Obscure 1950s Era Recordings - March - Preliminary Round - Group 6
2020-03-07 13:51:53 UTC

2020-03-07 13:52:40 UTC

2020-03-07 14:54:47 UTC
2020-03-07 14:40:13 UTC

2020-03-07 15:37:27 UTC

4. So Lonely Baby - The Five Stars

5. Rock-A-Locka - Five Wings

2020-03-07 14:41:09 UTC
Goin' Down - Fats Matthews - 8
Rain Or Shine - Big Mike - 8
Rock-A-Locka - Five Wings - 8
So Lonely Baby - The Five Stars - 7
Squeeze Me Baby - Crystals - 7

The Matthews is my favorite record in the contest and was from the
word go

But I had the Big Mike as a 7 but have revised it to an 8 now I've got
it at proper speed. Thanks Bruce!

Note both of these supercede my own nomination :)

2020-03-07 14:51:10 UTC
Rain Or Shine - Big Mike
http://youtu.be/uJ_4aaAMEO8
Thankfully the new YT clip is now at the CORRECT speed (thanks to
Bruce) and has resulted in me revising my assessment of the
record.going from a 7 (yesterday) to an 8 (today)

Recorded in New York City January 20 1955. Personnel : Mike Gordon
(vcl) Buddy Lucas (ten sax) Budd Johnson (bar sax) Howard Biggs (pno)
Wally Richardson (gtr) Abie Baker (bs) Dave Bailey (dms).The same
session also produced the "Down In New Orleans" Savoy 1152 flip which
I like a bit better (tho both are very good)---and which side WAS in
the 1955 Battle

Incidentally that YT poster sounds like a pretty nice guy,right? :)
Post by SavoyBG
Squeeze Me Baby - Crystals
http://youtu.be/Y5GWkTXiKfc
Issued first on Luna 101 in 1954 as by The Crystals the record was
withdrawn not long after release. The discovery had been made that
there was a prexisting Crystals group releasing records on DeLuxe (of
course both of these were just two of the myriad of groups to have
used that name over the years---both male..and of course female).

The record was subsequently re-released as Luna 5001 with the group
now calling itself "The Opals". Their main claim to fame-at least with
r&b vocal group fans--- would come with their next record---the
excellent "Ooh But She Did" (even though IMO the El Capris version two
years later is even better still!)
Post by SavoyBG
So Lonely Baby - The Five Stars
http://youtu.be/40Dx-sZSwLI
Not to be confused with any of the several other groups of the same
name these are the Five Stars from Dallas that included future soul
star Al "TNT" Bragg in their ranks.
.
Starting out as "The Five Notes" they released "Park Your Love" on
Chess in 1955 before becoming The Five Stars and signing with B.B
King's short lived Blues Boy Kingdom label where they released a good
double sider "Hey Juanita"/"So Lonely Baby" in 1957.Okay regional
sales and their good reputation gained them a place with some other
top music acts (Rosco Gordon,Johnny Carroll etc) in the otherwise
Grade Z poverty row musical Dallas-made movie "Rock Baby Rock It".

Here's The Five Stars and "Hey Juanita" from that movie :-

Post by SavoyBG
Rock-A-Locka - Five Wings
http://youtu.be/zwlKyx3aQVE
Hailing from New York City,The Five Wings were Jackie Rue (lead),Billy
Carlisle (1st tenor),Frank Edwards (2nd tenor),Melvin Flood (baritone)
and Tommy Grate (bass). Rue later went on to become the "Jackie" of
Jackie & The Starlites whilst Carlisle and Grate became members of The
Dubs.Signed to King records in 1955 their first record was a double
sided tribute to the recently deceased Johnny Ace which they followed
up with this solid mover.

The record was reissued in 1959 with the same flipside ("Teardrops Are
Falling") but this time credited to "The Checkers" (Federal also
reissued the Sheiks original version of "So Fine" in 1959 to compete
with The Fiestas hit-and again it was now credited to The Checkers!!
WTF???)
Post by SavoyBG
Goin' Down - Fats Matthews
http://youtu.be/SQS1vpheLBk
In 1952 rotund Allen Matthews became the SECOND "Fats" discovered by
Dave Bartholomew and the second "Fats" bought by him to the attention
of Lew Chudd at Imperial. Matthews later became a member of The Hawks
r&b vocal group after he cut some solo records of which "Goin' Down"
(released on the Imperial subsidiary Bayou in 1953) is one of the very
best---and is my favourite record in this contest!!

2020-03-07 14:53:56 UTC
Once again I had a situation where I was going to put a record last
until I heard the fantastic instrumental break. That would be the Fats
Matthews record. As for the Big Mike record, it's fine at any speed!

1-Rain Or Shine - Big Mike
2-So Lonely Baby - The Five Stars
3-Squeeze Me Baby - Crystals
4-Goin' Down - Fats Matthews5-Rock-A-Locka - Five Wings
Dennis C
2020-03-07 14:58:13 UTC
1- The Five Stars

2- Fats Mathews

3- Big Mike

4- Crystals

5- Five Wings
Mark Dintenfass
2020-03-07 15:46:44 UTC
Rain Or Shine - Big Mike
So Lonely Baby - The Five Stars
Squeeze Me Baby - Crystals
Goin' Down - Fats Matthews
Rock-A-Locka - Five Wings

No bad ones here. I particularly like the sophisticated singing of the
Five Stars, learned on the gospel risers, no doubt. :)
2020-03-07 15:59:06 UTC
1. Rain Or Shine - Big Mike
2. So Lonely Baby - The Five Stars
3. Goin' Down - Fats Matthews
4. Rock-A-Locka - Five Wings
5. Squeeze Me Baby - Crystals
Rick Schubert
2020-03-07 18:11:56 UTC
1. Rock-A-Locka - Five Wings
2. So Lonely Baby - The Five Stars
3. Squeeze Me Baby - Crystals
4. Rain Or Shine - Big Mike
5. Goin' Down - Fats Matthews

Really strong group. First 2 are among the best of the month. #5 would be #3 in most groups.
SavoyBG
2020-03-07 22:11:11 UTC

1. Rain Or Shine - Big Mike - 38
2. So Lonely Baby - The Five Stars - 31
3. Goin' Down - Fats Matthews - 26
4. Squeeze Me Baby - Crystals - 24

5. Rock-A-Locka - Five Wings -16

Carl's Big Mike takes the group easily. Diane's Five Stars is second. Jim's Fats takes third and Steve's Crystals takes 4th. Roger's Five Wings never got off the ground!