Obscure 1950s Era Recordings - June - FINAL FOUR
2020-06-25 12:31:16 UTC
The FINAL FOUR is now open. Please rank these from best to worst.

She's Gone, Gone - Penguins

I've Played This Town - Willie Holiday

Ain't No Meat on De Bone - Jack Dupree

No Use Knocking - Bobby Charles

SavoyBG
2020-06-25 12:31:57 UTC

1. No Use Knocking - Bobby Charles
2. I've Played This Town - Willie Holiday
3. She's Gone, Gone - Penguins
4. Ain't No Meat on De Bone - Jack Dupree
Roger Ford
2020-06-25 13:07:15 UTC
1. No Use Knocking - Bobby Charles
2. I've Played This Town - Willie Holiday
3. She's Gone, Gone - Penguins
4. Ain't No Meat on De Bone - Jack Dupree
Our votes couldn't be much more different LOL!

2020-06-25 13:08:55 UTC
1. No Use Knocking - Bobby Charles
2. I've Played This Town - Willie Holiday
3. She's Gone, Gone - Penguins
4. Ain't No Meat on De Bone - Jack Dupree
Our votes couldn't be much more different LOL!
In fact I don't think they've EVER been so different in a Final have
they?

2020-06-25 14:04:35 UTC
1. No Use Knocking - Bobby Charles

2. She's Gone, Gone - Penguins

3. I've Played This Town - Willie Holiday

4. Ain't No Meat on De Bone - Jack Dupree

2020-06-25 13:28:37 UTC
1-I've Played This Town - Willie Holiday
2-Ain't No Meat on De Bone - Jack Dupree
3-She's Gone, Gone - Penguins
4-No Use Knocking - Bobby Charles
Mark Dintenfass
2020-06-25 13:37:10 UTC
1. I've Played This Town - Willie Holiday

2. No Use Knocking - Bobby Charles

Carl
2020-06-25 13:46:35 UTC
1. Ain't No Meat on De Bone - Jack Dupree
2. She’s Gone Gone - The Penguins
unknown
2020-06-25 13:49:15 UTC

1. She's Gone, Gone - Penguins
2. I've Played This Town - Willie Holiday
3. No Use Knocking - Bobby Charles
4. Ain't No Meat on De Bone - Jack Dupree
Rick Schubert
SavoyBG
2020-06-25 17:45:49 UTC
FINAL RANKINGS - Same as Geoff and Rick.

1. She's Gone, Gone - Penguins - 25 (5-4)
2. I've Played This Town - Willie Holiday - 25

3. No Use Knocking - Bobby Charles - 20 (5-4)
4. Ain't No Meat on De Bone - Jack Dupree - 20

RICK WINS! HE WINS!

Rick's Penguins record takes the tie breaker 5-4 to beat Jim's Willie Holiday here. Steve's Bobby Charles also takes a tie breaker to beat Mark's Dupree for third place.

Congrats, Rick. Unlike some former members of this tournament Rick has never once cried about other people not liking his nominations. He has just continued to nominate records that he liked and occasionally getting one into the ELITE EIGHT or even the FINAL FOUR. He's also helped us immensely with keeping track of items that have been nominated already. I am happy for him, and this was a very sold FINAL FOUR with no weak items.

Now, back to the drawing board for me with July's nominations.
Steve Mc
2020-06-25 18:17:53 UTC
[...]
And look at prognosticator me from May 27th.
Post by SavoyBG
Penguins - She's Gone, Gone - Mercury 70799 - 1956
http://youtu.be/beU88FH06z4
An early frontrunner ?
Congrats Rick !!!

2020-06-25 19:58:24 UTC
[...]
Rick you rock!!

Well done with your win!

unknown
2020-06-25 23:42:37 UTC
FINAL RANKINGS - Same as Geoff and Rick.
1. She's Gone, Gone - Penguins - 25 (5-4)
2. I've Played This Town - Willie Holiday - 25
3. No Use Knocking - Bobby Charles - 20 (5-4)
4. Ain't No Meat on De Bone - Jack Dupree - 20
R&B, Male, Lively, Vocal Harmony - accounts for a third of all wins
This 'genre' has now won 6/16 (37.5%) of monthly contests
Jim Colegrove
Rick, you win! Nicely done!
Rick Schubert
2020-06-26 04:10:08 UTC
FINAL RANKINGS - Same as Geoff and Rick.
1. She's Gone, Gone - Penguins - 25 (5-4)
2. I've Played This Town - Willie Holiday - 25
3. No Use Knocking - Bobby Charles - 20 (5-4)
4. Ain't No Meat on De Bone - Jack Dupree - 20
RICK WINS! HE WINS!
Rick's Penguins record takes the tie breaker 5-4 to beat Jim's Willie Holiday here. Steve's Bobby Charles also takes a tie breaker to beat Mark's Dupree for third place.
Congrats, Rick. Unlike some former members of this tournament Rick has never once cried about other people not liking his nominations. He has just continued to nominate records that he liked and occasionally getting one into the ELITE EIGHT or even the FINAL FOUR. He's also helped us immensely with keeping track of items that have been nominated already. I am happy for him, and this was a very sold FINAL FOUR with no weak items.
Thanks, Bruce. I didn't expect any kind of personal compliment, so that was a nice surprise.
Winning was also a big surprise. Not necessarily going into the final, but I never would have
expected that this song would win when I nominated it. My first clue that it might do well was
Steve's comment when I did nominate it. It seems that Steve usually ranks vocal harmony songs
last, so I really noticed when he made that comment. Maybe that was the push (plus his votes) the
song needed.

Thanks everyone else for the congratulations. Maybe I'll nominate another winner in the next year
and a half. I wish I could say that I've figured out how to select a song this group would like,
but I have little idea why this song did so much better than a number of my other nominees.