Auto Transfer of Album's Track-Artist-Songs from Discogs to Mp3 Tags
2018-12-05 06:07:03 UTC
Another feature of the audio file renaming app Mp3Tag.

Recently, I came across a folder of mp3s, for a various artists album, with only
a track # and song title for a filename, *and* the each file's corresponding
artist tag was also empty.

The 2-CD album was:
"Buddy Guy, Otis Rush, Ike Turner & More – Cobra - Snakebite II"
https://www.discogs.com/Various-Buddy-Guy-Otis-Rush-Ike-Turner-More-Cobra-Snakebite-II/release/9219787

I didn't fancy manually adding the 58 various artist names to the mp3 filenames,
so I used Mp3Tag.

Discogs, for each album it documents, has a Release ID, at top right (near
enough) of its web page. For instance, for the album above you should see:
[r9219787]

In Mp3Tag, after you've selected your corresponding mp3 files in the correct
album track order, you go to:
Tag Sources > Discogs Release ID, and simply enter 9219787

Up comes a dialog box with two windows side by side, one has your selected list
of mp3 filenames, the other window has the album track info from Discogs.

After ensuring the two lists line up with each other, you click the OK button
and Mp3Tag will transfer all track, artist and song title info from Discogs to
the corresponding tags in your mp3 files.

Then you can use another Mp3Tag command to build each mp3 filename afresh from
the tags:
Convert > Tags to Filename >
$caps2($num(%track%,2) - %artist% - %title%,'(- ')

[ Mp3Tag remembers previous commands you've typed in, like the one above, so you
can recall these commands from a growing drop-down list; further, you can create
what's called an Action (consisting of one or more such commands) with a
meaningful name, the name being added to the Action menu - in other words, a
commonly used 'fancy' command only has to be worked out and constructed once ]

$caps2 is a function to 'Proper case' all text within its first parameter (ie
convert all letters to lower case but then convert a letter to upper case if it
immediately follows any of the characters in its second parameter - in our case,
an opening round bracket, dash, or space)

num(%track%,2) gets the contents of a file's 'track #' tab and then, if a single
digit, pads it out with a leading zero
Mr. M
2018-12-05 10:48:28 UTC
[...]
around 2000, I had about 1500 V/A and oldies discs. I bought 2
external 160 GB disc drives and used the program Musicmatch
to start transferring the files. It created a folder for each disc,
named it, and named most of the files properly, some it didn't
name and had to be done manually. After awhile, Muscimatch
seemed to change and never worked as good again. Even some
of the later programs that came along weren't as easy to use as
that early MM.

Mr. M