Obscure 1950s Era Recordings - May Preliminary Round - Group 4
2020-05-05 12:31:33 UTC

Drive Soldiers Drive - Little Maxie

Baby Please Don't Go - Big Maybelle

Red Hots And Chili Mac - The Moroccos

Down - Marveliers

Dancin' Girl - Eddie Eay

SavoyBG
2020-05-05 12:32:04 UTC

1. Red Hots And Chili Mac - The Moroccos
2. Baby Please Don't Go - Big Maybelle
3. Drive Soldiers Drive - Little Maxie
4. Down - Marveliers
5. Dancin' Girl - Eddie Eay
Steve Mc
2020-05-05 13:28:51 UTC
1. Dancin' Girl - Eddie Eay

2. Red Hots And Chili Mac - The Moroccos

3. Drive Soldiers Drive - Little Maxie

4. Baby Please Don't Go - Big Maybelle

5. Down - Marveliers

2020-05-05 12:55:07 UTC
Down - Marveliers - 8
Red Hots And Chili Mac - The Moroccos - 7
Drive Soldiers Drive - Little Maxie - 7
Baby Please Don't Go - Big Maybelle - 7
Dancin' Girl - Eddie Eay - 6

2020-05-05 13:02:42 UTC
Drive Soldiers Drive - Little Maxie
http://youtu.be/mFT4TgARyYs
From 1953 came the mysterious Little Maxie (Bailey) who had just the
two records that year on Excello (of which this is the better release
- the other one "Brown Skin Woman Blues" was in that years Singles
Battle)---before disappearing without trace (unless anyone has more
information and can enlighten me?).

Here Maxie boy makes sure that we know he surely likes Ike---while
extolling his fellow US forces to drive on and grab a victory that
never came in Korea
Post by SavoyBG
Baby Please Don't Go - Big Maybelle
http://youtu.be/sHYdE62tuRU
Out take from her famous set at the 1958 Newport Jazz Festival which
was filmed for the movie "Jazz Of A Summer 's Day"
Post by SavoyBG
Red Hots And Chili Mac - The Moroccos
http://youtu.be/6PQMbw4SgWw
Cool uptempo flip of their "Somewhere Over The Rainbow" on United
which DID feature in the 1955 Singles Battle
Post by SavoyBG
Down - Marveliers
http://youtu.be/x385ULlwgUg
It sounds a lot older but this superb Detroit group ballad comes from
1960 on the extremely short lived (only 2 releases I'm aware of)
Cougar label that was located in Illinois I think.
Post by SavoyBG
Dancin' Girl - Eddie Eay
http://youtu.be/U46R3CckPzE
Backed by "Frankie & The Rocks" here's a moderate (but
undistinguished) rocker (that was actually the "B" side of the single)
on the Echo label of Austin.Tx. Most of the releases I've come across
on this label are from the early 60's which perhaps hints towards the
true date of this one?

2020-05-05 13:26:48 UTC
1. Red Hots And Chili Mac - The Moroccos
2. Down - Marveliers
3. Dancin' Girl - Eddie Eay
4. Drive Soldiers Drive - Little Maxie
5. Baby Please Don’t Go - Big Maybelle
DianeE
2020-05-05 13:53:31 UTC
1-Drive Soldiers Drive - Little Maxie
2-Red Hots And Chili Mac - The Moroccos
3-Down - Marveliers
4-Baby Please Don't Go - Big Maybelle
5-Dancin' Girl - Eddie Eay
Dennis C
2020-05-05 14:29:14 UTC
1- Little Maxie

2- Big Maybelle

3- The Moroccos

4- Eddie Eay

5- Marveliers
SavoyBG
2020-05-05 14:39:17 UTC
5- Marveliers
I knew that was coming.
Dennis C
2020-05-05 15:18:10 UTC
And why not?
I'm just not Down with it!!
Look at the picture of the disc on the link!
They used it as a coffee coaster, baby!!
Mark Dintenfass
2020-05-05 14:48:06 UTC

Rick Schubert
2020-05-05 16:53:10 UTC
1. Down - Marveliers
5. Dancin' Girl - Eddie Eay
SavoyBG
2020-05-05 17:10:26 UTC

1. Red Hots And Chili Mac - The Moroccos - 37
2. Drive Soldiers Drive - Little Maxie - 31
3. Down - Marveliers - 27
4. Baby Please Don't Go - Big Maybelle - 22

5. Dancin' Girl - Eddie Eay - 18

In a crazy quirk the top 3 records were submitted by the same 3 players as yesterday, Carl, Diane and Jim. Carl's Moroccos won easily too, like yesterday. My Big Maybelle took 4th to stay alive, and Steve's oddball rocker is out.