Instrumentals - Vol 13
2021-03-31 14:12:32 UTC
Jimmy Wright {tenor sax} AHO - Move Over [Rama 189; Gee 1006] - 1955; 1956

"some of the wildest sax blasting ever"
Resident band leader for George Goldner's Rama and Gee record labels throughout
the '50s, so Jimmy Wright backed records by Frankie Lymon, The Cleftones,
The Valentines (e.g. "Woo Woo Train") ...

Gil Bernal - Easyville [Spark 102] - 1954

a Leiber and Stoller composition

The Shades f. Lee Cook {Memphis} - Strollin' After Dark [Scottie 1309;;Atlanta, GA] - 1959

The Cramps reworked this into the song "I Was A Teenage Werewolf".

The Rondels {Boston's South Shore} - Back Beat No. 1 [Amy 825;;NYC] - 1961
{noted for it's drum break, by Lenny Collins}

Has been used as the theme song for a radio Oldies Show.
"For my whole career on drums (50 yrs and going) I judged my toms tuning
against this song - and I leaned heavily on triplets too - what a memorable
solo to leave behind."
For this recording:
Lennie Petze - lead gtr on a Fender Strat through a Fender Tremolux Amp
Jimmy Petze - rhythm gtr on a Fender Jaguar through a Fender Super Twin Amp,
and he played the overdubbed bass gtr after tuning his guitar down an octave
Ray Pizzi - sax, Lenny Collins - drums.
The full story of the group: http://therondels.net/rondels-pipeline-9/

Ted Russell {aka Wade Curtiss, "Duane" De Santo} (And His) Rhythm Rockers -
Real Cool [Glee LO8W-0568;;Ind.) - 1960

Rex Qual (Guitar Jr.) - Tranquilizer Boogie [Apache AR-1836; Crestview, Fla.] - 1960

The Rockbusters {CA} - Tough Chick [Cadence 1371;;NYC] - 1959
"What a tough chick!".

played on a 1954 5-speaker Seeburg model R Jukebox - great sound

"Great moody Surf Instrumental/Titty Twister". "Nice and sleazy, slow drag"
"Dig this one daddio!; what you doin' baby"

Gabriel and The Angels - Hey! [April 1102; Amy 802] - 1960
2:13 long, sounds the right speed to me

however, most YT posts are 1:58 long, and they do sound speeded up:

"60s Jungle Garage Teen Beat" with a middle eastern flavor

Fritz & Jerry - Pad [RIP 202;;Hollywood] - 1958

Bob Vidone and The Rhythm Rockers {New England} -
Weird [Fleetwood 1003;;NY] - 1958

a record that would fit into the Halloween scene
"Sounds like a crazy hybrid of Link Wray and The Viscounts."

and now for something completely different:

The Big Ben Banjo Band - Lets Get Together No 1
[UK Columbia D.B. 3549] - late 1954
Side 1

I'm just wild about Harry
April showers {nice, with changing instrument sounds}
Rock-a-bye your baby {saloon piano}
Swanee {frantic banjo}
Side 2

The Darktown Strutters' Ball {smoothly trumpet led}
For me and my gal {accordion and banjo led}
Oh! You beautiful doll {saloon piano foot tapper}
Yes Sir! That's my baby {lively if not frantic}
Ken Whiton
2021-04-02 01:17:35 UTC
*-* On Wed, 31 Mar 2021, at 10:12:32 -0400,
*-* In Article <***@4ax.com>,
*-* RWC wrote
*-* About Instrumentals - Vol 13

[ ... ]
Post by RWC
Gabriel and The Angels - Hey! [April 1102; Amy 802] - 1960
2:13 long, sounds the right speed to me
http://youtu.be/sztfFUbqKVE
http://youtu.be/uK8TC0qEfY4
"60s Jungle Garage Teen Beat" with a middle eastern flavor
Both labels show the time as 1:58 on the labels:

April <http://www.45cat.com/record/nc267346us>
Amy <http://www.45cat.com/record/nc291926us>.

One of the comments on the Amy page addresses the speed/time
difference in the videos.

FIDO: 1:132/152
InterNet: ***@surfglobal.net.INVAL (remove the obvious to reply)
RWC
2021-04-02 18:11:55 UTC
Post by Ken Whiton
Post by RWC
Gabriel and The Angels - Hey! [April 1102; Amy 802] - 1960
2:13 long, sounds the right speed to me
http://youtu.be/sztfFUbqKVE
http://youtu.be/uK8TC0qEfY4
"60s Jungle Garage Teen Beat" with a middle eastern flavor
April <http://www.45cat.com/record/nc267346us>
Amy <http://www.45cat.com/record/nc291926us>
One of the comments on the Amy page addresses the speed/time
difference in the videos.
Thanks Ken, I still prefer the slower "popcorn" version.