Dean's Thread
2021-02-07 11:13:34 UTC
Dean requested I start a thread for him like I did for Bruce, so here we go.
Dean F.
2021-02-07 12:45:16 UTC
Dean requested I start a thread for him like I did for Bruce, so here we go.
Thank you, Diane! Now I can hip the group to what I've been up to lately.

On January 29th, I hosted a radio tribute to five of the hottest R&B vocal groups of the '50s: Billy Ward & The Dominoes, the Clovers, Clyde McPhatter & The Drifters, the "5" Royales, and Hank Ballard & The Midnighters. The show is archived until February 11th at http://wrtc.streamrewind.com/bookmarks/listen/313579/soul-rock-freeform-with-farrell

On Thursday the 4th, I aired a 2.5-hour tribute to Vee-Jay Records. The show is archived until February 18th at http://wrtc.streamrewind.com/bookmarks/listen/314150/soul-rock-freeform-with-farrell
Dean F.
2021-02-10 01:33:43 UTC
Mary Wilson of the Supremes died today (February 8th). She was 76 and died in her sleep.
Dean F.
2021-02-10 04:41:30 UTC
Mary Wilson of the Supremes dies yesterday (Feb. 8th) in her sleep. She was 76.
Dean F.
2021-02-16 03:41:15 UTC
Just heard that "Little Walter" Devenne died on his 73rd birthday, January 16th. Cause of death was COVID-19.

Walter was a Boston radio personality and rock 'n' roll historian. And he hosted the best oldies program that I've ever heard, the nationally syndicated "Little Walter's Time Machine."
Dean F.
2021-02-23 05:26:52 UTC
Somehow, I never heard "T'ain't Nothin' To Me" by the Coasters until tonight. And it's nothing I ever need to hear again.

Hambone humor in 1964? No thanks!

Dean F.
2021-03-02 02:40:53 UTC
I was playing one of Roulette's "Golden Goodies" LPs, which featured Lloyd Price's "Lawdy Miss Clawdy" (the original Specialty version). For some ungodly reason, female back-up singers were overdubbed on to the recording. I had to move the needle to the next track as I found those background vocals so-o-o-o grating!
Sav...@aol.com
2021-03-02 03:07:15 UTC
I was playing one of Roulette's "Golden Goodies" LPs, which featured Lloyd Price's "Lawdy Miss Clawdy" (the original Specialty version). For some ungodly reason, female back-up singers were overdubbed on to the recording. I had to move the needle to the next track as I found those background vocals so-o-o-o grating!
They did that for Lloyd's Specialty album in 1959.

SP-2105 - Lloyd Price - Lloyd Price [4/59] Lawdy Miss Clawdy/Tell Me Pretty Baby/Baby Come Home/Jimmie Lee/I'm Goin' Back/I Wish Your Picture Was You/Where You At//Chee-Koo Baby/Oh, Oh, Oh/Too Late For Tears/Country Boy Rock/So Long/Carry Me Home/Mailman Blues
Dean F.
2021-03-02 07:57:18 UTC
They did that for Lloyd's Specialty album in 1959.
Maybe that explains it. After all, Price's #1 hit "Stagger Lee" had female back-up singers, so why not add them to "Lawdy Miss Clawdy?"

I'll tell you why not. Because on "Stagger Lee," the background vocals worked. (You likely disagree, Bruce.) But dubbing them post hoc on to "Lawdy Miss Clawdy" made the track unlistenable, to my ears at least.
Sav...@aol.com
2021-03-02 14:08:03 UTC
No, I agree with that. But I don't like "Personality" at all. It's hokey as hell.
Roger Ford
2021-03-02 14:14:23 UTC
They did that for Lloyd's Specialty album in 1959.
Maybe that explains it. After all, Price's #1 hit "Stagger Lee" had female back-up singers, so why not add them to "Lawdy Miss Clawdy?"
I'll tell you why not. Because on "Stagger Lee," the background vocals worked. (You likely disagree, Bruce.) But dubbing them post hoc on to "Lawdy Miss Clawdy" made the track unlistenable, to my ears at least.
No, I agree with that. But I don't like "Personality" at all. It's hokey as hell.
I agree on "Personality" but it could be worse.

It could be this one

2021-03-02 14:18:17 UTC
http://youtu.be/iNxw-JJfONY
That's pitiful. Is he trying to sing with an American accent too?
Dean F.
2021-03-05 10:32:26 UTC
No, I agree with that. But I don't like "Personality" at all. It's hokey as hell.
We share the same low regard for "Personality." I've also never cared for "I'm Gonna Get Married." But at least "Where Were You (On Our Wedding Day)" has a pulse.
Rick Schubert
2021-03-02 09:16:48 UTC
http://www.bsnpubs.com/specialty/spec2105.jpg
SP-2105 - Lloyd Price - Lloyd Price [4/59] Lawdy Miss Clawdy/Tell Me Pretty Baby/Baby Come Home/Jimmie Lee/I'm Goin' Back/I Wish Your Picture Was You/Where You At//Chee-Koo Baby/Oh, Oh, Oh/Too Late For Tears/Country Boy Rock/So Long/Carry Me Home/Mailman Blues
It was also on a 45 (Specialty 661):

Dean F.
2021-03-08 02:43:31 UTC
A beatnik walks into a diner, sits down at the counter, and says to the waitress, "I'll have a slice of apple pie."

The waitress tells him, "Sir, the apple pie is gone."

The beatnik says, "Crazy! Then I'll have two slices."
DianeE
2021-03-08 11:37:45 UTC
A beatnik walks into a diner, sits down at the counter, and says to the waitress, "I'll have a slice of apple pie."
The waitress tells him, "Sir, the apple pie is gone."
The beatnik says, "Crazy! Then I'll have two slices."
-----------
You should have waited a few days to post this good old 1950s
joke--March 14 is National Pie Day (3/14..."pi" in math is 3.14). Yes,
this is a thing!
Dean F.
2021-03-18 03:13:08 UTC
It's a bit off-topic for this group, but I've started a blog titled UNSUNG HEROES OF SOUL:

https://60459fe07898a.site123.me/
Dennis C from Tennessee
2021-03-18 11:18:39 UTC
https://60459fe07898a.site123.me/
Great post!!
Givin some love to Ann Peebles and edifying me about Dyke and the Blazers!!

I'll take these astute and worthy observational posts about the music of our lives over those carbon blowing copy and pasties on climate change!!

Good job Dean!!
Dean F.
2021-03-19 00:17:51 UTC
Truth be told, so will I.
Dean F.
2021-03-28 03:44:27 UTC
Just added Esther Phillips, A/K/A Little Esther, to "Unsung Heroes of Soul."

https://60459fe07898a.site123.me/unsung-heroes-of-soul/esther-phillips-a-k-a-little-esther
Dean F.
2021-03-29 02:12:36 UTC
"Jelly Bean" by the Galaxys [sic]. Doo-wop at its worst!

Sav...@aol.com
2021-03-29 06:27:14 UTC
"Jelly Bean" by the Galaxys [sic]. Doo-wop at its worst!
http://youtu.be/UL-FdL5aDAQ
It blows, but it's also worth about $2500.
Dean F.
2021-03-29 07:27:36 UTC
It blows, but it's also worth about $2500.
Seriously?! What the hell is wrong with some people?
Roger Ford
2021-03-29 09:51:13 UTC
"Jelly Bean" by the Galaxys [sic]. Doo-wop at its worst!
http://youtu.be/UL-FdL5aDAQ
It blows, but it's also worth about $2500.
From 1959 and 3000 dollars in my (20+ year old) Kreiter

And isn't the equally abysmal "A Lover's Prayer" the A-side?

2021-03-30 06:05:09 UTC
Tommy Sena & The Val-Monts, "Onions Remind Me of You." Just fucking horrible!

Roger Ford
2021-03-30 07:11:19 UTC
On Mon, 29 Mar 2021 23:05:09 -0700 (PDT), "Dean F."
Post by Dean F.
Tommy Sena & The Val-Monts, "Onions Remind Me of You." Just fucking horrible!
http://youtu.be/KVC3O3WpfdQ
Yes real putrid bottom of the barrel stuff

But back in the day at Moondog's we never had a problem selling all
the copies we came across of his earlier "Let It Be Me" (not the
Everlys song)

2021-03-30 07:19:26 UTC
Yes real putrid bottom of the barrel stuff
Back in the '80s, a college radio D.J. in Connecticut who hosted a '50s music show played "Onions" as a joke. For some reason, it popped into my head tonight. So I looked it up on YouTube and voila!
Sav...@aol.com
2021-03-30 12:55:55 UTC
http://youtu.be/Eytz4tHgPXc
Just as putrid.
Dean F.
2021-04-02 06:25:33 UTC
The latest addition to my library is the 3-CD set, "Motor City: The Motown Vocal Group Sound." It spans 1959-62 and features 89 examples of late-period doo-wop and early soul harmonies.

https://www.allmusic.com/album/motor-city-the-motown-vocal-group-sound-mw0002871408
Dean F.
2021-04-04 12:00:08 UTC
A new on-topic entry at Unsung Heroes of Soul:

https://60459fe07898a.site123.me/unsung-heroes-of-soul/timi-yuro
Dean F.
2021-04-07 01:07:29 UTC
Two more on-topic additions to Unsung Heroes of Soul: the Tams and the Falcons.

https://60459fe07898a.site123.me/unsung-heroes-of-soul/the-falcons
https://60459fe07898a.site123.me/unsung-heroes-of-soul/the-tams
Dean F.
2021-04-16 01:47:25 UTC
Recent on-topic additions to Unsung Heroes of Soul include the Contours, Betty Everett, the Kelly Brothers (A/K/A the King Pins), King Curtis, Barbara Lewis, the Mar-Keys, Irma Thomas, and Timi Yuro.

https://60459fe07898a.site123.me/