Obscure 1950s Recordings Tournament - May Preliminary Round - Group 9
2019-05-09 00:27:49 UTC

I Still Care - The Mellows & Lillian Leach

I Won't Cry - Little David and His Harps

In the Wilderness - The Five Blind Boys

Doctor Velvet - Doc Starkes & The Nite Riders

SavoyBG
2019-05-09 00:42:22 UTC

I Won't Cry - Little David and His Harps - 8
Doctor Velvet - Doc Starkes & The Nite Riders - 7
I Still Care - The Mellows & Lillian Leach - 6
In the Wilderness - The Five Blind Boys - 5

Better group than we've had in a while. Little David and the Harps was Savoy's answer to Clyde and the Drifters and Atlantic took notice as Little David soon replaced was the tenor lead of the Drifters when they they took Clyde solo. The Doc Starkes is offbeat and cool like their other good records. The Mellows is smooth. The Five Blind Boys has good harmony at times and soul, but the "In The Wilderness" line which is repeated so much gets cumbersome to me, so it gets the last place slot on my ballot.
Dennis C
2019-05-09 02:08:28 UTC
1- "I Still Care"- Lillian Leach's voice is pure velvet and the backup blend was quite sound.Enough to make up for the clunky snare beat, two chord guitar, and "Chopsticks" on the piano, baby!!

2- "In the Wilderness"- If I hear this one more time, it might be my fave.I don't think these guys were Catholic!!

3- "Doctor Velvet"- hyperactive mess melodically but a ballsy sax that kicks off a solid instrumental break keeps it afloat.

4- "I Won't Cry"- Some overgrown Philistine needs to stomp this Little David and put him out of his quavering nasal misery, baby!!
Bob Roman
2019-05-09 02:22:18 UTC
1. Boys
2. Riders
3. Harps
4. Mellows

2019-05-09 02:39:33 UTC
1. Doctor Velvet - Doc Starkes & The Nite Riders
2. In the Wilderness - The Five Blind Boys
3. I Won't Cry - Little David and His Harps
4. I Still Care - The Mellows & Lillian Leach
Rick Schubert
2019-05-09 03:26:38 UTC
1. I Won't Cry - Little David and His Harps
2. I Still Care - The Mellows & Lillian Leach
3. In the Wilderness - The Five Blind Boys
4. Doctor Velvet - Doc Starkes & The Nite Riders
Jim Colegrove
2019-05-09 03:41:09 UTC
1. In the Wilderness - The Five Blind Boys

2. Doctor Velvet - Doc Starkes & The Nite Riders

Steve Mc
2019-05-09 14:16:45 UTC
1. I Won't Cry - Little David and His Harps

2. Doctor Velvet - Doc Starkes & The Nite Riders

3. I Still Care - The Mellows & Lillian Leach

4. In the Wilderness - The Five Blind Boys

2019-05-09 04:14:15 UTC
I Won't Cry - Little David and His Harp - 8
I Still Care - The Mellows & Lillian Leach - 7
In the Wilderness - The Five Blind Boys - 7
Doctor Velvet - Doc Starkes & The Nite Riders - 7

2019-05-09 04:51:29 UTC
Exceptionally strongf group where all of them fully deserve to go
through
Post by Roger Ford
I Won't Cry - Little David and His Harp - 8
"Little David" is David Baughan who was first replacement for Clyde in
the Drifters after his departure. That's Dave you can hear on lead
duties on their excellent "Honey Bee".Later on he can also be heard as
lead on the Drifters reunion group Harmony Grits' "I Could Have Told
You" on End in 1959.

But back in 1955 he was recording the above gem for Grandaddy Herman
Post by Roger Ford
I Still Care - The Mellows & Lillian Leach - 7
Lillian & co rarely disappoint and the ultra-smooth followup to their
"Smoke From Your Cigarette" classic certainly doesn't
Post by Roger Ford
In the Wilderness - The Five Blind Boys - 7
Way back to 1950 for this one that I didn't remember hearing before.My
kinda gospel!!
Post by Roger Ford
Doctor Velvet - Doc Starkes & The Nite Riders - 7
I like this one from 1954 but it can't compare to the tremendous
"Women And Cadillacs" from earlier that year that it was the followup

2019-05-09 05:46:36 UTC
1. I Still Care - The Mellows & Lillian Leach
Bill B
2019-05-09 10:58:52 UTC
http://youtu.be/s8HhhiPtGxs
http://youtu.be/62Q1BGRHCls
http://youtu.be/bh-NchgWp0I
http://youtu.be/EBa9BwhL0wY
DianeE
2019-05-09 12:54:56 UTC
I liked all of these records. The Little David was the only one I was
familiar with before. The Doc Starkes is a keeper. I ranked the gospel
record #4 in this group, but in a couple of the previous groups it would
have been #1 for me. That's why I have to keep reminding myself that
this "tournament" format is just for fun.

Mark Dintenfass
2019-05-09 14:21:53 UTC
Tough choices because they're all fairly good. I like the Leach/Mellows
records a lot, but this one seems to be missing something. The
instrumental break on "Doctor Velvet" put it on top.

2019-05-09 15:19:13 UTC

1. I Won't Cry - Little David and His Harps - 34
2. In the Wilderness - The Five Blind Boys - 29
3. Doctor Velvet - Doc Starkes & The Nite Riders - 29

4. I Still Care - The Mellows & Lillian Leach - 28

In a furious battles among the bottom 3 records the Mellows are out after Mark's last place ranking on the final ballot. The other 3 advance with the Blind Boys taking the tie breaker over the Nite Riders by virtue of being ranked higher on 7 of the 12 ballots.