Bobby Lewis, 97
2020-05-01 01:54:56 UTC
(April 30, 2020) It has been years since he was in the major spotlight, but he created an all-time song that virtually defined early 60s Rock and Soul. Today we say a sad goodbye to the great Bobby Lewis, who has died at age 97.

The Indiana native performed as a singer in Indianapolis with the Leo Hines Orchestra, but moved to New York to jumpstart a solo singing career. After a few minor releases, he hit paydirt in 1960 (at age 35) with “Tossin’ and Turnin’,” one of the defining songs of the era. It was a monster recording, topping the charts for nearly two months, and has been recorded by countless other acts over the years – but none bested Lewis’s original.

Lewis hit the chart again a year later with the hit “One Track Mind,” which landed in the top ten, but that became his last major release, as his label, Beltone Records, went out of business. Unfortunately, he was not able to rekindle his career well for his future label, ABC-Paramount.

Despite his limited recording period, Lewis reportedly continued to perform well into his 90s, and was adored by his East Coast audiences.

We only knew him for a couple songs, but what songs they were. Godspeed, Bobby Lewis. Thanks for getting us moving
Dean F.
2020-05-01 04:14:13 UTC
"Tossin' & Turnin'" is a great record, but it hardly defined early soul music.
Roger Ford
2020-05-01 08:58:57 UTC
Post by t***@iwvisp.com
[...]
"Tossin' And Turnin'" was released in February 1961 not in 1960. It
became the #1 best charting single of that year.

And "One Track Mind" wasn't "a year later" than "Tossin' And Turnin'"
---it was the direct followup. "Tossin'" charted in Billboard in April
1961 and "One Track Mind" charted just a few months later in August.

2020-05-02 03:21:24 UTC
*-* On Thu, 30 Apr 2020, at 18:54:56 -0700 (PDT),
*-* In Article <c52c9e00-786a-4705-aa72-***@googlegroups.com>,
*-* ***@iwvisp.com wrote
*-* About Bobby Lewis, 97
Post by t***@iwvisp.com
(April 30, 2020) It has been years since he was in the major
spotlight, but he created an all-time song that virtually defined
early 60s Rock and Soul. Today we say a sad goodbye to the great
Bobby Lewis, who has died at age 97.
The Indiana native performed as a singer in Indianapolis with the
Leo Hines Orchestra, but moved to New York to jumpstart a solo
singing career. After a few minor releases, he hit paydirt in 1960
(at age 35) with "Tossin' and Turnin',"
If he was 35 in 1960 that would make him 95, not 97, when he
died.

There's quite a bit of confusion about his age. Some sources
give his birth date as February 9, 1925, which would make him 95.
Other sources give his birth date as February 17, 1933, which would
make him 87. Nowhere do I find any support for his being 97.

When I saw him in 2007 he claimed to be 82, which would support
95 as his age at his death.

FIDO: 1:132/152
InterNet: ***@surfglobal.net.INVAL (remove the obvious to reply)
t***@iwvisp.com
2020-05-02 05:00:52 UTC
So, I hope you all know that I do not write these posts. They are cut and paste, usually from the first obit I find.

I do enjoy the corrections and updates.

There have long been multiple discrepancies on Bobby’s age. In an interview from last year, which I saw today, he confirmed that he was 94.
YourGoldenRetriever
2020-05-21 23:36:22 UTC
Post by t***@iwvisp.com
[...]
:)RIP Suprrised to find he was that old//