Bruce's observations - May 2021
DianeE
2021-05-01 10:41:31 UTC
May 2021
Sav...@aol.com
2021-05-06 05:22:06 UTC
Never heard this before. Pop cover of Big Maybelle in 1955.

Sav...@aol.com
2021-05-08 04:01:19 UTC
Lloyd Price died a few days ago.

https://variety.com/2021/music/news/lloyd-price-dead-mr-personality-1234969166/
Sav...@aol.com
2021-05-08 17:18:00 UTC
WE INTERRUPT THIS BROADCAST TO BRING YOU: Radio Waves… WLAC, Randy’s Record Shop And The Birth Of The Mail Order Record Biz

https://www.spontaneouslunacy.net/wlac-randys-record-shop-and-the-birth-of-the-mail-order-record-biz/
Sav...@aol.com
2021-05-12 12:44:49 UTC
New Hall of Famers

The Rock & Roll Hall of Fame reveals its 2021 Inductees, celebrating the most diverse list of Inductees in the history of the organization. They are:

https://www.rockhall.com/class-2021-inductees

Performer Category:

Tina Turner
Carole King
The Go-Go’s
JAY-Z
Foo Fighters
Todd Rundgren

Early Influence Award:

Kraftwerk
Charley Patton
Gil Scott-Heron

Musical Excellence Award:

LL Cool J
Billy Preston
Randy Rhoads

Ahmet Ertegun Award:

Clarence Avant

They gave up on LL Cool J getting a regular induction and pulled this shit. Same with Kraftwerk. Charley Patton going in before Roy Brown and Wynonie Harris is fucking insane.
Dennis C from Tennessee
2021-05-12 12:50:53 UTC
Tina Turner and Carol King!!!!

Come on down!!!

The rest of you pick up your consolation prize of Bruce Grossbergs Pithiest Piss-Poor Observations on the way out the door, baby!!!
DianeE
2021-05-12 13:44:58 UTC
Post by ***@aol.com
New Hall of Famers
https://www.rockhall.com/class-2021-inductees
Clarence Avant
---------------
Now *that* makes sense. I don't know if the "Black Godfather"
documentary is still available on...what was it, Netflix or HBOMax?
Anyhow this guy was so important to American music and I never heard of
him before seeing that movie a few months ago.

I think it was Netflix, actually.
Dean F.
2021-05-13 02:51:48 UTC
Post by ***@aol.com
Kraftwerk
Charley Patton
Gil Scott-Heron
But still no Wynonie Harris or Roy Brown? Fucking stupid.
Sav...@aol.com
2021-05-13 18:16:01 UTC
https://www.cleveland.com/entertainment/2021/05/rock-roll-hall-of-fame-continues-to-challenge-ignorant-definitions-of-rock-and-roll.html
md
2021-05-13 19:32:05 UTC
Post by ***@aol.com
https://www.cleveland.com/entertainment/2021/05/rock-roll-hall-of-fame-continues-to-challenge-ignorant-definitions-of-rock-and-roll.html
Mostly he's right, though his case would be stronger if Wynonie Harris, etc.
had gotten in thirty years ago. I'd even, reluctantly, give him hip-hop. Bu
Gil Scott-Heron?

--md

remove "xx" from address
Sav...@aol.com
2021-05-13 23:25:34 UTC
Post by ***@aol.com
https://www.cleveland.com/entertainment/2021/05/rock-roll-hall-of-fame-continues-to-challenge-ignorant-definitions-of-rock-and-roll.html
Mostly he's right, though his case would be stronger if Wynonie Harris, etc.,
had gotten in thirty years ago. I'd even, reluctantly, give him hip-hop. But
Gil Scott-Heron?
Gil is definitely an influence on Hip Hop.
Dennis C from Tennessee
2021-05-14 00:11:44 UTC
Let's give Alpo the Good Housekeeping Seal for definitely having an unfluence on dog shit, baby!!
Sav...@aol.com
2021-05-14 01:11:21 UTC
Jesus H. Christ!

Sav...@aol.com
2021-05-14 04:06:58 UTC
I never heard of this before. It was banned on many radio stations.

Sav...@aol.com
2021-05-16 03:24:41 UTC
How is this version?

Dean F.
2021-05-16 07:51:05 UTC
Post by ***@aol.com
How is this version?
I'm sure they thought they were making fun of that inferior rock 'n' roll garbage. But 60+ years later, "Little Darlin'" is still heard while Dinah Shore and Betty Hutton are long forgotten.
Sav...@aol.com
2021-05-16 14:29:39 UTC
Samp on the new HOF inductees.

https://digitaldreamdoor.com/pages/best_hall-of-fame-2021.html
Sav...@aol.com
2021-05-16 17:16:05 UTC
Just spoke to Bill. He's doing a little better. Still not walking, but he should be after some more therapy and recovery. He's going to assisted living soon and will be able to get back on line in the next couple of weeks or so.
Roger Ford
2021-05-16 17:24:07 UTC
Post by ***@aol.com
Just spoke to Bill. He's doing a little better. Still not walking, but he should be after some more therapy and recovery. He's going to assisted living soon and will be able to get back on line in the next couple of weeks or so.
Good to hear. All best wishes go to Bill

Thanks for posting

ROGER FORD
-----------------------

https://www.avg.com
md
2021-05-16 17:49:20 UTC
Post by ***@aol.com
Just spoke to Bill. He's doing a little better. Still not walking, but h
should be after some more therapy and recovery. He's going to assisted livin
soon and will be able to get back on line in the next couple of weeks or so.
Thanks for the update.

--md

remove "xx" from address
Ken Whiton
2021-05-17 02:58:39 UTC
*-* On Sun, 16 May 2021, at 10:16:05 -0700 (PDT),
*-* In Article <04cd6f0b-aee7-44f1-a49a-***@googlegroups.com>,
*-* ***@aol.com wrote
*-* About Re: Bruce's observations - May 2021
Post by ***@aol.com
Just spoke to Bill. He's doing a little better. Still not walking,
but he should be after some more therapy and recovery. He's going to
assisted living soon and will be able to get back on line in the
next couple of weeks or so.
That's good to hear. I'll be glad to let him take back the honor
of being the oldest active poster here. :-)

Ken Whiton
--
FIDO: 1:132/152
InterNet: ***@surfglobal.net.INVAL (remove the obvious to reply)
Sav...@aol.com
2021-05-22 23:35:32 UTC
Never heard this Chain Gang answer before.

DianeE
2021-05-23 00:12:41 UTC
Post by ***@aol.com
Never heard this Chain Gang answer before.
http://youtu.be/E6lqgHR1egA
------------
Is it really an "answer record," or just a gender bender?

Theola Kilgore never managed to cross over to the pop-chart success she
deserved.
Roger Ford
2021-05-23 06:41:49 UTC
Post by ***@aol.com
Never heard this Chain Gang answer before.
Yes you have!!

In 2016 I included this answer record in one of those old "New This
Week" posts (with accompanying YT link) that you...um....answered
Post by ***@aol.com
22 Dec 2016, 05:47:38
1960 (Dec 12)
Theola Kilgore - Chain Gang The Sound Of My Man - Candix 311
http://youtu.be/E6lqgHR1egA
Not bad.
Way before her "The Love Of My Man" classic here's Theola answering Sam
Cooke
The first comment here is yours. The other is mine
Post by ***@aol.com
http://youtu.be/E6lqgHR1egA
Also---even earlier---in 2013 it was in the Dynamic Debuts Battle
where almost everything included appeared on the then fledgling
YouTube site

Here how Theola did (or rather DIDN'T :)

Prelim
Post by ***@aol.com
5 Theola Kilgore -- Chain Gang (Sound Of My Man) -- Candix 311 -- 1960 --
8 The Capris -- God Only Knows -- Gotham 304 -- 1954 --
WINNER : CAPRIS
ROGER FORD
-----------------------

https://www.avg.com
Sav...@aol.com
2021-05-24 03:33:13 UTC
Me and Dean on Facebook!

Dean Fiora-Farrell
I inherited my late father's vinyl copy of "Four Freshmen and Five Trombones." And I like it pretty well.

Bruce Roberts Grossberg
I'm not surprised, your Whiteness.

Dean Fiora-Farrell
And I'm not surprised at your lack of emotional maturity.

Bruce Roberts Grossberg
Next time you're on the radio why don't you feature the Four Freshmen for the entire show. You'll get 100% of the "emotionally mature" audience!
DianeE
2021-05-24 14:00:20 UTC
Post by ***@aol.com
Me and Dean on Facebook!
Dean Fiora-Farrell
I inherited my late father's vinyl copy of "Four Freshmen and Five Trombones." And I like it pretty well.
Bruce Roberts Grossberg
I'm not surprised, your Whiteness.
Dean Fiora-Farrell
And I'm not surprised at your lack of emotional maturity.
Bruce Roberts Grossberg
Next time you're on the radio why don't you feature the Four Freshmen for the entire show. You'll get 100% of the "emotionally mature" audience!
----------
As my mother used to say..."You're frittering away your life!"
(As an ex-smoker and an ex-Facebook user I kind of feel the same way
about both.)
Sav...@aol.com
2021-05-26 17:28:35 UTC
Beach Boys demo for "Surfin' Safari" with different words.

Dennis C from Tennessee
2021-05-26 18:26:41 UTC
http://youtu.be/TLfdnAWh5lI
Nice sleuthing there you stickler for lyrics you!!!
Sav...@aol.com
2021-05-28 22:49:26 UTC
Mickey & Sylvia live on the Steve Allen Show.

Sav...@aol.com
2021-05-29 17:01:44 UTC
Gene Vincent on Italian TV 1960, colorized.

Bluejean Bop

Roger Ford
2021-05-29 17:21:30 UTC
Post by ***@aol.com
Gene Vincent on Italian TV 1960, colorized.
Bluejean Bop
http://youtu.be/LrwnUfX7T-Q
Shame nobody has ever found the FULL Deluxe color uninterrupted
version of the Gene & The Blue Caps appearance in "The Girl Can't Help
It"

ROGER FORD
-----------------------

https://www.avg.com
Sav...@aol.com
Yeah, but that was lip synched.
Sav...@aol.com
2021-05-29 18:03:53 UTC
The Beaver made a record:

md
2021-05-29 21:55:07 UTC
Post by ***@aol.com
http://youtu.be/3IrDgnmsBrs
I thought you meant our old pal Jim Beaver. A record from him might be wort
hearing,

--md

remove "xx" from address