The Number Ones: Frankie Avalon’s “Why”
2018-11-21 21:11:36 UTC
A writer named Tom Breihan has been reviewing, in order, every song to hit #1 in the Billboard Hot 100.

Frankie Avalon – “Why”
HIT #1: December 28, 1959
STAYED AT #1: 1 week

On the Billboard Hot 100, the ’50s ended the way the ’50s had to end: with a witless, weightless trifle from a guy whose greatest contribution to culture wouldn’t come until he started making Beach Party movies. Frankie Avalon had already topped the Hot 100 with the deeply empty “Venus,” and “Why” seemed like the result of a dare: Could he do it again, this time with an even shittier song? “Venus” at least had a memorable hook. “Why” didn’t even have that.

“Why” is a love song that sees nothing wondrous, scary, or exciting in the prospect of falling in love. It’s just a simple, grinny song of devotion. “We’ve found the perfect love / Yes, a love that’s yours and mine / I love you and you love me all the time,” Avalon coos. It sounds like he’s gloating. A Hallmark editor would’ve sent that line back for a rewrite, and “Why” is nothing but lines like that, set to music that seems like something a ’90s soundtrack supervisor would’ve used to mock ideas of ’50s conformity.

2018-11-22 01:44:19 UTC
For once, Breihan and I are in agreement. I wouldn't have even given it a 2, though.
SavoyBG
2018-11-22 01:57:08 UTC
For once, Breihan and I are in agreement. I wouldn't have even given it a 2, though.
I give a 5.
Mark Dintenfass
2018-11-22 01:54:28 UTC
A writer named Tom Breihan has been reviewing, in order, every song to hit #1
in the Billboard Hot 100.
Frankie Avalon ­ ³Why²
HIT #1: December 28, 1959
STAYED AT #1: 1 week
On the Billboard Hot 100, the ¹50s ended the way the ¹50s had to end: with a
witless, weightless trifle from a guy whose greatest contribution to culture
wouldn¹t come until he started making Beach Party movies. Frankie Avalon had
already topped the Hot 100 with the deeply empty ³Venus,² and ³Why² seemed
like the result of a dare: Could he do it again, this time with an even
shittier song? ³Venus² at least had a memorable hook. ³Why² didn¹t even have
that.
³Why² is a love song that sees nothing wondrous, scary, or exciting in the
prospect of falling in love. It¹s just a simple, grinny song of devotion.
³We¹ve found the perfect love / Yes, a love that¹s yours and mine / I love
you and you love me all the time,² Avalon coos. It sounds like he¹s gloating.
A Hallmark editor would¹ve sent that line back for a rewrite, and ³Why² is
nothing but lines like that, set to music that seems like something a ¹90s
soundtrack supervisor would¹ve used to mock ideas of ¹50s conformity.
GRADE: 2/10
Then how, Breihan might have wondered, did it get to #1? Does he not
know anything about Dick Clark?
2018-11-22 05:45:08 UTC
On Wed, 21 Nov 2018 13:11:36 -0800 (PST), Bob Roman
A writer named Tom Breihan has been reviewing, in order, every song to hit =
#1 in the Billboard Hot 100.
Frankie Avalon =E2=80=93 =E2=80=9CWhy=E2=80=9D
HIT #1: December 28, 1959
STAYED AT #1: 1 week
On the Billboard Hot 100, the =E2=80=9950s ended the way the =E2=80=9950s h=
ad to end: with a witless, weightless trifle from a guy whose greatest cont=
ribution to culture wouldn=E2=80=99t come until he started making Beach Par=
ty movies. Frankie Avalon had already topped the Hot 100 with the deeply em=
pty =E2=80=9CVenus,=E2=80=9D and =E2=80=9CWhy=E2=80=9D seemed like the resu=
lt of a dare: Could he do it again, this time with an even shittier song? =
=E2=80=9CVenus=E2=80=9D at least had a memorable hook. =E2=80=9CWhy=E2=80=
=9D didn=E2=80=99t even have that.
=E2=80=9CWhy=E2=80=9D is a love song that sees nothing wondrous, scary, or =
exciting in the prospect of falling in love. It=E2=80=99s just a simple, gr=
inny song of devotion. =E2=80=9CWe=E2=80=99ve found the perfect love / Yes,=
a love that=E2=80=99s yours and mine / I love you and you love me all the =
time,=E2=80=9D Avalon coos. It sounds like he=E2=80=99s gloating. A Hallmar=
k editor would=E2=80=99ve sent that line back for a rewrite, and =E2=80=9CW=
hy=E2=80=9D is nothing but lines like that, set to music that seems like so=
mething a =E2=80=9990s soundtrack supervisor would=E2=80=99ve used to mock =
ideas of =E2=80=9950s conformity.
GRADE: 2/10
However bad a record is you can always rely on the British to come up
with an even worse cover version

2018-11-24 17:07:08 UTC
#1 in the Billboard Hot 100.
Frankie Avalon =E2=80=93 =E2=80=9CWhy=E2=80=9D
HIT #1: December 28, 1959
STAYED AT #1: 1 week
Here's how it did in the 1959 Singles Battle

R1 Avalon 6
Andy Williams - Lonely Street 15