Obscure 1950s Recordings Tournament - June - Cusp Edition (1960-1963)
2019-06-01 12:49:25 UTC
Okay, June is here and it's tournament time. Lists are in for 11 people. I'll give it a day in case Geoff or anybody new wants to get in. Here are the items that are in so far.

STEVE

I Feel So Good - J B Lenoir

Let's Go Home - Staple Singers

Travelling Mood - Snooks Eaglin

Fannie Mae is Back - B. Brown and his Rockin' McVouts

BOB

Patsy Cline - Faded Love

Sam Cooke - Somebody Have Mercy

Everly Brothers - Just in Case

Buddy Guy - First Time I Met The Blues

BILL

Chi Chi Merengue - Eloise Trio

I Love You, I Love You So-O-O - Hank Ballard and the Midnighters

Been A Long Time - Five Quails

Rosetta - Five Keys

RICK

Please Don't Cheat On Me - Sinceres - Richie 545 - 1961

Because Of You - Dreamers - Cousins 1005 - 1962

Please Write - Tokens - Laurie 3180 - 1963

Do You Have The Right - Scotchtones - Rus-Tone 1402 - 1960

CARL

Muddy Waters - Look What You've Done - Chess 1758 - 1960

Carol Fran - One More Chance - Excello 2175 - 1960

Otis Redding - Something Is Worrying Me - Volt 112 - 1963

James Brown & The Famous Flames - And I Do Just What I Want - King 5423 - 1960

FRANK

You Know My Love - Otis Rush

My Last Dance With You - Nathaniel Mayer

True Love Never Dies - Allen Orange

Oogsey Moo - Jessie Hill

JIM

This Wonderful Girl of Mine - Little Woo Woo

Driveway Blues - Ben Harper - Talent

New Kind of Love - Willie Harper - Alon

Ride This Train - The Gospelairs - Peacock

MARK

Bo Diddley, Let Me In (1960)

Clyde McPhatter I do Believe 1962

Brenda Lee - Just A Little (1960)

Gary (U.S.) Bonds I Dig This Station 1962

DIANE

Shep & The Limelites: Gee Baby What About You

The Solitaires: The Time Is Here

Lester Young: Wobble Time

Bennie Gordon & The Soul Brothers: Camel Walk

ROGER

Bobby Darin - She's Tanfastic! - Atco Special Premium Record - 1960

H-Bomb Ferguson - Mary Little Mary - Federal 12411 - 1961

Jimmy Evans - The Joint's Really Jumpin' - Clearmont 502 - 1962

Doctor Ross - New York Breakdown - Hi-Q 5033 - 1963

BRUCE

Oye Como Va - Tito Puente

My Song - Little Milton

Stop Your Crying - Five Keys

Doctor Brown - Buster Brown

2019-06-01 19:08:16 UTC
BILL
I Love You, I Love You So-O-O - Hank Ballard and the Midnighters
http://youtu.be/YhXUhdIaMJE
-------------
From the El Dorados to Joe Weaver & The Don Juans to Hank Ballard.
Nothing wrong with that, but I guess Bill exceeded his originality score
with "Chi Chi Merengue."
Bill B
2019-06-01 19:46:10 UTC
BILL
I Love You, I Love You So-O-O - Hank Ballard and the Midnighters
http://youtu.be/YhXUhdIaMJE
From the El Dorados to Joe Weaver & The Don Juans to Hank Ballard.
Nothing wrong with that, but I guess Bill exceeded his originality score
with "Chi Chi Merengue."
You are correct. Nothing wrong with that. I said I sometimes think less of a record if it lacks originality. That is not the case with this one, a clear remake of a song from a number of years earlier. And an improvement in my estimation. Wait, there is something wrong here, Hank Ballard taking writing credit.

Wait till you see the originality of one of my July picks. :-)
Bill B
2019-06-01 21:24:38 UTC
Wait till you see the originality of one of my July picks. :-)
Actually, I can't speak to its originality. A better word would be uniqueness.