Obscure 1950s Era Recordings - May Preliminary Round - Group 3
2020-05-04 12:47:53 UTC

2020-05-04 12:48:27 UTC

2020-05-04 13:34:16 UTC

2020-05-04 12:53:46 UTC
Hurt My Feelings - Morris Pejoe - 7
How About It Baby - Emmet Davis - 7
Lonely Baby - Ty Hunter - 7
My Darling, My Sweet - Flairs - 6
Am I The Man - Jackie Wilson - 5

2020-05-04 13:04:08 UTC
Am I The Man - Jackie Wilson
http://youtu.be/-hVUJgihTvE
Originally by Al Kent in 1957 (it was the flip of his "Dat's Why (I
Love You So) (sic) that Wilson also recorded--slightly retitled-
later). He wrote the song too-he is the "Hamilton" writer ("Al Kent"
nee Albert Prentis Hamilton)

Version #2 was Bobby Lester in 1959

I like both of these better than the 1960 well over-chorused Wilson
remake
Post by SavoyBG
Lonely Baby - Ty Hunter
http://youtu.be/Bh7SuRjyxaA
Very nice Motown-ish soulful ballad from 1962 that was the last
release on Chess' very short lived Check-Mate subsidiary label
Post by SavoyBG
Hurt My Feelings - Morris Pejoe
http://youtu.be/fWUFx51A_so
Very good blues effort recorded in Chicago for Vee Jay May 9 1955.
Personnel : Morris Pejoe (vcl/gtr),unk sax,Henry Gray (p) Milton
Rector (b) Earl Phillips (dm)
Post by SavoyBG
How About It Baby - Emmet Davis
http://youtu.be/t6auq1dF7Tw
By-the-numbers Little Richard wannabee on the M & B label in 1958.
There is reputed to be some connection with Bob Shad here and in that
case the "M & B" in the company name may stand for "Morty & Bob" (aka
The Shad Brothers)

And like most everything that moves from this era,this one has been
booted (a brave venture indeed if Bob Shad was involved since he had a
reputation for litigation against anyone who so much as breathed on
one of his records)
Post by SavoyBG
My Darling, My Sweet - Flairs
http://youtu.be/8LNJAa8GXGM
Lead here was Cornell Gunter with the song recorded just prior to
March 1955 release. On Flair label of course,this is hardly one of
their standout releases and is pretty average fare

2020-05-04 15:31:53 UTC
Am I The Man - Jackie Wilson
http://youtu.be/-hVUJgihTvE
Originally by Al Kent in 1957 (it was the flip of his "Dat's Why (I
Love You So) (sic) that Wilson also recorded--slightly retitled-
later). He wrote the song too-he is the "Hamilton" writer ("Al Kent"
nee Albert Prentis Hamilton)
http://youtu.be/sqiXFWSrylQ
Version #2 was Bobby Lester in 1959
http://youtu.be/RZkK20UHdEs
I like both of these better than the 1960 well over-chorused Wilson
remake
I'd place Lester second, Kent third. Neither of them can generate the
excitement Wilson does, which is to be expected, and for me the
"over-chorused" arrangements Wilson was so often subjected to, are no
more objectionable here than in most of his early hits.
2020-05-04 13:45:08 UTC
1-Lonely Baby - Ty Hunter
2-Hurt My Feelings - Morris Pejoe
3-Am I The Man - Jackie Wilson
4-My Darling, My Sweet - Flairs
5-How About It Baby - Emmet Davis
Dennis C
2020-05-04 14:15:43 UTC
1- Ty Hunter

2- Emmett Davis

3- Jackie Wilson

4- Flairs

5- Morris Pejoe
Jim Colegrove
2020-05-04 14:34:25 UTC
1. How About It Baby - Emmet Davis

2. Hurt My Feelings - Morris Pejoe

3. My Darling, My Sweet - Flairs

4. Am I The Man - Jackie Wilson

5. Lonely Baby - Ty Hunter
Mark Dintenfass
2020-05-04 15:26:41 UTC
Am I The Man - Jackie Wilson
Hurt My Feelings - Morris Pejoe
Lonely Baby - Ty Hunter
My Darling, My Sweet - Flairs
How About It Baby - Emmet Davis

I'm a bit surprised the Wilson record is getting little love. Sure it's
over-produced, but Wilson, imo, rises above it, as he does so often.
2020-05-04 17:31:51 UTC
It's a humdrum song!! The equivalent of Wilson singing the Knoxville real estate listings whereby his surpassing vocal is the only strength and keeps it out of last place!!
Rick Schubert
2020-05-04 16:18:54 UTC
1. My Darling, My Sweet - Flairs
2. Lonely Baby - Ty Hunter
RWC
2020-05-04 18:23:44 UTC
Comment, Geoff's rankings, fwiw:

1. My Darling, My Sweet - Flairs; with a moving persistent beat, the
song is lead by an impressive, rapid pitch-changing, lead vocal, plus
it has a good vocal and instrumental backing (including some ongoing
impressive sax, with a notable break at 1:34).

2. Lonely Baby - Ty Hunter; this record is dominated by an impressive,
rapid pitch-changing, lead vocal, with a more than fine vocal backing.

3. Hurt My Feelings - Morris Pejoe; this chugging song grows on you,
the vocal is kinda boring, but the piano is excellent (who is the
player?), and there's a talented sax break at 2:19

4. How About It Baby - Emmet Davis; has an exciting beat, vocal, and
sax break. But, nevertheless, overall, kinda pedestrian sounding.

5. Am I The Man - Jackie Wilson - has some impressive and moving vocal
techniques, but overall the vocal (constrained by the mediocre tune)
is dullish.

(I'm fond of you all)
Carl
2020-05-04 19:18:34 UTC
1-Hurt My Feelings - Morris Pejoe
2-Am I The Man - Jackie Wilson
3-My Darling, My Sweet - Flairs
4-Lonely Baby - Ty Hunter
5-How About It Baby - Emmet Davis
SavoyBG
2020-05-04 19:35:25 UTC

1. Hurt My Feelings - Morris Pejoe - 36
2. Lonely Baby - Ty Hunter - 27
3. How About It Baby - Emmet Davis - 25
4. My Darling, My Sweet - Flairs - 24

5. Am I The Man - Jackie Wilson - 23

Carl's Pejoe ran away with this group. Diane Hunter takes second, with Jim's Emmet and Rick's Flairs edging Mark's Jackie Wilson for 3rd and 4th. Today Jackie is NOT the man.