Semi-OT: Albert Goldman on CCR and 50s r&r
2019-05-09 13:29:31 UTC
Someone on Twitter dug this up. I thought it was interesting.

Here's Albert Goldman (best known for his hit-piece Elvis bio in the '70s and his hit-piece Lennon bio in the '80s) managing to sound racist in a review of Creedence Clearwater Revival, for Life magazine in the '60s.

https://twitter.com/the_60s_at_50/status/1126446845696401409?s=20

2019-05-09 13:52:23 UTC
Someone on Twitter dug this up. I thought it was interesting.
Here's Albert Goldman (best known for his hit-piece Elvis bio in the '70s and his hit-piece Lennon bio in the '80s) managing to sound racist in a review of Creedence Clearwater Revival, for Life magazine in the '60s.
https://twitter.com/the_60s_at_50/status/1126446845696401409?s=20
----------
I would describe myself as a John Fogerty fan, but CCR's version of "I
Put A Spell On You" is an awful record. He needed to find his own
voice, and "fortunate"-ly he did.

Not to sound like a broken record here, but really, just about any white
person talking about a black person or black people in general during
the 1960s is going to sound horribly racist by today's standards. That
includes you and me, and I know you were like 5 years old but even so.
Bob Roman
2019-05-09 15:12:37 UTC
Maybe so. And in the '70s, the fact that Elvis Presley was uncircumcised might have led more than Goldman to say he had an "ugly hillbilly pecker." But that doesn't make it right.

2019-05-09 17:34:15 UTC
--------
W H A A A A A T ? ? ? ? ! ! ! !
Roger Ford
2019-05-09 18:32:45 UTC
On Thu, 9 May 2019 08:12:37 -0700 (PDT), Bob Roman
Post by Bob Roman
Maybe so. And in the '70s, the fact that Elvis Presley was uncircumcised might have led more than Goldman to say he had an "ugly hillbilly pecker." But that doesn't make it right.
How is Goldman supposed to have known this was true?

2019-05-09 20:11:15 UTC
Maybe so. And in the '70s, the fact that Elvis Presley was uncircumcised
might have led more than Goldman to say he had an "ugly hillbilly
pecker." But that doesn't make it right.
How is Goldman supposed to have known this was true?
It's been almost 40 years since I read the book, but as I remember the story Goldman tells, Elvis's father got a late-in-life circumcision, to help him make the scene after his wife's death, and Elvis developed Oedipal jealousy over how much better his father's penis looked. Vernon, Goldman says, had a nice clean shaft while Elvis was stuck with his "ugly hillbilly pecker." It was at this point in the book that I realized that I didn't need to take any of it seriously.

2019-05-09 23:10:01 UTC
Maybe so. And in the '70s, the fact that Elvis Presley was uncircumcised
might have led more than Goldman to say he had an "ugly hillbilly
pecker." But that doesn't make it right.
How is Goldman supposed to have known this was true?
It's been almost 40 years since I read the book, but as I remember the story Goldman tells, Elvis's father got a late-in-life circumcision, to help him make the scene after his wife's death, and Elvis developed Oedipal jealousy over how much better his father's penis looked. Vernon, Goldman says, had a nice clean shaft while Elvis was stuck with his "ugly hillbilly pecker." It was at this point in the book that I realized that I didn't need to take any of it seriously.
----------Good grief.
Having read this guy's book about Lenny Bruce, I felt no need or desire
to read his book about Elvis. Looking back, I think he was trying to
emulate the "gonzo journalism" of Hunter S. Thompson but just came off
as mean-spirited and jealous.
Dean F.
If you'd like a really good Elvis bio, I recommend Peter Guralnick's two-volume set, LAST TRAIN TO MEMPHIS and CARELESS LOVE.
Bob Roman
2019-05-11 11:44:57 UTC
Guralnick's book is stronger in discussing his life, music, and influences, but it's pretty weak on the topic of foreskins.

2019-05-10 15:23:15 UTC
On Thu, 9 May 2019 13:11:15 -0700 (PDT), Bob Roman
Post by Roger Ford
Maybe so. And in the '70s, the fact that Elvis Presley was uncircumcised=
might have led more than Goldman to say he had an "ugly hillbilly
pecker." But that doesn't make it right.
How is Goldman supposed to have known this was true?
It's been almost 40 years since I read the book, but as I remember the stor=
y Goldman tells, Elvis's father got a late-in-life circumcision, to help hi=
m make the scene after his wife's death, and Elvis developed Oedipal jealou=
sy over how much better his father's penis looked. Vernon, Goldman says, ha=
d a nice clean shaft while Elvis was stuck with his "ugly hillbilly pecker.=
" It was at this point in the book that I realized that I didn't need to ta=
ke any of it seriously.
All of this sounds complete nonsense to me.

I know the practice of circumcision is commonplace over there (much
rarer here except of course with the religious groups that practice
the trreatment) but I can't understand it affects Vernon Presley
"making the scene" as Goldman quaintly puts it.

I've been to the USA many times and I know friends here who have too
and nobody AFAIK has experienced any "problems" of that nature with
women whilst in the U.S

2019-05-11 12:13:59 UTC
Post by Roger Ford
[...]
-----------
I wish Bob hadn't brought this up. However:

American men (maybe all men, but I'm limiting this to my own experience)
all seem to have the same delusion that women care what their (the
men's) genitals *look* like. Thus the endless string of news stories
about men "sexting" unwanted photos of their equipment to women, or
worse, to underage girls.

Almost 50 years ago a guy I had just met *mailed* me some *Polaroids* of
his genitalia. It had the exact opposite effect of what he thought it
would. I was no fragile flower back then, but it seemed utterly bizarre
to me, as if someone had introduced us and instead of extending his hand
he had unzipped his fly.

No one wants to see it. Just keep it clean.
Dennis C
2019-05-11 13:36:39 UTC
Meet the Swinger!
Polaroid Swinger!

It's more than a camera
It's almost alive!
It's only nineteen dollars
And ninety Five!

Mark Dintenfass
2019-05-09 14:08:40 UTC
Someone on Twitter dug this up. I thought it was interesting.
Here's Albert Goldman (best known for his hit-piece Elvis bio in the '70s and
his hit-piece Lennon bio in the '80s) managing to sound racist in a review of
Creedence Clearwater Revival, for Life magazine in the '60s.
https://twitter.com/the_60s_at_50/status/1126446845696401409?s=20
More stupid and clueless than racist. As Diane said, that time was that
time. Anyway, I've always believed that of all the successful bands of
the 60s, CCR was the most rooted and loyal to the great music of the
50s.