The Number Ones: Connie Francis’ “My Heart Has A Mind Of Its Own”
2018-12-04 20:59:30 UTC
Tom Breihan's review of every song to hit #1 in the Billboard Hot 100 continues through the cusp years:

Connie Francis – “My Heart Has A Mind Of Its Own”
HIT #1: September 26, 1960
STAYED AT #1: 2 weeks

Connie Francis was already a pop star when she hit #1 with the country ballad “Everybody’s Somebody’s Fool.” At least from where I’m sitting, that was a pretty forgettable song, but it did get Francis into the country-music business, and that turned out to be a good place for her. A couple of months later, Francis hit #1 again, with another country song, which also happened to be her very next single. And this time around, it was a really good song.

“My Heart Has A Mind Of Its Own” might not exactly be a canonical country song, though it’s been a hit for different country singers throughout the decades. But it’s a very good song, and Francis’ version remains the definitive one. “My Heart Has A Mind Of Its Own” is a song about falling for someone even when you know better, and Francis does beautiful work at selling the helpless, desperate romanticism of a situation like that. On the multi-tracked harmony (or what sounds like a multi-tracked harmony, at least), she’s crying and sighing at the same time.

The song’s arrangement is state-of-the-art early-’60s country. There’s a lot going on, with the twangy guitars and the mariachi horns and the cooing background vocals. But it still registers as a simple sentiment, presented directly.

2018-12-04 21:34:18 UTC
Connie Francis – “My Heart Has A Mind Of Its Own”
HIT #1: September 26, 1960
STAYED AT #1: 2 weeks
"“My Heart Has A Mind Of Its Own” might not exactly be a canonical country song,"

Written in the Brill building. Recorded in Hollywood.

Ray Arthur
SavoyBG
2018-12-04 22:05:56 UTC
This guy gets more and more ignorant.
Dean F.
2018-12-05 02:43:56 UTC
This guy gets more and more ignorant.
Seriously!
Dean F.
2018-12-05 02:45:16 UTC
7/10 for a record that makes my skin crawl. And where does he get the impression that Connie Francis was a country star? She never was.

Seriously, fuck this guy!
Roger Ford
2018-12-05 06:14:42 UTC
On Tue, 4 Dec 2018 12:59:30 -0800 (PST), Bob Roman
Tom Breihan's review of every song to hit #1 in the Billboard Hot 100 conti=
Connie Francis =E2=80=93 =E2=80=9CMy Heart Has A Mind Of Its Own=E2=80=9D
HIT #1: September 26, 1960
STAYED AT #1: 2 weeks
I agree with him on the "forgettable song" bit at least---not one of
Connie's premier performances. And just like "Everybody's Somebody's
Fool" written by Howard Greenfield & Jack Keller. And also just like
the earlier song not to be confused with an earlier song of the same
title (the 1956 ditty by Carol Jarvis and covered by Gloria Mann is a
different song)

It does have a certain country "feel" and certainly became a country
hit in later versions most notably when revived in the 70's by Susan
Raye and Debby Boone.

In the UK it did better for Connie than the #7 "Everybody's Somebody's
Fool" peaking at #5 on the NME chart in November

Here's how Connie did with it in the 1960 Singles Battle

R1
14 Fats Domino - Put Your Arms Around Me Honey - Imperial 5687
15 Connie Francis - My Heart Has A Mind Of Its Own - MGM 12923
R2
18 Jimmy Reed - Found Love - Vee Jay 347
11 Connie Francis - My Heart Has A Mind Of Its Own - MGM 12923