Bob Shane, Kingston Trio, 85
2020-01-28 00:49:53 UTC
Unconfirmed but from a reliable source...

Bob Shane, the last surviving original member of the Kingston Trio, passed away yesterday at age 85. There were other folk groups before them and they were profoundly influenced by the Weavers, but it was the Kingston Trio who majorly set the wheels in motion for the full scale folk revival which had its first rumblings in the late '50s and exploded full force in the early '60s. Had it not been for the Kingston Trio, Joan Baez and Bob Dylan would still have happened but they wouldn't have achieved such massive fame as soon as they did if the KT hadn't paved the way. There are many folk purists and other hard core folkies who have nothing good to say about the Trio, but they were at one time the world's #1 singing group. Bob Dylan said more than once that he always liked the Kingston Trio and acknowledged them as an influence. After the Trio disbanded in 1967, Bob Shane was the first to record Bobby Russell's classic tearjerker "Honey", but it wasn't promoted well and it sank without a trace. Later, Bobby Goldsboro had a big hit with it. Thinking his solo career wasn't going anywhere, Bob Shane assembled a new Kingston Trio and carried on with different configurations of the group until his retirement several years ago. Another legend gone.
t***@iwvisp.com
2020-01-28 01:24:00 UTC
From BLITZ Magazine...

In the late hours of 26 January with the death of iconic composer, vocalist, multi-instrumentalist, actor, author, musicologist, visionary and Hilo, Hawaii native Robert Castle "Bob Shane" Schoen.

As co-founder and last surviving member of the original Kingston Trio, Shane's contributions to the world of music cannot be overstated. Although they were preceded in their collective mission statement by the Almanac Singers, Leadbelly, the Weavers, the Tarriers and the Easy Riders, the Kingston Trio pretty much spearheaded the folk music (and ultimately folk rock) boom that brought the world the likes of the Highwaymen, the Brothers Four, the Journeymen, Peter, Paul And Mary and countless others of similar intent. In turn, their extraordinary vision inspired the folk rock and country rock of Rick Nelson, Brian Hyland, the Lovin' Spoonful, the Monkees, the Turtles, the Byrds, the International Submarine Band and the Dillards, as well as such like minded and prolific greats as Abba and composer/vocalist Bill Mumy.

In turn, the Kingston Trio is rivaled perhaps only by the Ventures in terms of the sheer volume of musicians who have professed to learned the guitar after being inspired by their music. Like the Ventures, the Kingston Trio also produced instructional records which guided the listener/student through basic guitar lessons, drawn from highlights of their catalogue.

To be certain, theirs is a catalog with few peers in all of music. Beginning in the late 1950s as Dave Guard and the Calypsonians, the group underwent a series of personnel changes, becoming the Kingston Trio in 1957. In tandem with their enormously successful and lengthy residence at San Francisco's hungry i club, the Kingston Trio signed with Capitol Records. Their self-titled 1958 debut for the label is a sublime showcase for some of the folk genre's definitive masterpieces, including Hard Ain't It Hard, Banua, Bay Of Mexico, Coplas, Three Jolly Coachmen, Scotch And Soda, Fast Freight and their monster classic second single, Tom Dooley.

The Kingston Trio's astounding streak in the studio continued unabated well into the mid-1960s, with numerous landmark releases for Capitol and Decca. In turn, the group was second to none in a live setting. Between 1957 and 1967, the Kingston Trio recorded several groundbreaking concert albums, highlighted by their definitive masterpiece, Once Upon A Time, recorded in July 1966 but not released until 1969 on the Tetragrammaton label.

Both the Once Upon A Time album and the band's 1958 Capitol debut were saluted by Blitz Magazine as being among the best albums of the twentieth century. Likewise, their sublime 1959 A Worried Man 45 for Capitol was in a multi-single tie (along with Bing Day's I Can't Help It, Travis And Bob's Tell Him No and the Bell Notes' I've Had It) for Blitz Magazine's pick for best single of that most crucial musical year. Ultimately, the Kingston Trio were honored by Blitz Magazine as one of the five top bands of the twentieth century, alongside the Monkees, the Beach Boys, Herman's Hermits and the Guess Who.

Among the countless blessings in Blitz Magazine's history, one of the absolute highlights has been our ongoing relationship with the members of the Kingston Trio. In the early 1980s, Blitz Magazine reached out to band co-founder Donald David "Dave" Guard, who at the time was embarking upon a new career as a magazine editor, while continuing to record occasionally as a solo artist. Guard (who had left the band in 1961 to found Dave Guard And The Whiskey Hill Singers) had participated in a Kingston Trio reunion in 1981, and professed encouragement for Blitz Magazine's ongoing support of his endeavors. Tragically, his vision was cut short in March 1991 with his passing from lymphatic cancer at age 56.

While our association with Guard's successor in the Kingston Trio was brief, his legacy was enormous in its own right. First rising to prominence as a member of the Kingston Trio-inspired Cumberland Three (who recorded for Morris Levy's Roulette Records), John Coburn Stewart composed a few songs for the Kingston Trio before succeeding Guard in the group on banjo and as co-lead vocalist. Stewart's remarkable gift for humor was evidenced in abundance on the aforementioned Once Upon A Time album, while his extraordinary acumen as a composer is showcased brilliantly in both the Monkees' Daydream Believer and the Lovin' Spoonful's Never Going Back.

Blitz's lone encounter with Stewart came at the Palomino Club in North Hollywood, California in the early 1980s. The current incarnation of the Kingston Trio (which at the time included Bob Shane, long time member George Grove and the late Roger Gambill) was headlining, and Stewart was on hand to cheer on their performance. After brief introductions, Blitz Magazine and Stewart were engaged in a spirited conversation about the band's phenomenal catalog, when a long time friend that Stewart had not seen in decades approached him and understandably commanded his attention for the duration of the evening. That friend was retired Mercury astronaut Scott Carpenter.

And while the Kingston Trio underwent a few changes in the months immediately following Roger Gambill's unexpected passing from a heart attack at age 42 in March 1985, they were soon to stabilize once again with one of the strongest line ups in their history. Back on board with Bob Shane and George Grove was band co-founder Nicholas Wells "Nick" Reynolds.

A remarkably gifted humorist, world class vocalist (his is the lead vocal on the band's landmark 1959 M.T.A. single) and devout musicologist, Reynolds pursued other interests when the band embarked upon a brief sabbatical in 1967, including seasons as an antiques curator and professional tennis player. His return to the band in 1988 marked one of the most memorable and endearing phases of their legacy.

In the mid-1990s, Capitol Records issued an acclaimed four CD box set chronicling the highlights of the Kingston Trio's affiliation with the label, which also included a number of heretofore unreleased tracks. Reynolds served as the band's liaison for media relations with respect to that release, and spoke at great length with Blitz Magazine about that project, as well as the band's overall legacy.

Sadly, ill health forced Reynolds' retirement from the band at the close of 1999. He was briefly replaced in the line up by Bob Haworth, who had worked with Bill, Brett and Mark Hudson in the late 1960s as a member of the New Yorkers. Nonetheless, Reynolds and Stewart continued to participate in the acclaimed Kingston Trio Fantasy Camp during the early years of the twenty-first century.

Tragically, Reynolds succumbed to his long term illnesses on 01 October 2008 at age 75. Ironically, just months earlier, he had enjoyed one final evening in the company of John Stewart, just hours prior to Stewart's death on 19 January 2008 at age 68.

On the evening of Reynolds' passing, Blitz Magazine had the difficult task of contacting Dave Guard's son, composer, vocalist, filmmaker and recording artist (the acclaimed Shy River album), Tom Guard to advise him of the tragedy. Tom Guard remains a long time confidante and dear friend of Blitz Magazine.

All of which should have left Bob Shane as the last active original member of the Kingston Trio. However in 2004, Shane suffered a heart attack at age seventy, while on tour with the band. His illness forced his retirement from the road, though he continued to participate in the band's ongoing studio activities and oversaw their ongoing and staggeringly prolific live performance itinerary from his Arizona headquarters.

As the first decade of the twenty-first century drew to a close, Shane turned his attention towards making available various heretofore unreleased tracks by the band. They included a number of acclaimed CD releases for the now defunct Collectors Choice label, as well as a collection of independently issued rarities chronicling the band's earliest demos and rehearsal tapes. Through it all, Shane graciously kept Blitz Magazine in the loop on each succeeding project, each of which were the subjects of extensive and glowing documentation and review on this end.

"Blitz Magazine rocks!", Shane said on more than one occasion; an affirmation that in and of itself more than made this ongoing labor of love worthwhile.

Although Shane's enthusiasm for his work continued unabated well into the second decade of the twenty-first century, like his colleagues, he was also plagued by steadily declining health. A stroke had further curtailed his activities a couple of years ago, although he kept the faithful apprised on social media and devoted much of his time and attention to his wife, Bobbie and his family. Most heartbreakingly, Shane finished his race during the evening of 26 January, just six days from what would have been his eighty-sixth birthday.

Many have gone on at great length about the impact of the Kingston Trio on their own work. Most notably, the Monkees in 1967 covered the Kingston Trio's Guardo El Lobo, retitling it Riu Chiu in the process. The Fireballs' late 1967 Atco label monster classic, Bottle Of Wine was taken from the Kingston Trio's 1965 Stay Awhile album for Decca. The Beach Boys' drew from the Kingston Trio's version of Sloop John B and turned it into a substantial hit single in 1966. Shane's 1968 solo single, Honey for Decca (recorded during the band's brief sabbatical) was covered weeks later and turned into a massive hit by Bobby Goldsboro. Good News from the Kingston Trio's 1959 At Large album for Capitol became a frequently covered standard in the world of Gospel music. And the aforementioned Bill Mumy even recorded a tribute album to the band for Karl Anderson's Global Recording Artists label.

But perhaps few tributes paid the Kingston Trio (and Bob Shane in particular) were as fitting as one said to have come from the so-called Chairman Of The Board, Frank Sinatra. When asked to comment on some of his favorite recordings, Sinatra cited (among others), the Kingston Trio's aforementioned Scotch And Soda, which eventually saw release as a single in 1962, four years after its debut on the band's first album.

With the band's Dave Guard credited as composer, Scotch And Soda is for all practical purposes a Bob Shane solo track. Arguably also the band's signature single, Scotch And Soda was their most requested number in live settings, with Shane's husky baritone soaring in a manner that few have equaled. When asked why he never recorded the piece himself, Sinatra is said to have commented that Shane's version was so perfect that there was nothing that he (Sinatra) could do to enhance or improve upon it.

And with Shane's passing comes the end of one of the most storied, impacting inspirational and influential careers in the history of recorded music. The Kingston Trio's contributions continue to be held in the highest esteem not only at Blitz Magazine, but by the millions worldwide who via their support assured the Kingston Trio their place in the upper echelons of music overall.

In the words of one of the standout tracks from the band's 1964 live Back In Town album, Farewell Captain. And thank you for your service.
Dean F.
2020-01-28 08:39:06 UTC

This is a joke, right?
Eric Ramon
2020-01-28 21:54:01 UTC
<< Both the Once Upon A Time album and the band's 1958 Capitol debut were saluted by Blitz Magazine as being among the best albums of the twentieth century. Likewise, their sublime 1959 A Worried Man 45 for Capitol was in a multi-single tie (along with Bing Day's I Can't Help It, Travis And Bob's Tell Him No and the Bell Notes' I've Had It) for Blitz Magazine's pick for best single of that most crucial musical year. Ultimately, the Kingston Trio were honored by Blitz Magazine as one of the five top bands of the twentieth century, alongside the Monkees, the Beach Boys, Herman's Hermits and the Guess Who. >>
This is a joke, right?
I missed that. Thanks for highlighting that bit. I like the Kingston Trio. I've got several albums of theirs. But...

"In turn, the Kingston Trio is rivaled perhaps only by the Ventures in terms of the sheer volume of musicians who have professed to learn the guitar after being inspired by their music."

Going back to "the Monkees....Herman's Hermits..." I guess the guy who runs this site is deliberately excluding the Beatles. Anyway, for me it was Buddy Holly and then the Beatles. But I would think, among folkies, that the Weavers would have been more of an inspiration. Ah well, I could be wrong about that.
Eric Ramon
and I would think Lonnie Donegan was responsible for more kids wanting to play guitar than the Kingston Trio.
BobbyM
That might be a true statement if you move "in the UK" after the word, "kids".
Jim Colegrove
2020-01-29 14:24:01 UTC
On Tue, 28 Jan 2020 18:20:32 -0800 (PST), BobbyM
Post by BobbyM
Post by Eric Ramon
Post by Eric Ramon
Post by Dean F.
[...]
They didn't have that effect on me (I was already playing by then) but
my wife and her three brothers were all in on learning to play guitar
due to the Trio. We were just talking about it yesterday.
DianeE
For me it was Joan Baez!
InTheNeighborhood
2020-01-30 17:29:07 UTC
Hey Diane....Interesting to hear (or read, rather) what Baez says now about the K3 in the pretty damn good write up on Shane & the K3:

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/01/27/arts/music/bob-shane-kingston-trio-dies.html?fbclid=IwAR0qtCN5lbIMSJ1q6kJpdqZ2mUfyS3hWP1Zky8bi1MpN_BDrXVidwnikDok
Dennis C
2020-02-01 11:56:33 UTC
T-Bone Blumenthal us back!!

Next time, bring Skunkly with ya, baby!!
InTheNeighborhood
2020-02-05 22:48:37 UTC
You mean Michael Pungent-Dung (a.k.a. Michael Puny-Dong)? Nein Danke!
Dennis C
2020-02-05 23:40:01 UTC
Hahaha!!

Thomas!! Good to see the passion endures, baby!!!