narkive is for sale. Interested? (dismiss)
Obscure 1950s Era Recordings - August - Preliminary Round - Group 5
2020-08-06 12:52:41 UTC

Getting Dizzy - Elegants

Hole In The Ground - Freddie Kohlman Orch. (Cousin Joe)

Look Out Baby - Don Feger

Red Head 'n' Cadillac - Eddie Williams and his Brown Buddies w/Floyd Dixon

Wow! Baby-- Ellis Brothers

SavoyBG
2020-08-06 12:53:14 UTC

1. Hole In The Ground - Freddie Kohlman Orch. (Cousin Joe)
2. Look Out Baby - Don Feger
3. Red Head 'n' Cadillac - Eddie Williams and his Brown Buddies w/Floyd Dixon
4. Getting Dizzy - Elegants
5. Wow! Baby-- Ellis Brothers
Steve Mc

2020-08-06 13:27:44 UTC
Hole In The Ground - Freddie Kohlman Orch. (Cousin Joe) - 8
Red Head 'n' Cadillac - Eddie Williams and his Brown Buddies w/Floyd
Dixon - 8
Look Out Baby - Don Feger - 7
Getting Dizzy - Elegants - 6
Wow! Baby-- Ellis Brothers - 5

2020-08-06 13:34:34 UTC
1-Hole In The Ground - Freddie Kohlman Orch. (Cousin Joe)
.
.
.
2-Red Head 'n' Cadillac - Eddie Williams and his Brown Buddies w/Floyd Dixon
3-Getting Dizzy - Elegants
4-Look Out Baby - Don Feger
.
.
.
.
.
5-Wow! Baby-- Ellis Brothers. Bill, are you related to these guys or
something?
Bill B
2020-08-06 14:01:34 UTC
.
Don't think so. I just like their sound.
SavoyBG
2020-08-06 14:46:24 UTC
.
Too bad, I was hoping for your sake that it was ANYTHING other then you actually liked this record.
Dennis C
2020-08-06 15:54:54 UTC
I was hunting for a soundtrack to the Covid Summer!!

Thanks, Billy!!!
Roger Ford
2020-08-06 13:44:58 UTC
Getting Dizzy - Elegants
http://youtu.be/klnF-CsADD8
The flipside of their 1958 #1 smash "Little Star" on Apt label of
course. I always liked the topside a lot but this one doesn't do that
much for me I'm afraid.
Post by SavoyBG
Hole In The Ground - Freddie Kohlman Orch. (Cousin Joe)
http://youtu.be/xuwky_Gikgk
"Cousin Joe" was one Joseph Pleasance who in a long career was also
known--among other names---as "Smilin' Joe" during his slightly later
stint with Imperial Records where he worked with Dave Bartholomew &
His Band and released numbers like his famous "ABC's".

The excellent r&b jumper nomination here is from a year earlier-1953
to be exact with Joe fronting the Freddie Kohlman Band and released
on Jubilee

Incidentally it's the record on the label immediately following The
Orioles' "Crying In The Chapel" hit!
Post by SavoyBG
Look Out Baby - Don Feger
http://youtu.be/8cVA5f-yAE8
"Rockabilly blues is given a nice shout by the artist with sprightly
ork and chorus backing. Side can move with a shove" (Billboard review
Ebony 103 8 December 1958)
Post by SavoyBG
Red Head 'n' Cadillac - Eddie Williams and his Brown Buddies w/Floyd Dixon
http://youtu.be/uCvUnV9CDeQ
WOW!! Yep REALLY like this one recorded in 1947 but not released until
September 1949 on the Supreme label. Featuring Mitchell Webb (gtr)
Ellis Walsh (dms) Eddie Williams (bass) and Floyd Dixon doing a
terrific wise guy jive talking monologue this is just wonderful
stuff!!
Post by SavoyBG
Wow! Baby-- Ellis Brothers
http://youtu.be/mkBRa8hF6sg
Another flipside---this time of the 1958 "Sneaky Alligator" release on
ABC-Paramount that appeared in this contest series a while back.
Pretty dull and very repetitive...repetetive...repetetive.......

2020-08-06 14:01:19 UTC
1 Getting Dizzy - Elegants
Post by SavoyBG
http://youtu.be/klnF-CsADD8
2 Wow! Baby-- Ellis Brothers
Post by SavoyBG
http://youtu.be/mkBRa8hF6sg
3 Red Head 'n' Cadillac - Eddie Williams and his Brown Buddies w/Floyd Dixon> http://youtu.be/uCvUnV9CDeQ
4 Hole In The Ground - Freddie Kohlman Orch. (Cousin Joe)
Post by SavoyBG
http://youtu.be/xuwky_Gikgk
5 Look Out Baby - Don Feger
http://youtu.be/8cVA5f-yAE8
Mark Dintenfass
2020-08-06 14:45:54 UTC
1. Hole In The Ground - Freddie Kohlman Orch. (Cousin Joe)

2. Red Head 'n' Cadillac - Eddie Williams and his Brown Buddies
w/Floyd Dixon

3. Look Out Baby - Don Feger

4. Getting Dizzy - Elegants

5. Wow! Baby-- Ellis Brothers
Carl
2020-08-06 15:19:11 UTC
1. Hole In The Ground - Freddie Kohlman Orch. (Cousin Joe)
2. Look Out Baby - Don Feger
3. Wow Baby - Ellis Brothers
4. Getting Dizzy - Elegants
5. Red Head 'n' Cadillac - Eddie Williams and his Brown Buddies w/Floyd Dixon
Rick Schubert
2020-08-06 15:29:50 UTC
1. Getting Dizzy - Elegants
2. Wow! Baby-- Ellis Brothers
3. Look Out Baby - Don Feger
SavoyBG
2020-08-06 15:52:52 UTC

1. Hole In The Ground - Freddie Kohlman Orch. (Cousin Joe) - 38
2. Look Out Baby - Don Feger - 27 (5-4)
3. Getting Dizzy - Elegants - 27
4. Red Head 'n' Cadillac - Eddie Williams and Brown Buddies w/Floyd Dixon - 26

5. Wow! Baby-- Ellis Brothers - 17

Diane's Hole wins the group. Steve's Feger edges Mark's Gants in a tie breaker for second. Jim's Eddie Williams is right behind in 4th place. Bill's Ellis Brothers, all I can say is, WOW!
DianeE
2020-08-06 17:25:59 UTC
Diane's Hole wins the group.
---------
DELETE THAT POST. NOW.
Dennis C
2020-08-06 17:54:39 UTC
Diane don't dig that!!

She ain't no post hole digger, baby!!!
Steve Mc
2020-08-06 18:17:30 UTC
Diane's Hole wins the group.
---------
DELETE THAT POST.  NOW.
LOFL !!!

Diane's Cousin wins the group. Steve's Feger edges Mark's Gants in a tie breaker for second. Jim's Eddie Williams is right behind in 4th place. Bill's Ellis Brothers, all I can say is, WOW!
Bill B
2020-08-06 19:22:38 UTC
Dig a hole for yourself, Bruce?
RWC
2020-08-07 01:13:47 UTC
Post by Steve Mc
Diane's Hole wins the group.
---------
DELETE THAT POST.  NOW.
LOFL !!!
I/we have now learnt something about you Steve :)
RWC
2020-08-07 01:30:25 UTC
On Fri, 07 Aug 2020 11:13:47 +1000, RWC <***@opbox.com> wrote:

I/we have now learnt something about you Steve :)

sorry, better worded,

I/we have now learnt something *new* about you Steve :)