Obscure 1950s Recordings Tournament - May Preliminary Round - Group 7
2019-05-08 01:26:26 UTC

Mean Old Blues - Harvey & The Moonglows

Lover Boy - Gene Wyatt

Don't Touch My Head - J.B. Lenior

All I Can Do Is Cry - Wayne Walker

SavoyBG
2019-05-08 01:41:34 UTC

1. Don't Touch My Head - J.B. Lenior - 9
2. Lover Boy - Gene Wyatt - 6
3. All I Can Do Is Cry - Wayne Walker - 6
4. Mean Old Blues - Harvey & The Moonglows - 3

The Lenior is the first of my 4 items to show up. The next 2 are good rockabilly records, but nothing spectacular. The Moonglows should be horse whipped for making such a soulless cornball record like this. No wonder I did not have it in my library.
Steve Mc
2019-05-08 03:51:30 UTC
1. Don't Touch My Head - J.B. Lenior

2. All I Can Do Is Cry - Wayne Walker

3. Lover Boy - Gene Wyatt

4. Mean Old Blues - Harvey & The Moonglows

2019-05-08 02:19:18 UTC
1. Lenoir (no need to use the misspelling of his name, right?)
2. Walker
3. Wyatt
4. Moonglows

2019-05-08 03:14:55 UTC
1. Lenoir (no need to use the misspelling of his name, right?)
I'm going by what it says on the record:

2019-05-08 04:09:52 UTC
1. Lenoir (no need to use the misspelling of his name, right?)
https://i.ytimg.com/vi/lY9gnux0cto/hqdefault.jpg
They often seemed to have problems with his name hence he's "J.B
Lenore" on several releases

2019-05-08 13:39:38 UTC
1. Lenoir (no need to use the misspelling of his name, right?)
Yes, I know, but I don't understand why we should be beholden to a misprint. If you were ranking Lenoir records, would you decline to include this?

It would be like it the White House put out a policy statement saying "The Presidnet has announced new tariffs on goods from Swaziland" and then on the issue of trade with Swaziland we have to always refer to him as the Presidnet.

2019-05-08 15:20:47 UTC
No, and I also would include the ones by J.B. Lenore.
SavoyBG
2019-05-08 15:23:05 UTC

1. Don't Touch My Head - J.B. Lenior - 42
2. All I Can Do Is Cry - Wayne Walker - 30
3. Lover Boy - Gene Wyatt - 28

4. Mean Old Blues - Harvey & The Moonglows - 20

The Moonglows record is out. The other 3 advance and the Accents from group 1 is still on the hook.
Roger Ford
2019-05-08 15:37:43 UTC
1. Lenoir (no need to use the misspelling of his name, right?)
Yes, I know, but I don't understand why we should be beholden to a misprint. If you were ranking Lenoir records, would you decline to include this?
No, and I also would include the ones by J.B. Lenore.
I'd make exactly the same response.

I'd also include his first record as J.B & His Bayou Boys

The various Battles included records by him listed as per label under
all these variations

2019-05-08 04:03:52 UTC
Don't Touch My Head - J.B. Lenior - 8
Lover Boy - Gene Wyatt - 7
All I Can Do Is Cry - Wayne Walker 5
Mean Old Blues - Harvey & The Moonglows - 4

2019-05-08 04:28:34 UTC
Don't Touch My Head - J.B. Lenior - 8
One of his best!!! (and there should be that !!! after the title :).

From the December 1956 session that also yielded his great "What About
Your Daughter". Willie Dixon is backing him up here
Post by Roger Ford
Lover Boy - Gene Wyatt - 7
Decent enough RAB by Arkansas born Wyatt with James Burton in tow
Post by Roger Ford
All I Can Do Is Cry - Wayne Walker 5
I wasn't impressed with this one. His earlier "Love Me" with Jimmy Lee
Fautheree on Chess is much better
Post by Roger Ford
Mean Old Blues - Harvey & The Moonglows - 4
I think the word I'm looking for here is "DIRE" !

In the 1950's we only ever got TWO Moonglows singles released over
here.

One was "Over And Over Again" (to tie in with the "Rock Rock Rock"
movie.

No prizes for guessing the other :)

2019-05-08 04:15:01 UTC
I didn't even like that Moonglows record much but it comes out at #2
because the other 2 are so awful. If we want to have a "white" record
come out on top we'll have to do better than this.

1-Don't Touch My Head - J.B. Lenior
2-Mean Old Blues - Harvey & The Moonglows
3-All I Can Do Is Cry - Wayne Walker
4-Lover Boy - Gene Wyatt
Carl
2019-05-08 04:29:34 UTC
Don’t Touch My Head
All I Can Do is Cry
Lover Boy
Mean Old Blues
Rick Schubert
2019-05-08 07:05:14 UTC
1. Mean Old Blues - Harvey & The Moonglows
2. Don't Touch My Head - J.B. Lenior
3. Lover Boy - Gene Wyatt
4. All I Can Do Is Cry - Wayne Walker

Weak group for me, although no particularly bad songs.
OleManRiver
2019-05-08 12:15:00 UTC
Dennis C
2019-05-08 13:08:30 UTC
1- "All I Can Do is Cry" - Slam bam driving drums and bass with Wayne Walker's haunting delivery makes this a winner!!

2- "Lover Boy"- I know..I know..It was the vogue to emulate Elvis back then but this cat on this record knocks it home, baby!!

3- "Don't touch my head"- Don't invade my ears

4-"Mean Old Blues" Lou Christie who's lost his helium done to a polka beat. Must be an inside joke at Chess Records. Trash it,baby!!
Jim Colegrove
2019-05-08 13:18:32 UTC
1. Lover Boy - Gene Wyatt

2. All I Can Do Is Cry - Wayne Walker

3. Don't Touch My Head - J.B. Lenior

4. Mean Old Blues - Harvey & The Moonglows
Mark Dintenfass
2019-05-08 13:30:30 UTC
Don't Touch My Head - J.B. Lenior
Lover Boy - Gene Wyatt