A Very Unusual Christmas Record
2018-12-17 23:15:54 UTC
Heard this on Sirius 50s on 5:

I'm a traditionalist when it comes to Christmas music and am surprised how much I like this totally off the wall treatment of what is probably the most traditional Christmas hymn.

Silent Night (Huey Smith & the Clowns)
SavoyBG
2018-12-17 23:45:31 UTC
http://youtu.be/j8SSSRveq4U
I am a huge Huey Smith fan, but the Christmas stuff does not do it for me.
RWC
2018-12-18 08:25:59 UTC
http://youtu.be/j8SSSRveq4U
I'm a traditionalist when it comes to Christmas music and am surprised how much I like this totally off the wall treatment of what is probably the most traditional Christmas hymn.
Silent Night (Huey Smith & the Clowns) - 1961
many "Silent Night" recordings induce a feeling of ennui,
but here are 10 strong versions, hate 'em or love/like 'em:

Jackie & The Cedrics {Japanese}

a lighter guitar instrumental
The Spinners {Swedish}

more sedate than the above
Jim Baker and his pedal steel guitar - 1974 Christmas album

let's change pace now...

for traditionalists, a cappella, hark the contrasting bass voice:
Silent Night, Hallowed Night - Hayd{e}n Quartet [Victor]

said to be "the earliest Christmas tune of any kind, to have become a major hit
record"

The angelic, majestic sound of Elsie Baker - 1910

Bing Crosby with Victor Young's Orchestra & Guardsmen Quartette - Nov 1935
- curtesy MusicProf
more moving than his Aug 1942 and March 1947 Decca re-makes.
Bing arranged for the profits from the 1935 record to be donated to charity.

one of the best country versions ever!
Jimmy Wakely {with steel guitar, organ and the Mellomen Quartet} - 1949

Contemporary orchestral-pop-meister, André Rieu - 2012

mild rock
Shakin' Stevens {with doo-wop chorus}

finally, back to uplifting neo-surf; turn the volume and bass up, for,
Los Mel-Tones
https://app.box.com/s/lcusf2qps1quoqmwa30rgu9ymut7bvhu

Geoff
Dean F.
2018-12-18 11:29:45 UTC
The Temptations recorded "Silent Night" twice--first in 1970, then in 1980. The latter is my favorite version of the song:

Roger Ford
2018-12-18 19:10:19 UTC
On Tue, 18 Dec 2018 03:29:45 -0800 (PST), "Dean F."
Post by Dean F.
http://youtu.be/Orgquhm-g2o
It finished at #16 in the Christmas Champs Battlle

See listing elsewhere in thread

2018-12-18 15:35:20 UTC
http://youtu.be/j8SSSRveq4U
I'm a traditionalist when it comes to Christmas music and am surprised how much I like this totally off the wall treatment of what is probably the most traditional Christmas hymn.
Silent Night (Huey Smith & the Clowns)
Agreed. Perhaps the most unique take on the beautiful Silent Night.

It initially came up on here some years ago, probably during one of the
Christmas song threads/battles.

And in case you've never heard it, here's their companion piece
'Twas the Night Before Christmas, which has the "Up the chimley, up the
chimley he rose" phrase.

2018-12-18 15:52:25 UTC
Post by Steve Mc
Post by Bill B
http://youtu.be/j8SSSRveq4U
I'm a traditionalist when it comes to Christmas music and am surprised how much I like this totally off the wall treatment of what is probably the most traditional Christmas hymn.
Silent Night (Huey Smith & the Clowns)
Agreed. Perhaps the most unique take on the beautiful Silent Night.
It initially came up on here some years ago, probably during one of the
Christmas song threads/battles.
And in case you've never heard it, here's their companion piece
'Twas the Night Before Christmas, which has the "Up the chimley, up the
chimley he rose" phrase.
http://youtu.be/NrdES4xW2W4
This is what I was looking for Steve. A discussion of it's uniqueness and my surprise it was played on Sirius.

I am familiar with "Twas The Night Before Christmas." I have the CD pictured in my link.

Love the "chimley" part!
Roger Ford
2018-12-18 19:08:53 UTC
On Tue, 18 Dec 2018 07:35:20 -0800, Steve Mc
Post by Steve Mc
Post by Bill B
http://youtu.be/j8SSSRveq4U
I'm a traditionalist when it comes to Christmas music and am surprised how much I like this totally off the wall treatment of what is probably the most traditional Christmas hymn.
Silent Night (Huey Smith & the Clowns)
Agreed. Perhaps the most unique take on the beautiful Silent Night.
It initially came up on here some years ago, probably during one of the
Christmas song threads/battles.
It finished at #28 in the Christmas Champs Battlle

(thanks to Marc Dashevsky's web site for the listing)

1. The Drifters - White Christmas - Atlantic 1048 - 54
2. Chuck Berry - Run,Rudolph,Run - Chess 1714 - 58
3. King Cole Trio - The Christmas Song - Capitol 311 - 46
4. Elvis Presley - Blue Christmas - RCA LOC 1035 - 57
5. Brenda Lee - Rockin' Around The Christmas Tree - Decca 30776 - 58
6. Darlene Love - Christmas (Baby Please Come Home) - Philles LP 4005
7. Bing Crosby - White Christmas - Decca 18429 - 42
8. Charles Brown - Please Come Home For Christmas - King 5405 - 60
9. The Orioles - What Are You Doing New Year's Eve - Jubilee 5017 - 49
10. The Beach Boys - Little Saint Nick - Capitol 5096 - 62
11. The Ronettes - Sleigh Ride - Philles LP 4005 - 63
12. Bobby Helms - Jingle Bell Rock - Decca 30513 - 57
13. Darlene Love - Winter Wonderland - Philles LP 4005 - 63
14. Roy Orbison - Pretty Paper - Monument 830 - 63
14. Harry Simeone Chorale - The Little Drummer Boy - 2Oth Fox 121 - 58
16. The Temptations - Silent Night - Gordy LP 998 - 80
17.Eartha Kitt - Santa Baby - RCA 47-5502 - 53
18. John & Yoko & The Plastic Ono Band - Happy Xmas (War Is Over) -
Apple 1842 - 71
19. Gene Autry - Rudolph, The Red-Nosed Reindeer - Columbia 38610 - 49
20. The Swan Silvertones - Great Day In December - Vee Jay 232 - 56
21. Hank Ballard & The Midnighters - Santa Claus Is Coming - King 5729
- 62
22. The Ronettes - Frosty The Snowman - Philles LP 4005 - 63
23. Bruce Springsteen - Santa Claus Is Coming To Town - Columbia AS
1329 - 81
24. Hank Ballard & The Midnighters - Christmas Time For Everyone But
Me - King 5729 - 62
25. The Crystals - Santa Claus Is Comin' To Town - Philles LP 4005 -
63
26. The Enchanters - Mambo Santa Mambo - Coral 61216 - 57
27. The Andrews Sisters - Winter Wonderland - Decca 23722 - 46
28. Huey "Piano" Smith - Silent Night - Ace LP 1027 - 62
29. Huey "Piano" Smith - White Christmas Blue - Ace LP 1027 - 62
30. James Brown - Santa Claus Go Straight To The Ghetto - King 6203 -
68
31. Huey "Piano" Smith - Rock & Roll Santa Claus - Ace LP 1027 - 62
32. The Ravens - White Christmas - National 9062 - 48
33. The Pilgrim Travelers - I'll Be Home For Christmas - Specialty 837
- 52
34. David Seville & The Chipmunks - The Chipmunk Song - Liberty 55168
- 58
35. Darlene Love - White Christmas - Philles LP 4005 - 63
36. Huey "Piano" Smith - 'Twas The Night Before Christmas - Ace LP
1027 - 62
37.The Orioles - (It's Gonna Be A) Lonely Christmas - Jubilee 5001 -
48
38. The Moonglows - Just A Lonely Christmas - Chance 1150 -53
39. Lowell Fulson - Lonesome Christmas - Swingtime 242 - 50
40. Louis Armstrong - 'Zat You Santa Claus? - Decca 28943 - 53
40. The Moonglows - Hey Santa Claus - Chance 1150 - 53
42. Elvis Presley - Merry Christmas Baby - RCA LP 4579 - 71
43. The Sabers - Cool Cool Christmas - Cal-West 847 - 55
44. Carla Thomas - Gee Whiz It's Christmas - Atlantic 2212 - 63
45. The Staple Singers - Who Took The Merry Out Of Xmas - Stax 0084 -
70
46. Carla Thomas - All I Want For Christmas Is You - Stax 206 - 66
47. The Ravens - Silent Night - National 9062 - 48
48. The Shells - (It's A) Happy Holiday - Johnson 119 - 62
49. The Beach Boys - The Man With All The Toys - Capitol 5312 - 64
50. The C-Quents - Merry Christmas Baby - Captown 4027 - 68