Obscure 1950s Era Recordings - April 2021 Preliminary Round - Group 1
2021-04-02 10:23:12 UTC
Fri. April 2 2921
Sav...@aol.com
2021-04-02 13:20:20 UTC

Dearest Darling - Bo Diddley

The Rains Came - Big Sambo & The House Wreckers

My Girl Friend - Cadillacs

Darling Honey Angel Child - Earl King

Death Comes Knocking - National Harmonizers

Sav...@aol.com
2021-04-02 13:21:07 UTC

1. Darling Honey Angel Child - Earl King
2. My Girl Friend - Cadillacs
3. Dearest Darling - Bo Diddley
4. The Rains Came - Big Sambo & The House Wreckers
5. Death Comes Knocking - National Harmonizers
Steve Mc
2021-04-02 13:45:57 UTC
1. Darling Honey Angel Child - Earl King

2. Dearest Darling - Bo Diddley

3. The Rains Came - Big Sambo & The House Wreckers

4. My Girl Friend - Cadillacs

5. Death Comes Knocking - National Harmonizers

2021-04-02 14:01:59 UTC
1. Darling Honey Angel Child - Earl King

2. Dearest Darling - Bo Diddley

3. Death Comes Knocking - National Harmonizers

Ok, no more acapella nominations from me.
md
2021-04-02 14:24:11 UTC
1. Darling Honey Angel Child - Earl King
2. Dearest Darling - Bo Diddley
3. Death Comes Knocking - National Harmonizers
4.The Rains Came - Big Sambo & The House Wreckers
4. My Girl Friend - Cadillacs
Ok, no more acapella nominations from me.
The title was a little off-putting, and the sound quality was poor, but I was
glad to have heard it. The competition was tough here. I might put any one of
other four at the top of the list against different competition.

2021-04-02 16:13:22 UTC
Post by md
Post by ***@aol.com
1. Darling Honey Angel Child - Earl King
2. Dearest Darling - Bo Diddley
3. Death Comes Knocking - National Harmonizers
4.The Rains Came - Big Sambo & The House Wreckers
4. My Girl Friend - Cadillacs
Ok, no more acapella nominations from me.
The title was a little off-putting, and the sound quality was poor, but I was
glad to have heard it. The competition was tough here. I might put any one of
other four at the top of the list against different competition.
Very tough competition. One of the more interesting aspects of
"obscure records" was the exposure to records we might not have heard
before. At least it has always been for me.

The song is a re-write of the gospel song "Traveling Shoes."
And as for sound quality it was a Fortune session. I have heard few
Fortune sessions that sound "great" including most all the very
popular Diablos records that get nominated here. FWIW I love the
Diablos.
Sav...@aol.com
Yes, that's one of the main purposes of the tournaments. Once we get past the fluke big hits that are now eligible there will be lots of lesser known nominations again.
Sav...@aol.com
2021-04-02 16:27:39 UTC

1. Darling Honey Angel Child - Earl King - 34
2. Dearest Darling - Bo Diddley - 31
3. My Girl Friend - Cadillacs - 28
4. The Rains Came - Big Sambo & The House Wreckers - 24

5. Death Comes Knocking - National Harmonizers - 18

Roger's Earl King wins the group. Mark's Bo takes second and Rick's Caddys finish third. Carl/s Big Sambo takes 4th and also moves on. Death knocked and entered for Jim's NHers.
RWC
2021-04-03 03:02:09 UTC
4. The Rains Came - Big Sambo & The House Wreckers - 24
I've just played this set (in 4K...) and fwiw (little no doubt :-)
for me "The Rains Came" is the clear (and long time) favorite.
"Rains" and "Dearest" score 5+.
Jim Colegrove

5. My Girl Friend - Cadillacs
Rick Schubert
2021-04-03 00:15:20 UTC
Ok, no more acapella nominations from me.
Too bad. I really liked it. Thanks for the opportunity to hear it.
Jim Colegrove
2021-04-03 14:33:35 UTC
Post by Rick Schubert
Post by Jim Colegrove
Ok, no more acapella nominations from me.
Too bad. I really liked it. Thanks for the opportunity to hear it.
It reminded me of Joseph Shabalala and Ladyship Black Mambazo.

Roger Ford
2021-04-02 13:27:56 UTC
Darling Honey Angel Child - Earl King - 8
The Rains Came - Big Sambo & The House Wreckers - 8
My Girl Friend - Cadillacs - 7
Dearest Darling - Bo Diddley - 7
Death Comes Knocking - National Harmonizers - 6

2021-04-02 13:35:36 UTC
Dearest Darling - Bo Diddley
http://youtu.be/svdFiJ21D68
From 1958 this was the flip of "Hush Your Mouth" on Checker and along
with that number this one also featured on Bo's fabulous debut album.
Post by ***@aol.com
The Rains Came - Big Sambo & The House Wreckers
http://youtu.be/SpsCnIe7eJs
One of the highspots of 1962 was the hypnotic "Pledging My Love"-like
"The Rains Came" by Big Sambo (later copies credit the more
politically correct "Big Sam) & The House Wreckers on the Texas label
Eric. The flipside "At The Party" was none too shabby either.

And of course "The Rains Came" became more famous still a little later
on when the Sir Douglas Quintet added to their repertoire and released
their version
Post by ***@aol.com
My Girl Friend - Cadillacs
http://youtu.be/ZnaTWXFJFT0
"MY GIRL FRIEND" (1:55)
[Benell BMI-Powell, Navarro]
"BROKEN HEART" (2:46)
[Benell BMI-Powell, Navarro]
THE CADILLACS (Josie 820)

The Cadillacs rock out what could be their strongest release yet in a
quick beat racer titled, "My Girl Friend". The deck takes off from the
opening note, grabs your attention immediately and keeps a headlock on
it until they sign off one minute fifty-five seconds later. An
effervescent, bubbly tune-it is given a standout treatment by The
Cadillacs complete with all their interjected Cadillacisms. This deck
looks like a big summer hit. The coupling, "Broken Heart", is a
straightaway treatment of a lovely, slow beat ballad. Delightfully and
tenderly done. Pleasing and relaxing listening-but for the sales
action we look to "My Girl Friend".(CASH BOX review June 8 1957)
Post by ***@aol.com
Darling Honey Angel Child - Earl King
http://youtu.be/HwqTJb81c0w
Members with good memories will recall Earl King's "Come On" from 1960
being in the October 2019 edition of the Obscurities Tournament. It
was a favorite with many and I wrote then that there was an even
better original that "Come On" was based on "Darling Honey Angel
Child" (that did feature in the 1960 Battle) that was recorded earlier
for Ace but stayed unissued until their subsid Rex label issued it
AFTER "Come On" started getting airplay. And here 'tis!
Post by ***@aol.com
Death Comes Knocking - National Harmonizers
http://youtu.be/AFyVtX_MgiE
1954 accapella gospel from Jack & Devora's Fortune label in Detroit
Personnel : 1st Tenor, James Williams; 2nd Tenor, Samuel Scott;
Baritone, Elle Canada; Bass, B. J. Hardy -

2021-04-02 13:42:30 UTC
"MY GIRL FRIEND" (1:55)
[Benell BMI-Powell, Navarro]
"BROKEN HEART" (2:46)
[Benell BMI-Powell, Navarro]
THE CADILLACS (Josie 820)
The Cadillacs rock out what could be their strongest release yet in a
quick beat racer titled, "My Girl Friend". The deck takes off from the
opening note, grabs your attention immediately and keeps a headlock on
it until they sign off one minute fifty-five seconds later. An
effervescent, bubbly tune-it is given a standout treatment by The
Cadillacs complete with all their interjected Cadillacisms. This deck
looks like a big summer hit. The coupling, "Broken Heart", is a
straightaway treatment of a lovely, slow beat ballad. Delightfully and
tenderly done. Pleasing and relaxing listening-but for the sales
action we look to "My Girl Friend".(CASH BOX review June 8 1957)
I sent this to Samp with the subject line saying "HERE'S a review"

Think he'll get the message?
md
2021-04-02 14:25:50 UTC
[...]
You'll never know. :)

2021-04-02 13:57:44 UTC
What are "traveling shoes?" They get mentioned over and over again in
this gospel record, and are mentioned in many other blues and gospel
records, and it never hit me before--what *are* they? (Nowadays to most
women "traveling shoes" means slip-in mules you can easily take off and
put on at the airport, but there was no TSA screening back when these
songs were recorded.)

1-My Girl Friend - Cadillacs
2-Darling Honey Angel Child - Earl King
3-Dearest Darling - Bo Diddley
4-Death Comes Knocking - National Harmonizers
5-The Rains Came - Big Sambo & The House Wreckers.
md
2021-04-02 14:45:24 UTC
What are "traveling shoes?" They get mentioned over and over again in
this gospel record, and are mentioned in many other blues and gospel
records, and it never hit me before--what *are* they? (Nowadays to most
women "traveling shoes" means slip-in mules you can easily take off and
put on at the airport, but there was no TSA screening back when these
songs were recorded.)
The origin seems to be rooted in Deep South black culture. My guess is tha
going barefooted was often the norm, that if you were lucky you had a pair o
work shoes to wear out into the fields, that you possibly had a pair of shoe
you saved to wear to church, and then you had a sturdy pair of shoes to wal
long distances. Obviously, putting on your traveling' shoes easily became
metaphor for leaving your current situation (poverty, marriage
cotton-pickin', sinfulness, whatever) or just hitting the road to hav
adventures and try your luck, and that's what it means in countless blues an
gospel songs. My guess is the expression might even go back as far as slavery
when putting on your traveling' shoes might have been a metaphor fo
attempting to escape. I tried Googling it, but all I found were son
references and no lexicography.

2021-04-02 17:23:46 UTC
What are "traveling shoes?" They get mentioned over and over again in
this gospel record, and are mentioned in many other blues and gospel
records, and it never hit me before--what *are* they? (Nowadays to most
women "traveling shoes" means slip-in mules you can easily take off and
put on at the airport, but there was no TSA screening back when these
songs were recorded.)
The origin seems to be rooted in Deep South black culture. My guess is that
going barefooted was often the norm, that if you were lucky you had a pair of
work shoes to wear out into the fields, that you possibly had a pair of shoes
you saved to wear to church, and then you had a sturdy pair of shoes to walk
long distances. Obviously, putting on your traveling' shoes easily became a
metaphor for leaving your current situation (poverty, marriage,
cotton-pickin', sinfulness, whatever) or just hitting the road to have
adventures and try your luck, and that's what it means in countless blues and
gospel songs. My guess is the expression might even go back as far as slavery,
when putting on your traveling' shoes might have been a metaphor for
attempting to escape. I tried Googling it, but all I found were song
references and no lexicography.
--------------
Likewise. But your explanation makes sense. LOL it didn't even occur
to me that "traveling" could involve walking! I'm so 21st century!
Rick Schubert
2021-04-02 14:27:56 UTC
1. My Girl Friend - Cadillacs
2. Death Comes Knocking - National Harmonizers
3. Darling Honey Angel Child - Earl King
4. The Rains Came - Big Sambo & The House Wreckers
5. Dearest Darling - Bo Diddley
Carl
2021-04-02 14:47:07 UTC
Looks like I need to check in an hour earlier. Forgot you all went on daylight savings time.

1. The Rains Came - Big Sambo & The House Wreckers
2. Dearest Darling - Bo Diddley
3. My Girl Friend - Cadillacs
4. Death Comes Knocking - National Harmonizers
5. Darling Honey Angel Child - Earl King

'Rains' was at the top of my 1962 list the last time I updated it. Major regional hit in Phoenix the summer of my 16th year.
Dennis C from Tennessee
2021-04-02 14:56:36 UTC
1- Bo Diddley

2- Earl King