Obscure 1950s Era Recordings - May Preliminary Round - Group 5
2020-05-06 12:42:04 UTC

Sweet Thing - Rams

It Must Have Been Love - Earl King

Love Me, Love Me, Love Me - Chimes

Got You On My Mind - Miller Sisters

That's What I Call A Ball - Larry Donn

SavoyBG
2020-05-06 12:42:34 UTC

1. Sweet Thing - Rams
2. Love Me, Love Me, Love Me - Chimes
3. It Must Have Been Love - Earl King
4. That's What I Call A Ball - Larry Donn
5. Got You On My Mind - Miller Sisters
Roger Ford
2020-05-06 13:02:04 UTC
That's What I Call A Ball - Larry Donn - 8
Love Me, Love Me, Love Me - Chimes - 7
Sweet Thing - Rams - 7
It Must Have Been Love - Earl King - 7
Got You On My Mind - Miller Sisters - 5

2020-05-06 13:08:19 UTC
Sweet Thing - Rams
http://youtu.be/JCltVgCyt-c
The Rams were Richard Berry,Arthur Lee Maye & Johnny Coleman and
"Sweet Thing" (with Berry lead) was the flipside to their good but
unspectacular sole release on Flair in 1955.
Post by SavoyBG
It Must Have Been Love - Earl King
http://youtu.be/6F06bOSFPNU
"Earl King wails a slow tempo blues telling of his deep love which has
been rejected. It is a mournful opus well done and will no doubt sell
well in the southern markets" (Cash Box review June 9 1956)
Post by SavoyBG
Love Me, Love Me, Love Me - Chimes
http://youtu.be/KQide3npqtk
These guys were merely the Flairs "moonlighting". Cornell Gunter is
lead here with release occurring in September 1954 as the flip to "My
Heart's Crying For You" which WAS in the 1954 Singles Battle. Of
course these "Chimes" are not to be confused with the slightly later
Chimes on Specialty and definitely not with the much later Lenny
Coco-led Chimes of "Once In A While" fame
Post by SavoyBG
Got You On My Mind - Miller Sisters
http://youtu.be/WQ74HMi24Ds
The YT clip shows the wrong Miller Sisters. The poster there shows the
black Long Island r&b group whereas the gals singing here are the
white Memphis duo "The Miller Sisters" aka duo Elsie Jo Miller and
Mildred Wages who had several releases on Sun. Their extremely average
version of John Greer's "Got You On My Mind" was recorded for that
company on July 17 1957 at 706 Union Ave,Memphis. Session musicians
were Roland Janes (gtr) Stan Kesler (bs & string gtr) J M Van Eaton
(dms) and Jimmy Wilson (pno). The song lay unreleased for years until
it finally surfaced on the UK Charly LP "The Roots Of Rock Vol.4 :
Cotton City Country" in 1976
Post by SavoyBG
That's What I Call A Ball - Larry Donn
http://youtu.be/xiGE5qXgotU
Jerry Lee-styled piano driven rocker the best known side of which
("Honey-Bun") was in the 1959 Battle.This double-sider has long been a
highspot with rockabilly fans and collectors and one of the most
sought after items on the famed Trumann,Arkansas label,Vaden.

2020-05-06 13:23:46 UTC
Sweet Thing - Rams
2020-05-06 13:28:18 UTC
Like this much better than either of the Earl King’s that topped out last year’s year end voting.

1. It Must Have Been Love - Earl King
2. Love Me, Love Me, Love Me - Chimes
3. Sweet Thing - Rams
Steve Mc
2020-05-06 13:36:27 UTC
1. That's What I Call A Ball - Larry Donn

2. Got You On My Mind - Miller Sisters

3. Sweet Thing - Rams

4. It Must Have Been Love - Earl King

5. Love Me, Love Me, Love Me - Chimes

2020-05-06 13:33:32 UTC
1. Sweet Thing - Rams

2.That's What I Call A Ball - Larry Donn

3.Love Me, Love Me, Love Me - Chimes

DianeE
2020-05-06 14:23:56 UTC
1-It Must Have Been Love - Earl King
2-Sweet Thing - Rams

3-That's What I Call A Ball - Larry Donn
Really nice piano break...the guitar break isn't bad either.
4-Got You On My Mind - Miller Sisters
5-Love Me, Love Me, Love Me - Chimes
Dennis C
2020-05-06 15:20:15 UTC
1- Earl King

2- Larry Donn

3- Chimes

4- Rams

5- Miller Sisters
Rick Schubert
2020-05-06 16:01:44 UTC
1. Love Me, Love Me, Love Me - Chimes
2. Sweet Thing - Rams
5. That's What I Call A Ball - Larry Donn
SavoyBG
2020-05-06 17:35:52 UTC

1. Sweet Thing - Rams - 34
2. It Must Have Been Love - Earl King - 30 (5-4)
3. That's What I Call A Ball - Larry Donn - 30
4. Love Me, Love Me, Love Me - Chimes - 27

5. Got You On My Mind - Miller Sisters - 14

My Rams wins the group, and Diane's Earl King wins the tie breaker over Roger's Larry Donn for second. That's 3 straight second place finishes for Diane. Rick's Chimes takes 4th. I don;t know WHAT Steve was thinking with this Miller Sisters thing, but mercifully it's out.
DianeE

Always a bridesmaid, never a bride!
DianeE
2020-05-06 20:14:03 UTC
1. Sweet Thing - Rams - 34
2. It Must Have Been Love - Earl King - 30 (5-4)
3. That's What I Call A Ball - Larry Donn - 30
4. Love Me, Love Me, Love Me - Chimes - 27
5. Got You On My Mind - Miller Sisters - 14
My Rams wins the group, and Diane's Earl King wins the tie breaker over Roger's Larry Donn for second. That's 3 straight second place finishes for Diane. Rick's Chimes takes 4th. I don;t know WHAT Steve was thinking with this Miller Sisters thing, but mercifully it's out.
--------------
I don't know what he was thinking either, but it's not a terrible
record. Don't you remember the prisoners' chant he nominated last year?
Now *that* was a terrible record. I give Steve credit for throwing us
these curveballs.
SavoyBG
2020-05-06 20:53:29 UTC
1. Sweet Thing - Rams - 34
2. It Must Have Been Love - Earl King - 30 (5-4)
3. That's What I Call A Ball - Larry Donn - 30
4. Love Me, Love Me, Love Me - Chimes - 27
5. Got You On My Mind - Miller Sisters - 14
My Rams wins the group, and Diane's Earl King wins the tie breaker over Roger's Larry Donn for second. That's 3 straight second place finishes for Diane. Rick's Chimes takes 4th. I don;t know WHAT Steve was thinking with this Miller Sisters thing, but mercifully it's out.
I don't know what he was thinking either, but it's not a terrible
record. Don't you remember the prisoners' chant he nominated last year?
Now *that* was a terrible record. I give Steve credit for throwing us
these curveballs.
Look at you with baseball metaphors.