o%=*NEW THIS WEEK*=%o
2006-06-25 08:46:39 UTC
Continuing our regular weekly look at some of the more memorable and
not quite so memorable records reviewed as NEW RELEASES by "Billboard"
this week in......

1953 (Jun 27)

Timmie Rogers - Oh Yeah! (Capitol 2509)
Johnny Ace - The Clock (Duke 112)
The Crows - Gee (Rama 5)
The Orioles - I Cover The Waterfront (Jubilee 5120)
The Embers - Paradise Hill (Herald 410)
Dessa Ray - Ain't Gonna Tell (7-11 2103)

1954 (Jun 26)

Rosemary Clooney - Hey There (Columbia 40266)
The Western Melody Makers - Who Put The Turtle In Myrtle's Girdle
The Velvets - I Cried (Red Robin 127) (Starday 147)
Papa Lightfoot - Wine,Women Whiskey (Imperial 5289)
Otis Hinton - Walkin' Down Hill (Timely 1003)
Junior Wells - Lawdy! Lawdy! (States 139)

1955 (Jun 25)

Snooky Lanson - Why Don't You Write Me (Dot 15385)
Louis Brooks & His Hi-Toppers - It's Love Baby (24 Hours A Day )
The Laurels - Truly Truly ("X" 0143) (Excello 2056)
The Diablos - Daddy Rocking Strong (Fortune 516)
The Jaguars - Rock It,Davy Rock It (Aardell 0003)
The Tenderfoots - Those Golden Bells (Federal 12225)

1956 (Jun 30)

Otto Bash - Elvis Blues (RCA 6585)
Buck Griffin - Stutterin' Papa (MGM 12284)
Brad Suggs - Bop Baby Bop (Meteor 5034)
The Rockers - Down In The Bottom (Federal 12273)
The Tears - Until The Day I Die (Dig 112)
The Soul Stirrers - Touch The Hem Of His Garment (Specialty 896)

1957 (Jul 1)

Chuck Berry - Oh Baby Doll (Chess 1664)
Joe Bennett & The Sparkletones - Black Slacks (ABC-Paramount 9837)
Lee Andrews & The Hearts - Long Lonely Nights (Chess 1665)
Billy Barrix - Cool Off Baby (Chess 1662)
The Cellos - The Juicy Crocodile (Apollo 515)
Big "T" Tyler - King Kong (Aladdin 3384)

1958 (Jun 30)

Connie Francis - Stupid Cupid (MGM 12683)
The Johnny Otis Show - Willie & The Hand Jive (Capitol 3966)
Henry Houston & The Cufflinx - Lawful Wedding (Dooto 438)
The Ivy Tones - Each Time (Red Top 105)
Baby Calloway - Midnight Blues (Baytone 100)
Andre Williams - Hey Country Girl (Fortune 842)

1959 (Jun 29)

Elvis Presley - A Big Hunk O' Love (RCA 7600)
Brook Benton - Thank You Pretty Baby (Mercury 71478)
Sarah Vaughan - Broken Hearted Melody (Mercury 71477)
The Delicates - Black & White Thunderbird (Unart 2017)
Oscar Boyd & The Calvaes - So Bad (Checker 928)
The Premiers - I Think I Love You (Mink 021)

1960 (Jun 27)

Chubby Checker - The Twist (Parkway 811)
Cowboy Copas - Alabam (Starday 501)
Mark II - Night Theme (Wye 1001)
Little Walter - My Babe (Checker 955)
The Fairlanes - Little Girl,Little Girl (Argo 5357)
Lawrence Shaul - Tutti Frutti (Reed 1049)

1961 (Jun 26)

Bobby Rydell - The Fish (Cameo 192)
Damita Jo - I'll Be There (Mercury 71840)
The Rays - Magic Moon (XYZ 607)
The Edsels - Bone Shaker Joe (Capitol 4588)
Billy Joe Tucker - Boogie Woogie Bill (Dot 16240)
The Five Stars - Baby,Baby (Columbia 42056)

1962 (Jun 30)

Brenda Lee - Heart In Hand (Decca 31407)
Dion - Little Diane (Laurie 3134)
The Drifters - Sometimes I Wonder (Atlantic 2151)
The Kalin Twins - A Picture Of You (Decca 31410)
John D. Loudermilk - Callin' Dr Casey (RCA 8054)
Dave "Baby" Cortez - Rinky Dink (Chess 1829)

1963 (Jun 29)

George Jones & Melba Montgomery - We Must Have Been Out Of Our Minds
The Ran-Dells -Martian Hop (Chairman 4403) (United Artists 575)
The Rip Chords - Gone (Columbia 42812)
Darlene Love - Wait Till My Bobby Gets Home (Philles 114)
Chris Kenner - Land Of A Thousand Dances (Instant 3252)
The High Keyes - Que Sera Sera (Atco 6268)

Yes,I know some sides as listed may not be the "top sides" as we know
them but they are the sides BB chose to review.

Some of the more interesting and some of the more unfamiliar records
from this weeks list will shortly appear as mp3s in the alt.binaries.
rock-n-roll group (see seperate post for details)

This week's teasers in 9 parts :-

a) Who had the original versions on these?

1. The Orioles - I Cover The Waterfront (Jubilee 5120)
2. Rosemary Clooney - Hey There (Columbia 40266)
3. Snooky Lanson - Why Don't You Write Me (Dot 15385)
4. Chubby Checker - The Twist (Parkway 811)
5. Lawrence Shaul - Tutti Frutti (Reed 1049)
6. The Kalin Twins - A Picture Of You (Decca 31410)
7. The High Keyes - Que Sera Sera (Atco 6268)

b)
The Crows - Gee (Rama 5)
The equally good flipsisde on this "I Love You So" was remade in a
memorable version by a top notch girl group. Who were they?

c)
Rosemary Clooney - Hey There (Columbia 40266)
Which famous Broadway show of the time did "Hey There" come from?

d)
The Western Melody Makers - Who Put The Turtle In Myrtle's Girdle
With a change of name these guys went on to release a whole slew of
country rock and RAB records on Columbia.Under what name were they
better known on that label?

e)
The Soul Stirrers - Touch The Hem Of His Garment (Specialty 896)
Who is the famous lead singer of the group on this record?

f)
Chuck Berry - Oh Baby Doll (Chess 1664)
Which 50's rock & roll movie features Chuck performing this number?

g)
Connie Francis - Stupid Cupid (MGM 12683)
Which famous pop singer wrote "Stupid Cupid"?

h)
Damita Jo - I'll Be There (Mercury 71840)
This Damita Jo song was an answer record to which famous hit?

i)
The Rays - Magic Moon (XYZ 607)
This is an adaptation of which famous classical piece? And who wrote
said classical piece?

So Norm how many original (oh dear there's *that* word again! The word
thats causing so much controversey on here right now :) copies of the
Billy Barrix 45 on Chess have you ever had in your life?

I bet the answer is the same as mine! :)

(For anyone who does'nt know "Cool Off Baby" from Billy Barrix on
Chess is the Holy Grail of rockabilly records----almost impossible to
locate on a real true honest to God original (sorry!) 45RPM single.
And just about the rarest rockabilly single there is)

OK over to you Norm for further comment on the elusive Mr Barrix and
the other records listed here this week!

an extra "b" in my e-mail address (***@bblueyonder.co.uk).

"Football's coming home...."

ENGLAND FOR CHAMPIONS - WORLD CUP - GERMANY 2006
x***@earthlink.net
2006-06-25 09:38:25 UTC
<snip>
Post by Roger Ford
This week's teasers in 9 parts :-
a) Who had the original versions on these?
1. The Orioles - I Cover The Waterfront (Jubilee 5120)
2. Rosemary Clooney - Hey There (Columbia 40266)
3. Snooky Lanson - Why Don't You Write Me (Dot 15385)
4. Chubby Checker - The Twist (Parkway 811)
Hank Ballard and the Midnighters
Post by Roger Ford
5. Lawrence Shaul - Tutti Frutti (Reed 1049)
Little Richard
Post by Roger Ford
6. The Kalin Twins - A Picture Of You (Decca 31410)
7. The High Keyes - Que Sera Sera (Atco 6268)
Doris Day
Post by Roger Ford
b)
Post by Roger Ford
The Crows - Gee (Rama 5)
The equally good flipsisde on this "I Love You So" was remade in a
memorable version by a top notch girl group. Who were they?
The Chantels
Post by Roger Ford
c)
Post by Roger Ford
Rosemary Clooney - Hey There (Columbia 40266)
Which famous Broadway show of the time did "Hey There" come from?
Pajama Game
Post by Roger Ford
d)
Post by Roger Ford
The Soul Stirrers - Touch The Hem Of His Garment (Specialty 896)
Who is the famous lead singer of the group on this record?
Sam Cooke
Post by Roger Ford
f)
Post by Roger Ford
Chuck Berry - Oh Baby Doll (Chess 1664)
Which 50's rock & roll movie features Chuck performing this number?
Go, Johnny, Go
Post by Roger Ford
g)
Post by Roger Ford
Connie Francis - Stupid Cupid (MGM 12683)
Which famous pop singer wrote "Stupid Cupid"?
Neil Sedaka
Post by Roger Ford
h)
Post by Roger Ford
Damita Jo - I'll Be There (Mercury 71840)
This Damita Jo song was an answer record to which famous hit?
Save the Last Dance For Me - The Drifters
Post by Roger Ford
i)
Post by Roger Ford
The Rays - Magic Moon (XYZ 607)
said classical piece?
Roger Ford
2006-06-25 14:16:00 UTC
Post by x***@earthlink.net
<snip>
Post by Roger Ford
This week's teasers in 9 parts :-
I see there is a lot to respond to in various threads and its a real
bad day today---I'm working my back backwards thru the threads but
England play very shortly and naturally that takes the most serious
precedence today over ANYTHING. I will get to all the responses tho :)
Post by x***@earthlink.net
Post by Roger Ford
a) Who had the original versions on these?
4. Chubby Checker - The Twist (Parkway 811)
Hank Ballard and the Midnighters
And one of the closest-to-the-original cover versions ever made IMO
Post by x***@earthlink.net
Post by Roger Ford
5. Lawrence Shaul - Tutti Frutti (Reed 1049)
Little Richard
I knew this was too easy! :)
Post by x***@earthlink.net
Post by Roger Ford
7. The High Keyes - Que Sera Sera (Atco 6268)
Doris Day
As "Whateverr Will Be,Will Be"
Post by x***@earthlink.net
Post by Roger Ford
b)
Post by Roger Ford
The Crows - Gee (Rama 5)
The equally good flipsisde on this "I Love You So" was remade in a
memorable version by a top notch girl group. Who were they?
The Chantels
And a great version by them too!
Post by x***@earthlink.net
Post by Roger Ford
c)
Post by Roger Ford
Rosemary Clooney - Hey There (Columbia 40266)
Which famous Broadway show of the time did "Hey There" come from?
Pajama Game
Which also gave us "Hernando's Hideaway","Steam Heat" and several
others
Post by x***@earthlink.net
Post by Roger Ford
e)
Post by Roger Ford
The Soul Stirrers - Touch The Hem Of His Garment (Specialty 896)
Who is the famous lead singer of the group on this record?
Sam Cooke
Right and he is superb here on one of my favorite ever gospel numbers
Post by x***@earthlink.net
Post by Roger Ford
f)
Post by Roger Ford
Chuck Berry - Oh Baby Doll (Chess 1664)
Which 50's rock & roll movie features Chuck performing this number?
Go, Johnny, Go
No sorry. It was'nt "Go Johnny Go" but Freed WAS in both movies!
Post by x***@earthlink.net
Post by Roger Ford
g)
Post by Roger Ford
Connie Francis - Stupid Cupid (MGM 12683)
Which famous pop singer wrote "Stupid Cupid"?
Neil Sedaka
Right
Post by x***@earthlink.net
Post by Roger Ford
h)
Post by Roger Ford
Damita Jo - I'll Be There (Mercury 71840)
This Damita Jo song was an answer record to which famous hit?
Save the Last Dance For Me - The Drifters
No but she did answer that song too (as "I'll Save The Last Dance For
You")

x***@earthlink.net
2006-06-25 16:01:01 UTC
On Sun, 25 Jun 2006 14:16:00 GMT, Roger Ford
<***@bblueyonder.co.uk> wrote:

<snip>
Post by Roger Ford
Post by x***@earthlink.net
Post by Roger Ford
h)
Post by Roger Ford
Damita Jo - I'll Be There (Mercury 71840)
This Damita Jo song was an answer record to which famous hit?
Save the Last Dance For Me - The Drifters
I sort of got it partly right. Stand By Me - Ben E. King
Roger Ford
2006-06-25 17:41:04 UTC
Post by x***@earthlink.net
On Sun, 25 Jun 2006 14:16:00 GMT, Roger Ford
<snip>
Post by Roger Ford
Post by x***@earthlink.net
Post by Roger Ford
h)
Post by Roger Ford
No but she did answer that song too (as "I'll Save The Last Dance For
You")
Yes it answers "Stand By Me"

Iain Wilkie Logan
2006-06-25 10:38:12 UTC
This week's teasers in 9 parts :-
a) Who had the original versions on these?
[snip]
Post by Roger Ford
4. Chubby Checker - The Twist (Parkway 811)
Hank Ballard & The Midnighters
Post by Roger Ford
5. Lawrence Shaul - Tutti Frutti (Reed 1049)
Little Richard? (Too Easy)
Post by Roger Ford
6. The Kalin Twins - A Picture Of You (Decca 31410)
Joe Brown & The Bruvvers

Post by Roger Ford
Who is the famous lead singer of the group on this record?
Sam Cooke
Post by Roger Ford
f)
Post by Roger Ford
Chuck Berry - Oh Baby Doll (Chess 1664)
Which 50's rock & roll movie features Chuck performing this number?
Rock! Rock! Rock!
Post by Roger Ford
g)

Post by Roger Ford
ENGLAND FOR CHAMPIONS - WORLD CUP - GERMANY 2006
Good Luck!

OT: Shock! Horror! - somebody in Glasgow has been sticking 'Nae Chance' on
Mars Bars! (News of The World p9)

All the best,

Iain

Worth a visit: <http://www.freeourdata.org.uk/> 'Free Our Data Campaign'
--
Iain Logan, Langholm, Dumfriesshire
Home: <http://homepages.enterprise.net/iainlogan/>
Mail: <***@enterprise.net>
Roger Ford
2006-06-25 14:20:12 UTC
On Sun, 25 Jun 2006 11:38:12 +0100, Iain Wilkie Logan
Post by Iain Wilkie Logan
Post by Roger Ford
This week's teasers in 9 parts :-
(those already answered correctly snipped)
Post by Roger Ford
6. The Kalin Twins - A Picture Of You (Decca 31410)
Joe Brown & The Bruvvers
Yes----I dislike the song by anybody personally but I posted the
Kalins mp3 in case anyone wanted to hear and compare
Post by Iain Wilkie Logan
Post by Roger Ford
f)
Post by Roger Ford
Chuck Berry - Oh Baby Doll (Chess 1664)
Which 50's rock & roll movie features Chuck performing this number?
Rock! Rock! Rock!
No its not that one either sorry
Post by Iain Wilkie Logan
[snip]
Post by Roger Ford
ENGLAND FOR CHAMPIONS - WORLD CUP - GERMANY 2006
Good Luck!
Thanks. If we play the way we've played in this thing so far we are
going to need it!!
Post by Iain Wilkie Logan
OT: Shock! Horror! - somebody in Glasgow has been sticking 'Nae Chance' on
Mars Bars! (News of The World p9)
When you find out who did it please give them a Gorbals kiss from all
of us down here :)

Iain Wilkie Logan
2006-06-25 22:47:14 UTC
On Sun, 25 Jun 2006 11:38:12 +0100, Iain Wilkie Logan
(Slightly OT)
Post by Roger Ford
Post by Iain Wilkie Logan
OT: Shock! Horror! - somebody in Glasgow has been sticking 'Nae Chance' on
Mars Bars! (News of The World p9)
When you find out who did it please give them a Gorbals kiss from all
of us down here :)
Three Stunnas duly heided aff.

It woz the (Sunday) Sun wot dun it! ;-) (reported it that is)

Mail: <***@enterprise.net>
Jack G
2006-06-26 04:10:27 UTC
I can not see Roger's original post - could someone please repost it to the
group?

Thanks,

Jack G.
Shoo-Bop-Shoo-Bop
2006-06-25 12:37:34 UTC
a) Who had the original versions on these?
1. The Orioles - I Cover The Waterfront (Jubilee 5120)
Billie Holiday?
Post by Roger Ford
3. Snooky Lanson - Why Don't You Write Me (Dot 15385)
Gizelle MacKenzie.

Only kidding. The Feathers.
Post by Roger Ford
i)
Post by Roger Ford
The Rays - Magic Moon (XYZ 607)
said classical piece?
"Clair De Lune" by Debussy.
--
Bill
"Are the stars out tonight?
I don't know if it's cloudy or bright."
Roger Ford
2006-06-25 14:22:30 UTC
On Sun, 25 Jun 2006 08:37:34 -0400, "Shoo-Bop-Shoo-Bop"
Post by Shoo-Bop-Shoo-Bop
Post by Roger Ford
a) Who had the original versions on these?
1. The Orioles - I Cover The Waterfront (Jubilee 5120)
Billie Holiday?
To be perfectly honest I was'nt sure on this opne which is why I
purposely included it. I show Lady Day too but I have a sneaking
suspicion that Randy or someone will put us right :)
Post by Shoo-Bop-Shoo-Bop
Post by Roger Ford
3. Snooky Lanson - Why Don't You Write Me (Dot 15385)
Gizelle MacKenzie.
Only kidding. The Feathers.
Yes but do you agree its better by The Jacks?
Post by Shoo-Bop-Shoo-Bop
Post by Roger Ford
i)
Post by Roger Ford
The Rays - Magic Moon (XYZ 607)
said classical piece?
"Clair De Lune" by Debussy.
Right. And I've always really liked this Rays version of the song

Shoo-Bop-Shoo-Bop
2006-06-25 14:56:31 UTC
Post by Shoo-Bop-Shoo-Bop
Post by Roger Ford
3. Snooky Lanson - Why Don't You Write Me (Dot 15385)
The Feathers.
Yes but do you agree its better by The Jacks?
Yes, I do. An all-time favorite of mine.
Mark Dintenfass
2006-06-25 15:06:14 UTC
Post by Roger Ford
Rosemary Clooney - Hey There (Columbia 40266)
Which famous Broadway show of the time did "Hey There" come from?
The Pajama Game
Post by Roger Ford
f)
Post by Roger Ford
Chuck Berry - Oh Baby Doll (Chess 1664)
Which 50's rock & roll movie features Chuck performing this number?
Mr. Rock and Roll
2006-06-25 17:36:20 UTC
On Sun, 25 Jun 2006 10:06:14 -0500, Mark Dintenfass
This week's teasers in 9 parts :-
(those alreaady answered snipped)
f)
Post by Roger Ford
Chuck Berry - Oh Baby Doll (Chess 1664)
Which 50's rock & roll movie features Chuck performing this number?
Mr. Rock and Roll
At last the right answer!

Worth seeing for the Little Richard and Chuck Berry sequences plus the
two performances of Frankie Lymon & The Teenagers doing a couple of
numbers that were never out on record at the time.
"Football's coming home...."
ENGLAND FOR CHAMPIONS - WORLD CUP - GERMANY 2006
Well we made it England 1 Ecuador 0

Now bring on Portugal or Holland!!
Norm Katuna
2006-06-25 16:17:03 UTC
Post by Roger Ford
The Western Melody Makers - Who Put The Turtle In Myrtle's Girdle
With a change of name these guys went on to release a whole slew of
country rock and RAB records on Columbia.Under what name were they
better known on that label?
Sid Prince and the Five woodwinds.

If I remember, when I do the comments later, I should have a Dr. Demento story
about the above Starday record.

Norm K
Roger Ford
2006-06-25 17:38:24 UTC
Post by Roger Ford
The Western Melody Makers - Who Put The Turtle In Myrtle's Girdle
With a change of name these guys went on to release a whole slew of
country rock and RAB records on Columbia.Under what name were they
better known on that label?
Sid Prince and the Five woodwinds.
If I remember, when I do the comments later, I should have a Dr. Demento story
about the above Starday record.
I await with breath suitably bated :)

Jimbo
2006-06-25 16:52:52 UTC
a) Who had the original versions on these?
1. The Orioles - I Cover The Waterfront (Jubilee 5120)
Eddie Duchin in 1933
Post by Roger Ford
2. Rosemary Clooney - Hey There (Columbia 40266)
John Raitt did it on the original cast album. Sammy Davis Jr. did it on
a Decca recording
Post by Roger Ford
3. Snooky Lanson - Why Don't You Write Me (Dot 15385)
The Jacks
Post by Roger Ford
4. Chubby Checker - The Twist (Parkway 811)
Midnighters (Hank Ballad)
Post by Roger Ford
6. The Kalin Twins - A Picture Of You (Decca 31410)
7. The High Keyes - Que Sera Sera (Atco 6268)
Doris Day
Rosemary Clooney - Hey There (Columbia 40266)
Which famous Broadway show of the time did "Hey There" come from?
The Pajama Game
.
.
.
Post by Roger Ford
g)
Stand By Me
Roger Ford
2006-06-25 17:42:23 UTC
Post by Jimbo
Post by Roger Ford
a) Who had the original versions on these?
1. The Orioles - I Cover The Waterfront (Jubilee 5120)
Eddie Duchin in 1933
Ok that's the earliest version offered so far
Post by Jimbo
Post by Roger Ford
2. Rosemary Clooney - Hey There (Columbia 40266)
John Raitt did it on the original cast album. Sammy Davis Jr. did it on
a Decca recording
I have John Raitt too

Shoo-Bop-Shoo-Bop
2006-06-25 18:07:54 UTC
a) Who had the original versions on these?
1. The Orioles - I Cover The Waterfront (Jubilee 5120) Eddie Duchin
in 1933
Ok that's the earliest version offered so far
Do you know when Ben Bernie's version came out? From Marv Goldberg:

I Cover The Waterfront
By: Edward Heyman & John Green
From: the movie "I Cover The Waterfront" (1933) - the song was ordered for
the movie, but it wasn't ready in time. When finally finished, it became a
big hit for Ben Bernie and was put into subsequent prints of the film.
Roger Ford
From: the movie "I Cover The Waterfront" (1933) - the song was ordered for
the movie, but it wasn't ready in time. When finally finished, it became a
big hit for Ben Bernie and was put into subsequent prints of the film.
According to the entry in IMDb,the 1933 movie "I Cover The Waterfront"
for which the song was composed,featured an instrumental version by an
orchestra that is'nt named.

Perhaps this is that Ben Bernie version?

Which therefore would seem to be the original version.

Norm Katuna
2006-06-25 21:46:59 UTC
MOn Sun, 25 Jun 2006 08:46:39 GMT, in rec.music.rock-pop-r+b.1950s, Roger Ford
Post by Roger Ford
Continuing our regular weekly look at some of the more memorable and
not quite so memorable records reviewed as NEW RELEASES by "Billboard"
this week in......
1953 (Jun 27)
Timmie Rogers - Oh Yeah! (Capitol 2509)
Funny how this works. For years I had wanted to know why he was called Timmie
"Oh Yeah" Rogers on his "Back to School Again" single. Then I found this and
voila, knew the reason. This one ain't that good.
Post by Roger Ford
Johnny Ace - The Clock (Duke 112)
His sort of first hit?
Post by Roger Ford
The Crows - Gee (Rama 5)
One of the best. Never had it on red, but see it for sale that way on Ebay all
the time.
Post by Roger Ford
The Orioles - I Cover The Waterfront (Jubilee 5120)
Never had this.
Post by Roger Ford
The Embers - Paradise Hill (Herald 410)
Now I remember why I got rid of my yellow label red wax. This sucks. Came out
on Ember first and then the rerelease on the short-lived black label Herald.
Post by Roger Ford
Dessa Ray - Ain't Gonna Tell (7-11 2103)
Aladdin's answer to Margie day or a weak version of Ruth Brown. Anyway, this
has to be rare as hell if it's on 7-11.
Post by Roger Ford
1954 (Jun 26)
Rosemary Clooney - Hey There (Columbia 40266)
Parodied by the infamous Homo and Jether. Okay, but nothing special.
Post by Roger Ford
The Western Melody Makers - Who Put The Turtle In Myrtle's Girdle (Starday 147)
Sid Ervin and friends.
Found my first copy of this back in the early 70s. I was in some thrift store
in Pomona/Riverside and was looking through a stack of 78s when this one with
this interesting title popped up. I had just become friends with Barry Hansen
(Dr. Demento) who collected 78s. He told me that he would trade for good 78s,
especially obscure novelty things. He never mentioned this one, but when I
brought this over he was really excited and told that he had been looking for it
for years. Well, I guess I got some decent 45 in trade for this. It wasn't
until the mid 80s that I got my cuing scratched copy on 45 for myself.
Post by Roger Ford
The Velvets - I Cried (Red Robin 127)
Nice item. Got a decent copy. Probably the most successful group on the label.
Post by Roger Ford
Papa Lightfoot - Wine,Women Whiskey (Imperial 5289)
It figures. My Lightfoot on Aladdin is the cheapest of the lot. Back in the
70s I used to get a list from somebody that collected blues. At the end he
would have his most wanted and this was his most wanted and he put a note next
to it....Worth a ton. Don't think even Propes has it.
Post by Roger Ford
Otis Hinton - Walkin' Down Hill (Timely 1003)
Wow!! Top of the line stuff. Never heard it before. Not listed in Tefteller,
so it must not have been on 45, but in the first Osborne/Hamilton Blues-Rhythm &
Blues book, It is listed as being on 45. So.....
Post by Roger Ford
Junior Wells - Lawdy! Lawdy! (States 139)
Another top of the liner. Never had this and think it's probably worth a
gazillion. I know this came out on 45, so let's see...$750 in Tefteller. Once
had a vg- copy of "So all alone" on black, but it had some center damage and I
wasn't collecting blues then, so I got rid of it.
Post by Roger Ford
1955 (Jun 25)
Snooky Lanson - Why Don't You Write Me (Dot 15385)
Sorry guys, but this is now the best thing today from one of the members of
"Your Hit Parade". Who else was there.. Giselle MacKenzie, Dorothy Collins and
Russell Arms. For some reason I keep thinking that it was sponsored by Lucky
Strike cigarettes.
Post by Roger Ford
Louis Brooks & His Hi-Toppers - It's Love Baby (24 Hours A Day ) (Excello 2056)
Got a decent copy. I guess his biggie.
Post by Roger Ford
The Laurels - Truly Truly ("X" 0143)
And Vik became X? Or maybe the reverse. No tanks. Not one of RCAs better
things.
Post by Roger Ford
The Diablos - Daddy Rocking Strong (Fortune 516)
Not all that bad. Like it better than "The Wind".
Post by Roger Ford
The Jaguars - Rock It,Davy Rock It (Aardell 0003)
My copy is listed under the flip... "I wanted You". Have any relation to the
Davy Crockett craze?
Post by Roger Ford
The Tenderfoots - Those Golden Bells (Federal 12225)
Okay, but nothing great. Another of them "Bells" songs.
Post by Roger Ford
1956 (Jun 30)
Otto Bash - Elvis Blues (RCA 6585)
Never found better than a vg- copy of this. So that's what I have. Not one of
the more betterer Elvis novelties.
Post by Roger Ford
Buck Griffin - Stutterin' Papa (MGM 12284)
Had several chances for this, but never really liked it that much to go after
it. Not one of the better RAB outputs.
Post by Roger Ford
Brad Suggs - Bop Baby Bop (Meteor 5034)
You may not believe this, but I've never heard this before. Not very good.
Don't like the steel guitar. My price guide shows "Charcoal Suit" as the side.
Post by Roger Ford
The Rockers - Down In The Bottom (Federal 12273)
No thanks. Not very good.
Post by Roger Ford
The Tears - Until The Day I Die (Dig 112)
This isn't Julie Stevens is it? This is not very good.
Post by Roger Ford
The Soul Stirrers - Touch The Hem Of His Garment (Specialty 896)
I don't care if it is Sam Cooke. Don't like religious songs that much.
Post by Roger Ford
1957 (Jul 1)
Chuck Berry - Oh Baby Doll (Chess 1664)
At one time one of my favorites by him.
Post by Roger Ford
Joe Bennett & The Sparkletones - Black Slacks (ABC-Paramount 9837)
Fun Song. Saw them on some Ed Sullivan repeat a few years ago.
Post by Roger Ford
Lee Andrews & The Hearts - Long Lonely Nights (Chess 1665)
Got a near mint Chess and a G+ green Mainline.
Post by Roger Ford
Billy Barrix - Cool Off Baby (Chess 1662)
What a piece of crap. Never had a copy and wouldn't take one if it was given to
me. What were the Chess bros thinking with this one?
Post by Roger Ford
The Cellos - The Juicy Crocodile (Apollo 515)
Bill's favorite Cellos record? Crocodiles climbing trees, yeah right.
Post by Roger Ford
Big "T" Tyler - King Kong (Aladdin 3384)
Fun song. Never did come across a copy.
Post by Roger Ford
1958 (Jun 30)
Connie Francis - Stupid Cupid (MGM 12683)
One of my favorites by her. Written by Neil Sekaky?
Post by Roger Ford
The Johnny Otis Show - Willie & The Hand Jive (Capitol 3966)
One of them all-time fun songs. Never could figure out how to hand jive, but
they figured it out in Grease.
Post by Roger Ford
Henry Houston & The Cufflinx - Lawful Wedding (Dooto 438)
Got a vg copy. Nothing great.
Post by Roger Ford
The Ivy Tones - Each Time (Red Top 105)
Wrong side.
Post by Roger Ford
Baby Calloway - Midnight Blues (Baytone 100)
Okay, I guess.
Post by Roger Ford
Andre Williams - Hey Country Girl (Fortune 842)
With the Don Juans? Not a bad R&B rocker.
Post by Roger Ford
1959 (Jun 29)
Elvis Presley - A Big Hunk O' Love (RCA 7600)
Liked this one.
Post by Roger Ford
Brook Benton - Thank You Pretty Baby (Mercury 71478)
Played to death on KFWB. Nothing great.
Post by Roger Ford
Sarah Vaughan - Broken Hearted Melody (Mercury 71477)
Same with this one. Played to death on WB.
Post by Roger Ford
The Delicates - Black & White Thunderbird (Unart 2017)
Have had a so so copy of this for years.
Post by Roger Ford
Oscar Boyd & The Calvaes - So Bad (Checker 928)
No thanks. Too mild.
Post by Roger Ford
The Premiers - I Think I Love You (Mink 021)
What a surprise. Never heard this before. Pretty nice white doo-wop. From the
same label that gave is the Stereos and the Tams version of "Mammary Lane"
Post by Roger Ford
1960 (Jun 27)
Chubby Checker - The Twist (Parkway 811)
Much better than Hank's. This was on the first Parkway label.
Post by Roger Ford
Cowboy Copas - Alabam (Starday 501)
Not bad as far as hit country songs go.
Post by Roger Ford
Mark II - Night Theme (Wye 1001)
Actually liked this back then. Played a lot on KFWB.
Post by Roger Ford
Little Walter - My Babe (Checker 955)
Re recording right?
Post by Roger Ford
The Fairlanes - Little Girl,Little Girl (Argo 5357)
Why was this on Argo? Should have been on Chess. Nothing great.
Post by Roger Ford
Lawrence Shaul - Tutti Frutti (Reed 1049)
Interesting. This kind of stuff was getting passe by now.
Post by Roger Ford
1961 (Jun 26)
Bobby Rydell - The Fish (Cameo 192)
One of the few Rydells that I don't have.
Post by Roger Ford
Damita Jo - I'll Be There (Mercury 71840)
What was she? Mercury's queen of answer records?
Post by Roger Ford
The Rays - Magic Moon (XYZ 607)
First heard this when I bought that compilation album called "Group Of Goodies"
put out by London records.
Post by Roger Ford
The Edsels - Bone Shaker Joe (Capitol 4588)
No thanks. Not up to their former standards.
Post by Roger Ford
Billy Joe Tucker - Boogie Woogie Bill (Dot 16240)
Another JLL imitator. No thanks.
Post by Roger Ford
The Five Stars - Baby,Baby (Columbia 42056)
Sounds like something that George Goldner should have put out.
Post by Roger Ford
1962 (Jun 30)
Brenda Lee - Heart In Hand (Decca 31407)
Don't know it and don't want to.
Post by Roger Ford
Dion - Little Diane (Laurie 3134)
He sang this before Emma grew up.
Post by Roger Ford
The Drifters - Sometimes I Wonder (Atlantic 2151)
Kind of sounds like a "There goes my baby" part 2
Post by Roger Ford
The Kalin Twins - A Picture Of You (Decca 31410)
They were over the hill by now
Post by Roger Ford
John D. Loudermilk - Callin' Dr Casey (RCA 8054)
And then the follow-up "Telegraphing Dr. Kildare"
Post by Roger Ford
Dave "Baby" Cortez - Rinky Dink (Chess 1829)
I think we used this last year and I posted my copy of the original label.
Post by Roger Ford
1963 (Jun 29)
George Jones & Melba Montgomery - We Must Have Been Out Of Our Minds (United Artists 575)
And anyone that bought this must have been out of their minds.
Post by Roger Ford
The Ran-Dells -Martian Hop (Chairman 4403)
Nice novelty. A classic.
Post by Roger Ford
The Rip Chords - Gone (Columbia 42812)
Really liked this one. Got a near mint blue wax promo of this.
Post by Roger Ford
Darlene Love - Wait Till My Bobby Gets Home (Philles 114)
Nice item.
Post by Roger Ford
Chris Kenner - Land Of A Thousand Dances (Instant 3252)
And then redone by Cannibal and then thee Midnighters.
Post by Roger Ford
The High Keyes - Que Sera Sera (Atco 6268)
Never liked this that much.
Post by Roger Ford
Yes,I know some sides as listed may not be the "top sides" as we know
them but they are the sides BB chose to review.
Some of the more interesting and some of the more unfamiliar records
from this weeks list will shortly appear as mp3s in the alt.binaries.
rock-n-roll group (see seperate post for details)
(For anyone who does'nt know "Cool Off Baby" from Billy Barrix on
Chess is the Holy Grail of rockabilly records----almost impossible to
locate on a real true honest to God original (sorry!) 45RPM single.
And just about the rarest rockabilly single there is)
But weren't there hundreds of....... labels to this over at your Chess mountain?
Post by Roger Ford
OK over to you Norm for further comment on the elusive Mr Barrix and
the other records listed here this week!
And then some requests:
Atlantic 1000; Gem 207
Imperial 5291; Lamp 8001
Dootone 367; Flip 306 (was given one of the lowest point ratings ever, 58)
Mercury 70879; Decca 29941
Roulette 4014; Capitol 3763
Era 1075; Corvette 1002 (this is the one I have with 2 different titles)
American International 530; Tune 206; Decca 30933

And by the way. I don't have that one on Decca you asked me about last week.

And now back to the guy that can't find his little people eater also known as
Junior, junior, junior.

Roger "Purple" Ford

Norm K
Roger Ford
2006-06-26 19:41:22 UTC
Post by Roger Ford
Continuing our regular weekly look at some of the more memorable and
not quite so memorable records reviewed as NEW RELEASES by "Billboard"
this week in......
1953 (Jun 27)
Johnny Ace - The Clock (Duke 112)
His sort of first hit?
He had the #1 "My Song" before this and "Cross My Heart" was earlier
too
Post by Norm Katuna
Post by Roger Ford
The Crows - Gee (Rama 5)
One of the best. Never had it on red, but see it for sale that way on Ebay all
the time.
I bet the rarest 45RPM version of this BY FAR must be the UK pressing
on Columbia over here.. £2000 in my guide (which is nearly 5 years old
now so a lot more than that in 2006!!). And that is in POUNDS sterling
so you can multiply by whatever the current rate is to get the $
equivalent!
Post by Norm Katuna
Post by Roger Ford
The Orioles - I Cover The Waterfront (Jubilee 5120)
Never had this.
Never cared for the song much
Post by Norm Katuna
Post by Roger Ford
The Embers - Paradise Hill (Herald 410)
Now I remember why I got rid of my yellow label red wax. This sucks. Came out
on Ember first and then the rerelease on the short-lived black label Herald.
I've had it on Herald a couple of times but never seen the Ember.
Post by Norm Katuna
Post by Roger Ford
1954 (Jun 26)
Rosemary Clooney - Hey There (Columbia 40266)
Parodied by the infamous Homo and Jether. Okay, but nothing special.
One of Clooney's best ballads. This and "Tenderly" and those kind of
songs are what SHE wanted to do---she hated the novelty kiddy stuff
like "Where Will The Dimple Be" and "Me And My Teddy Bear" that Miller
forced her to do.
Post by Norm Katuna
Post by Roger Ford
The Western Melody Makers - Who Put The Turtle In Myrtle's Girdle (Starday 147)
Sid Ervin and friends.
Found my first copy of this back in the early 70s. I was in some thrift store
in Pomona/Riverside and was looking through a stack of 78s when this one with
this interesting title popped up. I had just become friends with Barry Hansen
(Dr. Demento) who collected 78s. He told me that he would trade for good 78s,
especially obscure novelty things. He never mentioned this one, but when I
brought this over he was really excited and told that he had been looking for it
for years. Well, I guess I got some decent 45 in trade for this. It wasn't
until the mid 80s that I got my cuing scratched copy on 45 for myself.
Apart from the curiosity novelty value this is pretty bad and I hereby
apologize to the group for posting it :)
Post by Norm Katuna
Post by Roger Ford
The Velvets - I Cried (Red Robin 127)
Nice item. Got a decent copy. Probably the most successful group on the label.
Nah can't be...Bobby Robinson told us that the most successful record
he ever had on Red Robin---by a long way----was The Vocaleers and "Is
It A Dream"
Post by Norm Katuna
Post by Roger Ford
Papa Lightfoot - Wine,Women Whiskey (Imperial 5289)
It figures. My Lightfoot on Aladdin is the cheapest of the lot. Back in the
70s I used to get a list from somebody that collected blues. At the end he
would have his most wanted and this was his most wanted and he put a note next
to it....Worth a ton. Don't think even Propes has it.
This came out here on 45RPM which is how I have it....but not until
1969!!!

Released on UK Liberty,I think it was a special kind of "promo" single
since it was put out to try to stir up interest in that series of
blues LPs ("Rural Blues" etc) that Bob Hite & co had worked on back
then (they were on Imperial in the US)
Post by Norm Katuna
Post by Roger Ford
Otis Hinton - Walkin' Down Hill (Timely 1003)
Wow!! Top of the line stuff. Never heard it before. Not listed in Tefteller,
so it must not have been on 45, but in the first Osborne/Hamilton Blues-Rhythm &
Blues book, It is listed as being on 45. So.....
This is a GREAT record and yes it IS on 45RPM! I wonder iof Diane
knows this one?
Post by Norm Katuna
Post by Roger Ford
1955 (Jun 25)
Snooky Lanson - Why Don't You Write Me (Dot 15385)
Sorry guys, but this is now the best thing today from one of the members of
"Your Hit Parade". Who else was there.. Giselle MacKenzie, Dorothy Collins and
Russell Arms. For some reason I keep thinking that it was sponsored by Lucky
Strike cigarettes.
Yep,old Snooky really shows the Feathers and the Jacks how the song
SHOULD be sung! NOT!!
Post by Norm Katuna
Post by Roger Ford
Louis Brooks & His Hi-Toppers - It's Love Baby (24 Hours A Day ) (Excello 2056)
Got a decent copy. I guess his biggie.
With Earl Gaines on lead IIRC. The original and best version of the
oft-covered R&B number
Post by Norm Katuna
Post by Roger Ford
The Laurels - Truly Truly ("X" 0143)
And Vik became X? Or maybe the reverse. No tanks. Not one of RCAs better
things.
It was "X" first (sometimes referred to as "Label X" which later
morphed into "Vik"
Post by Norm Katuna
Post by Roger Ford
The Diablos - Daddy Rocking Strong (Fortune 516)
Not all that bad. Like it better than "The Wind".
No way is it up to "The Wind" standard but its still excellent. I've
yet to hear a Diablos track from this period that is any less than
very good
Post by Norm Katuna
Post by Roger Ford
The Jaguars - Rock It,Davy Rock It (Aardell 0003)
My copy is listed under the flip... "I wanted You". Have any relation to the
Davy Crockett craze?
Yes it mentions Crockett in the lyrics
Post by Norm Katuna
Post by Roger Ford
1956 (Jun 30)
Otto Bash - Elvis Blues (RCA 6585)
Never found better than a vg- copy of this. So that's what I have. Not one of
the more betterer Elvis novelties.
Again it's listed here strictly for novelty value. Elvis deserved
better records about him :)
Post by Norm Katuna
Post by Roger Ford
Buck Griffin - Stutterin' Papa (MGM 12284)
Had several chances for this, but never really liked it that much to go after
it. Not one of the better RAB outputs.
I always thought the original of this was on Lin but the release IS
original to MGM---even tho it was originally recorded by Lin and
leased from them by MGM
Post by Norm Katuna
Post by Roger Ford
Brad Suggs - Bop Baby Bop (Meteor 5034)
You may not believe this, but I've never heard this before. Not very good.
Don't like the steel guitar. My price guide shows "Charcoal Suit" as the side.
You might like the "Charcoal Suit" side better. I'll post it when I
get done with this response
Post by Norm Katuna
Post by Roger Ford
The Soul Stirrers - Touch The Hem Of His Garment (Specialty 896)
I don't care if it is Sam Cooke. Don't like religious songs that much.
I'm not usually that big on gospel stuff but there's a few from the
50's I really love. Like this one and "Uncloudy Day" and a few others
Post by Norm Katuna
Post by Roger Ford
1957 (Jul 1)
Chuck Berry - Oh Baby Doll (Chess 1664)
At one time one of my favorites by him.
We missed this one (London never released it) so it was one of the
very 45's I bought when the Transat import shop opened in London and I
began shopping there for 45's to plug all the holes in my Chuck Berry
collection. I believe this one and of course "Maybellene" were my
first purchases there
Post by Norm Katuna
Post by Roger Ford
Joe Bennett & The Sparkletones - Black Slacks (ABC-Paramount 9837)
Fun Song. Saw them on some Ed Sullivan repeat a few years ago.
I never liked this then & time has'nt been kind to it either. Can't
see the appeal
Post by Norm Katuna
Post by Roger Ford
Lee Andrews & The Hearts - Long Lonely Nights (Chess 1665)
Got a near mint Chess and a G+ green Mainline.
Anybody who can not only withstand a direct cover version from the
mighty Clyde McPhatter but also come out far ahead on the deal when
the two versioons are compared for quality deserves high praise
indeed!!
Post by Norm Katuna
Post by Roger Ford
Billy Barrix - Cool Off Baby (Chess 1662)
What a piece of crap. Never had a copy and wouldn't take one if it was given to
me. What were the Chess bros thinking with this one?
So....two questions.

Is this REALLY original to Chess? I mean really???

And is there a rarer RAB 45RPM?

(Jess Hooper maybe?)
Post by Norm Katuna
Post by Roger Ford
The Cellos - The Juicy Crocodile (Apollo 515)
Bill's favorite Cellos record? Crocodiles climbing trees, yeah right.
I like the one about the sandman from Japan better but this is a
decent record by them too!
Post by Norm Katuna
Post by Roger Ford
Big "T" Tyler - King Kong (Aladdin 3384)
Fun song. Never did come across a copy.
This got the most incredible reaction on here as I recall when I first
posted it many moons ago. Remember Bill falling out of his chair?
LOL!!

I honestly have never figured what all the fuss was about nor why
almost everyone (I think it was near unanimous) absolutely DETESTED
the record!!!

Okay,the guy has'nt got a voice to die for but it still comes across
to me as a really good New Orleans stomper

I like the "Sadie Green" flip better tho.
Post by Norm Katuna
Post by Roger Ford
1958 (Jun 30)
Connie Francis - Stupid Cupid (MGM 12683)
One of my favorites by her. Written by Neil Sekaky?
If you don't twell anyone I'll confess that this was my #1 favorite
record at the time. Played it to death. It was also #1 on the charts
here.
Post by Norm Katuna
Post by Roger Ford
The Johnny Otis Show - Willie & The Hand Jive (Capitol 3966)
One of them all-time fun songs. Never could figure out how to hand jive, but
they figured it out in Grease.
Otis was on tour here (remember "Ma! He's Makin' Eyes At Me" had been
an enormous UK hit for him) and saw kids here doing this "hand jive"
thingy----and promptly took the mental picture back to the USA with
him and resolved to take his own version of a "Hand Jive" number into
the US charts---whixch he proceeded to do

Did'nt the song run into some trouble on some US radio statiions tho?
Who thought the title was a reference to masturbating?
Post by Norm Katuna
Post by Roger Ford
Henry Houston & The Cufflinx - Lawful Wedding (Dooto 438)
Got a vg copy. Nothing great.
I only have a reissue on this credited simply to the Cuff Links. Is
the original credited the way I have it? (and the way BB had it?)
Post by Norm Katuna
Post by Roger Ford
The Ivy Tones - Each Time (Red Top 105)
Wrong side.
No way!!! This is my favorite song. The other side does nothing for
me.
Post by Norm Katuna
Post by Roger Ford
Andre Williams - Hey Country Girl (Fortune 842)
With the Don Juans? Not a bad R&B rocker.
Just credited to "Andre Williams" IIRC but Kreiter says its the Don
Juans
Post by Norm Katuna
Post by Roger Ford
1959 (Jun 29)
Sarah Vaughan - Broken Hearted Melody (Mercury 71477)
Same with this one. Played to death on WB.
This one comes very near the top of my "Adult Pop" all time favorites
list. GREAT record with The Divine One at her very best!!
Post by Norm Katuna
Post by Roger Ford
The Delicates - Black & White Thunderbird (Unart 2017)
Have had a so so copy of this for years.
Now tell me something---between you and me I think this is a piece of
crap. So why was it so popular over here circa. 1976 that I had Rascio
find for me (!) A THOUSAND COPIES----and we sold out all of them in a
matter of weeks.
Post by Norm Katuna
Post by Roger Ford
Oscar Boyd & The Calvaes - So Bad (Checker 928)
No thanks. Too mild.
By the way for anyone interested that group name IS "Calvaes" and not
"Calvanes" :)
Post by Norm Katuna
Post by Roger Ford
The Premiers - I Think I Love You (Mink 021)
What a surprise. Never heard this before. Pretty nice white doo-wop. From the
same label that gave is the Stereos and the Tams version of "Mammary Lane"
I think I liked it better when they gave us their take on "Farmer
John" :)
Post by Norm Katuna
Post by Roger Ford
1960 (Jun 27)
Chubby Checker - The Twist (Parkway 811)
Much better than Hank's. This was on the first Parkway label.
It's not MUCH better cos the two versions are so very close---but
Checker does have a teeny bit more "swing" in his version
Post by Norm Katuna
Post by Roger Ford
Cowboy Copas - Alabam (Starday 501)
Not bad as far as hit country songs go.
I have it listed here thast Pat Boone covered (or remade soon
afterwards) this but In never heard it by him.
Post by Norm Katuna
Post by Roger Ford
Mark II - Night Theme (Wye 1001)
Actually liked this back then. Played a lot on KFWB.
Came out here and yes I liked it too hence the inclusion. I used to go
for several oddball numbers like this---"Image" by Hank Levine was
another
Post by Norm Katuna
Post by Roger Ford
Little Walter - My Babe (Checker 955)
Re recording right?
Yes and not a patch on the original
Post by Norm Katuna
Post by Roger Ford
Lawrence Shaul - Tutti Frutti (Reed 1049)
Interesting. This kind of stuff was getting passe by now.
With the possible exception of Boone this has to be the wierdest
version ever of "Tutti Frutti".

Hey,have you ever heard the Art Mooney version on MGM? I'm ashamed to
say its the one major label version of a rock & roll stndard that I
never heard
Post by Norm Katuna
Post by Roger Ford
1961 (Jun 26)
Damita Jo - I'll Be There (Mercury 71840)
What was she? Mercury's queen of answer records?
Actually this is not bad---answers Benny's "Stand By Me" quite well
Post by Norm Katuna
Post by Roger Ford
The Rays - Magic Moon (XYZ 607)
First heard this when I bought that compilation album called "Group Of Goodies"
put out by London records.
I'm a sucker for these kind of numbers that are based on classical
themes (witness The Blue Notes' "My Hero" as a good example)---T^he
Rays do real good on this adaptation of Debussy's "Clair De Lune"
Post by Norm Katuna
Post by Roger Ford
The Edsels - Bone Shaker Joe (Capitol 4588)
No thanks. Not up to their former standards.
I agree. its very weak compared to "Rama Lama Ding Dong"
Post by Norm Katuna
Post by Roger Ford
Billy Joe Tucker - Boogie Woogie Bill (Dot 16240)
Another JLL imitator. No thanks.
The one that was booted by some unscrupulous person on a made up
"Maha" label (it was a figment of the imagination,it never existed)
back in the 70's----the track was picked up years later for inclusion
on a UK-compiled LP on the ABC label of Dot RAB numbers with the album
liner notes famously crediting the original production of the record
to "Maha Records in Waxahatchie,Texas LOL!!!

("Maha" was Val Shively's pet nickname for a certain English record
fan who used to jet over to Philly ever few months to annoy him. Say
it real fast and you get the reason for the nick...

Maha---Rajah.....:-)
Post by Norm Katuna
Post by Roger Ford
The Five Stars - Baby,Baby (Columbia 42056)
Sounds like something that George Goldner should have put out.
If he had put it out in 1958 it might have End-ed his career
Post by Norm Katuna
Post by Roger Ford
1962 (Jun 30)
Brenda Lee - Heart In Hand (Decca 31407)
Don't know it and don't want to.
Not one of her best. Over here they flipped it and got a hit out of
the better (but still far from great) "It Started All Over Again"
Post by Norm Katuna
Post by Roger Ford
Dion - Little Diane (Laurie 3134)
He sang this before Emma grew up.
Butr soon ditched her for Ruby..Ruby...Ruby Baby
Post by Norm Katuna
Post by Roger Ford
The Drifters - Sometimes I Wonder (Atlantic 2151)
Kind of sounds like a "There goes my baby" part 2
Never issued here probably because it bombed in the USA. Very strange
that as they were really hot at the time and this came in the middle
of a long run of hits
Post by Norm Katuna
Post by Roger Ford
The Kalin Twins - A Picture Of You (Decca 31410)
They were over the hill by now
US cover of the UK #1 hit for Joe Brown & His Bruvvers. A song I can't
stand but I have to say it is better in the UK version.
Post by Norm Katuna
Post by Roger Ford
John D. Loudermilk - Callin' Dr Casey (RCA 8054)
And then the follow-up "Telegraphing Dr. Kildare"
Besides "Sittin' In the Balcony" Loudermilk once had a pretty good r&r
number under this name---"Susie's House" on Columbia
Post by Norm Katuna
Post by Roger Ford
Dave "Baby" Cortez - Rinky Dink (Chess 1829)
I think we used this last year and I posted my copy of the original label.
Did'nt Bobby Rydell's "The Cha Cha Cha" use the same backing track?
Post by Norm Katuna
Post by Roger Ford
1963 (Jun 29)
The Ran-Dells -Martian Hop (Chairman 4403)
Nice novelty. A classic.
I liked this one too. Played to death on radio here but still failed
to set the charts alight
Post by Norm Katuna
Post by Roger Ford
Chris Kenner - Land Of A Thousand Dances (Instant 3252)
And then redone by Cannibal and then thee Midnighters.
None of them compare with the Wicked Pickett who did the definitive
version
Post by Norm Katuna
Post by Roger Ford
The High Keyes - Que Sera Sera (Atco 6268)
Never liked this that much.
If truth be told I prefer it by Ms Kappelhoff
Post by Norm Katuna
Post by Roger Ford
(For anyone who does'nt know "Cool Off Baby" from Billy Barrix on
Chess is the Holy Grail of rockabilly records----almost impossible to
locate on a real true honest to God original (sorry!) 45RPM single.
And just about the rarest rockabilly single there is)
But weren't there hundreds of....... labels to this over at your Chess mountain?
Not a single copy of this at all there :-(
Post by Norm Katuna
Post by Roger Ford
OK over to you Norm for further comment on the elusive Mr Barrix and
the other records listed here this week!
Atlantic 1000; Gem 207
Clovers???

Gee,have'nt we had juast about enough Clovers posts the past few
days? :)

OK did include it anyway but did'nt you maybe mean the rare Eva
Foster on Atlantic??? Anyway both are in. I'll try to add the Four
Bells
Post by Norm Katuna
Imperial 5291; Lamp 8001
Both already included
Post by Norm Katuna
Dootone 367; Flip 306 (was given one of the lowest point ratings ever, 58)
The Flip is def there.Will check out the Dootone #
Post by Norm Katuna
Mercury 70879; Decca 29941
???? the Johnny Carroll record was included weeks ago
Post by Norm Katuna
Roulette 4014; Capitol 3763
Era 1075; Corvette 1002 (this is the one I have with 2 different titles)
I don't have the Russ Regan sorry
Post by Norm Katuna
American International 530; Tune 206; Decca 30933
Whats the American Int???

I' will try to include ther Doug Bowles. That Col Joye is an Aussie
group you know & not very good (the record came out here)
Post by Norm Katuna
And by the way. I don't have that one on Decca you asked me about last week.
Thanx for checking!
Post by Norm Katuna
And now back to the guy that can't find his little people eater also known as
Junior, junior, junior.
And now back to the to the man who whose favorite 50's song was
"Rainbow" and who had such a crush on the head-swivelling cross
chomping "heroine" of "The Exorcist" movie that he killed two birds
with one stone and changed his name to.....

RUSS "NORM" REGAN

Roger Ford
2006-06-26 19:51:59 UTC
Post by Roger Ford
Continuing our regular weekly look at some of the more memorable and
not quite so memorable records reviewed as NEW RELEASES by "Billboard"
this week in......
1956 (Jun 30)
Brad Suggs - Bop Baby Bop (Meteor 5034)
You may not believe this, but I've never heard this before. Not very good.
Don't like the steel guitar. My price guide shows "Charcoal Suit" as the side.
You might like the "Charcoal Suit" side better. I'll post it when I
get done with this response
Just posted to the usual place!!

Norm Katuna
2006-06-29 03:00:29 UTC
Post by Roger Ford
Continuing our regular weekly look at some of the more memorable and
not quite so memorable records reviewed as NEW RELEASES by "Billboard"
this week in......
Brad Suggs - Bop Baby Bop (Meteor 5034)
You may not believe this, but I've never heard this before. Not very good.
Don't like the steel guitar. My price guide shows "Charcoal Suit" as the side.
You might like the "Charcoal Suit" side better. I'll post it when I
get done with this response
Thanks for the post. It is much butter than the flip you listed first.
Post by Roger Ford
Post by Norm Katuna
Post by Roger Ford
Henry Houston & The Cufflinx - Lawful Wedding (Dooto 438)
Got a vg copy. Nothing great.
I only have a reissue on this credited simply to the Cuff Links. Is
the original credited the way I have it? (and the way BB had it?)
I misfiled my copy and it took me a few days to find it... hence this being done
on Wednesday. Yes, it does show Henry Houston on the first line and then
Cufflinx underneath.
Post by Roger Ford
Post by Norm Katuna
Post by Roger Ford
OK over to you Norm for further comment on the elusive Mr Barrix and
the other records listed here this week!
Atlantic 1000; Gem 207
Clovers???
Yeah, Good Lovin. You know, the original to the Rascals song :-)
Post by Norm Katuna
American International 530; Tune 206; Decca 30933
Whats the American Int???
I show it by the Nightmares and called "The Headless Ghost", but I don't have it
or have I ever seen it..

Norm K
Roger Ford
2006-06-30 12:06:36 UTC
Post by Roger Ford
Continuing our regular weekly look at some of the more memorable and
not quite so memorable records reviewed as NEW RELEASES by "Billboard"
this week in......
Brad Suggs - Bop Baby Bop (Meteor 5034)
You may not believe this, but I've never heard this before. Not very good.
Don't like the steel guitar. My price guide shows "Charcoal Suit" as the side.
You might like the "Charcoal Suit" side better. I'll post it when I
get done with this response
Thanks for the post. It is much butter than the flip you listed first.
I agree with you but "Bop Baby Bop" was the official "A" side
Post by Norm Katuna
Post by Roger Ford
Post by Norm Katuna
Atlantic 1000; Gem 207
Clovers???
Yeah, Good Lovin. You know, the original to the Rascals song :-)
On the subject of the real original to the Rascals (via The
Olympics:-) song do you have the Lemme B.Good original version?
Post by Norm Katuna
Post by Roger Ford
Post by Norm Katuna
American International 530; Tune 206; Decca 30933
Whats the American Int???
I show it by the Nightmares and called "The Headless Ghost", but I don't have it
or have I ever seen it..
Now I know what you mean!!

I have it filed as "Horrors Of The Black Museum" which I think is the
better side. Not the best horror novelty ever but not a bad
performance kinda sub-Coasters thing.

I'll make room for it & no doubt will end up posting both sides :)

BobbyM
Jack G
2006-06-26 08:56:58 UTC
Thanks.

Jack G.
Roger Ford
2006-07-01 13:00:10 UTC
On Sun, 25 Jun 2006 08:46:39 GMT, Roger Ford
Post by Roger Ford
This week's teasers in 9 parts :-
As usual nearly all the correct answers are in the thread responses.
Here's the one I don't remember seeing
Post by Roger Ford
f)
Post by Roger Ford
Chuck Berry - Oh Baby Doll (Chess 1664)
Which 50's rock & roll movie features Chuck performing this number?
"Mister Rock And Roll" (1957)

Mark Dintenfass
2006-07-01 13:52:49 UTC
Post by Roger Ford
This week's teasers in 9 parts :-
As usual nearly all the correct answers are in the thread responses.
Here's the one I don't remember seeing
Post by Roger Ford
f)
Post by Roger Ford
Chuck Berry - Oh Baby Doll (Chess 1664)
Which 50's rock & roll movie features Chuck performing this number?
"Mister Rock And Roll" (1957)
Ahem. Check your notes on this one.
2006-07-01 13:55:45 UTC
On Sat, 01 Jul 2006 08:52:49 -0500, Mark Dintenfass
Post by Roger Ford
This week's teasers in 9 parts :-
As usual nearly all the correct answers are in the thread responses.
Here's the one I don't remember seeing
Post by Roger Ford
f)
Post by Roger Ford
Chuck Berry - Oh Baby Doll (Chess 1664)
Which 50's rock & roll movie features Chuck performing this number?
"Mister Rock And Roll" (1957)
Ahem. Check your notes on this one.
So sorry! :)

That the second week running I did this.

Maybe I need more practice?