Obscure 1950s Era Recordings - May Preliminary Round - Group 8
2020-05-09 13:41:04 UTC

No Greater Love - Billy 'The Kid' Emerson

Marked Deck - Mercy Baby

Sweet Love - Penguins

Magic Mirror - The Empires

There's No Need To Cry - The Five Blind Boys

SavoyBG
2020-05-09 13:41:40 UTC

1. There's No Need To Cry - The Five Blind Boys
2. Marked Deck - Mercy Baby
3. Magic Mirror - The Empires
4. No Greater Love - Billy 'The Kid' Emerson
5. Sweet Love - Penguins
Steve Mc
2020-05-09 14:08:17 UTC
1. Sweet Love - Penguins

2. Marked Deck - Mercy Baby

3. No Greater Love - Billy 'The Kid' Emerson

4. There's No Need To Cry - The Five Blind Boys

5. Magic Mirror - The Empires

2020-05-09 14:00:51 UTC
RANKINGS

1. No Greater Love - Billy ‘The Kid’ Emerson
2. There's No Need To Cry - The Five Blind Boys
3. Sweet Love - Penguins
4. Marked Deck - Mercy Baby
5. Magic Mirror - The Empires
Jim Colegrove
2020-05-09 14:04:19 UTC
1. Marked Deck - Mercy Baby

2. Magic Mirror - The Empires

3. There's No Need To Cry - The Five Blind Boys

4. Sweet Love - Penguins

5. No Greater Love - Billy 'The Kid' Emerson
Roger Ford
2020-05-09 14:18:46 UTC
Marked Deck - Mercy Baby - 9
Magic Mirror - The Empires - 7
Sweet Love - Penguins - 7
There's No Need To Cry - The Five Blind Boys - 6
No Greater Love - Billy 'The Kid' Emerson - 6

2020-05-09 14:25:11 UTC
No Greater Love - Billy 'The Kid' Emerson
http://youtu.be/ya40kfrXbWY
Recorded May 31 1955 at 706 Union Ave Memphis : Billy Emerson
(vcl/pno);Calvin Newborn (gtr);Kenneth Banks (bs);Phineas Newborn
(dms);Jewell Briscoe (ten sax);Moses Reed (ten sax). Released a month
later as the flip to his original "Red Hot" (more famously revived
later on Sun by rockabilly artist Billy Riley). This one doesn't do
much for me sorry
Post by SavoyBG
Marked Deck - Mercy Baby
http://youtu.be/9b0l21SimpI
Mercy Baby (aka Jimmy Mullins) here with the topside of his first
record on Ace in 1957. The flipside "Rock And Roll Baby" won the
February tournament for me so I'm taking a leaf out of Lou Christie's
book and seeing if lightnin' strikes---twice!

And once again,as well as supplying terrific vocals our hero is also
on drums and has a totally smokin' band behind him (that includes
Frankie Lee Sims on guitar)
Post by SavoyBG
Sweet Love - Penguins
http://youtu.be/e7ESjola7Nw
"Here's a good wild type side with lots of noise.Lead man shouts out
the message with plenty of activity by the group in the backing.This
has a driving quality that could go. Worth spins" ( so sayeth
Billboard : January 13 1958)
Post by SavoyBG
Magic Mirror - The Empires
http://youtu.be/WeR6D_UijJo
Now this I like! From 1955 and on the Harlem label of NYC here's a
very decent r&b group ballad featuring one "Johnny Ace Jr"(actually
lead Johnny "Buddy" Barnes). The rest of the group comprised Les
Cooper (tenor) William Goodman (bass) and Bobby Dunn (baritone). IMO
their best record came a little later (again on Harlem)---backing
"Lightning Junior" (actually Jack Dupree) on a great blues "Somebody
Changed The Lock"
Post by SavoyBG
There's No Need To Cry - The Five Blind Boys
http://youtu.be/SQzbj9ydzMY
"Archie Brownlee and the Five Blind Boys blend beautifully on a lovely
melodic gospel item.Tender chanting of a slow moving tune. Brownlee is
tops as he handles the lead" (Cash Box review of Peacock 1760 : June
30 1956)

Early returns look good. I wonder if we've ever had both sides of the same single get in the tournament before.
Dennis C
2020-05-09 14:31:04 UTC
1- The Empires

2- The Penguins

3- Mercy Baby

4- Five Blind Boys of Mississipi

5- Billy "the kid" Emerson
Mark Dintenfass
2020-05-09 14:58:59 UTC
Magic Mirror - The Empires
Marked Deck - Mercy Baby
Sweet Love - Penguins
2020-05-09 15:32:07 UTC
The first four were really hard to rank for me. I like them all.

I regard Billy The Kid Emerson as a very underrated artist, but this
particular recording has "B-side" written all over it.

1-Magic Mirror - The Empires
2-Marked Deck - Mercy Baby
3-Sweet Love - Penguins

Rick Schubert
2020-05-09 16:28:36 UTC
1. Sweet Love - Penguins
2. Magic Mirror - The Empires
3. Marked Deck - Mercy Baby
4. No Greater Love - Billy 'The Kid' Emerson
5. There's No Need To Cry - The Five Blind Boys

Very strong group.
SavoyBG
2020-05-09 18:23:19 UTC
FINAL RANKINGS (Same as Ford's ballot)

Marked Deck - Mercy Baby - 34
Magic Mirror - The Empires - 32
Sweet Love - Penguins - 29
There's No Need To Cry - The Five Blind Boys - 23

No Greater Love - Billy 'The Kid' Emerson - 17

Roger's Mercy baby gets off to a great start winning this group. <ark finally has a real good round here taking second with the Empires. Rick's Penguins takes third and my gospel screamer takes 4th. Carl's Kid is going home.