Obscure 1950s Recordings Tournament - June - Cusp Edition (1960-1963) - Preliminary Round - Group 11
2019-06-07 12:15:18 UTC

Driveway Blues - Ben Harper

Oogsey Moo - Jessie Hill

The Joint's Really Jumpin' - Jimmy Evans

And I Do Just What I Want - James Brown & The Famous Flames

SavoyBG
2019-06-07 12:24:09 UTC

The Joint's Really Jumpin' - Jimmy Evans - 7
Oogsey Moo - Jessie Hill - 5
Driveway Blues - Ben Harper - 5
And I Do Just What I Want - James Brown & The Famous Flames - 5
Bob Roman
2019-06-07 12:57:28 UTC
1. Jessie Hill
2. Ben Harper
3. Jimmy Evans
4. James Brown

2019-06-07 13:33:50 UTC
Holy shit!!

Early James Brown push back!!

Deam Fiora is tearing up over this fabulous flameout, baby!!
DianeE
2019-06-07 17:08:50 UTC
Holy shit!!
Early James Brown push back!!
Deam Fiora is tearing up over this fabulous flameout, baby!!
-----------
It's not a typical JB record. It sounds like a Little Richard
imitation. (Which, after all, was how his career began.)
Bill B
2019-06-07 12:32:54 UTC
1 The Joint's Really Jumpin' - Jimmy Evans
Post by SavoyBG
http://youtu.be/g5ixq5UYHqg
2 Oogsey Moo - Jessie Hill
Post by SavoyBG
http://youtu.be/7K6ZklhwAng
3 And I Do Just What I Want - James Brown & The Famous Flames
Post by SavoyBG
http://youtu.be/UbqXcATHYQY
4 Driveway Blues - Ben Harper
http://youtu.be/cgnqPgI9-PQ
Carl
2019-06-07 12:46:32 UTC
And I Do Just What I Want
Driveway Blues
Oogsey Moo
The Joint’s Really Jumpin’

Another strong group
Dennis C
2019-06-07 13:31:58 UTC
1- "Oogsy Moo" Jessie Hill's singing is solid and that piano roll cascades right along! Good side!!

2- "And I Do What I Want" I ain't Fanboy Fiora here. Love the spare yet sharp parrys by the backup band to the classic vocal thrusts by Brown!!

3- "The Joint's Really Jumpin" Good tune. Could be second place on another listen. Evans' easy, steady, and unhurried vocals carry this

4- "Driveway Blues" Langorous longing by a dude looking for sn oily place to park that stick shift, baby!!
Mark Dintenfass
2019-06-07 13:47:56 UTC
http://youtu.be/cgnqPgI9-PQ
http://youtu.be/7K6ZklhwAng
http://youtu.be/g5ixq5UYHqg
http://youtu.be/UbqXcATHYQY
Oogsey Moo - Jessie Hill
The Joint's Really Jumpin' - Jimmy Evans
Driveway Blues - Ben Harper
And I Do Just What I Want - James Brown & The Famous Flames

Close calls here, with the New Orleans sound winning out and JB lagging
as he strains his voice searching for that great new style he would
soon discover.
2019-06-07 13:56:59 UTC
1. And I Do Just What I Want - James Brown & The Famous Flames

2.The Joint's Really Jumpin' - Jimmy Evans

3. Driveway Blues - Ben Harper

4. Oogsey Moo - Jessie Hill
Steve Mc
2019-06-07 15:00:57 UTC
1. The Joint's Really Jumpin' - Jimmy Evans

2. Oogsey Moo - Jessie Hill

3. Driveway Blues - Ben Harper

4. And I Do Just What I Want - James Brown & The Famous Flames

Very, very close for me with # 1 & 2

2019-06-07 14:20:45 UTC
The Joint's Really Jumpin' - Jimmy Evans - 8
Driveway Blues - Ben Harper - 7
Oogsey Moo - Jessie Hill - 6
And I Do Just What I Want - James Brown & The Famous Flames - 6

2019-06-07 14:33:26 UTC
The Joint's Really Jumpin' - Jimmy Evans - 8
Arkansas born Evans became bass player for Conway Twitty then later
performed same role for Ronnie Hawkins following which---after several
previous aborted attempts---the above song (written several years
earlier) was his debut solo release in 1962.

It appeared on the Clearmont label in Memphis to which company he'd
been directed by "Haunted House" singer Gene Simmons. Not long
afterwards the record was oddly re-released for unknown reasons on the
Caveman label out of Wolf Lake,Illinois .

But whichever of these releases you played,this really good slice of
rockabilly clearly was "out of its time" ----and belonged in 1956 and
not 1962!!
Post by Roger Ford
Driveway Blues - Ben Harper - 7
The Cincos congregation on this good blues is basically a revised
version of the (Buddy) Harper-(Ted) Brinson Band that made some noise
in 1957 on Specialty with the excellent "Harper's Express"
Post by Roger Ford
Oogsey Moo - Jessie Hill - 6
One of the posters to the YT clip maintains that it is NOT the version
used on the original Minit release.I don't have (and have never had)
that single.

Can anybody PLEASE help out either with mp3 or else a pointer to other
online access to the *proper* version?? Bruce??
#90 on Bruce's current survey of James Brown records released in
November 1960 after switching from Federal to the main King label. It
was released as the flip to JB's version of "The Bells"

2019-06-07 16:20:23 UTC
I have it as a 1956 release, reviewed Jan 12.
Roger Ford
2019-06-07 18:12:25 UTC
The Cincos congregation on this good blues is basically a revised
version of the (Buddy) Harper-(Ted) Brinson Band that made some noise
in 1957 on Specialty with the excellent "Harper's Express"
I have it as a 1956 release, reviewed Jan 12.
Thanks. I'll alter it in my list

2019-06-07 17:16:53 UTC
Oogsey Moo - Jessie Hill - 6
One of the posters to the YT clip maintains that it is NOT the version
used on the original Minit release.I don't have (and have never had)
that single.
Can anybody PLEASE help out either with mp3 or else a pointer to other
online access to the *proper* version?? Bruce??
How reliable in the Charly company? There is on Spotify a Charly compilation of Allen Toussaint productions. Hill's "Oogsey Moo" is on it. If that compilation has the original, then the YouTube link is not it.

2019-06-07 17:39:26 UTC
Need Rick's ballot to finish up, but the James Brown will be out with the other 3 moving on.
Roger Ford
2019-06-07 18:21:33 UTC
On Fri, 7 Jun 2019 10:16:53 -0700 (PDT), Bob Roman
--
Is it this one? (@ 0.20 after studio chatter)

2019-06-07 19:11:38 UTC
On Fri, 7 Jun 2019 10:16:53 -0700 (PDT), Bob Roman
Oogsey Moo - Jessie Hill - 6
One of the posters to the YT clip maintains that it is NOT the version
used on the original Minit release.I don't have (and have never had)
that single.
Can anybody PLEASE help out either with mp3 or else a pointer to other
online access to the *proper* version?? Bruce??
How reliable in the Charly company? There is on Spotify a Charly compilation of Allen Toussaint productions. Hill's "Oogsey Moo" is on it. If that compilation has the original, then the YouTube link is not it.
--
http://youtu.be/ai_iPhzQxDk
----------

Do you guys all know about Jessie Hill's grandson? He's carrying on the
Fred Wesley funk tradition under the name of Trombone Shorty.
Bob Roman
2019-06-07 19:17:57 UTC
http://youtu.be/ai_iPhzQxDk
No. it's structurally more like the YouTube version, with the vocal leading off the song.

The YouTube version is close enough if the other can't be tracked down.

2019-06-07 20:43:59 UTC

1. The Joint's Really Jumpin' - Jimmy Evans - 36
2. Oogsey Moo - Jessie Hill - 34
3. Driveway Blues - Ben Harper - 29

4. And I Do Just What I Want - James Brown & The Famous Flames - 21

James Brown is out.

Gonna wait til tomorrow morning to start the first round. Here is our field of 32:

1. Let's Go Home - Staple Singers - 35
2. One More Chance - Carol Fran - 33
3. The Time Is Here - Solitaires - 32

1. I Feel So Good - J B Lenoir - 32
2. Something Is Worrying Me - Otis Redding -32
3. My Song - Little Milton -31

1. Look What You've Done - Muddy Waters - 40
2. Doctor Brown - Buster Brown - 38
3. Wobble Time - Lester Young - 25

1. Stop Your Crying - Five Keys - 40
2. Travelin' Mood - Ford Eaglin - 37

1. You Know My Love - Otis Rush - 35
2. New Kind of Love - Willie Harper - 31
3. Fannie Mae is Back - B. Brown and his Rockin' McVouts - 31

1. Ride This Train - The Gospelairs - 38
2. Let Me In - Bo Diddley - 35
3. I Love You, I Love You So-O-O - Hank Ballard and the Midnighters - 25

1. My Last Dance With You - Nathaniel Mayer - 41
2. New York Breakdown - Doctor Ross - 28
3. Just In Case - Everly Brothers - 27

1. Gee Baby What About You - Shep & The Limelites - 38
2. Rosetta - Five Keys - 33
3. Please Don't Cheat On Me - Sinceres - 29

1. I Dig This Station - Gary (U.S.) Bonds - 36
2. This Wonderful Girl of Mine - Little Woo Woo - 33
3. She's Tanfastic! - Bobby Darin - 30

1. Been A Long Time - Five Quails - 34
2. Oye Como Va - Tito Puente - 32
3. Somebody Have Mercy - Sam Cooke - 28

Dennis C
2019-06-08 01:57:03 UTC
And the road to the FINAL FOUR commences, baby!!
Carl
2019-06-07 20:46:20 UTC
I think I have a copy from a 4 LP New Orleans comp from the 80’s. I’m not sure if it’s still on my computer. I’ll check when I get home tonight
Roger Ford
2019-06-07 18:43:07 UTC
On Fri, 7 Jun 2019 10:16:53 -0700 (PDT), Bob Roman
Oogsey Moo - Jessie Hill - 6
One of the posters to the YT clip maintains that it is NOT the version
used on the original Minit release.I don't have (and have never had)
that single.
Can anybody PLEASE help out either with mp3 or else a pointer to other
online access to the *proper* version?? Bruce??
How reliable in the Charly company?
From the artists perspective....not very

Jean Luc Young (founder of Charly Records) : "I did
all the hard work compiling and marketing these albums.

Why should the artists get anything?"

2019-06-07 16:25:49 UTC
DianeE
2019-06-07 17:01:53 UTC
-------
From my point of view, you already did:
1-Driveway Blues - Ben Harper

2-Oogsey Moo - Jessie Hill

3-The Joint's Really Jumpin' - Jimmy Evans

4-And I Do Just What I Want - James Brown & The Famous Flames
DianeE
2019-06-07 17:12:15 UTC
Looks like we (not me, but we) may end up with a "white record" moving
on up this month.
Roger Ford
2019-06-07 18:52:19 UTC
Looks like we (not me, but we) may end up with a "white record" moving
on up this month.
It could be an "all-white" Semi Final,no?

Darin,Everlys,Sinceres and the one from this last round :)

2019-06-07 19:09:53 UTC
1. Driveway Blues - Ben Harper
2. The Joint's Really Jumpin' - Jimmy Evans
3. Oogsey Moo - Jessie Hill
4. And I Do Just What I Want - James Brown & The Famous Flames
Rick Schubert
2019-06-07 22:49:46 UTC
The Joint's Really Jumpin' - Jimmy Evans
http://youtu.be/g5ixq5UYHqg
And I Do Just What I Want - James Brown & The Famous Flames
http://youtu.be/UbqXcATHYQY
Am I just imagining things, or do these 2 songs have the same rhythm pattern, at least at their
starts (starting at about 0:05 of "The Joint's Really Jumpin'" and about 0:02 of "And I Do Just
What I Want")? I know that the former has a faster tempo.
Dennis C
2019-06-07 22:59:39 UTC
Pretty close, Ricky and that's why I favor this Brown style before he found his schtick, baby!!
Rick Schubert
Thanks, Dennis. I thought Jim might come in and list 17 songs that have the same pattern. ;)
Jim Colegrove
I'll start working on the list. :)
Jim Colegrove
Evans is a 12 bar pattern, Brown's is a 20.
Rick Schubert
Thanks, Jim.
DianeE
2019-06-08 01:18:30 UTC
Hey, Bruce--before starting Round 1, can you do a recap of the results
and list the 32 entries with the number of points each one got in the
prelims?
SavoyBG
2019-06-08 01:30:40 UTC
That was already done. See my last post before this one. If you were reading the group through Google you would know this already.
Carl
2019-06-08 06:18:26 UTC
Driveway Blues - Ben Harper
http://youtu.be/cgnqPgI9-PQ
Oogsey Moo - Jessie Hill
http://youtu.be/7K6ZklhwAng
The Joint's Really Jumpin' - Jimmy Evans
http://youtu.be/g5ixq5UYHqg
And I Do Just What I Want - James Brown & The Famous Flames
http://youtu.be/UbqXcATHYQY
Can anybody PLEASE help out either with mp3 or else a pointer to other
online access to the *proper* version?? (Oogsey Moo)

My copy of Oogsey Moo is from the 119-track 4-CD compilation Crescent City Soul : Sound of New Orleans 1947-1974. Although it sounds quite close, the twice repeated Oogly Oogly Oogly Moo refrain is a minute from the end instead of 1:30. Other phrases have been moved around or are a little different. This collection has about 24 other Minit recordings from 1960-1963 and I've always assumed they were the original recordings but I guess as Diane says an actual 45 would be the only sure proof. I'm sending Roger a copy in case. It does clock in at 2:43 and which compares well to the label picture 2:44 but so does the youtube copy.
Roger Ford
2019-06-08 09:45:11 UTC
Post by Carl
[...]

Thanks Carl.

Your mp3 may well be the "proper" version but as Diane rightly says
the only way of being 101% sure is with access to the original Minit
single

2019-06-08 15:12:24 UTC
The original version is on THE INSTANT & MINIT STORY on Charley. It`s a 3CD box set. It`s on disc #2 track 10. It`s also on you tube.
Roger Ford
2019-06-08 19:23:28 UTC
The original version is on THE INSTANT & MINIT STORY on Charley. It`s a 3CD box set. It`s on disc #2 track 10. It`s also on you tube.
Can't seem to locate it. Perhaps its restricted here?

Has it been checked against the Minit single?

2019-06-08 22:35:56 UTC
The original version is on THE INSTANT & MINIT STORY on Charley. It`s a 3CD box set. It`s on disc #2 track 10. It`s also on you tube.
Can't seem to locate it. Perhaps its restricted here?
Has it been checked against the Minit single?
Frankie C. told me that.