1961 SINGLES BATTLE : Round Two : RESULTS!!
2010-02-07 11:22:12 UTC
Here's the voting results from Round Two of the 1961 Singles Battle.
30 people voted. There were 2 draws
7 The Drifters - Room Full Of Tears - Atlantic 2127
18 Maxine Brown - Funny - Nomar 106
Maxine starts us off with a nice comprehensive win here
WINNER : MAXINE
14 Barry Mann - Who Put The Bomp - ABC-Paramount 10237
12 B.Bumble & The Stingers - Bumble Boogie - Rendezvous 140
As Oliver Twist once famously said "Bye Bye Mister Bumble"
WINNER : MANN
2 Art Neville - All These Things - Instant 3246
24 Ernie K-Doe - Mother-In-Law - Minit 623
That ole devil-in-law nags poor Ernie comfortably into Round Three
WINNER ; K-DOE
14 Wanda Jackson - Riot In Cell Block # 9 - Capitol 4520
11 James Brown - Bewildered - King 5442
Wanda does well here to overcome JB and live to riot one more time
WINNER : WANDA
9 Chris Kenner - Something You Got - Instant 3237
13 Freddy King - Hideaway - Federal 12401
What was the absolute coolest record to own at this time on the London
scene makes it to Round Three
WINNER : KING
16 Don Gibson - Sea Of Heartbreak - RCA 47-7890
11 The Drifters - Sweets For My Sweet - Atlantic 2117
Bad hair day for the Drifters as Gibson triumphs here
WINNER : GIBSON
3 Smokey Smothers - Blind And Dumb Man Blues - Federal 12441
22 Ike & Tina Turner - It's Gonna Work Out Fine - Sue 749
And it sure does work out exactly that way for Ike & Tina
WINNER : IKE & TINA
15 Del Shannon - So Long Baby - Big Top 3083
9 The Chantels - Well I Told You - Carlton 564
Good to see Del advance with one of my favorirites by him
WINNER : SHANNON
10 Chuck Jackson - I Wake Up Crying - Wand 110
10 Fention Robinson - Tennessee Woman - Duke 329
Draw #1...and the tie break gizmo takes over now....and says that in
Round 1 Jackson scored 13 votes but Robinson topped that with
16....therefore..........
WINNER : ROBINSON
12 Curtis Lee - Under The Moon Of Love - Dunes 2008
10 Aretha Franklin - Won't Be Long - Columbia 41923
Lee moves on to Round 3 and Aretha takes her leave of the contest
WINNER : LEE
22 Brenda Lee - Dum Dum - Decca 31272
3 The Olympics - Dooley - Arvee 5031
And another Lee is very victorious here!!
WINNER : BRENDA
13 Ral Donner - Girl Of My Best Friend - Gone 5102
11 The Spinners - That's What Girls Are Made For - Tri-Phi 1001
Donner's Elvis ripoff pushes out one of the better vocal group items
in the contest
WINNER : DONNER
20 Chuck Berry - Come On - Chess 1799
7 The Platters - I'll Never Smile Again - Mercury 71847
Here come big wins for two of the 50's finest. Here's one...
WINNER : CHUCK
4 Marie Knight - Come Tomorrow - Okeh 7141
23 Fats Domino - Let The Four Winds Blow - Imperial 5764
..........and here's the other.
WINNER : FATS
22 Bobby Bland - I Pity The Fool - Duke 332
5 Chubby Checker - Twistin' USA - Parkway 811
My #3 favorite record of 1961 easily sees off this well above average
Checker
WINNER : BLAND
17 The Angels - Till - Caprice107
10 The Four Preps - More Money For You And Me - Capitol 4599
The Angels grab the win to send The Preps crashing out
WINNER : ANGELS
12 Bobby Lewis - One Track Mind - Beltone 1012
12 The Carnations - Long Tall Girl - Lescay 3002
Draw #2....and last time it was Lewis 23 against Carnations 19.....
WINNER : LEWIS
17 Joe Barry - I'm A Fool To Care - Jin 144
11 The Fleetwoods - Tragedy - Dolton 40
Barry moves to Round 3 as the Fleetwoods make their exit
WINNER : BARRY
1 LaVern Baker - Hey Memphis - Atlantic 2119
26 Don & Juan - What's Your Name - Big Top 3079
Biggest score so far and a near shut out for D& J
WINNER : DON & JUAN
16 Elmore James - Rollin' And Tumblin' - Fire 1024
7 The Drifters - No Sweet Lovin' - Atlantic 2105
Jeez,the Driftters are certainly getting the cold shoulder from voters
here today!
WINNER : ELMORE
10 Lee Dorsey - Ya Ya - Fury 1053
17 The Ikettes - I'm Blue - Atco 6212
Win for the Ikettes leaves Lee playing with his ya ya
WINNER : IKETTES
21 Ray Charles - Unchain My Heart - ABC-Paramount 10266
6 The Embers - Solitaire - Empress 101
Ray Charles makes sure of at least one place in Round 3
WINNER : RAY
15 Little Caesar & The Romans - Those Oldies But Goodies - Del-Fi 4158
13 Bobby Parker - Watch Your Step - V-Tone 223
Little Caesar & co tips one of the best records in the contest out
WINNER : LITTLE CAESAR/ROMANS
14 The Kingston Trio - Where Have All The Flowers Gone - Capitol 4671
10 Larry Finnegan - Dear One - Old Town 1113
The Trio progress to the next round as we bid Finnegan adieu
WINNER : KINGSTON TRIO
6 Hank Ballard & The Midnighters - Let's Go Again - King 5459
23 The Everly Brothers - Walk Right Back - Warner Bros 5199
The Everlys best of 1961 takes its place at the Round 3 table
WINNER : EVERLYS
19 Philip Upchurch Combo - You Can't Sit Down - Boyd 3398
8 James Darren - Goodbye Cruel World - Colpix 609
Thank you GOD!!! (and Philip Upchurch!!)
WINNER : UPCHURCH
17 Jackie Wilson - I'm Comin' On Back To You - Brunswick 55216
7 Ann-Margret - I Just Don't Understand - RCA 47-7894
Sob!
WINNER : WILSON
18 The Dreamlovers - If I Should Lose You - Down 2004
4 Tiny Topsy - How You've Changed - Argo 5383
The Dreamlovers knock the slim winsome Tiny Topsy (have you ever seen
a pic of this woman? :) out of the contest
WINNER : DREAMLOVERS
23 Ricky Nelson - Travelin' Man - Imperial 5741
5 The Jarmels - Little Lonely One -Laurie 3085
Damn!!! I know!! Maybe if I start using reverse psychology saying "I
LOVE THIS RICKY NELSON RECORD" it might do the trick?
WINNER : NELSON
4 Sam Cooke - Just For You - Sar 122
24 Chris Kenner - I Like It Like That - Valiant 3229
Here's a winner I REALLY do love
WINNER : KENNER
20 Arthur Alexander - A Shot Of Rhythm And Blues - Dot 16309
8 Gene McDaniels - A Hundred Pounds Of Clay - Liberty 55308
One of the great flipsides of 1961 wins again
WINNER : ALEXANDER
18 Elvis Presley - Can't Help Falling In Love - RCA 47-7968
10 The Beach Boys - Surfin' - X 301
Elvis wins to leave the Beach Boys completely at sea
WINNER : ELVIS
15 Joey Dee & The Starliters - Peppermint Twist - Roulette 4401
14 Rockin' Sidney - You Ain't Nothin' But Fine - Jin 156
By a mere whisker Dee & Co carry on twistin'
WINNER : DEE
24 Slim Harpo - Rainin' In My Heart - Excello 2194
2 Jan & Dean - A Sunday Kind Of Love - Liberty 55397
J& D bow out as Harpo wins seriously big time here
WINNER : HARPO
8 Carla Thomas - A Love Of My Own - Atlantic 2101
15 Ray Charles - But On The Other Hand Baby - ABC-Paramount 10266
Win #2 for Ray sends Carla running back to Papa Rufus
WINNER : RAY
21 The Regents - Barbara Ann - Cousins 1002
4 Wanda Jackson - In The Middle Of A Heartache - Capitol 4635
She won earlier but here Wanda gets squashed by the Regents
WINNER :REGENTS
19 The Velvets - Tonight (Could Be The Night) - Monument 441
7 The Tokens - Tonight I Fell In Love - Warwick 615
Today's certainly the day the Velvets advance to Round 3
WINNER : VELVETS
22 The Shirelles - Mama Said - Scepter 1217
6 Lowell Fulson - I Want To Know - Checker 972
Big win for The Shirelles sends them into the next round.....
WINNER : SHIRELLES
4 Sonny Fulton - Locked Up - Big Daddy 102
24 The Marvelettes - Please Mister Postman - Tamla 54046
.....where there'll be joined by the gals with Motown's first #1 hit
WINNER : MARVELETTES
17 The Stereos - I Really Love You - Cub 9095
11 Mr. Acker Bilk - Stranger On The Shore - UK Columbia 4750
The Stereos put out what will be the biggest record of 1962
WINNER : STEREOS
27 Barbara George - I Know - AFO 302
2 Hank Ballard & The Midnighters - The Switch-A-Roo - King 5510
No luck here so far for Ballard as Barbara takes this bout with ease
WINNER : BARBARA
17 The Sensations - Let Me In - Argo 5405
10 Little Willie John - There Is Someone In This World For Me - King 5577
Its bye bye to LWJ as the Sensations score here
WINNER : SENSATIONS
7 The Halos - "Nag"- Seven Arts 709
20 The Crystals - There's No Other (Like My Baby) -Philles 100
The Crystals add to the small tally of gal groups in Round 3
WINNER : CRYSTALS
9 Big Mama Thornton - You Did Me Wrong - Baytone 107
12 The Showmen - Country Fool - Minit 632
Willie Mae bows out as the Showmen's flip wins thru here
WINNER : SHOWMEN
13 Etta James - Fool That I Am - Argo 5390
9 Ernie K-Doe - Wanted $10,000.00 Reward - Minit 623
But no joy for another Minit flip against Etta in this bout
WINNER : ETTA
6 Mary Wells - I Don't Want To Take A Chance - Motown 1011
19 James Ray - If You Gotta Make A Fool Of Somebody - Caprice 110
After this result we can safely assume that Mary wasn't singing "My
Guy" about James Ray :)
WINNER : RAY
10 Roy Orbison - Candy Man - Monument 447
19 Dee Clark - Raindrops - Vee Jay 383
Looking more and more like a "dark horse" in the race to the Final Dee
Clark's great hit advances another notch
WINNER : CLARK
14 Jerry Butler - Moon River - Vee Jay 405
13 Jimmy Elledge - Funny How Time Slips Away - RCA 47-7946
Narrow win here for label-mate Butler with the lovely movie song
WINNER : BUTLER
20 Ricky Nelson - Hello Mary Lou - Imperial 5741
7 Gene Pitney - Every Breath I Take - Musicor 1011
Another big win for Ricky at the expense of his song's writer
WINNER : NELSON
9 Solomon Burke - Just Out Of Reach - Atlantic 2114
18 Chuck Jackson - I Don't Want To Cry - Wand 106
He suffered a set back earlier but Chuck bounces back here
WINNER : JACKSON
6 Buddy Holly - You're So Square (Baby I Don't Care) - Coral 62283
22 Fats Domino - I Hear You Knocking - Imperial 5796
Win #2 sees him overcome posthumous Holly with the greatest of ease
WINNER : FATS
20 The Quotations - Imagination - Verve 10245
6 David Ruffin - I'm In Love - Anna 1127
If we extended these contests further into the 60's I'm pretty certain
Ruffin would rectify this little set back :)
WINNER : QUOTATIONS
5 The Sevilles - Charlena - J.C 116
22 The Flares - Foot Stomping - Felsted 8624
Which is exactly what The Flares do here---all over The Sevilles
WINNER : FLARES
20 The Pips - Every Beat Of My Heart - Huntom 2510
8 The Marcels - Heartaches - Colpix 612
Predictable win for the Pips maintains their momentum
WINNER : PIPS
14 Jimmy Reed - Aw Shucks Hush Your Mouth - Vee Jay 425
12 The Belmonts - Tell Me Why - Surprise 1000
Reed's win sees the Belmonts exit to leave Dion really on his own
WINNER : REED
19 Gary (U.S) Bonds - School Is Out - Legrand 1009
11 Elvis Presley - Surrender - RCA 47-7850
Elvis is forced to surrender to Bonds' superiority here
WINNER : BONDS
25 Patsy Cline - Crazy - Decca 31317
4 Jerry Lee Lewis - Cold,Cold Heart - Sun 364
Huge win for Patsy means contest end for Jerry Lee
WINNER : PATSY
15 Bobby Bland - Don't Cry No More - Duke 336
9 James Brown - Lost Someone - King 5573
Bland is having it all his way today while JB is in the doldrums
WINNER : BLAND
21 Ernie K-Doe - A Certain Girl - Minit 634
5 George Jones - Tender Years - Mercury 71804
Another win for Ernie bids George Jones bye bye
WINNER : K-DOE
1 The Clovers - The Honey Dripper - United Artists 307
26 Ben E. King - Stand By Me - Atco 6194
Near shut for Benny must keep in his pole position
WINNER : KING
22 The Jive Five - My True Story - Beltone 1006
5 Howlin' Wolf - Down In The Bottom - Chess 1793
Another record quite capable of going most--if not all--of the way
here
WINNER : JIVE FIVE
7 Etta James - Don't Cry Baby - Argo 5393
19 Timi Yuro - Hurt - Liberty 55343
What's a matter baby can't you believe you're in Round 3??
WINNER : TIMI
4 Nino & The Ebb Tides - Those Oldies But Goodies - Madison 162
22 Hank Ballard & The Midnighters - Nothing But Good -King 5535
At last!!! I get to type those immortal words....
WINNER : BALLARD
3 The Butanes - Don't Forget I Love You - Enrica 1007
24 Elvis Presley - His Latest Flame - RCA 47-7908
This win gives Elvis TWO entries to date in Round Three
WINNER :ELVIS
23 Sam Cooke - Cupid - RCA 47-7883
6 Jessie Hill - Sweet Jelly Roll - Minit 638
Big win for Cooke moves him into Round 3 as Jessie crashes out
WINNER : COOKE
15 Sandy Nelson - Let There Be Drums - Imperial 5775
10 Shep & The Limelites - Three Steps From The Altar - Hull 747
Good too see my favorite Sandy Nelson record make progress
WINNER : NELSON
23 The Corsairs - Smoky Places - Tuff 1808
4 Bo Diddley - Call Me - Checker 985
Splendid win here for the Corsairs as Bo languishes
WINNER : CORSAIRS
4 Dick Dale & The Del-Tones - Let's Go Trippin' - Deltone 5017
22 Jimmy Reed - Bright Lights Big City - Vee Jay 398
Here's another man having a real good day here so far
WINNER : REED
5 Jerry Butler - I'm-A Telling You - Vee Jay 390
23 Ray Charles - Hit The Road Jack - ABC-Paramount 10244
Ray's building up a head of steam---can he take this one all the way?
WINNER : RAY
13 Henry Mancini - Moon River - RCA 47-7916
14 James Brown - I Don't Mind - King 5466
At last a win for JB as the curtain rings down on Mancini
WINNER : BROWN
11 Freddy King - Takin' Care Of Business - Federal 12450
10 The Five Keys - You Broke The Only Heart - King 5446
Another win for Freddy sees the Keys K.O'd narrowly
WINNER : KING
16 Howlin' Wolf - The Red Rooster - Chess 1804
10 The Drifters - Some Kind Of Wonderful - Atlantic 2096
The Drifters are having a dreadful run of luck so far here today
WINNER : WOLF
22 U.S Bonds - Quarter To Three - Legrand 1008
7 Bobby Bland - St. James Infirmary - Duke 340
Another Bonds win with his year biggest and a rare Bland defeat
WINNER : BONDS
5 Buddy Holly - What To Do - UK Coral 72419
22 Dion - Runaround Sue - Laurie 3110
Dion's big win here claims the Holly scalp
WINNER : DION
5 The Miracles - I've Been Good To You - Tamla 54053
22 The Cleftones - Heart And Soul - Gee 1064
The Cleftones are victorous here and move their "Heart And Soul" into
the next round
WINNER : CLEFTONES
19 Irma Thomas - Cry On - Minit 625
3 The Castells - Sacred - Era 3048
Irma makes sure she'll be crying all the way to the bank--and the next
round
WINNER : IRMA
25 The Marcels - Blue Moon - Colpix 186
2 Chris Kenner - Right Kind Of Girl - Prigan 2002
Another entry here likely to be around for a lonnnng time yet
WINNER : MARCELS
22 The Coasters - (Ain't That) Just Like Me - Atco 6210
3 Lucky Carmicheal - Hey Girl - Pam 1002
The Coasters most underated and overlooked of 1961 wins again
WINNER : COASTERS
4 Duane Eddy - Theme From Dixie - Jamie 1183
23 The Everly Brothers - Crying In The Rain - Warner Bros 5250
The Everlys triumph here puts Duane out of the running
WINNER : EVERLYS
15 Fats Domino - Ain't That Just Like A Woman - Imperial 5723
9 Hank Ballard & The Midnighters - What Is This I See - King 5491
Fats revival here gives him another entry in Round Three
WINNER : FATS
17 Chubby Checker - Pony Time - Parkway 818
12 Gene McDaniels - Tower Of Strength - Liberty 55371
Chubby's win here means the McDaniels contest demise
WINNER : CHECKER
16 The Sims Twins - Soothe Me - Sar 117
7 Jackie Wilson - You Don't Know What It Means - Brunswick 55219
Nice win for the splendid Sims Twins
WINNER : SIMS TWINS
1 Larry Terry - Hep Cat - Testa 106
27 Bruce Channel - Hey Baby - Le Cam 953
Another near whitewash this time courtesy Mr Channel
WINNER : CHANNEL
5 Don Gibson - Lonesome Number One - RCA 47-7959
23 The Jarmels - A Little Bit Of Soap - Laurie 3098
The Jarmel;s do a job on Gibson to move into Round 3
WINNER : JARMELS
10 Brook Benton - The Boll Weevil Song - Mercury 71820
18 Freddy Cannon - Buzz Buzz A Diddle It - Swan 4071
Cannon fires on all cylinders ending Benton's contest involvement
WINNER : CANNON
7 Del Shannon - Hats Off To Larry - Big Top 3075
23 The Shirelles - Baby It's You - Scepter 1227
Win #2 for the Shirelles dumps out Shannon's followup
WINNER : SHIRELLES
8 Ray Charles - I'm Gonna Move To The Outskirts Of Town - Impulse 202
18 Charlie Rich - Who Will The Next Fool Be - Phillips International 3566
For my money the best thing that Rich ever did---and it wins big!
WINNER : RICH
17 The Chantels - Look In My Eyes - Carlton 555
7 The Clovers - Drive It Home - Atlantic 2129
The gals here claim a big vocal group scalp---none other than the
Clovers
WINNER : CHANTELS
11 Elmore James - Look On Yonder Wall - Fire 504
18 The Tokens - The Lion Sleeps Tonight - RCA 47-7954
The Tokens carry their "Wimoweh" revamp into Round 3
WINNER : TOKENS
21 The Dukays - Duke Of Earl - Nat 4003
5 Fats Domino - It Keeps Rainin' - Imperial 5753
Predictably big win for the future 1962 #1 hit song
WINNER : DUKAYS
11 Freddy King - I'm Tore Down - Federal 12432
17 Dick & Dee Dee - The Mountain's High - Lama 7778
These were drawing last time I looked. D& DD's mountain finally proves
too high for Freddy
WINNER : DICK & DEE DEE
2 Don & Bob - Good Morning Little School Girl - Argo 5400
27 Roy Orbison - Crying - Monument 447
Orbison only had two new singles in 1961 both of them great
WINNER : ORBISON
18 Dinah Washington - September In The Rain - Mercury 71876
7 Tommy Ridgely - Double Eye Whammy - Ric 978
Dinah's luck holds as she progresses to Round 3
WINNER : DINAH
6 Little Junior Parker - Driving Wheel - Duke 335
23 Shep & The Limelites - Daddy's Home - Hull 740
No suprise here as this classic Shep & Limelites gains a big win
WINNER : SHEP & LIMELITES
4 The Coasters - Wait A Minute - Atco 6186
24 Arthur Alexander - You Better Move On - Dot 16309
Arthur makes sure both sides of his great double sider will be
represented next time out
WINNER : ALEXANDER
14 Elmore James - Shake Your Money Maker - Fire 504
13 Fats Domino - Jambalaya - Imperial 5796
Another nice win for Elmore---if only by a whisker
WINNER : ELMORE
10 The Miracles - What's So Good About Goodbye - Tamla 54053
16 The Drifters - Please Stay - Atlantic 2105
OMG I was beginning to think a Drifters win would never come!!!
WINNER : DRIFTERS
20 Chuck Berry - I'm Talking About You - Chess 1779
6 Freddy King - Lonesome Whistle Blues - Federal 12415
Chuck carries both of his entries into the next round
WINNER : CHUCK
12 Eddie Holland - Jamie - Motown 1021
11 Bo Diddley - Pills - Checker 985
But no such luck for Bo Diddley who is shown the door from the contest
by Mr Holland here
WINNER : HOLLAND
18 The Showmen - It Will Stand - Minit 632
9 The Marathons - Peanut Butter - Arvee 5027
And The Showmen will stand in the next round with TWO entries
WINNER : SHOWMEN
5 Gene Vincent - She She Little Sheila - UK Capitol 15202
21 Curtis Lee - Pretty Little Angel Eyes - Dunes 2007
Another win for Lee pushes Gene out of the contest running
WINNER : LEE
10 Albert King - I Walked All Night Long - Bobbin 129
18 Chubby Checker - Let's Twist Again - Parkway 824
Chubby's big hit twist followup gets convincing win here
WINNER : CHECKER
3 James Brown - Love Don't Love Nobody - King 5466
24 The Mar-Keys - Last Night - Satellite 107
One of the best instrumentals in the contest continues its great run
WINNER : MAR-KEYS
6 Rockin' Robin Roberts - Louie,Louie - Etiquette 1
24 Roy Orbison - Running Scared- Monument 438
The other great Orbison single (and the best one IMO) reigns supreme!
WINNER : ORBISON
2 Fats Domino - What A Party - Imperial 5779
25 Elvis Presley - Little Sister - RCA 47-7908
Elvis' little sister proves Fats' party pooper
WINNER : ELVIS
8 The Quotations - Ala-Men-Sy - Verve 10245
17 Gladys Knight & The Pips - Letter Full Of Tears - Fury 1054
Gladys & co rack up win #2 over the Quotations flip
WINNER : GLADYS
22 The Impressions - Gypsy Woman - ABC-Paramount 10241
5 Bobby Vee - Take Good Care Of My Baby - Liberty 55354
Vee can't even take good care of himself as the Impressions chalk up
another...um...impressive win here
WINNER : IMPRESSIONS
4 Etta James - Anything To Say You're Mine - Argo 5385
21 Gene Pitney - Town Without Pity - Musicor 1009
Gene's first movie based song hit takes its place in Round 3
WINNER : PITNEY
26 Dion - The Wanderer - Laurie 3115
2 Gary (U.S) Bonds - School Is In - Legrand 1012
Huge win by Dion with his year best IMO over formidable opponent
WINNER : DION
9 Lightnin' Hopkins - Mojo Hand - Fire 1034
20 The Dovells - Bristol Stomp - Parkway 827
It started in Bristol for the Dovells but where will it end? Not in
this round thats for sure
WINNER : DOVELLS
16 LaVern Baker - Saved - Atlantic 2099
13 Pat Boone - Moody River - Dot 16209
LaVern is certainly saved for Round 3 but Boone's further contest
involvement ends here
WINNER ; LaVERN
21 Patsy Cline - I Fall To Pieces - Decca 31205
7 Ben E.King - Young Boy Blues - Atco 6207
Another win for Patsy at the expense of Benny's nice flip
WINNER : PATSY
19 Brenda Lee - Break It To Me Gently - Decca 31348
8 Hank Ballard & The Midnighters - The Continental Walk - King 5491
Brenda strikes again with a ballad that sinks a Ballard
WINNER : BRENDA
5 The Marcels - Goodbye To Love - Colpix 186
24 Bobby Lewis - Tossin' And Turnin' - Beltone 1002
The #1 record of 1961 looks like it may be on course for the duration
WINNER : LEWIS
10 Aaron Neville - Let's Live - Minit 631
13 James Brown - Baby You're Right - King 5524
Aaron's plea fall on deaf ears with the majority of voters as JB moves
another entry into Round 3
WINNER : BROWN
14 Ray Charles - One Mint Julep - Impulse 200
11 Slim Harpo - Don't Start Cryin' Now - Excello 2194
Slim slips up here as his flip fails to do the business against Ray's
big hit instrumental
WINNER : RAY
4 Junior Wells - Messin' With The Kid - Chief 7021
25 Del Shannon - Runaway - Big Top 3067
Del wins big time to keep well in the running to be a possible Grand
Final contender here
WINNER : SHANNON
7 U.S Bonds - Not Me - Legrand 1005
21 Roy Orbison - Love Hurts - Monument 438
Roy makes it three out of three as he carries ALL his entries from
this Round into Round 3
WINNER : ORBISON
22 Bobby Bland - Turn On Your Love Light - Duke 344
4 The Five Blind Boys Of Alabama - Something Got Hold Of Me - Gospel 1047
He had just one slip up but otherwise a good day indeed for Bobby
Bland
WINNER : BLAND
11 Brenda Lee - Fool #1 - Decca 31309
18 William Bell - You Don't Miss Your Water - Stax 116
Good to see William Bell advance here
WINNER : BELL
6 Ernie K-Doe - Te Ta Te Ta Ta - Minit 627
19 The Coasters - Little Egypt - Atco 6192
Roll up and see Little Egypt shake and shimmy her way into Round 3
WINNER : COASTERS
20 Jimmy Reed - Big Boss Man - Vee Jay 380
8 The Blue Jays - Lover's Island - Milestone 2008
Rounding off a great day for Jimmy Reed with another terrific win
WINNER : REED
16 Leroy Van Dyke - Walk On By - Mercury 71834
11 Lowell Fulsom - Hung Down Head - Checker 992
Van Dyke has the luck of the devil here as he takes Lowell's scalp
WINNER : VAN DYKE
10 Dion - The Majestic - Laurie 3115
16 Lee Dorsey - Do Re Mi - Fury 1056
He tasted defeat earlier but Dorsey's followup fares better
WINNER : DORSEY
8 Elvis Presley - I Feel So Bad - RCA 47-7880
20 The Dreamlovers - When We Get Married - Heritage 102
The Dreamlovers make it a two-some for them in Round 3---subjugating
none other than Elvis in order to do it
WINNER : DREAMLOVERS
14 Ike & Tina Turner - Poor Fool - Sue 753
11 Etta James - Sunday Kind Of Love - Argo 5393
A two-some also for Ike & Tina who succeed here at Etta James' expense
WINNER : IKE & TINA
14 Ray Charles - I've Got News For You - Impulse 202
12 The Earls - Life Is But A Dream - Rome 101
And the news Ray has for the Earls is "you're out of the contest
fellas"
WINNER : RAY
20 Gary (U.S) Bonds - Dear Lady Twist - Legrand 1015
7 The Crickets - I Fought The Law - UK Coral 72440
As are the Crickets who fall foul of the winning ways of U.S Bonds
here
WINNER : BONDS

All designated winners advance to Round Three

Round Three matchups will appear here and oin the web site shortly

an extra "b" in my e-mail address (***@bblueyonder.co.uk).
Musicman55
2010-02-07 13:18:46 UTC
This is offered simply as an informational posting. Roger has posted
the Winners and Losers from the voting in Round 2 of the 1961 Singles
Battle. As I would imagine is the case for several other Group
members, listening to many of these Songs can be much fun.

So with that sentiment in mind, here is my List of the 128 best
Singles from Round 2 based on my own personal musical taste. Some
might find this objectionable. But Roger and Bruce have both posted
their Favorites in the past.

These were my 128 Favorites from Round 2:

***** The Angels - Till - Caprice 107
***** Sam Cooke - Cupid - RCA 47-7883
[...]

There were only 22 Singles that I would have selected that I was
forced to vote against since I preferred the Opponent even more. I
would only contend that each of these 22 Singles was good enough
musically to have possibly won some Battles against a lesser Opponent.

Phil Zorn
Sharx35
2010-02-07 22:11:47 UTC
Post by Musicman55
[...]
Regardless of my recent comments, Phil, I have to agree that SOME of your
choices were damn good. However, the idiots here who masturbate over obscure
ghetto crap thought otherwise.
Musicman55
2010-02-08 05:30:42 UTC
Post by Sharx35
[...]
ghetto crap thought otherwise.- Hide quoted text -
Sharx,

Thanks for your positive comments. You and I have always made some
type of connection since we both regret that each Yearly Battle
features such an enormous number of really obscure Singles.

If you would notice carefully how Mike H and Mark D vote, you might
give them more credit too. Although our musical tastes vary for
obvious reasons, I believe that both of them try to select the best
Single in each Battle regardless of genre as well.

If the other Group members would consider my List of 128 Singles in
the spirit that it was offered, maybe some others would realize there
are still quite a large number of great Singles featured in each of
these Yearly Battles.

Phil Zorn
Mark Dintenfass
2010-02-07 15:24:25 UTC
10 Chuck Jackson - I Wake Up Crying - Wand 110
10 Fention Robinson - Tennessee Woman - Duke 329
Draw #1...and the tie break gizmo takes over now....and says that in
Round 1 Jackson scored 13 votes but Robinson topped that with
16....therefore..........
WINNER : ROBINSON
A reactionary result as a decent retro rocker edges an excellent
proto-soul record. I don't get it.
Post by Roger Ford
12 Curtis Lee - Under The Moon Of Love - Dunes 2008
10 Aretha Franklin - Won't Be Long - Columbia 41923
Lee moves on to Round 3 and Aretha takes her leave of the contest
WINNER : LEE
Nor do I get this. Aretha lets go the way she seldom did on Columbia,
and wouldn't again until much later in the decade, and gets beat by the
the mildly talented Curtis Lee doing a Freddy Cannon imitation.
Post by Roger Ford
13 Ral Donner - Girl Of My Best Friend - Gone 5102
11 The Spinners - That's What Girls Are Made For - Tri-Phi 1001
Donner's Elvis ripoff pushes out one of the better vocal group items
in the contest
WINNER : DONNER
Nor do I get an Elvis impersonator beating an early example of what
made the Spinners so great.
Post by Roger Ford
15 Little Caesar & The Romans - Those Oldies But Goodies - Del-Fi 4158
13 Bobby Parker - Watch Your Step - V-Tone 223
Little Caesar & co tips one of the best records in the contest out
WINNER : LITTLE CAESAR/ROMANS
Nor do I get this result as a badly sung doowop impersonation beats
Parker's great record. I mean nostalgia is fine, but a few voters seem
to be checking their top 40 charts before voting.
Post by Roger Ford
15 Joey Dee & The Starliters - Peppermint Twist - Roulette 4401
14 Rockin' Sidney - You Ain't Nothin' But Fine - Jin 156
By a mere whisker Dee & Co carry on twistin'
WINNER : DEE
Nor do I get this result. Sorry for ranting, but come ON!
Post by Roger Ford
17 The Sensations - Let Me In - Argo 5405
10 Little Willie John - There Is Someone In This World For Me - King 5577
Its bye bye to LWJ as the Sensations score here
WINNER : SENSATIONS
'Nuff said.
Todd Lucas
2010-02-07 15:57:09 UTC
15 Little Caesar & The Romans - Those Oldies But Goodies - Del-Fi 4158
13 Bobby Parker - Watch Your Step - V-Tone 223
Little Caesar & co tips one of the best records in the contest out
WINNER : LITTLE CAESAR/ROMANS
Nor do I get this result as a badly sung doowop impersonation beats
Parker's great record. I mean nostalgia is fine, but a few voters seem
to be checking their top 40 charts before voting.
Proof positive that popular claptrap will usually beat a great but
lesser-known record. Sometimes i wonder if it's even worth voting in
these things, which are mainly just popularity contests.
50s
"Watch Your Step" is NOT a great record.
Mark Dintenfass
2010-02-07 17:26:52 UTC
In article
Post by 50s
Little Caesar & The Romans - Those Oldies But Goodies - Del-Fi 4158
13 Bobby Parker - Watch Your Step - V-Tone 223
Little Caesar & co tips one of the best records in the contest out
WINNER : LITTLE CAESAR/ROMANS
Nor do I get this result as a badly sung doowop impersonation beats
Parker's great record. I mean nostalgia is fine, but a few voters seem
to be checking their top 40 charts before voting.
Proof positive that popular claptrap will usually beat a great but
lesser-known record.  Sometimes i wonder if it's even worth voting in
these things, which are mainly just popularity contests.
"Watch Your Step" is NOT a great record.
Does that mean you voted for "Goodies?" And how come you don't post
your votes here? It would be a lot more interesting if you (and the
others who don't bother) did. Might even make for more conversation.
Marc Dashevsky
2010-02-07 22:58:43 UTC
Post by 50s
"Watch Your Step" is NOT a great record.
Does that mean you voted for "Goodies?" And how come you don't post
your votes here? It would be a lot more interesting if you (and the
others who don't bother) did. Might even make for more conversation.
The reason I don't post my votes is that I don't have the time or
energy to annotate the votes with my comments on these rounds that
contain large numbers of contestant songs. If you would like to see
just my votes, I'll be glad to post them. I have nothing to hide!
I'm grateful for those that make the effort to comment on their votes.
Sharx35
2010-02-07 23:52:45 UTC
Post by Marc Dashevsky
Post by Mark Dintenfass
Post by 50s
"Watch Your Step" is NOT a great record.
Does that mean you voted for "Goodies?" And how come you don't post
your votes here? It would be a lot more interesting if you (and the
others who don't bother) did. Might even make for more conversation.
The reason I don't post my votes is that I don't have the time or
energy to annotate the votes with my comments on these rounds that
contain large numbers of contestant songs. If you would like to see
just my votes, I'll be glad to post them. I have nothing to hide!
I'm grateful for those that make the effort to comment on their votes.
We all know that the more obscure a record is, the more likely you are to
have voted for it. Hint: there are usually several reasons why a record is
obscure.
Sharx35
It's absolutely DRECKful!
Mark Dintenfass
2010-02-07 18:12:57 UTC
In article
Post by Todd Lucas
15 Little Caesar & The Romans - Those Oldies But Goodies - Del-Fi 4158
13 Bobby Parker - Watch Your Step - V-Tone 223
Little Caesar & co tips one of the best records in the contest out
WINNER : LITTLE CAESAR/ROMANS
Nor do I get this result as a badly sung doowop impersonation beats
Parker's great record. I mean nostalgia is fine, but a few voters seem
to be checking their top 40 charts before voting.
Proof positive that popular claptrap will usually beat a great but
lesser-known record. Sometimes i wonder if it's even worth voting in
these things, which are mainly just popularity contests.
Listening (or re-listening) to the music, and maybe stirring some
conversation about it, is the point. The voting (annoying as it
sometimes is) is just a means to that end. That's why it's worth
voting.
Todd Lucas
2010-02-07 18:38:36 UTC
In article
Post by Todd Lucas
15 Little Caesar & The Romans - Those Oldies But Goodies - Del-Fi 4158
13 Bobby Parker - Watch Your Step - V-Tone 223
Little Caesar & co tips one of the best records in the contest out
WINNER : LITTLE CAESAR/ROMANS
Nor do I get this result as a badly sung doowop impersonation beats
Parker's great record. I mean nostalgia is fine, but a few voters seem
to be checking their top 40 charts before voting.
Proof positive that popular claptrap will usually beat a great but
lesser-known record.  Sometimes i wonder if it's even worth voting in
these things, which are mainly just popularity contests.
Listening (or re-listening) to the music, and maybe stirring some
conversation about it, is the point. The voting (annoying as it
sometimes is) is just a means to that end. That's why it's worth
voting.
Yeah, you're right. Plus, it's funny when Bruce admits to voting for
crap like Bobby Rydell, as a result of my complaining. At least the
Little Caeser record is merely claptrap and not full out crap.
Mark Dintenfass
2010-02-07 18:46:18 UTC
In article
Post by Todd Lucas
Post by Mark Dintenfass
In article
Post by Todd Lucas
[...]
I wish he would post his votes so we could get a fuller picture of his
tastes than his annual top-hundred lists provide.
50s
2010-02-07 19:02:14 UTC
In article
Post by Mark Dintenfass
In article
Post by Todd Lucas
[...]
Here you go:

[...]

The Angels - Till - Caprice107

Brenda Lee - Break It To Me Gently - Decca 31348
***** Ernie K-Doe - Mother-In-Law - Minit 623

Chuck Berry - Come On - Chess 1799
***** The Jarmels - A Little Bit Of Soap - Laurie 3098

Jimmy Reed - Aw Shucks Hush Your Mouth - Vee Jay 425
***** Bruce Channel - Hey Baby - Le Cam 953

***** The Quotations - Imagination - Verve 10245
Eddie Holland - Jamie - Motown 1021

Ral Donner - Girl Of My Best Friend - Gone 5102
***** Dinah Washington - September In The Rain - Mercury 71876

***** Roy Orbison - Running Scared- Monument 438
Irma Thomas - Cry On - Minit 625

The Regents - Barbara Ann - Cousins 1002
***** Chubby Checker - Pony Time - Parkway 818

Etta James - Fool That I Am - Argo 5390
***** The Marcels - Blue Moon - Colpix 186

The Coasters - (Ain't That) Just Like Me - Atco 6210
***** Ricky Nelson - Travelin' Man - Imperial 5741

Little Caesar & The Romans - Those Oldies But Goodies - Del-Fi 4158
***** Don & Juan - What's Your Name - Big Top 3079

The Mar-Keys - Last Night - Satellite 107
***** Gary (U.S) Bonds - Dear Lady Twist - Legrand 1015

The Chantels - Look In My Eyes - Carlton 555
***** The Pips - Every Beat Of My Heart - Huntom 2510

***** Ernie K-Doe - A Certain Girl - Minit 634
The Shirelles - Mama Said - Scepter 1217

***** Bobby Bland - Don't Cry No More - Duke 336
The Tokens - The Lion Sleeps Tonight - RCA 47-7954

Maxine Brown - Funny - Nomar 106
***** Dee Clark - Raindrops - Vee Jay 383

Sam Cooke - Cupid - RCA 47-7883
***** Dion - The Wanderer - Laurie 3115

Timi Yuro - Hurt - Liberty 55343
***** Barbara George - I Know - AFO 302

***** Ray Charles - Hit The Road Jack - ABC-Paramount 10244
Elmore James - Rollin' And Tumblin' - Fire 1024

***** The Velvets - Tonight (Could Be The Night) - Monument 441
Patsy Cline - I Fall To Pieces - Decca 31205

***** The Drifters - Please Stay - Atlantic 2105
Lee Dorsey - Do Re Mi - Fury 1056

Sharx35
2010-02-07 22:16:37 UTC
Post by Musicman55
Post by Mark Dintenfass
In article
Post by Todd Lucas
SOME great picks except for the Bland dreck shit.
Mark Dintenfass
2010-02-08 15:52:18 UTC
In article
Post by Mark Dintenfass
In article
I wish he would post his votes so we could get a fuller picture of his
tastes than his annual top-hundred lists provide.
***** Barry Mann - Who Put The Bomp - ABC-Paramount 10237
James Ray - If You Gotta Make A Fool Of Somebody - Caprice 110
The only major surprise.

Thanks.
2010-02-11 10:37:56 UTC
Post by Musicman55
Post by Mark Dintenfass
In article
I wish he would post his votes so we could get a fuller picture of his
tastes than his annual top-hundred lists provide.
***** Chuck Jackson - I Don't Want To Cry - Wand 106
Freddy Cannon - Buzz Buzz A Diddle It - Swan 4071
Thanks Bruce.

You're not such a Black-American loving bloke that I thought you might
be.

Geoff
Mark Dintenfass
2010-02-11 13:47:38 UTC
Thanks Bruce.
You're not such a Black-American loving bloke that I thought you might
be.
This kind of comment is even more disgusting coming from you than Sharx
since you seem to possess a brain.
Sharx35
2010-02-12 00:17:16 UTC
Thanks Bruce.
You're not such a Black-American loving bloke that I thought you might
be.
This kind of comment is even more disgusting coming from you than Sharx
since you seem to possess a brain.
Bullshit. There are some here who usually, in a black/white matchup of
artists, opt for the BLACK artist. Even when the Black entry is some obscure
fucking FLIP SIDE.
RWC
2010-02-12 08:37:41 UTC
On Thu, 11 Feb 2010 07:47:38 -0600, Mark Dintenfass
Thanks Bruce.
You're not such a Black-American loving bloke that I thought you might
be.
This kind of comment is even more disgusting coming from you than Sharx
since you seem to possess a brain.
What an offensive remark. Shame on you.

Don't you realize. Mark, that Bruce has an image here, built over many
years, of being strongly inclined/biased towards black music - my
perception at least. Perhaps my remark was too cryptic - I was only
referring to 50s music.

Geoff
Sharx35
2010-02-12 08:55:45 UTC
On Thu, 11 Feb 2010 07:47:38 -0600, Mark Dintenfass
Thanks Bruce.
You're not such a Black-American loving bloke that I thought you might
be.
This kind of comment is even more disgusting coming from you than Sharx
since you seem to possess a brain.
What an offensive remark. Shame on you.
Don't you realize. Mark, that Bruce has an image here, built over many
years, of being strongly inclined/biased towards black music - my
perception at least. Perhaps my remark was too cryptic - I was only
referring to 50s music.
Geoff
Bias is too weak a word--he is prejudiced against honkey music....a sort of
self-hatred, self-loathing..BUt can you blame him.....
Mark Dintenfass
2010-02-12 15:59:37 UTC
On Thu, 11 Feb 2010 07:47:38 -0600, Mark Dintenfass
Thanks Bruce.
You're not such a Black-American loving bloke that I thought you might
be.
This kind of comment is even more disgusting coming from you than Sharx
since you seem to possess a brain.
What an offensive remark. Shame on you.
Don't you realize. Mark, that Bruce has an image here, built over many
years, of being strongly inclined/biased towards black music - my
perception at least. Perhaps my remark was too cryptic - I was only
referring to 50s music.
I'll take that as a partial retraction, but even then, to say someone
is "biased" toward black music is way too close to Sharx-infested
waters. Anyway, Bruce is merely typical of the vast majority here who
prefer r&b over pop in the 50s, if that's all you meant.
2010-02-14 16:13:26 UTC
On Fri, 12 Feb 2010 09:59:37 -0600, Mark Dintenfass
On Thu, 11 Feb 2010 07:47:38 -0600, Mark Dintenfass
Thanks Bruce.
You're not such a Black-American loving bloke that I thought you might
be.
This kind of comment is even more disgusting coming from you than Sharx
since you seem to possess a brain.
What an offensive remark. Shame on you.
Don't you realize. Mark, that Bruce has an image here, built over many
years, of being strongly inclined/biased towards black music - my
perception at least. Perhaps my remark was too cryptic - I was only
referring to 50s music.
I'll take that as a partial retraction
This paragraph is not a retraction. Rather, it's an apology for not
making clear I was referring only to Black "music".
Post by Mark Dintenfass
, but even then, to say someone
is "biased" toward black music is way too close to Sharx-infested
waters.
Your reference to Sharx, whilst a pertinent analogy in your mind, is
actually an irrelevant distraction here.

What does biased mean: prejudiced, weighted, one-sided, partial,
distorted, swayed, warped, slanted, embittered, predisposed.

Between us the vote is 50/50. On my side: weighted, partial, swayed,
slanted and predisposed. Anyway, I'll graciously grant you the benefit
of the doubt and retract "biased".
Post by Mark Dintenfass
Anyway, Bruce is merely typical of the vast majority here who
prefer r&b over pop in the 50s, if that's all you meant.
Since 98%? of 50s r&b is found in Black music, my original (later
qualified) "Black-American loving" comment is, then, failrly accurate
:-)

Geoff

Sharx35
2010-02-07 22:15:18 UTC
Post by Todd Lucas
Post by Mark Dintenfass
In article
Post by Todd Lucas
[...]
If Rydell is crap, then the cum that made you is the lowest form of ghetto
shit.
Sharx35
Too fucking bad, you fucking asswad.
Roger Ford
2010-02-08 11:57:19 UTC
On Sun, 7 Feb 2010 07:57:09 -0800 (PST), Todd Lucas
Post by Todd Lucas
15 Little Caesar & The Romans - Those Oldies But Goodies - Del-Fi 4158
13 Bobby Parker - Watch Your Step - V-Tone 223
Little Caesar & co tips one of the best records in the contest out
WINNER : LITTLE CAESAR/ROMANS
Nor do I get this result as a badly sung doowop impersonation beats
Parker's great record. I mean nostalgia is fine, but a few voters seem
to be checking their top 40 charts before voting.
Proof positive that popular claptrap will usually beat a great but
lesser-known record. Sometimes i wonder if it's even worth voting in
these things, which are mainly just popularity contests.
I find that on the whole the cream in these contests generally does
rise to the top but obviously every so often there's a glitch and just
as say a piece of popular but mediocre froth ("Goodies") will defeat a
much better but less well known record ("Watch Your Step")

an extra "b" in my e-mail address (***@bblueyonder.co.uk).
Marc Dashevsky
Nothing I can add to this except "I second all motions."
Mark Dintenfass
2010-02-07 17:29:30 UTC
Post by Roger Ford
17 The Sensations - Let Me In - Argo 5405
10 Little Willie John - There Is Someone In This World For Me - King 5577
Its bye bye to LWJ as the Sensations score here
WINNER : SENSATIONS
'Nuff said.
Nothing I can add to this except "I second all motions."
You meant you second those e-motions., right? :-)

(Smokey's pun is one of the best ever.)
2010-02-07 18:47:50 UTC
Post by Roger Ford
17 The Sensations - Let Me In - Argo 5405
10 Little Willie John - There Is Someone In This World For Me - King 5577
Its bye bye to LWJ as the Sensations score here
WINNER : SENSATIONS
'Nuff said.
Nothing I can add to this except "I second all motions."
------------
OMG, me three.

DianeE
Cherry
2010-02-07 17:53:29 UTC
Post by Roger Ford
17 The Sensations - Let Me In - Argo 5405
10 Little Willie John - There Is Someone In This World For Me - King 5577
Its bye bye to LWJ as the Sensations score here
WINNER : SENSATIONS
'Nuff said.
I agree on the first four, not the last two.
You know, sometimes I'm sure "popularity" comes into play in the
voting or "nostalgia". What's wrong with that? If there's a song that
was popular and long loved what's wrong with voting for it over some
obscure flip side or something?
I for one, make it a point to check out each and every song that I'm
not familiar with and often that's not a lot of songs. So I'm giving
each song a fair shot. But, in a lot of cases (not all) I'll vote for
a "hit" over something that even back in 1961 or whatever was little
heard.
I don't think anyone should have to apologize for their voting. May
the best record win...or not.
Mark Dintenfass
2010-02-07 18:10:41 UTC
Post by Roger Ford
[...]
I respect everyone's right to vote as they please, on whatever basis
they choose. I also reserve the right to bitch about it when the
results seem to me oddly out of whack with my own sense of what's good
and what's bad. I certainly don't expect any apologies, nor even think
there's anything for anyone to apologize for, but I'm happy if we
manage to have more conversation about the contests (the only real
point of which I believe is to give us something different to talk
about) and sometimes venting produces that.
Sharx35
2010-02-07 22:12:45 UTC
Post by Roger Ford
17 The Sensations - Let Me In - Argo 5405
10 Little Willie John - There Is Someone In This World For Me - King 5577
Its bye bye to LWJ as the Sensations score here
WINNER : SENSATIONS
'Nuff said.
Suck it up, mothafucka!
Musicman55
2010-02-08 05:54:13 UTC
Post by Roger Ford
17 The Sensations - Let Me In - Argo 5405
10 Little Willie John - There Is Someone In This World For Me - King 5577
Its bye bye to LWJ as the Sensations score here
WINNER : SENSATIONS
'Nuff said.
Mark D,

Since I have just paid you and Mike H a compliment for the care I feel
you each take in trying to select the best Single in each Battle, I
would like to agree with several of your observations.

Although we see his music slightly differently, we both felt Chuck
Jackson was a talented Singer. I always thought of him as a Pop/R & B
Artist.

And I agree that Won't Be Long was one of the very best Singles Aretha
ever had before she signed to much success at Atlantic.

The Spinners vs. Ral Donner was relatively close for me, but I too
chose The Spinners record in this Battle.

And The Peppermint Twist was one of the most dreadful Hits ever in my
view. On the two remaining Doo Wop Hits, I must disagree. Apparently
I must like Group Harmony better than you.

I thought that Little Willie John had some great records during his
career. The one featured in this Battle was not among them though in
my view.

Phil Zorn
Clifford Blau
2010-02-10 02:35:42 UTC
On Sun, 07 Feb 2010 09:24:25 -0600, Mark Dintenfass
15 Little Caesar & The Romans - Those Oldies But Goodies - Del-Fi 4158
13 Bobby Parker - Watch Your Step - V-Tone 223
Little Caesar & co tips one of the best records in the contest out
WINNER : LITTLE CAESAR/ROMANS
Nor do I get this result as a badly sung doowop impersonation beats
Parker's great record. I mean nostalgia is fine, but a few voters seem
to be checking their top 40 charts before voting.
I voted for LC&tR, and nostalgia had nothing to do with it. I wasn't
listening to pop music in 1961. But I hear their recording every
week, and the only time I hear the Bobby Parker is if I play it. It's
only natural I am going to have more affection for the former.
15 Joey Dee & The Starliters - Peppermint Twist - Roulette 4401
14 Rockin' Sidney - You Ain't Nothin' But Fine - Jin 156
By a mere whisker Dee & Co carry on twistin'
WINNER : DEE
Nor do I get this result. Sorry for ranting, but come ON!
You don't get it? I know the Rockin' Sidney tune better by Rockpile,
but I think his version is just as good. But Peppermint Twist is a
classic.

"Curse you, Don Tickles, Notary Public!"