very OT: new Cheeky Chappie expression
2020-03-21 05:49:11 UTC
Re: COVID 19

Doesn't look original, but I've yet to hear anyone say this boldly; it has a
nuanced meaning and the person saying it is not necessarily a 'badie'':

"I'm going hoarding" (or similar, past, current, or future tense expressions
that use the perjoritive word 'hoard')

or, in a more whimsical mood:

"I'm going a-hoarding"

referring to the alarming (shelf-emptying) supermarket shopping habits of late.

The important nuanced meaning of these expressions are a combination of:

1. *I don't feel guilty* (well, perhaps a smidgin, but personal and family
survival clearly takes priority), because
2. I don't trust the 'authorities' to absolutely guarantee the supply chain to
supermarkets for the next six months or more, and
3. Many other people (irrationally or not) are causing shelves to be emptied,
so it's a case of survival, by way of 'timely get up and go initiative'.

World news is showing videos of Americans queuing up to buy guns (apparently to
help guard against food theft from their homes).

One can read several different news items, and they are seemingly not fake,
about some individuals who have caught this Coronavirus and have been
successfully treated (cured or the symptons greatly ameliorated) after being
given re-purposed existing human drugs for SARS, Ebola, malaria and/or HIV.

Two specific examples, a 79-year-old infected Italian man has allegedly
recovered after being given the Ebola [btw, named after a river in northern
Democratic Republic of the Congo] antiviral drug "Remdesivir": in Australia,
"patients in secret trials have fully recovered after being treated with HIV and
malaria medication" - in more detail, HIV medication Kaletra and malaria
treatment hydroxychloroquine (Chinese researchers question the effectiveness of
Kaletra). US companies Moderna and Inovio Pharmaceuticals are currently in
testing phases.

The question is, while each of these cases might be claimed to be just a
"trial/test", surely people who know about these facts(?) will ask, or even
insist, that doctors give them, or a close relative, these medications - if they
are perceived to be at death's door (what is there to lose?).

(I imagine Trump and other "influential" individuals around the world would
[secretly?] be given these drugs if they caught the virus and were suffering
from serious lung problems.)

Boris Johnson's 'Republican' UK government will now pay 80% of a person's
salary, up to 2,500 pounds a month, for folk not actively working because of the
pandemic. That's good.
BUT, this money still only goes to business owners. It's the *bosses* that have
to fill in the paperwork, on behalf of their workers...
DianeE
2020-03-21 17:55:33 UTC
I am confused (again). Googled "Cheeky Chappie" and he was a British
comedian, long since deceased, whose stage name was Max Miller. He did
record an album in 1962 so *he* isn't off topic, but how can there be a
new Cheeky Chappie expression? It would be like saying "a new Groucho
Marx expression."
RWC
2020-03-21 23:31:23 UTC
I am confused (again). Googled "Cheeky Chappie" and he was a British
comedian, long since deceased, whose stage name was Max Miller. He did
record an album in 1962 so *he* isn't off topic, but how can there be a
new Cheeky Chappie expression? It would be like saying "a new Groucho
Marx expression."
Diane, it was just a coincidence that a British comedian had this name - I'd
never heard of him until I checked the spelling of "Chappie" (v. Chappy).
I used capitals because it was in a heading and I wanted to highlight the
description compared to the words 'new' and 'expression'.

Sorry for the confusion, my bad as Roger would say - it didn't occur to me that
someone might actually look up the 'description'. I suppose this is an example
of (wartime) black humor - hoarding (that causes empty shelves) is of course not
good for health workers coming off long shifts, folk with limited mobility, etc.
As you probably know, many supermarkets in the free world are now reserving
their first hour of trade for senior citizens and carers, and now essential
services workers are being added to that cohort (who still, unfortunately, often
find shelves empty of basic requirements, during this first hour). I've just
heard that the Brits are planning to use the army to help supply people 75+ that
are confined to their homes and with no-one else to help them.
DianeE
Roger Ford
2020-03-22 11:08:01 UTC
I am confused (again). Googled "Cheeky Chappie" and he was a British
comedian, long since deceased, whose stage name was Max Miller. He did
record an album in 1962 so *he* isn't off topic, but how can there be a
new Cheeky Chappie expression? It would be like saying "a new Groucho
Marx expression."
Here's one by Max from 1953 I know you'll want to consider nominating
for Bruce's April contest :)

2020-03-22 15:55:22 UTC
I am confused (again). Googled "Cheeky Chappie" and he was a British
comedian, long since deceased, whose stage name was Max Miller. He did
record an album in 1962 so *he* isn't off topic, but how can there be a
new Cheeky Chappie expression? It would be like saying "a new Groucho
Marx expression."
Here's one by Max from 1953 I know you'll want to consider nominating
for Bruce's April contest :)
http://youtu.be/bouJ9mgq5VM
A rousing and lyrically moving 'Victorian music hall' style song.

This song represents the deep seated respect and default affection that most
Brit males have for females.

(as distinct from many *urban* 3rd generation socially outgoing New Zealand and
South African white males, who up to the age of around 30, generally look upon
females as 'fuck-fodder' - so I'm informed. Australia is different apparently,
because there has been continuous substantial immigration from Europe...
Issued in 1976, Gordon McLauchlan's best-selling book was a telling social
commentary on New Zealand, and was entitled "The *Passionless* People".)

I had heard of 'Max Miller' (Thomas Henry Sargent,1894 - 1963), but not his
alias, 'The Cheeky Chappie'.

"{Max} was the second child of James Sargent, a laborer and Alice (née West), a
flower seller, {born in the popular seaside resort of Brighton on the south
coast of England - so not a true Cockney}....

"Max was widely regarded as the greatest stand-up comedian of his generation".

Max Miller tells jokes - he was well-known for his flamboyant suits:

Performing his signature song at 2:53, 'Mary From The Dairy' (from the film
'Hoots Mon' 1940), Max opens the lyrics by saying he is known as "the cheeky
chappie":

Discography, Singles and Extended Plays:

1953 "Let's Have A Ride On Your Bicycle" / "My Old Mum", Philips Records:
P.B.199
- ...Bicycle... (Max wrote this
song, but not the sentimental b-side. 'Bicycle Ride' refers to sex; "his risqué
jokes often got him into trouble with the censors.")
https://www.discogs.com/Max-Miller-Lets-Have-A-Ride-On-Your-Bicycle/release/1748932

1957 "Max At The Met", Pye Records: PEP-001
https://www.discogs.com/Max-Miller-Max-At-The-Met/release/7288801
A1 Passing The Time Away

A2 Hearts And Flowers
B1 Be Sincere
B2 The Fan Dancer (Oh Dear What Can The Matter Be)
B3 Mary Ann (The Five Year Plan)

1962 "The Market Song" / "Tit-Bits", Pye Records: 7N.15493 (with Lonnie Donegan
and The Lonnie Donegan Group)
...Market...
Tit-Bits
https://www.discogs.com/Lonnie-Donegan-With-The-Lonnie-Donegan-Group-Max-Miller-The-Market-Song-Tit-Bits/release/4837146
DianeE
2020-03-23 12:05:05 UTC
I am confused (again). Googled "Cheeky Chappie" and he was a British
comedian, long since deceased, whose stage name was Max Miller. He did
record an album in 1962 so *he* isn't off topic, but how can there be a
new Cheeky Chappie expression? It would be like saying "a new Groucho
Marx expression."
Here's one by Max from 1953 I know you'll want to consider nominating
for Bruce's April contest :)
http://youtu.be/bouJ9mgq5VM
Thanks for the.......edification.