Obscure 1950s Era Recordings - February - Preliminary Round - Group 6
2020-02-06 14:31:02 UTC

At the Jamboree - Troy Ferguson's Country Gentlemen

Gulf Coast Blues - Bea Booze

Midnight Love - Downbeats

Woke Up This Morning - Arthur Prysock

Little Jewel Of The Vieux Carre - Joe Barry

SavoyBG
2020-02-06 14:31:36 UTC

1. Little Jewel Of The Vieux Carre - Joe Barry
2. Woke Up This Morning - Arthur Prysock
3. At the Jamboree - Troy Ferguson's Country Gentlemen
4. Midnight Love - Downbeats
5. Gulf Coast Blues - Bea Booze
SavoyBG
2020-02-06 14:50:30 UTC
2. Woke Up This Morning - Arthur Prysock
This was headed for third until I heard the terrific sax break from Arthur's brother Red.
Roger Ford
2020-02-06 14:44:34 UTC
Little Jewel Of The Vieux Carre - Joe Barry - 8
Midnight Love - Downbeats - 8
Woke Up This Morning - Arthur Prysock - 7
At the Jamboree - Troy Ferguson's Country Gentlemen - 6
Gulf Coast Blues - Bea Booze - 6

Damn! So far each of mine has been in a group with a record I like
better still in it

2020-02-06 14:48:33 UTC
1. Little Jewel Of The Vieux Carre - Joe Barry

2. At the Jamboree - Troy Ferguson's Country Gentlemen

3. Woke Up This Morning - Arthur Prysock

4. Midnight Love - Downbeats

5. Gulf Coast Blues - Bea Booze
Steve Mc
2020-02-06 15:29:12 UTC
1. At the Jamboree - Troy Ferguson's Country Gentlemen

2. Little Jewel Of The Vieux Carre - Joe Barry

2020-02-06 14:51:23 UTC
At the Jamboree - Troy Ferguson's Country Gentlemen
http://youtu.be/D4KyJt-h7BI
Along with his "Country Gentlemen" here's Troy Ferguson with a mild
rockabilly on the Flame label. I have the release year as 1958 but
that's debateable as most things about this record are. One thing that
ISN'T debateable is its rarity which has seen copies sell for as much
as $800+ in the recent past
Post by SavoyBG
Gulf Coast Blues - Bea Booze
http://youtu.be/h0djlW1WvLM
World weary blues slowie here from Wea Bea. Recorded in NYC March 9
1944 (but not released until 1947). Bea Booze (vcl) Sam Price (pno)
Abe Bolar (bs) Hal West (dms). There was a version of this recorded a
month earlier but which was rejected by Decca. That one may have had
Jack Dupree on piano
Post by SavoyBG
Midnight Love - Downbeats
http://youtu.be/HEFBYMZQkOQ
Nice doowop ballad apparently recorded by this Jamaican group (three
guys one gal) a couple of years earlier in Kingston and leased to
Starlite Records in London who released it in July 1961.It was always
pretty rare but the odd copies that did turn up for us at Moondogs
were usually snapped up in nanoseconds by American collectors for mega
bucks.
Post by SavoyBG
Woke Up This Morning - Arthur Prysock
http://youtu.be/1F_HPEiUoLc
Suprisingly solid rockin' performance from the usually boring Art that
owes more than a little debt to the always brilliant sax work of bro
Red. Released on Mercury's Wing subsid in 1955
Post by SavoyBG
Little Jewel Of The Vieux Carre - Joe Barry
http://youtu.be/W22d4BoYxnc
One of the better examples of white guys from our music era who
sounded black on record as first witnessed in Barry's big 1961 hit
"I'm A Fool To Care"---originally recorded for Jin label-where lots of
folk hearing it for the first time--myself included--thought it was
Fats' latest release.

1962's "Little Jewel...." like his first hit,has a real good cool New
Orleans groove too---and again like his first hit was also picked up
by Mercury for national distribution on their Smash subsid-this time
from original small local Princess label in Louisiana.

2020-02-06 14:59:35 UTC
Gulf Coast Blues - Bea Booze
http://youtu.be/h0djlW1WvLM
World weary blues slowie here from Wea Bea. Recorded in NYC March 9
1944 (but not released until 1947). Bea Booze (vcl) Sam Price (pno)
Abe Bolar (bs) Hal West (dms). There was a version of this recorded a
month earlier but which was rejected by Decca. That one may have had
Jack Dupree on piano
-----------

Turns out this is a remake of a 1939 record by Teddy (a female Teddy)
Grace. Not bad if you like prewar music:

Carl
2020-02-06 15:17:50 UTC
Gulf Coast Blues in 1923 with Bessie Smith

Ken Whiton
2020-02-07 09:42:14 UTC
*-* On Thu, 6 Feb 2020, at 07:17:50 -0800 (PST),
*-* In Article <b25880e1-c4e4-419f-bd86-***@googlegroups.com>,
*-* Carl wrote
*-* About Re: Obscure 1950s Era Recordings - February - Preliminary
Round - Group 6
Post by Carl
Gulf Coast Blues in 1923 with Bessie Smith
http://youtu.be/2k1M0vfHmmc
Here's a discography of the song:

<http://www.45worlds.com/78rpm/78_search.php?sq=%22Gulf+Coast+Blues%22&sm=re>
(or <https://preview.tinyurl.com/tnc2k3l>).

FIDO: 1:132/152
InterNet: ***@surfglobal.net.INVAL (remove the obvious to reply)
DianeE
2020-02-06 15:03:51 UTC
1-At the Jamboree - Troy Ferguson's Country Gentlemen
2-Gulf Coast Blues - Bea Booze
3-Little Jewel Of The Vieux Carre - Joe Barry

4-Midnight Love - Downbeats
They had the skills but the record IMO gets boring pretty soon.

5-Woke Up This Morning - Arthur Prysock
To me this one is a misfire. He wasn't a blues singer.
Carl

Mark Dintenfass
2020-02-06 15:11:53 UTC
Little Jewel Of The Vieux Carre - Joe Barry
Midnight Love - Downbeats
Woke Up This Morning - Arthur Prysock
At the Jamboree - Troy Ferguson's Country Gentlemen
Gulf Coast Blues - Bea Booze

Really sorry to have to put Ms. Booze last, but it's just too slow and
draggy to compete in this bunch. If my heart had just been broken, I'd
probably have a different opinion.
2020-02-06 16:46:54 UTC
1. Midnight Love - Downbeats
2. Woke Up This Morning - Arthur Prysock
3. At the Jamboree - Troy Ferguson's Country Gentlemen
4. Little Jewel Of The Vieux Carre - Joe Barry
5. Gulf Coast Blues - Bea Booze
Dennis C
2020-02-06 17:06:12 UTC
1- Arthur Prysock

2- Joe Barry

3- Downbeats

4- Troy Fergerson

5- Wee Bea Booze
SavoyBG
2020-02-06 17:54:27 UTC

1. Little Jewel Of The Vieux Carre - Joe Barry - 38
2. Midnight Love - Downbeats - 28
3. At the Jamboree - Troy Ferguson's Country Gentlemen - 28
4. Woke Up This Morning - Arthur Prysock - 27

5. Gulf Coast Blues - Bea Booze - 14

Mark's Joe Barry romps to victory here, and Dinty may be on the way to his first ever win. Certainly Joe Barry has a great chance to be our first white act to make the FINAL FOUR.

Roger's Jamaican Doo Wop edges Jim's nice country bopper for second place, and Frank's Prysock is close behind in 4th place. Carl's old style blues record gets blown out and is done.
DianeE
2020-02-06 18:52:58 UTC
5. Gulf Coast Blues - Bea Booze - 14
Carl's old style blues record gets blown out and is done.
---------------
I have to say that I liked this record a lot. I like "old style blues
records." But I don't nominate them because I know nobody else likes
them much.
Carl
2020-02-07 14:40:40 UTC
I’m about ready to give up on my 40’s entries too. Even I have to be in the right mood to think they might stand a chance. We’ll see how ‘Ice Man Blues’ does and I believe there’s also a good ‘47 Jazz Gillum left.
Mark Dintenfass
2020-02-07 15:27:34 UTC
I¹m about ready to give up on my 40¹s entries too. Even I have to be in the
right mood to think they might stand a chance. We¹ll see how ŒIce Man Blues¹
does and I believe there¹s also a good Œ47 Jazz Gillum left.
I feel the same way and have quite a few 40s things to offer in coming
months.