Obscure 1950s Era Recordings - August - Preliminary Round - Group 1
2020-08-02 12:40:43 UTC

The Fine One - Five Hearts

I Wish I Knew - Bobby Mitchell & The Toppers

Teen Town Hop - The Philharmonics

My Love Is Your Love - Magic Sam

Can't Find My Sadie - Checkers

SavoyBG
2020-08-02 12:41:40 UTC

1. The Fine One - Five Hearts
2. I Wish I Knew - Bobby Mitchell & The Toppers
3. Teen Town Hop - The Philharmonics
4. Can't Find My Sadie - Checkers
5. My Love Is Your Love - Magic Sam

DIANE'S RANKINGS

1. Teen Town Hop - The Philharmonics
2. My Love Is Your Love - Magic Sam
3. Can't Find My Sadie - Checkers
4. The Fine One - Five Hearts
5. I Wish I Knew - Bobby Mitchell & The Toppers
Steve Mc
2020-08-02 13:52:29 UTC
1. My Love Is Your Love - Magic Sam

2. Can't Find My Sadie - Checkers

3. I Wish I Knew - Bobby Mitchell & The Toppers

4. Teen Town Hop - The Philharmonics

5. The Fine One - Five Hearts

2020-08-02 13:22:09 UTC
Same as Bruce:

1 The Fine One - Five Hearts
http://youtu.be/u1-B8Xgsdis
http://youtu.be/EijItEvGPnU
http://youtu.be/klRWJqjGrvo
http://youtu.be/8y0HDLoS_8s
http://youtu.be/-pUKAwv6kg0
Roger Ford
2020-08-02 13:46:04 UTC
The Fine One - Five Hearts - 8
Can't Find My Sadie - Checkers - 8
I Wish I Knew - Bobby Mitchell & The Toppers - 7
Teen Town Hop - The Philharmonics - 7
My Love Is Your Love - Magic Sam - 6

2020-08-02 13:54:53 UTC
The Fine One - Five Hearts
http://youtu.be/u1-B8Xgsdis
This ultra-rarity from 1954 on the Flair label introduced The Five
Hearts. Actually there were really only THREE of them - Arthur Lee
Maye,Richard Berry and Johnny Coleman. It was the recording debut for
both Maye and Berry. They recorded FOUR tracks for Flair at that
session with the other two that included "Sweet Thing" being held for
later release. On that later release they were called The Rams---which
name will ring a bell with most here since "Sweet Thing" was one of
Bruce's nominations in the recent May edition of this contest
Post by SavoyBG
I Wish I Knew - Bobby Mitchell & The Toppers
http://youtu.be/EijItEvGPnU
The official "A" side of the more famous "Nothing As Sweet As You"
single released on Imperial in 1955 and which appeared in that years
Battle and which was STILL being played on radio in the New Orleans
area for years afterwards
Post by SavoyBG
Teen Town Hop - The Philharmonics
http://youtu.be/klRWJqjGrvo
A five-member mixed race group who originated in Springfield Mo. "Teen
Town Hop" was a decent rocker by them with some good sax work that was
the "B" side of their 1958 "Why Don't You Write Me" on Future. This
was the same song as The Feathers original and the more famous (and
much better) Jacks cover. Not entirely sure how this Philharmonics
wound up getting reviewed in Billboard dated February 6
1961---reissued then for some reason I imagine
Post by SavoyBG
My Love Is Your Love - Magic Sam
http://youtu.be/-pUKAwv6kg0
Routine blues was his first for the Chief label after leaving
Cobra.Recorded circa April 1960 in Chicago. Personnel : Magic Sam
(vcl/gtr) Boyd Atkins (ts) Johnny Jones (p) Odell Campbell (b) S.P
Leary (dm) Ammons Sisters (vcl gp)
Post by SavoyBG
Can't Find My Sadie - Checkers
http://youtu.be/8y0HDLoS_8s
The last real Checkers single I believe (only the perfectly DREADFUL
"Nine More Miles" comes afterwards---but tho credited to "The
Checkers" my mind (and good taste :-)....tells me this shyte can't
possibly be THE Checkers!)

But I digress....okay, with Eddie Harris (not to be confused with the
"Exodus" jazz guy) on lead "Can't Find My Sadie" was recorded for King
on October 1, 1954 along with "Mama's Daughter," "Trying To Hold My
Gal," and my favorite of the four "I Wasn't Thinking, I Was Drinking"
(that was obviously a Battle contender) and was released that December

Roger, just to confirm, you’re wording above for a Dec 54 release refers to ‘Sadie’ not ‘I Wasn’t Thinking’. The internet is unclear, Global Dog shows 1955 and discogs 1954.
Roger Ford
2020-08-02 17:32:04 UTC
=E2=80=98Can't Find My Sadie" was recorded for King=20
on October 1, 1954 along with "Mama's Daughter," "Trying To Hold My=20
Gal," and my favorite of the four "I Wasn't Thinking, I Was Drinking"=20
(that was obviously a Battle contender) and was released that December =E2=
=80=98
Roger, just to confirm, you=E2=80=99re wording above for a Dec 54 release r=
efers to =E2=80=98Sadie=E2=80=99 not =E2=80=98I Wasn=E2=80=99t Thinking=E2=
=80=99. The internet is unclear, Global Dog shows 1955 and discogs 1954.
Yes these were seperate singles---"Sadie" (King 4764) was released Dec
1954 (reviewed BB Jan 55) whilst "Drinking" (King 4751) came out
earlier circa late Oct 1954 (reviewed BB Nov 1954)

2020-08-02 14:22:53 UTC
Can't Find My Sadie - Checkers
The Fine One - Five Hearts
2020-08-02 14:47:29 UTC
1. Teen Town Hop - The Philharmonics

2. Can't Find My Sadie - Checkers

3. My Love Is Your Love - Magic Sam

Carl
2020-08-02 14:47:43 UTC
1. I Wish I Knew - Bobby Mitchell & The Toppers
5. Teen Town Hop - The Philharmonics
RWC
2020-08-02 15:05:09 UTC
I'm expecting these relatively uncomplicated sounding rockers to
Post by SavoyBG
Teen Town Hop - The Philharmonics
http://youtu.be/klRWJqjGrvo
Can't Find My Sadie - Checkers
http://youtu.be/8y0HDLoS_8s
"Bobby Mitchell" has impressive opening piano but is kinda dirgedly
repetitive. Still, it can get thru.

"The Hearts" is a mess of noise, but that sax might save it.

"Magic Sam" is unfortunately another complicated semi-distorted
'mess', needing a much more refined digital audio source. (I use
Sennheiser headphones)
Rick Schubert
2020-08-02 16:28:02 UTC
1. The Fine One - Five Hearts
2. Can't Find My Sadie - Checkers
3. Teen Town Hop - The Philharmonics
4. I Wish I Knew - Bobby Mitchell & The Toppers
5. My Love Is Your Love - Magic Sam
SavoyBG
2020-08-02 16:40:44 UTC
Not sure, but I think Dennis is sitting this month out with Bill in. If I'm wrong I will update this after Dennis votes.

FINAL RANKINGS - same as Mark's ballot.

Can't Find My Sadie - Checkers - 32
The Fine One - Five Hearts - 31
Teen Town Hop - The Philharmonics - 27
I Wish I Knew - Bobby Mitchell & The Toppers - 25

My Love Is Your Love - Magic Sam - 20

Roger's Checkers wins this weak group, a point ahead of Rick's Five Hearts. Jim's TTH takes third and Carl's Toppers is 4th with a high point total (25) for a 4th placer, probably safe from being a wild card elimination. Steve's Magic Sam with a female chorus is out.
Bill B
2020-08-02 17:52:14 UTC
Not sure, but I think Dennis is sitting this month out with Bill in.
You make it sound like he's sitting out BECAUSE I'm in. I highly doubt that.

I hope he's in; he seems to be the biggest Nolan Strong fan here and, in general, his tastes are as close to mine as anyone else's (save Rick) are.
Dennis C
2020-08-02 18:22:09 UTC
Sitting this one out indeed but it ain't personal, Billy!!

It's best if optimum expertise is brought into the equation but I will be ready at the bat rack should the need to pinch hit arises again, baby!!
Bill B
2020-08-02 18:35:01 UTC
It will be needed next month, as this is a one month return as I announced with my nominations. Your reviews are better than mine, with much more comment, so I don't understand the "Optimum Expertise" comment.
Dennis C
2020-08-02 19:43:04 UTC
You guys are soppingly deep steeped in the history and knowledge of 50's recordings!!

A surface scratch best describes my expertise!!
RWC
2020-08-03 05:12:04 UTC
A *surface scratch* best describes my expertise!!
So you might best describe Roger's expertise as a *canyon* :)
Dennis C
2020-08-03 11:15:46 UTC
Rog's command is more of a deep groove with plenty of stylus points, baby!!@
RWC
2020-08-03 18:48:35 UTC
Rog's command is more of a deep groove
I much admire your response to this point, if a bit hammy.