The Number Ones: Percy Faith’s “Theme From A Summer Place“
2018-11-26 06:20:41 UTC
Bob Roman wrote :-
A writer named Tom Breihan has been reviewing, in order, every song to hit #1 in the Billboard Hot 100.
Percy Faith – “Theme From A Summer Place“
HIT #1: February 22, 1960
STAYED AT #1: 9 weeks
How, exactly, does stuff like this happen? A piece of fluffy and inconsequential instrumental music,
from a tawdry and manipulative melodrama that nobody even remembers today, ends up dominating
the Billboard Hot 100 for a good chunk of 1960, selling more records than any other single that year
Don't think so. That honor goes to "It's Now Or Never" I believe
and, for good measure, winning the Grammy for Record Of The Year. On top of that, Percy Faith’s
version of “Theme From A Summer Place” isn’t even the one that plays during the movie, and it isn’t
even the movie’s main theme.
And it isn't even the original version. Before it was titled "A Summer
Pllace" THIS is the actual original

And as "Theme From A Summer Place" this was the first one before Faith

The movie is shit but I always liked this melody from it and I give
the Faith instrumental a 6

Here's how it did in the 1959 (yes 1959! It took six months or so to
get to #1) Singles Battle

R1
4 Richard Barrett - Snake And The Bookworm - 20th Fox 150
23 Percy Faith - Theme From A Summer Place - Columbia 41490
R2
10 Skip & Flip - It Was I - Brent 7002
13 Percy Faith - Theme From A Summer Place - Columbia 41490
R3
19 Marv Johnson - You Got What It Takes - United Artists 185
8 Percy Faith - Theme From A Summer Place - Columbia 41490

2018-11-26 14:11:52 UTC
Bob Roman wrote :-
[...]
http://youtu.be/uEW5DHbBrb0
And as "Theme From A Summer Place" this was the first one before Faith
Please note the triplets played on piano in this. It recalls the
dsicussion of "chiming" as it was termed in the group.
In Faith's version the triplets come from a combined instrument
source.
http://youtu.be/cNJSp3_qEKs