August Nominations
2020-07-27 00:52:26 UTC
Okay, I've got mine set. I think they all qaulify.

Mind Your Own Business Babe - Arthur Gunter

Pink And Black - Sonny Fisher

I Cry - Cadets

Home At Last - Little Willie John

Tell Me - Howlin' Wolf

Carl
2020-07-27 01:05:46 UTC
Here’s mine. 5 again from 1955

I Wish I Knew - Bobby Mitchell & The Toppers - Imperial 5326

Blues For My Cookie - Lightnin’ Hopkins - Herald 465

Taxi Driver - John Lee Hooker - Vee Jay 958

Promises Promises Promises - The Penguins - Mercury 70703

Red’s Blues - Piano Red - Groove 0126

Roger Ford
2020-07-28 12:00:23 UTC
Here's mine. 5 again from 1955
Taxi Driver - John Lee Hooker - Vee Jay 958

It was actually on Modern 958 recorded in 1954 and released in 1955

Hooker didn't appear on Vee Jay till December 1955

2020-07-27 13:25:50 UTC
Mine. Hope they pass muster.

Walk Your Blues Away - Professor Longhair

I¹m Calling - Dells

Getting Dizzy - Elegants

You Can¹t Stay Here (Step It Up And Go) - Pearl Reaves

Because I Love You - Dee Clark

2020-07-27 15:59:35 UTC
Mine. Hope they pass muster.
You Can¹t Stay Here (Step It Up And Go) - Pearl Reaves
http://youtu.be/GOKe4Q5R7Z4
-----------
Not this one. (Note alternate spelling of last name.)

Pearl Reeves and The Concords You Can't Stay Here Harlem 4332 55
Mark Dintenfass
2020-07-27 17:59:46 UTC
Mine. Hope they pass muster.
You Can1t Stay Here (Step It Up And Go) - Pearl Reaves
http://youtu.be/GOKe4Q5R7Z4
-----------
Not this one. (Note alternate spelling of last name.)
Pearl Reeves and The Concords You Can't Stay Here Harlem 4332 55
Oh, darn. I thought this one would do well.

Okay, here's a sub:

I Don¹t Know What It Is But I Like It - Varetta Dillard

2020-07-27 15:29:20 UTC
Okay, I've got mine set. I think they all qaulify.
I Cry - Cadets
http://youtu.be/tW8A8WCjMY0
----------
Is this a different record from:

Cadets, The I Cried Modern 956 55 ?
SavoyBG
Same record, so it was in already with the wrong title?
SavoyBG
2020-07-27 16:18:04 UTC
Okay, I've got mine set. I think they all qaulify.
I Cry - Cadets
http://youtu.be/tW8A8WCjMY0
----------
Cadets, The I Cried Modern 956 55 ?
Same record, so it was in already with the wrong title?
Replacing the Cadets with....

Don't Give No More Than You Can Take - Five Royales

Roger Ford
2020-07-27 19:25:11 UTC
Okay, I've got mine set. I think they all qaulify.
I Cry - Cadets
http://youtu.be/tW8A8WCjMY0
----------
Cadets, The I Cried Modern 956 55 ?
Same record, so it was in already with the wrong title?
Yep,wrong title used. Sorry 'bout that

2020-07-27 17:16:17 UTC
Sixth time lucky?? ha ha

Mississippi Boogie - Jimmy Liggins - Specialty 353 - 1950

Can't Find My Sadie - Checkers - King 4764 - 1955

Honey Honey - Supremes - Ace unreleased - 1957

I'm Gonna Catch You (Cuttin' Out On Me) - Curtis Carrington - Fury
1018 - 1958

Special Lesson #1 - Billy Tate - Excello? Jay Miller Studio
anyway...unreleased - I have 1959 (Bastin has it earlier tho)
Whichever way it never fought a Battle

2020-07-27 20:30:53 UTC
A one off for me. I found four possibles I had saved and I think my psyche has had sufficient time to recover, so back to the wars one more time.

SavoyBG
2020-07-27 20:55:52 UTC
http://youtu.be/ygjHvGwUPmg
http://youtu.be/22u6KhW6Lyw
http://youtu.be/miokLyfqe9g
http://youtu.be/mkBRa8hF6sg
You need one more, and we'd like to know what these are.
Bill B
2020-07-27 21:24:13 UTC
You need one more
I'm Gonna Knock On Your Door - Eddie Hodges

Bill B
2020-07-27 21:27:53 UTC
http://youtu.be/QRIhld4O68c
Ah shit, I forgot to check and it was in a Battle. I'll get another.
DianeE
I'll bet it got severely trounced in that Battle!
Roger Ford
2020-07-28 05:54:24 UTC
You need one more
I'm Gonna Knock On Your Door - Eddie Hodges
http://youtu.be/QRIhld4O68c
Ah shit, I forgot to check and it was in a Battle. I'll get another.
----------
I'll bet it got severely trounced in that Battle!
Not quite as badly as you might imagine

From the 1961 Singles Battle.....
Post by DianeE
13 Eddie Hodges - I'm Gonna Knock On Your Door - Cadence 1397
16 The Jarmels - Little Lonely One -Laurie 3085
The Jarmels knock Hodges out of the door to make Round 2
WINNER : JARMELS

2020-07-27 21:47:37 UTC
You need one more
I'm Gonna Knock On Your Door - Eddie Hodges
http://youtu.be/QRIhld4O68c
Ah shit, I forgot to check and it was in a Battle. I'll get another.
Great Jumpin' Catfish - Wanderers

DianeE
2020-07-27 23:07:33 UTC
Great Jumpin' Catfish - Wanderers
http://youtu.be/uslSf7mUjfY
-----------
Good choice!
Roger Ford
2020-07-28 08:16:53 UTC
You need one more
I'm Gonna Knock On Your Door - Eddie Hodges
http://youtu.be/QRIhld4O68c
Ah shit, I forgot to check and it was in a Battle. I'll get another.
Always hated this song even in the 1959 original version by a much
better act

2020-07-28 12:12:52 UTC
http://youtu.be/A-yan3yne9E
-----------
You're right, that's pretty awful.
Bill B
2020-07-27 21:01:56 UTC
A one off for me. I found four possibles I had saved and I think my psyche has had sufficient time to recover, so back to the wars one more time.
Forgot the names:

Be Ever Wonderful - Nolan Strong & the Velvet Angels
Post by Bill B
http://youtu.be/ygjHvGwUPmg
Send me Flowers - Six Teens
Post by Bill B
http://youtu.be/22u6KhW6Lyw
Gonna Catch You Nappin' - Avons
Post by Bill B
http://youtu.be/miokLyfqe9g
Wow! Baby-- Ellis Brothers
http://youtu.be/mkBRa8hF6sg
DianeE
2020-07-27 21:38:45 UTC
A one off for me. I found four possibles I had saved and I think my psyche has had sufficient time to recover, so back to the wars one more time.
Be Ever Wonderful - Nolan Strong & the Velvet Angels
Post by Bill B
http://youtu.be/ygjHvGwUPmg
Send me Flowers - Six Teens
Post by Bill B
http://youtu.be/22u6KhW6Lyw
Gonna Catch You Nappin' - Avons
Post by Bill B
http://youtu.be/miokLyfqe9g
Wow! Baby-- Ellis Brothers
Post by Bill B
http://youtu.be/mkBRa8hF6sg
----------
These all look kosher. The name Ellis Brothers looked familiar, guess
it must be the other side of that "Sneaky Alligator" record you
nominated a while back?
Roger Ford
2020-07-28 05:49:33 UTC
A one off for me. I found four possibles I had saved and I think my psyche has had sufficient time to recover, so back to the wars one more time.
Be Ever Wonderful - Nolan Strong & the Velvet Angels
Post by Bill B
http://youtu.be/ygjHvGwUPmg
Send me Flowers - Six Teens
Post by Bill B
http://youtu.be/22u6KhW6Lyw
Gonna Catch You Nappin' - Avons
Post by Bill B
http://youtu.be/miokLyfqe9g
Wow! Baby-- Ellis Brothers
Post by Bill B
http://youtu.be/mkBRa8hF6sg
----------
These all look kosher. The name Ellis Brothers looked familiar, guess
it must be the other side of that "Sneaky Alligator" record you
nominated a while back?
Yep it is that flip side

2020-07-28 13:37:40 UTC
Let's see if these work:

Teen Town Hop - The Philharmonics

How Much I Owe - The Radio Four

Gas Happy Mama - The Royals

Red Head 'n' Cadillac - Eddie Williams and his Brown Buddies w/Floyd
Dixon

Gaines Boogie - Freddie Strong with Fats Gaines

DianeE
2020-07-28 18:37:07 UTC
Teen Town Hop - The Philharmonics
http://youtu.be/klRWJqjGrvo
How Much I Owe - The Radio Four
http://youtu.be/Mb3SLhND96Q
Gas Happy Mama - The Royals
http://youtu.be/Ldhsu5H44Gg
Red Head 'n' Cadillac - Eddie Williams and his Brown Buddies w/Floyd
Dixon
http://youtu.be/uCvUnV9CDeQ
Gaines Boogie - Freddie Strong with Fats Gaines
http://youtu.be/UNOkU1MD_g4
-----------
They all seem to check out. Weren't the Radio Four the group who did
the original version of "Operator?"
Roger Ford
2020-07-28 19:08:20 UTC
Teen Town Hop - The Philharmonics
http://youtu.be/klRWJqjGrvo
How Much I Owe - The Radio Four
http://youtu.be/Mb3SLhND96Q
Gas Happy Mama - The Royals
http://youtu.be/Ldhsu5H44Gg
Red Head 'n' Cadillac - Eddie Williams and his Brown Buddies w/Floyd
Dixon
http://youtu.be/uCvUnV9CDeQ
Gaines Boogie - Freddie Strong with Fats Gaines
http://youtu.be/UNOkU1MD_g4
-----------
They all seem to check out. Weren't the Radio Four the group who did
the original version of "Operator?"
If you mean the Manhattan Transfer song that original version was by
The Friendly Brothers on Vee Jay in 1959

The Radio Four did feature in the 1954 Battle with their "Whatcha
Gonna Do" which doesn't seem to be on YT anymore (leastways not from
where I'm standing)

2020-07-28 23:41:16 UTC
Teen Town Hop - The Philharmonics
http://youtu.be/klRWJqjGrvo
How Much I Owe - The Radio Four
http://youtu.be/Mb3SLhND96Q
Gas Happy Mama - The Royals
http://youtu.be/Ldhsu5H44Gg
Red Head 'n' Cadillac - Eddie Williams and his Brown Buddies w/Floyd
Dixon
http://youtu.be/uCvUnV9CDeQ
Gaines Boogie - Freddie Strong with Fats Gaines
http://youtu.be/UNOkU1MD_g4
-----------
They all seem to check out. Weren't the Radio Four the group who did
the original version of "Operator?"
I don't know the answer but they were a gospel group and I can't match
them to that title.
Steve Mc
2020-07-28 20:24:38 UTC
Look Out Baby - Don Feger (1958)

You Better Believe It - Paul Gayton (1956)

Arthur Gunter - Hear My Plea Baby (1956)

A Jumpin and A shufflin - Joe Hill lewis

Magic Sam - My Love Is Your Love (1960)

2020-07-28 22:26:40 UTC
Post by Steve Mc
Look Out Baby - Don Feger (1958)
http://youtu.be/8cVA5f-yAE8
You Better Believe It - Paul Gayton (1956)
http://youtu.be/J1HwVf8XQJk
Arthur Gunter - Hear My Plea Baby (1956)
http://youtu.be/G_d6ank87IY
A Jumpin and A shufflin - Joe Hill lewis
http://youtu.be/zLnHQ4_gR8k
Magic Sam - My Love Is Your Love (1960)
http://youtu.be/-pUKAwv6kg0
-----------
They all seem okay.
I have a Magic Sam nominee this month too. It's no weirder than 2 Joe
Texes and 2 Tiny Topsys, I guess.
Bill B
How about two "Jumpin"s (Steve and me)?
Steve Mc
2020-07-28 22:50:32 UTC
Pink And Black - Sonny Fisher
http://youtu.be/JAwBBTGnRx4
Damm, I had this as one of mine for a future contest.

2020-07-30 02:00:04 UTC
Somebody please do me a favor and double-check these?

Easy Baby - Magic Sam

Skippy Is A Sissy - Roy Gaines

You've Been Mistreating Me - Big Bill Broonzy

Hole In The Ground - Freddie Kohlman Orch.-Cousin Joe vocals

I'm A Lonely Man - Little Milton

Rick Schubert
2020-07-30 23:48:56 UTC
Somebody please do me a favor and double-check these?
Easy Baby - Magic Sam
http://youtu.be/BUg-9BXapKc
Skippy Is A Sissy - Roy Gaines
http://youtu.be/RKDN0f4ytds
You've Been Mistreating Me - Big Bill Broonzy
http://youtu.be/uEOD4PYo8Os
Hole In The Ground - Freddie Kohlman Orch.-Cousin Joe vocals
http://youtu.be/xuwky_Gikgk
I'm A Lonely Man - Little Milton
http://youtu.be/NLsuuwqnXMk
They all check out for me.

Please check mine:

Since I Fell For You - Buckeyes - Deluxe 6110 - 1957

Your Sweet Love - Kings - RCA 47-7544 - 1959

The Fine One - Five Hearts - Flair 1026 - 1954

Baby, Don't Put Me Down - Sultans - Duke 133 - 1954

California - Five Chances - Atomic 2495 - 1954

DianeE
2020-07-31 14:34:48 UTC
Post by Rick Schubert
Post by DianeE
Somebody please do me a favor and double-check these?
Easy Baby - Magic Sam
http://youtu.be/BUg-9BXapKc
Skippy Is A Sissy - Roy Gaines
http://youtu.be/RKDN0f4ytds
You've Been Mistreating Me - Big Bill Broonzy
http://youtu.be/uEOD4PYo8Os
Hole In The Ground - Freddie Kohlman Orch.-Cousin Joe vocals
http://youtu.be/xuwky_Gikgk
I'm A Lonely Man - Little Milton
http://youtu.be/NLsuuwqnXMk
They all check out for me.
Since I Fell For You - Buckeyes - Deluxe 6110 - 1957
http://youtu.be/zcjUjTZkmaI
Your Sweet Love - Kings - RCA 47-7544 - 1959
http://youtu.be/y2s7o-9W5fE
The Fine One - Five Hearts - Flair 1026 - 1954
http://youtu.be/u1-B8Xgsdis
Baby, Don't Put Me Down - Sultans - Duke 133 - 1954
http://youtu.be/ni4diJ-1-Aw
California - Five Chances - Atomic 2495 - 1954
http://youtu.be/urcQ2EzthfA
I'm checking all of these against your list! So they're all okay far as
I can tell.