Obscure 1950s Era Recordings - April 2021 Preliminary Round - Group 4
2021-04-05 10:50:23 UTC
2021-04-05 14:12:47 UTC

2021-04-05 14:13:22 UTC

2021-04-05 14:42:42 UTC

3. Jungle Juice - Sticks McGhee

4. Don’t Dog Me - Cyde McPhatter

5. Down On the Farm - Al Franklin Combo

2021-04-05 14:17:37 UTC
Don't Dog Me - Clyde McPhatter - 9
Jungle Juice - Sticks McGhee - 8
Chonnie-On-Chon - James Brown - 8
I'm A Little Mixed Up - Betty James - 8
Down On the Farm - Al Franklin Combo - 6

2021-04-05 14:32:14 UTC
1- Clyde McPhatter

2- Sticks McGee

3- James Brown

4- Betty James

5- Al Franklin Combo
DianeE
2021-04-05 14:34:32 UTC
Wow, what a group. The first 3 are all "10s" for me.

1-Chonnie-On-Chon - James Brown
2-I'm A Little Mixed Up - Betty James
3-Jungle Juice - Sticks McGhee
4-Don’t Dog Me - CLLLLLLLLLyde McPhatter
5-Down On the Farm - Al Franklin Combo
Roger Ford
2021-04-05 14:35:22 UTC
Don't Dog Me - Clyde McPhatter

This one is so good I had included it in my list of April nominees but
Mark got his list to the group first.

It's actually a great old Clyde-led killer Drifters number from their
third session back in 1953 (the session that yielded "Such A Night"
and "Bip Bam") that lay unreleased for years until Atlantic
resurrected it as the flipside of his "Just Give Me A Ring" single in
1960 waaaaaaay after he'd left the label (and not very long before
he'd also be jumping ship again---this time from MGM to Mercury)
Post by ***@aol.com
Down On the Farm - Al Franklin Combo

Not to be confused with the different Big Al Downing classic this
particular "Down On The Farm" was recorded for John Finch's self named
label in Cincinnatti Oh in 1957. The "Leroy Jones" featured is reputed
to be the "Leroy" of the later Leroy & The Drivers
Post by ***@aol.com
I'm A Little Mixed Up - Betty James

Hailing from Baltimore Md. Betty James cut the splendid bluesy "I'm A
Little Mixed Up" in 1961 for the small NYC Cee-Jay label (not to be
confused with Chicago's much more famous Vee Jay)---her record sold
well enough to get noticed by Chess who leased it for national
distribution. Her followup was a sequel of sorts---"I'm Not Mixed Up
Anymore"

Post by ***@aol.com
Jungle Juice - Sticks McGhee

My favorite Sticks record from 1953 is "Head Happy With Wine"----but
of course that's not eligible here. My second favorite 1953 Sticks---
"Jungle Juice"----IS eligible however and is an excellent reworking of
his perennial "Spo-Dee-O-Dee" theme and recorded for King
Post by ***@aol.com
Chonnie-On-Chon - James Brown

Early Soul Brother # 1 in best Little Richard mode!

JAMES BROWN
I Wont Plead No More (Armo, BMI) Federal 12290 -Brown
screams and shouts his way thru this wild and emotional pleader.
The stirring lead is showcased by smooth harmonizing from the
backup group. A strong commercial entry. Flip is "Connie -OnChan,"
(Armo, BMI) an attractive blues rocker.

(Billboard review October 20 1956)

2021-04-05 18:43:07 UTC
Down On the Farm - Al Franklin Combo
http://youtu.be/3DiMaZ4YsJHYE
Not to be confused with the different Big Al Downing classic this
particular "Down On The Farm" was recorded for John Finch's self named
label in Cincinnatti Oh in 1957. The "Leroy Jones" featured is reputed
to be the "Leroy" of the later Leroy & The Drivers
----------------
OMG!!!! I *did* confuse them!!!

And even worse, when I went to listen to this one, I just got a "video
unavailable." So I put this record last without ever having heard it.

I'm a little mixed up....
Sav...@aol.com
2021-04-05 21:01:15 UTC

1. Chonnie-On-Chon - James Brown - 35
2. Jungle Juice - Sticks McGhee - 32
3. Don’t Dog Me - Cyde McPhatter - 31
4. I'm A Little Mixed Up - Betty James - 25

5. Down On the Farm - Al Franklin Combo - 12

Diane's Chonnie wins the group with my Jungle Juice second. Mark's Canine is third. Steve's Mix Up is 4th.

Jim's Al Franklin bought the Farm.
DianeE
2021-04-05 22:14:52 UTC
3. Don’t Dog Me - Cyde McPhatter - 31
------------
Can you please give him back his "L?"

DianeE
2021-04-05 22:12:33 UTC
Down On the Farm - Al Franklin Combo
http://youtu.be/3DiMaZ4YsJHYE
Not to be confused with the different Big Al Downing classic this
particular "Down On The Farm" was recorded for John Finch's self named
label in Cincinnatti Oh in 1957. The "Leroy Jones" featured is reputed
to be the "Leroy" of the later Leroy & The Drivers
----------------
OMG!!!! I *did* confuse them!!!
And even worse, when I went to listen to this one, I just got a "video
unavailable."  So I put this record last without ever having heard it.
I'm a little mixed up....
--------------
Okay, in case anyone else made the same mistake I did...here's a link
that works:

To me the break is the best part of this record. Really outstanding.
Rick Schubert
2021-04-05 15:16:59 UTC
1. Don't Dog Me - Clyde McPhatter
2. Chonnie-On-Chon - James Brown
3. Jungle Juice - Sticks McGhee
4. Down On the Farm - Al Franklin Combo
5. I'm A Little Mixed Up - Betty James
md
2021-04-05 16:20:36 UTC
Don't Dog Me - Clyde McPhatter
Jungle Juice - Sticks McGhee
Chonnie-On-Chon - James Brown
I'm A Little Mixed Up - Betty James
Down On the Farm - Al Franklin Combo

I have a linguistic problem with JB's record, and that's the sounds of th
words he uses for the title and the chorus. Most of fast r'n'r depends on lon
vowels (because they're much easier to extend) and percussive consonant
(because they emphasize the beat). You can test this with almost any famou
r'n'r chorus (though I expect Bruce to respond with exceptions). But J
saddled himself with musically difficult (and, imo, ugly) chorus words. Jus
compare the first stanza with the chorus and you'll see what I mean. It's
good record, but it could have been much better.

2021-04-05 16:29:58 UTC
Don't Dog Me - Clyde McPhatter
Jungle Juice - Sticks McGhee
Chonnie-On-Chon - James Brown
I'm A Little Mixed Up - Betty James
Down On the Farm - Al Franklin Combo
I have a linguistic problem with JB's record, and that's the sounds of the
words he uses for the title and the chorus. Most of fast r'n'r depends on long
vowels (because they're much easier to extend) and percussive consonants
(because they emphasize the beat). You can test this with almost any famous
r'n'r chorus (though I expect Bruce to respond with exceptions).
What about the ALL IMPORTANT lyrics?
md
2021-04-05 17:52:04 UTC
Don't Dog Me - Clyde McPhatter
Jungle Juice - Sticks McGhee
Chonnie-On-Chon - James Brown
I'm A Little Mixed Up - Betty James
Down On the Farm - Al Franklin Combo
I have a linguistic problem with JB's record, and that's the sounds of the
words he uses for the title and the chorus. Most of fast r'n'r depends o
long
vowels (because they're much easier to extend) and percussive consonants
(because they emphasize the beat). You can test this with almost any famous
r'n'r chorus (though I expect Bruce to respond with exceptions).
What about the ALL IMPORTANT lyrics?
C'mon, I never said lyrics were more important than other aspects of a record
And I've often said that the sound of lyrics can be as important--or mor
important--than the meaning. Tutti-fruitti oh rootie! Long u's and o's, thre
nice percussive t's. That beats all those ch's and n's by a mile.

2021-04-05 16:37:07 UTC
1-Chonnie-On-Chon - James Brown
2-I'm A Little Mixed Up - Betty James
3-Don’t Dog Me - Clyde McPhatter