Ken Osmond a/k/a "Eddie Haskell" has died
2020-05-18 23:41:40 UTC
"He was 76. His son Eric said the cause was complications of chronic
obstructive pulmonary disease and peripheral arterial disease."

Not music-related but very much a part of 1950s pop culture. He
famously quit acting and became a Los Angeles police officer.
Roger Ford
2020-05-19 14:16:22 UTC
Wasn't he the big tall one of the Osmonds who stood even higher than
Andy Williams?

2020-05-19 15:16:26 UTC
Wasn't he the big tall one of the Osmonds who stood even higher than
Andy Williams?
----------
I was wondering when I posted that whether you (or anyone outside the
US) would know who he was. As Dennis put it so well, he portrayed an
unctuous little maggot on the sitcom "Leave It To Beaver."
It was one of those instances where he was supposed to be on one episode
but the character got such a positive response that they made him a
regular.
It was also one of those instances where he found himself typecast and
unable to sustain an acting career for more than a few years afterwards.
ISTR a "Leave It To Beaver" reunion show at some point where Osmond's
son (mentioned in the obituary) played Eddie Haskell Jr. as a chip off
the old block.
Roger Ford
2020-05-19 15:34:18 UTC
Wasn't he the big tall one of the Osmonds who stood even higher than
Andy Williams?
----------
I was wondering when I posted that whether you (or anyone outside the
US) would know who he was.
Its true what they saty,humour does travel well :)

No,I didn't know him---don't think "Leave It To Beaver" showed here
(cue for "Hooray!!!" ? :)

He did get a mention in the papers here tho--they remembered him
being in "Lassie" which I DO remember seeing but he only had a couple
of bit parts in that---after the dog,freckle faced Tommy Rettig was
the star,right?

2020-05-19 17:23:14 UTC
Wasn't he the big tall one of the Osmonds who stood even higher than
Andy Williams?
----------
I was wondering when I posted that whether you (or anyone outside the
US) would know who he was.
Its true what they saty,humour does travel well :)
No,I didn't know him---don't think "Leave It To Beaver" showed here
(cue for "Hooray!!!" ? :)
He did get a mention in the papers here tho--they remembered him
being in "Lassie" which I DO remember seeing but he only had a couple
of bit parts in that---after the dog,freckle faced Tommy Rettig was
the star,right?
----------
No, the show with Tommy Rettig and Jan Clayton was called "Jeff's
Collie." "Lassie" was a few years later and I don't remember who was in it.
Dennis C
2020-05-19 18:18:30 UTC
"Jeff's Collie" was the title when the original "Lassie" went into syndication.

"Lassie" continued with Jon Provost as Timmy and June Lockhart as the new mum!!
Roger Ford
2020-05-19 20:15:55 UTC
"Jeff's Collie" was the title when the original "Lassie" went into syndication.
"Lassie" continued with Jon Provost as Timmy and June Lockhart as the new mum!!
Thanks Dennis!

"Lassie" played on TV here for years and 'twas always Tommy Rettig up
front

You look very nice today, Mrs. Cleaver!
Dennis C
2020-05-19 14:57:59 UTC
He DID play that unctuous little maggot to perfection!!
RWC
2020-05-19 17:44:07 UTC
You look very nice today, Mrs. Cleaver!
As Diane says, Ken Osmond went on to be a police officer for 18 years,
joining the LAPD in 1970. And, before that, Ken had joined the Army
Reserve near the end of his acting role in "Leave It To Beaver".

"Leave It To Beaver" ran for six seasons, in a total of 234
episodes... from Oct 4, 1957 to 1963, starring:
0:49

Ken Osmond, as "Eddie Haskill", is remembered as an unctuous, i.e. an
insincere flatterer, in "Leave It To Beaver". But in this role, he has
also been recognized as a closet rebel, who behind peoples backs was
full of subversive defiance.
YourGoldenRetriever