Question for Jim
2021-01-13 17:04:31 UTC
Jim,

In this Tumbling Tumbleweeds, is what he does from 0:28 and 0:35,
holding drifting, and then seems to come in weirdly have a name ? Or is
it just so different from all the other versions I'm familiar with, that
it just seems out place to me.

Thanks,

Steve

2021-01-13 19:40:16 UTC
On Wed, 13 Jan 2021 09:04:31 -0800, Steve Mc
Post by Steve Mc
Jim,
In this Tumbling Tumbleweeds, is what he does from 0:28 and 0:35,
holding drifting, and then seems to come in weirdly have a name ? Or is
it just so different from all the other versions I'm familiar with, that
it just seems out place to me.
http://youtu.be/BsMOgUfHLx4
Thanks,
Steve
Marty is phrasing the word "drifting" longer than the more familiar
shorter phrasing. It takes adding a bar to the section. The time is
recovered in the following bars.
The section you're referring to here is ('I' is the down beat):

I I I I
Drif-ting a-long with the tumbling..

I I I I I
Drif - - - ting a-long with the tumbling...

Hopefully, that explains it.
Jim Colegrove
2021-01-13 19:47:20 UTC
Post by Steve Mc
Jim,
In this Tumbling Tumbleweeds, is what he does from 0:28 and 0:35,
holding drifting, and then seems to come in weirdly have a name ? Or is
it just so different from all the other versions I'm familiar with, that
it just seems out place to me.
http://youtu.be/BsMOgUfHLx4
Thanks,
Steve
Marty is phrasing the word "drifting" longer than the more familiar
shorter phrasing. It takes adding a bar to the section. The time is
recovered in the following bars.
I I I I
Drif-ting a-long with the tumbling..
I I I I I
Drif - - - ting a-long with the tumbling...
Hopefully, that explains it.
Sorry that's not quite it - this is makes it clearer ( I hope ):

I I I I
Drif-ting a-long with the tumbling tumbleweeds

I I I I I I
Drif - - - ting a-long with the tumbling tumbleweeds
Jim Colegrove
2021-01-13 19:55:35 UTC
Post by Steve Mc
Jim,
In this Tumbling Tumbleweeds, is what he does from 0:28 and 0:35,
holding drifting, and then seems to come in weirdly have a name ? Or is
it just so different from all the other versions I'm familiar with, that
it just seems out place to me.
http://youtu.be/BsMOgUfHLx4
Thanks,
Steve
Marty is phrasing the word "drifting" longer than the more familiar
shorter phrasing. It takes adding a bar to the section. The time is
recovered in the following bars.
I I I I
Drif-ting a-long with the tumbling..
I I I I I
Drif - - - ting a-long with the tumbling...
Hopefully, that explains it.
Ok, missed the third quarter note here in the first example after
"along" (beat goes in the hole before "with"
Post by Jim Colegrove
I I I I
Drif-ting a-long with the tumbling tumbleweeds
I I I I I I
Drif - - - ting a-long with the tumbling tumbleweeds
It's always a challenge without staff paper.
Anyway, you get it.
Dennis C from Tennessee
I get your dri---ft, Jimmy baby!!!
Jim Colegrove
2021-01-14 04:39:46 UTC
Post by Jim Colegrove
I I I I
Drif-ting a-long with the tumbling tumbleweeds
I I I I I I
Drif - - - ting a-long with the tumbling tumbleweeds
It's always a challenge without staff paper.
Anyway, you get it.
I get your dri---ft, Jimmy baby!!!
Yep. It's a real free floater alright.

Steve Mc
2021-01-14 00:05:28 UTC
Post by Jim Colegrove
I I I I
Drif-ting a-long with the tumbling tumbleweeds
I I I I I I
Drif - - - ting a-long with the tumbling tumbleweeds
It's always a challenge without staff paper.
Anyway, you get it.
Thanks for the explanation. I'm glad it was something, because I was
hoping I just wasn't going more crazy. Then I might have to nominate
that 4th Don Feger.