Dean's thread 2
DianeE
2021-04-17 22:42:57 UTC
Where soul meets sci-fi....
Dean F.
2021-05-02 04:54:10 UTC
In 2006, I hosted a summertime replacement show on a local college radio station. Roots Rock Radio featured first-generation rock 'n' roll of the 1950s and early '60s.

I just learned that my old webpage for the show is preserved at archive.org. You can check out here if you're so declined:

https://web.archive.org/web/20080914102056/http://www.soulexpressradio.com/RRR.htm
Sav...@aol.com
2021-05-02 06:36:32 UTC
In 2006, I hosted a summertime replacement show on a local college radio station. Roots Rock Radio featured first-generation rock 'n' roll of the 1950s and early '60s.
https://web.archive.org/web/20080914102056/http://www.soulexpressradio.com/RRR.htm
GRITS AIN'T GROCERIES (ALL AROUND THE WORLD), Little Willie John (1955) R&B #5
REMAKE: Little Milton (1969) Pop #73/R&B #13

The original is not Little Willie John, it's Titus Turner.

HI-DE-HO (THAT OLD SWEET ROLL), Dusty Springfield (1968) Did not chart
REMAKE: Blood, Sweat & Tears (1970) Pop #14

The original is not by Dusty Springfield, it's by The City with Carole King.

LITTLE BITTY PRETTY ONE, Thurston Harris & The Sharps (1957) Pop #6/R&B #2
REMAKE: The Jackson Five (1972) Pop #13/R&B #8

The original is not by Thurston Harris, it's by Bobby Day.

LOVE ON A TWO-WAY STREET, The Moments (1970) Pop #3/R&B #1 (5 weeks)
REMAKE: Stacy Lattisaw (1981) Pop #26/R&B #2

The original is not by the Moments, it's by Lezli Valentine from 1968.

RELEASE ME, Esther Phillips (1962) Pop #8/R&B #1 (3 weeks)
REMAKE: Engelbert Humperdinck (1967) Pop #4

The original is by Eddie Miller & his Oklahomans from 1949.

There are plenty more mistakes like this, but I gotta get to sleep.
Dean F.
2021-05-02 09:12:57 UTC
I seem to recall I was referring to the earliest R&B versions of those songs; but I took that website down 12 years ago, so who gives a shit anyway?
Sav...@aol.com
2021-05-02 14:14:21 UTC
Post by Dean F.
Post by ***@aol.com
There are plenty more mistakes like this, but I gotta get to sleep.
I seem to recall I was referring to the earliest R&B versions of those songs;
Dusty Springfield is R&B?

If you were referring to the earliest R&B versions you were still wrong on "All Around The World," "Little Bitty Pretty One" and "Love On A Two Way Street."
Dennis C from Tennessee
2021-05-02 16:01:04 UTC
Grossberg!!!

How dare you unravel Dean's thread this way!! Such cheek!! Such impertinence!!!

I mean, If Mr. Fiora wants to ineptly research and factually fuck up his content then , by god, he has every right to do so without your unsolicited corrections!!!

Johnny Cash asked the universal question "What is Truth" in 1970 and I think we have intellectually progressed to the point where truth is what is told and proof is what is proffered as long as one does so whithin his defined sphere!!

Dean has his Thread sphere and you have your Observations bubble!!
You both can have your own indisputable and unvarnished truths!!!

Dean is more than likely totally wrong but what you did just ain't right, baby!!!
md
2021-05-02 16:34:57 UTC
On May 2, 2021 at 11:01:04 AM CDT, "Dennis C from Tennessee
Post by Dennis C from Tennessee
You both can have your own indisputable and unvarnished truths!!!
This is currently the most destructive idea in the world.

--md

remove "xx" from address
Sav...@aol.com
Alternative facts
Dean F.
2021-05-03 06:56:12 UTC
Some of that (mis)information dates back to 1998, when I first put the site on-line. Obviously, I know more about the music now than I did then.

And besides, Bruce, you're fact-checking a website that hasn't existed on the regular Internet since 2009. To quote the worst president in U.S. history, "Sad."
Dean F.
2021-05-05 03:55:47 UTC
Back in the CD-R days, I put together a compilation titled "Let's Boogie!" Just listened to it for the first time in at least fifteen years. Here's the track listing:

1. BIG BOB'S BOOGIE, Big Bob Dougherty & The Kampus Kats
2. BOBBIE TOWN BOOGIE, Lee Brown
3. BOOGIE WOOGIE WOMAN, B.B. King
4. BOOGIE'S THE THING, George Miller & His Mid-Driffs
5. BUMP'S BOOGIE, Bumps Myers
6. CHUCK-A-BOOGIE, Johnny Griffin
7. DISC JOCKEY BOOGIE, Hal Singer
8. GOT THE BOOGIE WOOGIE BLUES, Willie Johnson
9. HEPCAT BOOGIE, Fletcher Hanna
10. LITTLE GIRL'S BOOGIE, Bob Gaddy
11. LITTLE JOE'S BOOGIE, Milton Willis
12. MARDI GRAS BOOGIE, Joe Turner
13. MARRIED WOMAN'S BLUES, Billy Wright
14. M.F.T. BOOGIE, Ace Harris
15. MR. FREDDIE'S BOOGIE, Freddie Mitchell
16. ROCK BOOGIE, Jim Wynn
17. ROCK BERTHA ROCK, Big Bertha Henderson
18. SAVE ME A BOOGIE, Marvin Johnson
19. SHUFFLIN' BOOGIE, George Jenkins
20. T.J. BOOGIE, T.J. Fowler
21. TOO MUCH BOOGIE, Doc Pomus
22. WAY DOWN BOOGIE, Harold Burrage
Sav...@aol.com
2021-05-05 04:42:16 UTC
Post by Dean F.
Back in the CD-R days,
They're still here. I made a Lula Reed CD yesterday, 31 songs.
Dean F.
2021-05-05 05:09:02 UTC
Unfortunately, my current laptop does not have a CD drawer--something I failed to notice until two weeks after I bought it.
Sav...@aol.com
2021-05-05 05:28:20 UTC
Post by Dean F.
Post by ***@aol.com
They're still here. I made a Lula Reed CD yesterday, 31 songs.
Unfortunately, my current laptop does not have a CD drawer--something I failed to notice until two weeks after I bought it.
I am using an external disc drive to make CDs as the regular one is not working correctly. They are cheap.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N8WV4EQ/ref=redir_mobile_desktop?_encoding=UTF8&aaxitk=36fc592c1980c2cb16e847bf6534f3b4&hsa_cr_id=9672949270601&pd_rd_plhdr=t&pd_rd_r=b29cf864-b338-4e15-a56b-65da4b6a04c2&pd_rd_w=zOjC1&pd_rd_wg=H9kn5&ref_=sbx_be_s_sparkle_mcd_asin_0_img
Dean F.
2021-05-06 01:05:34 UTC
I am using an external disc drive to make CDs as the regular one is not working correctly. They are cheap.
I have one and you're right; they're very cheap. Unfortunately, that refers not only to the price but to the quality of the device itself. On the rare occasion that I need to make a CD anymore, I use my old laptop.
Sav...@aol.com
2021-05-06 01:29:54 UTC
I haven't seen that.
DianeE
2021-05-06 02:38:04 UTC
Post by Dean F.
1. BIG BOB'S BOOGIE, Big Bob Dougherty & The Kampus Kats
2. BOBBIE TOWN BOOGIE, Lee Brown
3. BOOGIE WOOGIE WOMAN, B.B. King
4. BOOGIE'S THE THING, George Miller & His Mid-Driffs
5. BUMP'S BOOGIE, Bumps Myers
6. CHUCK-A-BOOGIE, Johnny Griffin
7. DISC JOCKEY BOOGIE, Hal Singer
8. GOT THE BOOGIE WOOGIE BLUES, Willie Johnson
9. HEPCAT BOOGIE, Fletcher Hanna
10. LITTLE GIRL'S BOOGIE, Bob Gaddy
11. LITTLE JOE'S BOOGIE, Milton Willis
12. MARDI GRAS BOOGIE, Joe Turner
13. MARRIED WOMAN'S BLUES, Billy Wright
14. M.F.T. BOOGIE, Ace Harris
15. MR. FREDDIE'S BOOGIE, Freddie Mitchell
16. ROCK BOOGIE, Jim Wynn
17. ROCK BERTHA ROCK, Big Bertha Henderson
18. SAVE ME A BOOGIE, Marvin Johnson
19. SHUFFLIN' BOOGIE, George Jenkins
20. T.J. BOOGIE, T.J. Fowler
21. TOO MUCH BOOGIE, Doc Pomus
22. WAY DOWN BOOGIE, Harold Burrage
-------------
I would add "Boogie Woogie King" and "Cadillac Boogie" by Jimmy Liggins,
"Bee's Boogie" by Smiley Lewis, "Bess's Boogie" by Bobby Smith, "Tuxedo
Boogie" and "Swanee River Boogie" by Albert Ammons, "Shout The Boogie"
by Memphis Minnie (Blind John Davis on piano), and super rave up "All
Night Boogie" by Howlin' Wolf. For starters. Probably didn't know any
of them except the Howlin' Wolf 15 years ago!
Dean F.
All great songs, to be sure. And I put that comp together closer to 20 years ago!
Sav...@aol.com

Steve Mc
2021-05-06 03:47:06 UTC
Post by DianeE
Post by Dean F.
[...]
And heres's my link to my Boggies Quiz Clips

http://marcdashevsky.com/ClipsQuiz/Boogie01.mp3

#01) Elmore James: "Country Boogie"
#02) Al Simmons: "Old Folks Boogie"
#03) Amos Milburn: "Sax Shack Boogie"
#04) Andrew Sisters: "Boogie Woogie Bugle Boy"
#05) Arthur Smith: "Guitar Boogie"
#06) Bill Haley: "Birth Of The Boogie"
#07) Bill Haley: "Rock a Beatin' Boogie"
#08) Chuck Berry: "Guitar Boogie"
#09) Delmore Brother: "Freight Train Boogie""
#10) Doc Watson: "Freight Train Boogie"
#11) Dr. Ross: "Boogie Disease"
#12) Drifters with Cyde McPhatter: "Let the Boogie Woogie Roll"
#13) Elvis Presley: "Milkcow Blues Boogie"
#14) Hank Snow: "The Rhumba Boogie"
#15) Howlin' Wolf: "Houserockin'" or "Howlin' Wolf's Boogie"
#16) Ink Spots with Ella Fitzgerald: "Cow-Cow Boogie"
#17) J B Lenoir: "Mojo Boogie"
#18) J.B & His Hawks: "Combination Boogie"
#19) Jerry Lee Lewis: "Lewis Boogie"
#20) Jimmy Reed: "State Street Boogie"
#21) Joe Turner: "Boogie Woogie Country Girl"
#22) Joe Turner: "Rocket Boogie 88"
#23) John Lee Hooker: "Boogie Chillun"
#24) Johnny Burnett: "Rockabilly Boogie"
#25) Johnny Cash: "Luther Played The Boogie"
#26) Lightnin' Hopkins: "Lightnin's Boogie"
#27) Little Junior's Blue Flames: "Feelin' Good"
#28) Little Richard: "Little Richard's Boogie"
#29) Lonnie Pitchford: "One-String Boogie"
#30) Louis Jordan: "Choo Choo Ch' Boogie"
#31) Mabel Scott: "Baseball Boogie"
#32) Meadowlarks: "Boogie Woogie Teenage"
#33) Rolling Stones: "Shake Your Hips"
#34) Roy Milton: "Bartender's Boogie"
#35) Slim Harpo: "Boogie Chillen"
#36) Sugar Chile Robinson: "Numbers Boogie"
#37) Tiny Bradshaw and his Orchesta: "Bradshaw Boogie"
#38) Virtues: "Guitar Boogie Shuffle"
--
Steve Mc

DNA to SBC to respond
Dean F.
2021-05-13 03:49:12 UTC
"Little Girl Lost" by Bobby Roy & The Chord-a-Roys. Truly, truly horrible!

Dean F.
2021-05-29 04:48:33 UTC
A terrible Sam Cooke track from 1960:

"I Thank God"

Dean F.
2021-06-10 01:14:48 UTC
I recently inherited a box of 45s from an old radio colleague. Among was Cliff Bennett's "You've Got What I Like" / "I'm In Love With You." A Joe Meek production from 1961, it came out in the U.S. on Capitol and, IMHO, is a slammin' rockabilly two-sider.

Dean F.
2021-06-10 04:20:45 UTC
I recently inherited a box of 45s from an old radio colleague. Among them was Cliff Bennett's "You've Got What I Like" / "I'm In Love With You." A Joe Meek production from 1961, it came out in the U.S. on Capitol and, IMHO, is a slammin' rockabilly two-sider.

http://youtu.be/fgD44TIDD0Q

http://youtu.be/zBBM33PO1pA
Dean F.
2021-06-25 03:17:48 UTC
I've always heard that Columbia never signed a rock 'n' roll act until Mitch Miller stepped down as A&R head in the early '60s. However, Carl Perkins was on Columbia in 1958. Does anybody know how *he* got by Mitch Miller?
Sav...@aol.com
2021-06-25 03:23:53 UTC
There were others, like Sid King, the Collins Kids, Ronnie Self, Marty Robbins from 54 through 56.
Dean F.
2021-07-03 06:52:09 UTC
I recently inherited a box of 45 RPMs from an old radio colleague. Among them was "Rockin' Crickets" by the Hot-Toddys (Shan-Todd, 1959). I had heard of it but never actually heard it before.

"Rockin' Crickets" is a decent enough instrumental, but I was really taken with "Shakin' and Stompin'," the rockabilly-flavored vocal flip. Here are You Tube links to both sides:

The Hot Toddys later changed their name to the Rebels of "Wild Weekend" fame.
Dean F.
2021-07-18 23:20:12 UTC
Another new addition to my 45 RPM collection: Paul Chaplain's "I Saw Her Standing On The Corner" / "Caldonia," released on Pat Records in 1961. Two good slabs of rockin' R&B, in my opinion.

Dean F.
2021-09-15 02:07:05 UTC
What did Lawrence Welk name his twin daughters?
Anna One, Anna Two.