Obscure 1950s Era Recordings - August - Preliminary Round - Group 9
2020-08-10 12:30:29 UTC
Group 9 is now open. Please rank these from best to worst

Send Me Flowers - Six Teens

Pink And Black - Sonny Fisher

I'm Calling - Dells

Your Sweet Love - Kings

Gaines Boogie - Freddie Strong with Fats Gaines

SavoyBG
2020-08-10 12:30:54 UTC

1. Pink And Black - Sonny Fisher
2. Send Me Flowers - Six Teens
3. Gaines Boogie - Freddie Strong with Fats Gaines
4. I'm Calling - Dells
5. Your Sweet Love - Kings
Steve Mc
2020-08-10 13:52:03 UTC
1. Pink And Black - Sonny Fisher

2. Gaines Boogie - Freddie Strong with Fats Gaines

3. I'm Calling - Dells

4. Your Sweet Love - Kings

5. Send Me Flowers - Six Teens

2020-08-10 14:02:13 UTC
1. Gaines Boogie - Freddie Strong with Fats Gaines

2. Pink And Black - Sonny Fisher

3. Send Me Flowers - Six Teens

4. Your Sweet Love - Kings

5. I'm Calling - Dells
DianeE
2020-08-10 12:41:36 UTC
1-I'm Calling - Dells
2-Your Sweet Love - Kings
3-Gaines Boogie - Freddie Strong with Fats Gaines
4-Send Me Flowers - Six Teens
5-Pink And Black - Sonny Fisher
Roger Ford
2020-08-10 13:36:40 UTC
Group 9 is now open. Please rank these from best to worst
Pink And Black - Sonny Fisher - 7
Your Sweet Love - Kings - 7
Gaines Boogie - Freddie Strong with Fats Gaines - 7
I'm Calling - Dells - 7
Send Me Flowers - Six Teens - 7

2020-08-10 13:47:18 UTC
Group 9 is now open. Please rank these from best to worst
Send Me Flowers - Six Teens
http://youtu.be/22u6KhW6Lyw
Surprisingly good followup (+ 1) by the Los Angeles ensemble to their
"A Casual Look" hit in 1956.Released on the West Coast Flip label (not
to be confused with the sometime Memphis label of that name operated
by Sam Phillips)
Post by SavoyBG
Pink And Black - Sonny Fisher
http://youtu.be/JAwBBTGnRx4
Sonny had just four original singles to his name all of them on
Starday. This decent rockabilly was the fourth and last in 1956 and
maintains a high quality to the end
Post by SavoyBG
I'm Calling - Dells
http://youtu.be/3ZCnmKxnAvw
Apologies to the Dells but I don't think any of their sides that Vee
Jay released in 1958 were included in that years Singles Battle. That
was probably because tho most of them were quite good (with the
notable exception of "Jeepers Creepers" a song I dislike in most any
version) there was nothing stellar in any of them.
Post by SavoyBG
Your Sweet Love - Kings
http://youtu.be/y2s7o-9W5fE
Here's another group---this time hailing from Baltimore---with a long
lonnnng pedigree going all the way back to Bobby Hall & The Kings
(Jax) who begat The Ramblers (MGM) who begat The Kings (several labels
inc RCA) who begat Little Hooks & The Kings with with their memorable
"Count Your Blessings" that wound up on Chess. There is most always
quality in their recordings under all these different names including
The Kings fine RCA recording of "Your Sweet Love" in 1959
Post by SavoyBG
Gaines Boogie - Freddie Strong with Fats Gaines
http://youtu.be/UNOkU1MD_g4
Hot jump shouter with Freddie Strong fronting Fats Gaines & His Band
on Aladdin.Released in 1952.

2020-08-10 14:57:59 UTC
Group 9 is now open. Please rank these from best to worst
1 Send Me Flowers - Six Teens
Post by SavoyBG
http://youtu.be/22u6KhW6Lyw
2 Your Sweet Love - Kings
Post by SavoyBG
http://youtu.be/y2s7o-9W5fE
3 I'm Calling - Dells
Post by SavoyBG
http://youtu.be/3ZCnmKxnAvw
4 Pink And Black - Sonny Fisher
Post by SavoyBG
http://youtu.be/JAwBBTGnRx4
5 Gaines Boogie - Freddie Strong with Fats Gaines
http://youtu.be/UNOkU1MD_g4
Carl
2020-08-10 14:59:49 UTC
1-I'm Calling - Dells
2-Your Sweet Love - Kings
3-Pink And Black - Sonny Fisher
4-Send Me Flowers - Six Teens
5-Gaines Boogie - Freddie Strong with Fats Gaines
Mark Dintenfass
2020-08-10 15:27:10 UTC
Group 9 is now open. Please rank these from best to worst
1. Your Sweet Love - Kings
2. I'm Calling - Dells
3. Send Me Flowers - Six Teens
4. Gaines Boogie - Freddie Strong with Fats Gaines
5. Pink And Black - Sonny Fisher
SavoyBG
2020-08-10 16:28:18 UTC
FINAL RANKINGS, same as Mark's list.

I'm Calling - Dells - 30 (5-4)
Your Sweet Love - Kings - 30
Pink And Black - Sonny Fisher - 29

Send Me Flowers - Six Teens - 23 (5-4)
Gaines Boogie - Freddie Strong with Fats Gaines - 23

Mark's Dells wins the group. edging Rick's Kings on a tie breaker. My Sonny Fisher is slightly behind in third place. Bill's 6T edges Jim's Boogie in a tie breaker, but both are out as 23 points is not enough for a 4th place item to advance.
SavoyBG
2020-08-10 16:38:20 UTC
Here are the 32 items that have made it into round 1:

Can't Find My Sadie - Checkers (Roger)
The Fine One - Five Hearts (Rick)
Teen Town Hop - The Philharmonics (Jim)
I Wish I Knew - Bobby Mitchell & The Toppers (Carl)
Hear My Plea Baby - Arthur Gunter (Steve)
Gas Happy Mama - The Royals (Jim)
Don't Give No More Than You Can Take (Bruce)
I'm Gonna Catch You (Cuttin' Out On Me) - Curtis Carrington (Roger)
Honey Honey - Supremes (Roger)
How Much I Owe - The Radio Four (Jim)
Easy Baby - Magic Sam (Diane)
Red’s Blues - Piano Red (Carl)
Walk Your Blues Away - Professor Longhair (Mark)
You Better Believe It - Paul Gayten (Steve)
Promises Promises Promises - The Penguins (Carl)
Hole In The Ground - Freddie Kohlman Orch. (Cousin Joe) (Diane)
Look Out Baby - Don Feger (Steve)
Getting Dizzy - Elegants (Mark)
Red Head 'n' Cadillac - Eddie Williams and Brown Buddies w/Floyd Dixon (Jim)
Home At Last - Little Willie John (Bruce)
Baby, Don't Put Me Down - (Rick)
Blues For My Cookie - Lightnin’ Hopkins (Carl)
Mind Your Own Business Babe - Arthur Gunter (Bruce)
Special Lesson #1 - Billy Tate (Roger)
I'm A Lonely Man - Little Milton (Diane)
Tell Me - Howlin' Wolf (Bruce)
A Jumpin and A Shufflin - Joe Hill Louis (Steve)
Mississippi Boogie - Jimmy Liggins (Roger)
You've Been Mistreating Me - Big Bill Broonzy (Diane)
I'm Calling - Dells (Mark)
Your Sweet Love - Kings (Rick)
Pink And Black - Sonny Fisher (Bruce)
RWC
2020-08-11 00:22:44 UTC
Bruce 5
Roger 5
Carl 4
Diane 4
Jim 4
Steve 4
Mark 3
Rick 3

"You've all done very well"

{Everyone} Thank you Mr Hill

btw, for non-Americans, Gross is pronounced as in Floss, not as in
Grocer
DianeE
2020-08-11 02:09:33 UTC
"You've all done very well"
http://youtu.be/p6ddSA9lrkc
{Everyone} Thank you Mr Hill
-----------
What *is* that? I clicked on it because I saw "Mr Hill" and thought
that meant Benny.
RWC
2020-08-11 03:26:14 UTC
"You've all done very well"
http://youtu.be/p6ddSA9lrkc
{Everyone} Thank you Mr Hill
-----------
What *is* that? I clicked on it because I saw "Mr Hill" and thought
that meant Benny.
Apparently, Grossberg, which btw, is a rare surname in the US, can be
translated to the obvious 'big mountain', or to 'hill', and hill is a
common surname (surely only an American Indian could be named the
other :) - incidently, we are told the name is of Jewish (Ashkenazic)
origin.

The video has clips taken from an old comedy "Are You Being Served",
set in an apartment store - the elderly guy is the store's owner, who
makes occasional brief appearances (and amusingly always has one or
two highly attractive young female 'assistants'). He is famous for
encouraging his employees with the aforesaid closing compliment.

I'm sure the Obscure contest's 'boss' is very pleased with how the
players have voted all his nominations thru to the next round :-)