TbtVcDr-s88
Wine - Hollywood's Four Flames -
http://youtu.be/RWWlZdvvVOs
OK, as you might imagine I haven't had a lot of time to deal with this
trun and I figure one or two might have been used somewhere along the
line. See what you think.
Looks like I need 3 according to Roger. Try these:

There's a Leak in this Old Building - Gospel Melody Quartet -

Georgia Rag - Webb Pierce -

My Baby Likes To Shuffle - Alonzo Scales -

DianeE
2021-05-26 16:10:44 UTC
Post by Jim Colegrove
I Like Moonshine - The Five Owls -
http://youtu.be/wDsOsv6U9wU
Ain't Nothin' Wrong - The Shufflers -
http://youtu.be/g1ShlSqqFPI
Baby, I Love You So - Joe Weaver and the Don Juans -
http://youtu.be/tbWVAmAXrFU
So Fine - The Sheiks - http://youtu.be/TbtVcDr-s88
Wine - Hollywood's Four Flames -
http://youtu.be/RWWlZdvvVOs
OK, as you might imagine I haven't had a lot of time to deal with this
trun and I figure one or two might have been used somewhere along the
line. See what you think.
There's a Leak in this Old Building - Gospel Melody Quartet -
http://youtu.be/FEAV6kySDB8
Georgia Rag - Webb Pierce -
http://youtu.be/tpUleAC07NA
My Baby Likes To Shuffle - Alonzo Scales -
http://youtu.be/2B8elwg4lBg
-------------
The Alonzo Scales was previously used in this tournament. I know that
because I'm the one who nominated it!
Jim Colegrove
2021-05-26 20:20:54 UTC
Post by Jim Colegrove
I Like Moonshine - The Five Owls -
http://youtu.be/wDsOsv6U9wU
Ain't Nothin' Wrong - The Shufflers -
http://youtu.be/g1ShlSqqFPI
Baby, I Love You So - Joe Weaver and the Don Juans -
http://youtu.be/tbWVAmAXrFU
So Fine - The Sheiks - http://youtu.be/TbtVcDr-s88
Wine - Hollywood's Four Flames -
http://youtu.be/RWWlZdvvVOs
OK, as you might imagine I haven't had a lot of time to deal with this
trun and I figure one or two might have been used somewhere along the
line. See what you think.
There's a Leak in this Old Building - Gospel Melody Quartet -
http://youtu.be/FEAV6kySDB8
Georgia Rag - Webb Pierce -
http://youtu.be/tpUleAC07NA
OK. No to Alonzo. Try This:

Tight Shoe Boogie - Donnie Bowshier -

Rick Schubert
2021-05-31 22:49:04 UTC
Here is the playlist for the June 2021 Nominations:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLfrgSfewEoB9C2iG1XMXfH2YyBDGhBPjA

I had to make 3 substitutions due to videos no longer available and 1 for an incorrect link:

The Midnighters - Switchie Itchy Titchie
http://youtu.be/602KPLv_tLY

replacement:

I never saw the title officially corrected or the order switched.

----------

Please Throw This Poor Dog A Bone (unreleased, circa 1954) - Junior Wells
http://youtu.be/wez4AdhUxYk

The above link was a duplication of the one for the previous song. Here is my replacement:

----------
Sunday Kind Of Love - Bobby Hall & The Kings - Jax 320 - 1953
http://youtu.be/dMHyWagf-Es

replacement:

Darling Patricia - Artie Wilkins & The Palms - States 157 - 1956
http://youtu.be/gDSXkMujKWI

replacement:

2021-05-31 22:53:43 UTC
Post by Rick Schubert
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLfrgSfewEoB9C2iG1XMXfH2YyBDGhBPjA
Thanks, I updated them all for the contest.