Obscure 1950s Era Recordings - May - Round 1 - Group 1
2020-05-10 13:39:57 UTC

How About It Baby - Emmet Davis

Baby Please Don't Go - Big Maybelle

I Will Return - The Cobras

I Know Your Wig Is Gone - T-Bone Walker

SavoyBG
2020-05-10 13:40:34 UTC

1. Baby Please Don't Go - Big Maybelle
2. I Will Return - The Cobras
3. I Know Your Wig Is Gone - T-Bone Walker
4. How About It Baby - Emmet Davis
Steve Mc
2020-05-10 14:17:53 UTC
1. How About It Baby - Emmet Davis

2. Baby Please Don't Go - Big Maybelle

3. I Will Return - The Cobras

4. I Know Your Wig Is Gone - T-Bone Walker

2020-05-10 13:54:50 UTC

2020-05-10 14:31:03 UTC
Baby Please Don't Go - Big Maybelle
I Know Your Wig Is Gone - T-Bone Walker
How About It Baby - Emmet Davis
I Will Return - The Cobras

After listening to a bunch of Little Richard yesterday, Emmet Davis's
rip-off seems kind of pale.
2020-05-10 15:57:06 UTC
On Sun, 10 May 2020 09:31:03 -0500, Mark Dintenfass
Baby Please Don't Go - Big Maybelle
I Know Your Wig Is Gone - T-Bone Walker
How About It Baby - Emmet Davis
I Will Return - The Cobras
After listening to a bunch of Little Richard yesterday, Emmet Davis's
rip-off seems kind of pale.
It's certainly polarizing the place with some rating it first and some
last.

2020-05-10 16:37:38 UTC
It's like a Brian DePalma film!!

Call it "homage" and a rip-off gets a free pass, baby!!
SavoyBG
2020-05-10 16:52:14 UTC
FINAL RAMNKINGS

Lady and gentlemen (and Dennis), we just had the closest round we have ever had in any of these tournaments.

1. I Will Return - The Cobras - 23 (5-4)
2. Baby Please Don't Go - Big Maybelle - 23

3. I Know Your Wig Is Gone - T-Bone Walker - 22 (5-4)
4. How About It Baby - Emmet Davis - 22

Carl's Cobras and my Big Maybelle tie with the Cobras winning the tie breaker. Then Mark's Walker and Jim's Davis tie with the T-Bone taking the tie breaker. So the Cobras and Maybelle move on.
Rick Schubert
Exactly the same as my ballot, which means that I completely flipped the order.
SavoyBG
No, only because the tie breaker for second would not have gone the right way without your votes. Big Maybelle would still have been second, beating T-Bone on the tie breaker.
DianeE
DianeE
2020-05-10 19:37:55 UTC
Post by Rick Schubert
Post by SavoyBG
FINAL RAMNKINGS
Lady and gentlemen (and Dennis), we just had the closest round we have ever had in any of these tournaments.
1. I Will Return - The Cobras - 23 (5-4)
2. Baby Please Don't Go - Big Maybelle - 23
3. I Know Your Wig Is Gone - T-Bone Walker - 22 (5-4)
4. How About It Baby - Emmet Davis - 22
Carl's Cobras and my Big Maybelle tie with the Cobras winning the tie breaker. Then Mark's Walker and Jim's Davis tie with the T-Bone taking the tie breaker. So the Cobras and Maybelle move on.
Exactly the same as my ballot, which means that I completely flipped the order.
No, only because the tie breaker for second would not have gone the right way without your votes. Big Maybelle would still have been second, beating T-Bone on the tie breaker.
--------------
If Mark had put his own record first, would that crucial one point have
caused it to advance?
SavoyBG
2020-05-10 20:48:45 UTC
Yes, it would have advanced instead of the Big Maybelle.
DianeE
2020-05-10 21:11:25 UTC
----------
Hope you're reading this, Mark!
Mark Dintenfass
2020-05-11 02:54:58 UTC
If Mark had put his own record first, would that crucial one point have
caused it to advance?
Yes, it would have advanced instead of the Big Maybelle.
----------
Hope you're reading this, Mark!
I reading it. So am I supposed to be happy that I was true to my tastes
or sad that I'm such a sap?
The former, don't listen to her. I put my own record last the first time that I won with that Little Joe & the Thrillers record.
DianeE
2020-05-11 03:30:46 UTC
If Mark had put his own record first, would that crucial one point have
caused it to advance?
Yes, it would have advanced instead of the Big Maybelle.
----------
Hope you're reading this, Mark!
I reading it. So am I supposed to be happy that I was true to my tastes
or sad that I'm such a sap?
-----------
The other day you expressed frustration that your nominees kept getting
knocked off. I was trying to show that this one could have been
prevented.
I'm probably more disappointed than you are this time, because I really,
really like that record. It's the "find" of the month for me.
Mark Dintenfass
2020-05-11 12:58:31 UTC
If Mark had put his own record first, would that crucial one point have
caused it to advance?
Yes, it would have advanced instead of the Big Maybelle.
----------
Hope you're reading this, Mark!
I reading it. So am I supposed to be happy that I was true to my tastes
or sad that I'm such a sap?
-----------
The other day you expressed frustration that your nominees kept getting
knocked off. I was trying to show that this one could have been
prevented.
I'm probably more disappointed than you are this time, because I really,
really like that record. It's the "find" of the month for me.
I like it too, obviously. Anyway, my "frustration" was a bit tongue in
cheek even though I'd be happy to find a entry that actually would win
one of these things. I have always liked finding good records that were
new to me, and the "battle" sometimes does that, and that's enough
reason to hang in. I am more amused than annoyed that my two best
nominees this month are now gone while the one I thought the weakest is
still in. De gustibus.
2020-05-11 13:27:28 UTC
Gus Tibus !! Played third base for the St. Louis Browns then later ran a Deli in King of Prussia, PA, baby!!
Roger Ford
2020-05-11 13:47:43 UTC
The wind was so fierce I had to get off de gustibus and walk the rest
of the way home

2020-05-11 15:26:17 UTC
Foreswore the aeolian public transport!!

Nice Pythonesque approach, Raja!!

SavoyBG
2020-05-10 14:32:39 UTC
DIANE'S RANKINGS

1, I Know Your Wig Is Gone - T-Bone Walker
2. I Will Return - The Cobras
3. Baby Please Don't Go - Big Maybelle
4. How About It Baby - Emmet Davis
Carl
2020-05-10 14:58:22 UTC
1. I Will Return - Cobras
2. I Know Your Wig Is Gone - T-Bone Walker
Jim Colegrove
2020-05-10 14:59:57 UTC

4. Baby Please Don't Go - Big Maybelle
Dennis C
2020-05-10 15:26:46 UTC
1- Emmett Davis( ghost of Little Richard is tuggin', baby!!)

2- TBone

3- Big Maybelle

4- Cobras
Rick Schubert
2020-05-10 16:25:02 UTC
1. I Will Return - The Cobras
2. Baby Please Don't Go - Big Maybelle
3. I Know Your Wig Is Gone - T-Bone Walker
4. How About It Baby - Emmet Davis

Yesterday's Preliminary Round Group was better than this one.