Obscure 1950s Era Recordings - March 2021 - Round 1 - Group 5
2021-03-14 10:29:14 UTC
2021-03-14 14:20:14 UTC

2021-03-14 14:21:01 UTC

2021-03-14 14:48:32 UTC

2021-03-14 14:30:09 UTC
4-Seventh Son - Willie Mabon
Sav...@aol.com
2021-03-14 14:39:04 UTC
1-Raw Deal - Junior Thompson
2-Ain't Got No Home - Clarence Henry
3-That's Right - Carl Perkins
4-Seventh Son - Willie Mabon
Who hijacked Dian's account?

No way she's putting an odd rockabilly record first and a great blues record last. No to mention that odd rockabilly record beating out a New Orleans classic and a record by a her favorite rockabilly act.
DianeE
2021-03-14 14:52:49 UTC
1-Raw Deal - Junior Thompson
2-Ain't Got No Home - Clarence Henry
3-That's Right - Carl Perkins
4-Seventh Son - Willie Mabon
Who hijacked Dian's account?
No way she's putting an odd rockabilly record first and a great blues record last. No to mention that odd rockabilly record beating out a New Orleans classic and a record by a her favorite rockabilly act.
-----------
I never particularly liked "Seventh Son"...by anyone. Don't *dislike*
it, just not a favorite.
Roger Ford
2021-03-14 14:35:30 UTC
The strongest group yet............

Ain't Got No Home - Clarence Henry
Raw Deal - Junior Thompson
Seventh Son - Willie Mabon
That's Right - Carl Perkins

2021-03-14 14:46:52 UTC
Raw Deal - Junior Thompson
http://youtu.be/4cqVyUCL0FM
That's Right - Carl Perkins
http://youtu.be/XV3yiMHlOc8
Ain't Got No Home - Clarence Henry
http://youtu.be/pi4WYW_a4jQ
Seventh Son - Willie Mabon
http://youtu.be/yx8Q42szBKQ
It probably won't matter, but the above Carl Perkins link doesn't work.
This one does.

http://youtu.be/XV3yiMHlOc8

2021-03-14 14:57:47 UTC
On Sun, 14 Mar 2021 07:46:52 -0700, Steve Mc
Post by Steve Mc
That's Right - Carl Perkins
http://youtu.be/XV3yiMHlOc8
It probably won't matter, but the above Carl Perkins link doesn't work.
This one does.
http://youtu.be/XV3yiMHlOc8
There doesn't seem to be anyplace online that plays the UK (edited)
version of this Carl Perkins number. And I sold my London copy of the
record on eBay some while ago

2021-03-14 15:03:03 UTC
On Sun, 14 Mar 2021 07:46:52 -0700, Steve Mc
Post by Steve Mc
That's Right - Carl Perkins
http://youtu.be/XV3yiMHlOc8
It probably won't matter, but the above Carl Perkins link doesn't work.
This one does.
http://youtu.be/XV3yiMHlOc8
There doesn't seem to be anyplace online that plays the UK (edited)
version of this Carl Perkins number. And I sold my London copy of the
record on eBay some while ago
What did they do, edit out "Mr. Bell's Telephone?"

I noticed who wrote the song and I looked for a version of the song by Johnny Cash. Doesn't seem to be one, but this came up.

Roger Ford
2021-03-14 16:58:08 UTC
On Sun, 14 Mar 2021 07:46:52 -0700, Steve Mc
Post by Steve Mc
That's Right - Carl Perkins
http://youtu.be/XV3yiMHlOc8
It probably won't matter, but the above Carl Perkins link doesn't work.
This one does.
http://youtu.be/XV3yiMHlOc8
There doesn't seem to be anyplace online that plays the UK (edited)
version of this Carl Perkins number. And I sold my London copy of the
record on eBay some while ago
What did they do, edit out "Mr. Bell's Telephone?"
They edited out the entire last verse which ends "it's gonna be rough
when I catch that booger.." ---sufficently like the British swear word
"bugger" (which means exactly what you think it does)
Post by ***@aol.com
I noticed who wrote the song and I looked for a version of the song by Johnny Cash. Doesn't seem to be one, but this came up.
http://youtu.be/Y47LVB_8TNg
Don't think thats Cash :-(

2021-03-14 17:24:58 UTC
On Sun, 14 Mar 2021 07:46:52 -0700, Steve Mc
Post by Steve Mc
That's Right - Carl Perkins
http://youtu.be/XV3yiMHlOc8
It probably won't matter, but the above Carl Perkins link doesn't work.
This one does.
http://youtu.be/XV3yiMHlOc8
There doesn't seem to be anyplace online that plays the UK (edited)
version of this Carl Perkins number. And I sold my London copy of the
record on eBay some while ago
What did they do, edit out "Mr. Bell's Telephone?"
They edited out the entire last verse which ends "it's gonna be rough
when I catch that booger.." ---sufficently like the British swear word
"bugger" (which means exactly what you think it does)
Had to look it up. Got this:

Bugger or buggar can at times be considered as a mild swear word. In the United Kingdom the term has been used commonly to imply dissatisfaction, refer to someone or something whose behaviour is in some way inconvenient or perhaps as an expression of surprise.

Another one mentioned sodomy as in anal intercourse. Is it a slang term for gay?

I mean, you guys have plenty of good terms for that, like left footer and batty boy.
I noticed who wrote the song and I looked for a version of the song by Johnny Cash. Doesn't seem to be one, but this came up.
http://youtu.be/Y47LVB_8TNg
Don't think thats Cash :-(
Sounds like him.

Jim Colegrove
2021-03-14 14:59:56 UTC
1. Raw Deal - Junior Thompson

2. That's Right - Carl Perkins

3. Ain't Got No Home - Clarence Henry

4. Seventh Son - Willie Mabon
md
2021-03-14 15:05:54 UTC

2021-03-14 15:16:46 UTC
1. Seventh Son - Willie Mabon
2. Raw Deal - Junior Thompson
3. Ain't Got No Home - Clarence Henry
4. That's Right - Carl Perkins
Rick Schubert
2021-03-14 15:44:29 UTC
1. Seventh Son - Willie Mabon
4. Raw Deal - Junior Thompson
Dennis C from Tennessee
2021-03-14 16:08:32 UTC
1- Carl Perkins

2- Willie Mabon

3- Junior Thompson

4- Clsence Henry
Sav...@aol.com
2021-03-14 16:33:11 UTC

1. Raw Deal - Junior Thompson - 24 (5-4)
2. Ain't Got No Home - Clarence Henry - 24

3. Seventh Son - Willie Mabon - 23
4. That's Right - Carl Perkins - 19

In the spirit of this contest's name, the most obscure item here wins the group. Diane Raw wins the group in a 5-4 tie breaker over Roger's Frogger. Carl's 7 misses by one point and Steve's CP was wrong.