Best TV Theme Ever
2020-05-20 13:24:34 UTC
I think this topic belongs in two separate sub groups, original for the TV Series and adapted for the series.

My nominees:

Original

The Rockford Files 1974

Mike Post

Adapted

Crime Story 1986

This is a revised version of his great hit by Del Shannon.

Honorable Mention:

Yakety Sax 1969

The Benny Hill Show closing theme, Ronnie Aldrich's version of the Boots Randolph hit.
SavoyBG
2020-05-20 13:55:07 UTC
https://digitaldreamdoor.com/pages/best_songs-TV-theme.html
DianeE
2020-05-20 14:02:14 UTC
https://digitaldreamdoor.com/pages/best_songs-TV-theme.html
-----------
They agree with me on #1.
Bill B
2020-05-20 14:23:17 UTC
Not really. You specified the Ventures, and they didn't do the TV show theme for the show. It is still a good choice for #1 by the original artist.
Mark Dintenfass
2020-05-20 19:53:27 UTC
https://digitaldreamdoor.com/pages/best_songs-TV-theme.html
-----------
They agree with me on #1.
Not really. You specified the Ventures, and they didn't do the TV show theme
for the show. It is still a good choice for #1 by the original artist.
It still sounded good on the recent (and mostly stupid) remake. But is
we're looking for indelible theme music, and not a whole song, my vote
is for the familiar chords of "Dragnet."
2020-05-20 18:19:31 UTC
https://digitaldreamdoor.com/pages/best_songs-TV-theme.html
This is just your personal list, not the results of a vote, correct?
SavoyBG
2020-05-20 21:36:47 UTC
https://digitaldreamdoor.com/pages/best_songs-TV-theme.html
This is just your personal list, not the results of a vote, correct?
Not my personal list, but my judgment of the most significant ones based on the list's criteria.

Criteria:
1 - How well the theme fits the show - Does the theme invoke visions of what you see during the show, or is it just good music that does not really quite fit what the show is about. If the song used was an already existing recording that was not written for the show, this is a big negative unless it somehow really fits the show.

2 - Popularity - How popular did the song become as a result of being the theme song for the show? Popularity that already existed before the song was used as the theme does not count here.

3 - Acclaim / Awards - Emmy and Grammy nominations and awards as well as critical acclaim and other accolades, but only those that came after the song became the show's theme song.

4 - Cultural Impact - How iconic has the theme become as an essential part of the show? Does it rise to the level of where you'd be upset if you turned the TV on a minute too late and you missed the opening theme song?

5 - Transcending the show - Has the theme been used outside the show, in spoofs, or to invoke a feeling that might or might not have to do with the show? Did the song take on a life of its own outside the show?

6 - Influence - Has the song influenced other TV show theme songs?
Steve Mc
2020-05-20 23:55:23 UTC
I've always liked this, probably because of The Honeymooners, not for
what's coming out of the speakers.

But I must say, it's hard listening to it all the way through.

2020-05-21 00:29:49 UTC
I like The Sopranos theme in that it’s perfect for the show but not great over all. I’ll also go with Peter Gunn with Perry Mason as a close second.
BTW Diane one of the TV oldies channels was running Peter Gunn and it stands up pretty well. Try it.
DianeE
2020-05-21 00:39:25 UTC
1 - How well the theme fits the show - Does the theme invoke visions of what you see during the show, or is it just good music that does not really quite fit what the show is about. If the song used was an already existing recording that was not written for the show, this is a big negative unless it somehow really fits the show.
-------------

Bad boys, bad boys, what'cha gonna do?
What'cha gonna do when they come for you?

Perfect! (you ranked it #99 and I remember we argued about that)
DianeE
2020-05-20 13:56:23 UTC
One of the first records I ever bought was "Peter Gunn" by Ray Anthony.
Loved the music, even though I'd never seen the show (and haven't to
this day).

Best instrumental TV theme ever IMO is "Hawaii Five-O" by The Ventures.

Best TV theme with lyrics? No contest--"The Addams Family."
xpenenyx
2020-05-20 14:30:37 UTC
On Wed, 20 May 2020 06:24:34 -0700 (PDT), Bill B <***@optonline.net>

I'll go with Mission Impossible
Roger Ford
2020-05-20 14:37:38 UTC
My #1 "Peter Gunn"

Mancini or Duane Eddy I like 'em both!

Coming more up to date,I usually hate music like this but that
"Sopranos" theme tune fits exactly!

v***@gmail.com
2020-05-20 20:25:49 UTC
I think this topic belongs in two separate sub groups, original for the TV Series and adapted for the series.
Original
The Rockford Files 1974
http://youtu.be/yg1Cx26-928
Mike Post
Adapted
Crime Story 1986
http://youtu.be/mWZCHFQwOOk
This is a revised version of his great hit by Del Shannon.
Yakety Sax 1969
http://youtu.be/mvsR9KXQknE
The Benny Hill Show closing theme, Ronnie Aldrich's version of the Boots Randolph hit.
Perry Mason Theme - Haunting, discordant, gritty, cool

SavoyBG
It's called "Park Avenue Beat," by Fred Steiner
v***@gmail.com
2020-05-20 22:33:04 UTC
Post by v***@gmail.com
Post by Bill B
I think this topic belongs in two separate sub groups, original for the TV Series and adapted for the series.
Original
The Rockford Files 1974
http://youtu.be/yg1Cx26-928
Mike Post
Adapted
Crime Story 1986
http://youtu.be/mWZCHFQwOOk
This is a revised version of his great hit by Del Shannon.
Yakety Sax 1969
http://youtu.be/mvsR9KXQknE
The Benny Hill Show closing theme, Ronnie Aldrich's version of the Boots Randolph hit.
Perry Mason Theme - Haunting, discordant, gritty, cool
It's called "Park Avenue Beat," by Fred Steiner
Thanks.

Here's another one I love from "The Wire"

DianeE
2020-05-20 21:46:40 UTC
Post by v***@gmail.com
Post by Bill B
I think this topic belongs in two separate sub groups, original for the TV Series and adapted for the series.
Perry Mason Theme - Haunting, discordant, gritty, cool
http://youtu.be/xOpxLa9PPto
---------------
Hey Tommy, good to see you!
Has there ever been a TV show with a group harmony theme song?
v***@gmail.com
2020-05-20 22:31:20 UTC
Post by v***@gmail.com
Post by Bill B
I think this topic belongs in two separate sub groups, original for the TV Series and adapted for the series.
Perry Mason Theme - Haunting, discordant, gritty, cool
http://youtu.be/xOpxLa9PPto
---------------
Hey Tommy, good to see you!
Has there ever been a TV show with a group harmony theme song?
Hey Diane! I'm usually here just quietly reading and enjoying the posts.

I can think of a few shows (Patty Duke, Happy Days, etc), but their all corny.
super70s
2020-05-20 23:40:15 UTC
I remember being a big fan of Dave Grusin's theme for It Takes a Thief,
which doesn't appear on the list. The way the music blended with the
images on the opening credits, it was perfect.
SavoyBG
2020-05-21 01:35:37 UTC

super70s
2020-05-23 02:16:00 UTC
http://youtu.be/nssrahybJA8
I couldn't seem to find the original anywhere on YouTube, just mediocre covers.
Ken Whiton
2020-05-21 02:15:47 UTC
*-* On Wed, 20 May 2020, at 06:24:34 -0700 (PDT),
*-* In Article <fab9637f-6fb6-4eda-badf-***@googlegroups.com>,
*-* Bill B wrote
*-* About Best TV Theme Ever
Post by Bill B
I think this topic belongs in two separate sub groups, original for
the TV Series and adapted for the series.
When I read that, the only one I could remember was "The Ballad
Of Paladin" by Johnny Western. After reading Bruce's list I
remembered a few more but I'll stick with the "chess knight of
silver".

FIDO: 1:132/152
InterNet: ***@surfglobal.net.INVAL (remove the obvious to reply)
Dennis C
2020-05-21 13:23:15 UTC
Damn good one, Kenneth!!

I'll put Frankie Laine's "Rawhide" right below it!!
Tony
PETER GUNN
RWC
2020-05-21 14:47:51 UTC
On Wed, 20 May 2020 06:24:34 -0700 (PDT), Bill B <***@optonline.net>
wrote:

Danger Man (aka Secret Agent, bought to you by Westinghouse)

The theme enjoyed by the Brits (the US had a different theme)
by Edwin Astley Orchestra

another good one:

The Avengers

by Laurie Johnson Orchestra, with some Pink Panther attributes

OT The Original Pink Panther Theme Song