Annie Ross RIP
2020-07-22 16:37:00 UTC
Ray must be on vacation.
Annie Ross died yesterday of emphysema and heart disease, four days
before her 90th birthday. She was a pretty amazing jazz singer.
She was also a hardcore dope fiend, and frankly I assumed she had died
many years ago! Boy, you never know.

Here she is singing lead on one of my favorite Duke Ellington songs, "In
A Mellow Tone":

https://tinyurl.com/y62qb7m6
-OR-

Mark Dintenfass
2020-07-22 17:17:26 UTC
Ray must be on vacation.
Annie Ross died yesterday of emphysema and heart disease, four days
before her 90th birthday. She was a pretty amazing jazz singer.
She was also a hardcore dope fiend, and frankly I assumed she had died
many years ago! Boy, you never know.
Here she is singing lead on one of my favorite Duke Ellington songs, "In
https://tinyurl.com/y62qb7m6
-OR-
http://youtu.be/CVE8bG_YBcg
She certainly had the licks, and I hadn't known she had a drug problem.
I am dubious that she could have lived to ninety if her addiction was
lifelong and as serious as you suggest. I was going to try "Twisted,"
from her LH&R days, in the obscurities battle, but I don't see it on my
ever-growing list of songs I've nominated, so I must have decided it
wouldn't get anywhere with this group. Here it is by way of tribute.

2020-07-22 17:32:24 UTC
Exactly the opposite!
Here’s the BBC Obit...
https://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-53497774