* $ - NEW THIS WEEK - $ *
2005-11-27 08:21:19 UTC
Continuing our regular weekly look at some of the more memorable and
not quite so memorable records listed and reviewed as NEW RELEASES by
"Billboard" (which because of the approaching season includes an ever
increasing volume of CHRISTMAS records!) this week in......

1953 (Nov 28)

Louis Armstrong - 'Zat You Santa Claus? (Decca 28943)
Fats Domino - Something's Wrong (Imperial 5262)
Faye Adams - I'll Be True (Herald 419)
Marvin & Johnny - Baby Doll (Specialty 479)
Moohah - All Shook Out (Starmaker 501)
The Shadows - Tell Her (Decca 48307)

1954 (Nov 27)

Gayla Peevey - Got A Cold In The Node For Christmas (Columbia 40394)
Gene Henslee - Rockin' Baby (Imperial 8277)
The Solitaires - Chances I've Taken (Old Town 1008)
Charlie & Ray - I Love You Madly (Herald 438)
Arthur Gunter - Baby Let's Play House (Excello 2047)
The Peacheros - Be Bop Baby (Excello 2044)

1955 (Nov 26)

Connie Francis - Are You Satisfied? (MGM 12122)
Bobby Charles - Later Alligator (Chess 1609)
The Leaders - Stormy Weather (Glory 235)
The Three Moods - Stop,Look & Listen (Sarg 124)
Dusty Brown - He Don't Love You (Parrot 820)
The Monarchs - Angels In The Sky (Wing 90040)

1956 (Dec 1)

Pat Boone - Don't Forbid Me (Dot 15521)
The Enchanters - True Love Gone (Coral 61756)
The Youngsters - Christmas In Jail (Empire 109)
Lazy Lester - I'm Gonna Leave You Baby (Excello 2095)
Pat Cordel & Crescents - Darling Come Back (Club 1011)
Hurricane Harry - The Last Meal (Okeh 7074)

1957 (Dec 2)

Jo Ann Campbell - Wait A Minute (Gone 5014)
Joe Turner - Teenage Letter (Atlantic 1167)
Bo Diddley - Say! Boss Man (Checker 878)
Johnny Faire - Bertha Lou (Surf 5019)
Eddie Bond - Love,Love,Love (Mercury 71237)
Alonzo Stewart - I Get The Blues (Athens 703)

1958 (Dec 1)

Chuck Berry - Run Rudolph Run (Chess 1714)
Carole King - Baby Sittin' (ABC-Paramount 9986)
Dean Beard - Egad Charlie Brown (Challenge 59033)
The Five J's - Calypso Jump (Fulton 2454)
The Boptones - I Had A Love (Ember 1043)
The Ivies - Sunshine (Ivy 110)

1959 (Nov 30)

Roy Orbison - Uptown (Monument 412)
Buster Brown - Fannie Mae (Fire 1008)
The Ecuadors - Let Me Sleep Woman (Argo 5353)
Sherry Crane - Winnie The Parakeet (Sun 328)
Malon Hurst - Love Ain't Nothin' But Sorrow (Reed 1035)
Rockin' Bradley - Lookout (Fire 1007)

1960 (Nov 28)

Ricky Nelson - You Are the Only One (Imperial 5707)
Lawrence Welk - Calcutta (Dot 16161)
Nina Simone - Trouble In Mind (Colpix 175)
Jimmy Louis - Your Fool (Phillips International 3565)
Bob Luman - Why Why Bye Bye (Warner Bros 5184)
The Olympics - Dance By The Light Of The Moon (Arvee 5020)

1961 (Nov 27)

Johnny Tillotson - Dreamy Eyes (Cadence 1409)
Danny & The Juniors - Twistin' All Night Long (Swan 4092)
Johnnie Ray & Timi Yuro - I Believe (Liberty 55400)
Ella Fitzgerald - Clap Hands Here Comes Charley (Verve 10241)
Frank Slay - Flying Circle (Swan 4085)
Mimi Roman - Johnny Will (Warner Bros 5245)

1962 (Dec 1)

The Four Seasons - Santa Claus Is Coming To Town (Vee Jay 478)
Gene Pitney - Half Heaven Half Heartache (Musicor 1026)
Tommy Roe - Rainbow (ABC-Paramount 10379)
Sandy Stewart - My Coloring Book (Colpix 669)
The Earls - Remember Then (Old Town 1130)
Steve Alaimo - Every Day I Have To Cry (Checker 1032)

1963 (Nov 30)

The Beach Boys - Little Saint Nick (Capitol 5096)
Ray Charles - That Lucky Old Sun (ABC-Paramount 10509)
Brenda Lee - As Usual (Decca 31570)
Duane Eddy - Son Of Rebel Rouser (RCA 8276)
Conway Twitty - She Loves Me (ABC-Paramount 10407)
Jody Miller - He Walks Like A Man (Epic 5090)

** those so marked I have'nt heard (as far as I know)

Yes,I know some sides as listed may not be the "top sides" as we know
them but they are the sides BB chose to review.

Some of the more interesting and unfamiliar records from this weeks
list will shortly appear as mp3s in the alt.binaries.rock-n-roll group
(see seperate post for details)

This weeks teasers in NINE big parts :-

a) Who had the original versions on these songs?

1. Connie Francis - Are You Satisfied? (MGM 12122)
2. The Monarchs - Angels In The Sky (Wing 90040)
3. Johnnie Ray & Timi Yuro - I Believe (Liberty 55400)
4. Mimi Roman - Johnny Will (Warner Bros 5245)**
5. The Four Seasons - Santa Claus Is Coming To Town (Vee Jay 478)
6. Gene Pitney - Half Heaven Half Heartache (Musicor 1026)
7. Tommy Roe - Rainbow (ABC-Paramount 10379)
8. Sandy Stewart - My Coloring Book (Colpix 669)

** For a while I thought THIS one was the original but the other
version was reviewed a whole month earlier in Billboard....however if
anyone has evidence to the contrary I stand to be corrected

b)
Faye Adams - I'll Be True (Herald 419)
Which very famous white r&r act did their own version of this song?

c)
The Monarchs - Angels In The Sky (Wing 90040)
And which white pop group took this song high into the charts?

d)
Pat Boone - Don't Forbid Me (Dot 15521)
Which very famous 50's performer was this song originally written for?

e)
The Enchanters - True Love Gone (Coral 61756)
These guys followed up a little later with a terrific Christmas record
(that should appear in this listing next week). What's its title?

f)
Pat Cordel & Crescents - Darling Come Back (Club 1011)
Some members of this group later appeared in the lineup of one of the
most famous white doowop groups of the 50's who enjoyed a #1 national
smash hit record. Who were they and what was the big hit?

g)
Hurricane Harry - The Last Meal (Okeh 7074)
"Hurricane Harry" hid the identity of a famous 50's songwriter who was
responsible for penning one of the very biggest rock & roll hits of
the decade. Who is he? And what was trhe giant r&r hit he wrote?

And which famous blues artist several years later came out with his
own version of the above Hurricane Harry song?

h)
The Ecuadors - Let Me Sleep Woman (Argo 5353)
Which very famous 50's rock & roll performer is "moonlighting" on this
record?

i)
Johnny Tillotson - Dreamy Eyes (Cadence 1409)
This was a straight reissue of a much earlier Tillotson record. What
year did it originally come out?

Now its over for the usual response from our resident Californian
commentator and critic in chief who,given his well known fondness for
up tempo vocal group stuff,I'm suprised that I don't remember even
reading anything by him about that terrific Pat Cordel & The Crescents
record that I'd imagine would be right up his street (me? I LOVE all
that stuff too and this is no exception!!)

What say you,Norm?

an extra "b" in my e-mail address (***@bblueyonder.co.uk).
Robert J. Boyne
2005-11-27 09:54:27 UTC
On Sun, 27 Nov 2005 08:21:19 GMT, Roger Ford
Post by Roger Ford
Continuing our regular weekly look at some of the more memorable and
not quite so memorable records listed and reviewed as NEW RELEASES by
"Billboard" (which because of the approaching season includes an ever
increasing volume of CHRISTMAS records!) this week in......
7. Tommy Roe - Rainbow (ABC-Paramount 10379)
Is this the Butlin redcoat chappie's song, Russ Hamilton, me mum's
fave rave?
Pat Boone - Don't Forbid Me (Dot 15521)
Which very famous 50's performer was this song originally written for?

Elvis the Pelvis.

Robert the Realtor.
--
Robert J. Boyne.Sutton Group West Coast Realty.North Vancouver/British Columbia.Cell. 604-644-6973.
" I have the good sense to know that unheard songs are often sweeter".
Home page - http://www.realtor-lower-mainland.com
Roger Ford
2005-11-27 13:31:38 UTC
Post by Roger Ford
Continuing our regular weekly look at some of the more memorable and
not quite so memorable records listed and reviewed as NEW RELEASES by
"Billboard" (which because of the approaching season includes an ever
increasing volume of CHRISTMAS records!) this week in......
7. Tommy Roe - Rainbow (ABC-Paramount 10379)
Is this the Butlin redcoat chappie's song, Russ Hamilton, me mum's
fave rave?
Yes the same twee little song. I was'nt a huge fan of either side of
the Hamilton record even at the time----but I always thought it
strange that the Americans went for the other side over the big UK hit
"We Will Make Love" topside
Post by Robert J. Boyne
Pat Boone - Don't Forbid Me (Dot 15521)
Which very famous 50's performer was this song originally written for?
Elvis the Pelvis.
As recounted on "The Million Dollar Quartet" tapes

an extra "b" in my e-mail address (***@bblueyonder.co.uk).
Jack G
2005-11-27 11:43:13 UTC
Post by Roger Ford
5. The Four Seasons - Santa Claus Is Coming To Town (Vee Jay 478)
Johnny Mercer
Post by Roger Ford
8. Sandy Stewart - My Coloring Book (Colpix 669)
Kitty Kallen
Faye Adams - I'll Be True (Herald 419)
Which very famous white r&r act did their own version of this song?
Same Song Elvis did ?

Jack G.
2005-11-27 13:39:58 UTC
Post by Roger Ford
5. The Four Seasons - Santa Claus Is Coming To Town (Vee Jay 478)
Johnny Mercer
Nope I show an even more famous American showbiz icon introducing the
song & making it famous (and no,its not Jolson)
Post by Jack G
Post by Roger Ford
8. Sandy Stewart - My Coloring Book (Colpix 669)
Kitty Kallen
Yep and I have to confess to secretly liking this rather shlocky and
sentimental song---works best for me in the Dusty Springfield album
version
Post by Jack G
Faye Adams - I'll Be True (Herald 419)
Which very famous white r&r act did their own version of this song?
Same Song Elvis did ?
I was looking for the act that had a single of the song out around the
same time. Not Elvis no

an extra "b" in my e-mail address (***@bblueyonder.co.uk).
Norm Katuna
2005-11-27 12:06:56 UTC
On Sun, 27 Nov 2005 08:21:19 GMT, in rec.music.rock-pop-r+b.1950s, Roger Ford
Post by Roger Ford
Continuing our regular weekly look at some of the more memorable and
not quite so memorable records listed and reviewed as NEW RELEASES by
"Billboard" (which because of the approaching season includes an ever
increasing volume of CHRISTMAS records!) this week in......
a) Who had the original versions on these songs?
1. Connie Francis - Are You Satisfied? (MGM 12122)
Sheb Wooley?
Post by Roger Ford
3. Johnnie Ray & Timi Yuro - I Believe (Liberty 55400)
Frankie Laine?
Post by Roger Ford
8. Sandy Stewart - My Coloring Book (Colpix 669)
Kitty Kallen?
Post by Roger Ford
c)
Post by Roger Ford
The Monarchs - Angels In The Sky (Wing 90040)
And which white pop group took this song high into the charts?
My favorite white group of all-time. The "Sh-boom" boys themselves.
Post by Roger Ford
e)
Post by Roger Ford
The Enchanters - True Love Gone (Coral 61756)
These guys followed up a little later with a terrific Christmas record
(that should appear in this listing next week). What's its title?
Mambo, Santa, Mambo
Post by Roger Ford
f)
Post by Roger Ford
Pat Cordel & Crescents - Darling Come Back (Club 1011)
Some members of this group later appeared in the lineup of one of the
most famous white doowop groups of the 50's who enjoyed a #1 national
smash hit record. Who were they and what was the big hit?
A "Little Star" told me who they were, but I forgot.
Johnny Tillotson - Dreamy Eyes (Cadence 1409)
This was a straight reissue of a much earlier Tillotson record. What
year did it originally come out?
1958

Norm K
Roger Ford
2005-11-27 14:01:31 UTC
Post by Roger Ford
Continuing our regular weekly look at some of the more memorable and
not quite so memorable records listed and reviewed as NEW RELEASES by
"Billboard" (which because of the approaching season includes an ever
increasing volume of CHRISTMAS records!) this week in......
a) Who had the original versions on these songs?
1. Connie Francis - Are You Satisfied? (MGM 12122)
Sheb Wooley?
Yep Wooley had it out in July 1955. His was also on MGM so it''s
another case of a label covering themselves on the same song
Post by Norm Katuna
Post by Roger Ford
3. Johnnie Ray & Timi Yuro - I Believe (Liberty 55400)
Frankie Laine?
Nope the person I show is a lady & I believe (sorry!) she had the
first version of the song
Post by Norm Katuna
Post by Roger Ford
c)
Post by Roger Ford
The Monarchs - Angels In The Sky (Wing 90040)
And which white pop group took this song high into the charts?
My favorite white group of all-time. The "Sh-boom" boys themselves.
Yes.

But who do you show as having the original version?
Post by Norm Katuna
Post by Roger Ford
e)
Post by Roger Ford
The Enchanters - True Love Gone (Coral 61756)
These guys followed up a little later with a terrific Christmas record
(that should appear in this listing next week). What's its title?
Mambo, Santa, Mambo
One of my very favorites!!
Post by Norm Katuna
Post by Roger Ford
f)
Post by Roger Ford
Pat Cordel & Crescents - Darling Come Back (Club 1011)
Some members of this group later appeared in the lineup of one of the
most famous white doowop groups of the 50's who enjoyed a #1 national
smash hit record. Who were they and what was the big hit?
A "Little Star" told me who they were, but I forgot.
Very elegantly if not eloquently put!
Post by Norm Katuna
Johnny Tillotson - Dreamy Eyes (Cadence 1409)
This was a straight reissue of a much earlier Tillotson record. What
year did it originally come out?
1958
Yes originally issued on Cadence in 1958---and not to be confused with
the earlier Youngsters song of that title (the same song that the Four
Preps also did)

an extra "b" in my e-mail address (***@bblueyonder.co.uk).
x***@earthlink.net

Norm Katuna
2005-11-27 13:26:51 UTC
Post by Roger Ford
Continuing our regular weekly look at some of the more memorable and
not quite so memorable records listed and reviewed as NEW RELEASES by
"Billboard" (which because of the approaching season includes an ever
increasing volume of CHRISTMAS records!) this week in......
1953 (Nov 28)
Louis Armstrong - 'Zat You Santa Claus? (Decca 28943)
I can just imagine how bad this probably is.
Post by Roger Ford
Fats Domino - Something's Wrong (Imperial 5262)
Yeah, something was wrong, it's the wrong side.
Post by Roger Ford
Faye Adams - I'll Be True (Herald 419)
An okay song, but nothing special.
Post by Roger Ford
Marvin & Johnny - Baby Doll (Specialty 479)
Theme song from the Carol Baker movie? :-) Why does this sound like "Cherry
Pie"?
Post by Roger Ford
Moohah - All Shook Out (Starmaker 501)
Just run of the mill big band jump blues
Post by Roger Ford
The Shadows - Tell Her (Decca 48307)
I see on the R&B series numbering. They did have a few on that series. I don't
care how much this is worth, it sucks. We're back to the forties sounding stuff
again.
Post by Roger Ford
1954 (Nov 27)
Gayla Peevey - Got A Cold In The Node For Christmas (Columbia 40394)
Jamie Horton at it again. Don't know it and don't want to.
Post by Roger Ford
Gene Henslee - Rockin' Baby (Imperial 8277)
I wonder how many people here would know that this would be country? It better
be, on that number series. Would this be called a country bopper, even with
that fiddle? Too repetitive for my liking.
Post by Roger Ford
The Solitaires - Chances I've Taken (Old Town 1008)
Don't seem to have this one or know it.
Post by Roger Ford
Charlie & Ray - I Love You Madly (Herald 438)
If I remember correctly, one of Bill's favorite R&B duet songs?
Post by Roger Ford
Arthur Gunter - Baby Let's Play House (Excello 2047)
The inspiration for one of them Sun records a year or so later.
Post by Roger Ford
The Peacheros - Be Bop Baby (Excello 2044)
Probably the most valuable thing on the label. Certainly not the Ricky song.
Okay, but not great.
Post by Roger Ford
1955 (Nov 26)
Connie Francis - Are You Satisfied? (MGM 12122)
Ho hum.
Post by Roger Ford
Bobby Charles - Later Alligator (Chess 1609)
Yeah, yeah. Your most valuable British release of a U. S. R&B record. I kind
of like the Haley version better. Actually it was the only version I knew for
years.
Post by Roger Ford
The Leaders - Stormy Weather (Glory 235)
Run-of-the-mill at best.
Post by Roger Ford
The Three Moods - Stop,Look & Listen (Sarg 124)
The Texas label? Uh, didn't this stuff get repressed for awhile?
Post by Roger Ford
Dusty Brown - He Don't Love You (Parrot 820)
Have had this for years. Have mine filed under the flip side.
Post by Roger Ford
The Monarchs - Angels In The Sky (Wing 90040)
I have this and for some reason it's only g, and still in the collection.
Post by Roger Ford
1956 (Dec 1)
Pat Boone - Don't Forbid Me (Dot 15521)
Okay, I guess.
Post by Roger Ford
The Enchanters - True Love Gone (Coral 61756)
You could have at least listed the Mercer version.
Post by Roger Ford
The Youngsters - Christmas In Jail (Empire 109)
I know it's Xmas, but I think it's the wrong side. At least that's how I have
mine listed--by the other side.
Post by Roger Ford
Lazy Lester - I'm Gonna Leave You Baby (Excello 2095)
Let's see, he was so Lazy it took him 10 years to finally leave. This should
have been in that WCOS stuff, and dang if it wasn't. I have a near mint copy of
this.
Post by Roger Ford
Pat Cordel & Crescents - Darling Come Back (Club 1011)
This was an Elegant group. Grate record and kind of valuable too. Never had it
nor had a chance to get it.
Post by Roger Ford
Hurricane Harry - The Last Meal (Okeh 7074)
I guess he was kind of hungry. I guess you'd call this a novelty blues record.
Kind of sounds a little like Screamin' Jay.
Post by Roger Ford
1957 (Dec 2)
Jo Ann Campbell - Wait A Minute (Gone 5014)
Alan Freed's favorite?
Post by Roger Ford
Joe Turner - Teenage Letter (Atlantic 1167)
I don't think one of his better ones.
Post by Roger Ford
Bo Diddley - Say! Boss Man (Checker 878)
Don't know this one.
Post by Roger Ford
Johnny Faire - Bertha Lou (Surf 5019)
Donnie Brooks moonlighting as a RAB star. Have had this one for years.
Post by Roger Ford
Eddie Bond - Love,Love,Love (Mercury 71237)
God, does this suck. Is that a trumpet in the background? No wonder I don't
have this one.
Post by Roger Ford
Alonzo Stewart - I Get The Blues (Athens 703)
I see it's the Andy Wilson label. Boy does this suck. Is he trying to sound
like Fats with this?
Post by Roger Ford
1958 (Dec 1)
Chuck Berry - Run Rudolph Run (Chess 1714)
Not bad. I do have this as a reissue Chess on the Orange label and it looks
kind of Christmassy.
Post by Roger Ford
Carole King - Baby Sittin' (ABC-Paramount 9986)
Who knew that she'd become so huge. Certainly not from this record. I actually
have two copies of this- a promo and regular.
Post by Roger Ford
Dean Beard - Egad Charlie Brown (Challenge 59033)
He was rakin' and scrapin' the bottom of the barrel with this one. Boy does
this suck.
Post by Roger Ford
The Five J's - Calypso Jump (Fulton 2454)
Starts good, until the lead come in, and then fades fast. I think the flip is
the side.
Post by Roger Ford
The Boptones - I Had A Love (Ember 1043)
Not bad, and I actually have a decent copy.
Post by Roger Ford
The Ivies - Sunshine (Ivy 110)
Nothing special.
Post by Roger Ford
1959 (Nov 30)
Roy Orbison - Uptown (Monument 412)
Kind of an okay record.
Post by Roger Ford
Buster Brown - Fannie Mae (Fire 1008)
Always liked this one. One of the most valuable of the Rock era 78s.
Post by Roger Ford
The Ecuadors - Let Me Sleep Woman (Argo 5353)
Gee, if I didn't know better, I'd think this was a Coasters' rip off group.
Post by Roger Ford
Sherry Crane - Winnie The Parakeet (Sun 328)
Best record of the week, maybe of the year. Why this didn't become a top ten
hit for Sam Phillips is beyond me.
Post by Roger Ford
Malon Hurst - Love Ain't Nothin' But Sorrow (Reed 1035)
Why did you post this? This sucks big-time.
Post by Roger Ford
Rockin' Bradley - Lookout (Fire 1007)
Got a near mint copy of this. Uh, sounds like he's trying to sound like Mr.
Penniman. One of the top ten shortest records?
Post by Roger Ford
1960 (Nov 28)
Ricky Nelson - You Are the Only One (Imperial 5707)
Sort of okay, but not great.
Post by Roger Ford
Lawrence Welk - Calcutta (Dot 16161)
Played to death on KFWB.
Post by Roger Ford
Nina Simone - Trouble In Mind (Colpix 175)
No thanks.
Post by Roger Ford
Jimmy Louis - Your Fool (Phillips International 3565)
Oh yuck. Boy was Sam slipping these days.
Post by Roger Ford
The Olympics - Dance By The Light Of The Moon (Arvee 5020)
Great record by Walter and the boys.
Post by Roger Ford
1961 (Nov 27)
Johnny Tillotson - Dreamy Eyes (Cadence 1409)
Done by the Youngsters first?
Post by Roger Ford
Danny & The Juniors - Twistin' All Night Long (Swan 4092)
From that famous album--Danny and the Juniors meet Freddy Canon?
Post by Roger Ford
Johnnie Ray & Timi Yuro - I Believe (Liberty 55400)
I believe that they should have never released this one.
Post by Roger Ford
Ella Fitzgerald - Clap Hands Here Comes Charley (Verve 10241)
No thanks. Even her giving me a $35 Xmas tip back around '76 or so still won't
make me like this.
Post by Roger Ford
Frank Slay - Flying Circle (Swan 4085)
Where's Crewe?
Post by Roger Ford
Mimi Roman - Johnny Will (Warner Bros 5245)
Johnny Will but Mimi won't. This sucks.
Post by Roger Ford
1962 (Dec 1)
The Four Seasons - Santa Claus Is Coming To Town (Vee Jay 478)
Liked this one.
Post by Roger Ford
Gene Pitney - Half Heaven Half Heartache (Musicor 1026)
Not bad, but not great.
Post by Roger Ford
Tommy Roe - Rainbow (ABC-Paramount 10379)
I think Russ' version is better.
Post by Roger Ford
Sandy Stewart - My Coloring Book (Colpix 669)
Played to death on KFWB. Nothing special.
Post by Roger Ford
The Earls - Remember Then (Old Town 1130)
Grate, grate, grate record from Larry and the boys.
Post by Roger Ford
Steve Alaimo - Every Day I Have To Cry (Checker 1032)
Kind of liked this back then.
Post by Roger Ford
1963 (Nov 30)
The Beach Boys - Little Saint Nick (Capitol 5096)
Nice record.
Post by Roger Ford
Ray Charles - That Lucky Old Sun (ABC-Paramount 10509)
Liked Frankie's version better.
Post by Roger Ford
Duane Eddy - Son Of Rebel Rouser (RCA 8276)
Yeah, right.
Post by Roger Ford
Conway Twitty - She Loves Me (ABC-Paramount 10407)
Shows how bad he could be.
Post by Roger Ford
** those so marked I have'nt heard (as far as I know)
Yes,I know some sides as listed may not be the "top sides" as we know
them but they are the sides BB chose to review.
Now its over for the usual response from our resident Californian
commentator and critic in chief who,given his well known fondness for
up tempo vocal group stuff,I'm suprised that I don't remember even
reading anything by him about that terrific Pat Cordel & The Crescents
record that I'd imagine would be right up his street (me? I LOVE all
that stuff too and this is no exception!!)
What say you,Norm?
I had really not heard this until the other day. Somebody posted a bunch of
this stuff over to the binary groups and I finally got to hear this one.

And now back to Roger Ford who actually went out and bought every Parakeet in
his local pet shop right after he fell in love with Sherry Crane.

Norm K
Roger Ford
2005-11-27 19:39:32 UTC
Post by Roger Ford
Continuing our regular weekly look at some of the more memorable and
not quite so memorable records listed and reviewed as NEW RELEASES by
"Billboard" (which because of the approaching season includes an ever
increasing volume of CHRISTMAS records!) this week in......
1953 (Nov 28)
Louis Armstrong - 'Zat You Santa Claus? (Decca 28943)
I can just imagine how bad this probably is.
I like this one a lot,one of my all time favorite Christmas records.

In fact since Matalan here are currently using it in a TV ad I'd
imagine the re-released record (assuming it is being re-released)
stands a fair chance of making the charts here in the next few weeks!
Post by Norm Katuna
Post by Roger Ford
Moohah - All Shook Out (Starmaker 501)
Just run of the mill big band jump blues
More than just run of the mill----I go along with Bruce on this
one,ot's an excellent R&B rocker.

"Moohah" BTW was A.C "Moohah" Williams, the first full time black
employee of Radio Station WDIA in Memphis where he was their long time
announcer. WDIA was the station that ran Rufus Thomas' top rated R&B
radio show and Thomas was involved in the making of the "All Shook
Out" record
Post by Norm Katuna
Post by Roger Ford
The Shadows - Tell Her (Decca 48307)
I see on the R&B series numbering. They did have a few on that series. I don't
care how much this is worth, it sucks. We're back to the forties sounding stuff
again.
Nothing at all to do with the UK Cliff Richard instrumental group of
that name these guys were the first of at least four (that I show)
American vocal groups of that name---and different to my favorite of
the four which remains the Shadows group who recorded on Del-Fi in
1958 and had the excellent "Under Stars Of Love" number
Post by Norm Katuna
Post by Roger Ford
1954 (Nov 27)
Gayla Peevey - Got A Cold In The Node For Christmas (Columbia 40394)
Jamie Horton at it again. Don't know it and don't want to.
AAAAAAYYYYTISHOOOO!!!
Post by Norm Katuna
Post by Roger Ford
Gene Henslee - Rockin' Baby (Imperial 8277)
I wonder how many people here would know that this would be country? It better
be, on that number series. Would this be called a country bopper, even with
that fiddle? Too repetitive for my liking.
I'm not very keen on this one---reflected in the fact that it was
booted in the 70's and was one of the poorer selling 45RPM boots of
the time. In fact don't think we ever re-ordered on it
Post by Norm Katuna
Post by Roger Ford
Charlie & Ray - I Love You Madly (Herald 438)
If I remember correctly, one of Bill's favorite R&B duet songs?
It's one of mine too.I like this one a lot
Post by Norm Katuna
Post by Roger Ford
Arthur Gunter - Baby Let's Play House (Excello 2047)
The inspiration for one of them Sun records a year or so later.
Good by Gunter but GREAT by Presley!!!
Post by Norm Katuna
Post by Roger Ford
1955 (Nov 26)
Connie Francis - Are You Satisfied? (MGM 12122)
Ho hum.
Hate this song by anyone (there were several versions---Sheb
Wooley,Rusty Draper etc). But Connie's is the worst!!
Post by Norm Katuna
Post by Roger Ford
Bobby Charles - Later Alligator (Chess 1609)
Yeah, yeah. Your most valuable British release of a U. S. R&B record. I kind
of like the Haley version better. Actually it was the only version I knew for
years.
£2750 in my price guide---I make that $4730
Post by Norm Katuna
Post by Roger Ford
The Leaders - Stormy Weather (Glory 235)
Run-of-the-mill at best.
Of the vocal group versions I have I like the Five Sharps best
followed by this one and then The Spaniels. yeah sacrilege I know but
I don't care for that Spaniels arrangement
Post by Norm Katuna
Post by Roger Ford
The Three Moods - Stop,Look & Listen (Sarg 124)
The Texas label? Uh, didn't this stuff get repressed for awhile?
This is DREADFUL!!! Reminds of of the Four Lads on a bad day.But if
anyone wants to hear it I will post or mail the mp3
Post by Norm Katuna
Post by Roger Ford
1956 (Dec 1)
The Enchanters - True Love Gone (Coral 61756)
You could have at least listed the Mercer version.
The best group record listed here this week
Post by Norm Katuna
Post by Roger Ford
Pat Cordel & Crescents - Darling Come Back (Club 1011)
This was an Elegant group. Grate record and kind of valuable too. Never had it
nor had a chance to get it.
Great uptempo item that I like a lot
Post by Norm Katuna
Post by Roger Ford
Hurricane Harry - The Last Meal (Okeh 7074)
I guess he was kind of hungry. I guess you'd call this a novelty blues record.
Kind of sounds a little like Screamin' Jay.
Both you and Bill say that---a tribute I suppose to the guy who IIRC
Diane once thought sounded like a porn movie star :-)
Post by Norm Katuna
Post by Roger Ford
1957 (Dec 2)
Jo Ann Campbell - Wait A Minute (Gone 5014)
Alan Freed's favorite?
Yep IIRC there were a couple of things about her that attracted
Freed's attention---and neither was her vocal ability! :)
Post by Norm Katuna
Post by Roger Ford
Joe Turner - Teenage Letter (Atlantic 1167)
I don't think one of his better ones.
The flip is GREAT tho!!! "We Baby Blues"
Post by Norm Katuna
Post by Roger Ford
Bo Diddley - Say! Boss Man (Checker 878)
Don't know this one.
As is the flip on this one which has become much better known over the
years---it's "Before You Accuse Me"
Post by Norm Katuna
Post by Roger Ford
1958 (Dec 1)
Chuck Berry - Run Rudolph Run (Chess 1714)
Not bad. I do have this as a reissue Chess on the Orange label and it looks
kind of Christmassy.
There were hundreds of original copies of this in that Philly Chess
mountain which is where my copy came from
Post by Norm Katuna
Post by Roger Ford
The Ivies - Sunshine (Ivy 110)
Nothing special.
I believe this one was reissued on both Brunswick and Coral
Post by Norm Katuna
Post by Roger Ford
1959 (Nov 30)
Buster Brown - Fannie Mae (Fire 1008)
Always liked this one. One of the most valuable of the Rock era 78s.
Was'nt this one of the very last US 78's issued?
Post by Norm Katuna
Post by Roger Ford
Sherry Crane - Winnie The Parakeet (Sun 328)
Best record of the week, maybe of the year. Why this didn't become a top ten
hit for Sam Phillips is beyond me.
I'm nit sure if this was actually recorded for Sun---or if Sam
Phillips bought the record in from someplace else.Either way its
easily the very WORST record he was ever involved with and the most
dreadful record ever to grace the Sun label.
Post by Norm Katuna
Post by Roger Ford
Malon Hurst - Love Ain't Nothin' But Sorrow (Reed 1035)
Why did you post this? This sucks big-time.
Can I explain again that,despite what I said about the Three Moods
record (see above),the records that get posted are not---repeat
NOT---neccessarily records I like myself. Like the mp3 posts say I try
to post as many records from the list that I can that are either
"rare" or "unfamiliar" to others.

And remember that what is our meat may well be another mans
poison---and vice versa.
Post by Norm Katuna
Post by Roger Ford
1960 (Nov 28)
The Olympics - Dance By The Light Of The Moon (Arvee 5020)
Great record by Walter and the boys.
I think this is the best thing they ever did!!
Post by Norm Katuna
Post by Roger Ford
1961 (Nov 27)
Johnny Tillotson - Dreamy Eyes (Cadence 1409)
Done by the Youngsters first?
No its a different song. The Youngsters song is the one that The Four
preps do

Tillotson himself wrote his "Dreamy Eyes"
Post by Norm Katuna
Post by Roger Ford
1962 (Dec 1)
The Four Seasons - Santa Claus Is Coming To Town (Vee Jay 478)
Liked this one.
I hate this song by anyone---especially in that horrible modern
Springsteen version.

Gee,I even dislike the version on the Spector Xmas LP!!
Post by Norm Katuna
Post by Roger Ford
Sandy Stewart - My Coloring Book (Colpix 669)
Played to death on KFWB. Nothing special.
Always liked the song---best in the Dusty Springfield version
Post by Norm Katuna
Kind of liked this back then.
Post by Roger Ford
1963 (Nov 30)
The Beach Boys - Little Saint Nick (Capitol 5096)
Nice record.
I liked the whole of their Christmas LP whence this came
Post by Norm Katuna
Post by Roger Ford
Brenda Lee - As Usual (Decca 31570)
Okay, but not great.
Brenda was always really good on these country styled ballads,the best
of which IMO is probably the later "Johnny One Time"
Post by Norm Katuna
Post by Roger Ford
Duane Eddy - Son Of Rebel Rouser (RCA 8276)
Yeah, right.
Apart from those couple of hits at the beginning of his RCA stint the
rest of his singles on the label really do blow. This one is no
exsception
Post by Norm Katuna
Post by Roger Ford
Jody Miller - He Walks Like A Man (Epic 5090)
Kind of liked this back then.
I liked her "Queen Of The House" answer record to that Roger Miller
record
Post by Norm Katuna
And now back to Roger Ford who actually went out and bought every Parakeet in
his local pet shop right after he fell in love with Sherry Crane.
I actually have a picture of the Shirley Temple lookalike Sherry
Crane---who looks all of about 9 years old when she made this record!!

When I finally get round to getting a new scanner.................:-)

an extra "b" in my e-mail address (***@bblueyonder.co.uk).
Shoo-Bop-Shoo-Bop
2005-11-27 13:36:43 UTC
h)
Post by Roger Ford
The Ecuadors - Let Me Sleep Woman (Argo 5353)
Which very famous 50's rock & roll performer is "moonlighting" on this
record?
Chuck Berry?
--
Bill
"Are the stars out tonight?
I don't know if it's cloudy or bright."
Shoo-Bop-Shoo-Bop
2005-11-27 15:04:59 UTC
Post by Shoo-Bop-Shoo-Bop
Post by Roger Ford
h)
Post by Roger Ford
The Ecuadors - Let Me Sleep Woman (Argo 5353)
Which very famous 50's rock & roll performer is "moonlighting" on
this record?
Chuck Berry?
Not moonlighting, starring! Just listened and it seems Chuck is not only on
guitar but singing lead? Is that correct?

It's good, not great.

Thanks for the MP3.
Roger Ford
2005-11-27 18:31:55 UTC
On Sun, 27 Nov 2005 10:04:59 -0500, "Shoo-Bop-Shoo-Bop"
Post by Shoo-Bop-Shoo-Bop
Post by Shoo-Bop-Shoo-Bop
Post by Roger Ford
h)
Post by Roger Ford
The Ecuadors - Let Me Sleep Woman (Argo 5353)
Which very famous 50's rock & roll performer is "moonlighting" on
this record?
Chuck Berry?
Not moonlighting, starring! Just listened and it seems Chuck is not only on
guitar but singing lead? Is that correct?
Over here we say "moonlighting" if somebody is doing any kind of job
on the side---as it appears that Chuck is doing here
Post by Shoo-Bop-Shoo-Bop
It's good, not great.
To be totally honest I've never liked it that much

an extra "b" in my e-mail address (***@bblueyonder.co.uk).
Shoo-Bop-Shoo-Bop
2005-11-27 18:37:49 UTC
Post by Shoo-Bop-Shoo-Bop
Post by Shoo-Bop-Shoo-Bop
Chuck Berry?
Not moonlighting, starring! Just listened and it seems Chuck is not
only on guitar but singing lead? Is that correct?
Over here we say "moonlighting" if somebody is doing any kind of job
on the side---as it appears that Chuck is doing here
So do we. You missed my little pun- star versus moon. ;-)
RandyPNY
2005-11-27 16:21:43 UTC
a) Who had the original versions on these songs?
1. Connie Francis - Are You Satisfied? (MGM 12122)
Sheb Wooley
Post by Roger Ford
2. The Monarchs - Angels In The Sky (Wing 90040)
Buddy Cunningham
Post by Roger Ford
3. Johnnie Ray & Timi Yuro - I Believe (Liberty 55400)
Jane Froman
Post by Roger Ford
4. Mimi Roman - Johnny Will (Warner Bros 5245)**
Pat Boone
Post by Roger Ford
5. The Four Seasons - Santa Claus Is Coming To Town (Vee Jay 478)
George Hall
Post by Roger Ford
6. Gene Pitney - Half Heaven Half Heartache (Musicor 1026)
Ral Donner
Post by Roger Ford
b)
Post by Roger Ford
Faye Adams - I'll Be True (Herald 419)
Which very famous white r&r act did their own version of this song?
The Addrisi Brothers
Post by Roger Ford
e)
Post by Roger Ford
The Enchanters - True Love Gone (Coral 61756)
These guys followed up a little later with a terrific Christmas record
(that should appear in this listing next week). What's its title?
"Mambo, Santa, Mambo"
Post by Roger Ford
g)
Post by Roger Ford
Hurricane Harry - The Last Meal (Okeh 7074)
"Hurricane Harry" hid the identity of a famous 50's songwriter who was
responsible for penning one of the very biggest rock & roll hits of
the decade. Who is he? And what was trhe giant r&r hit he wrote?
Otis Blackwell ("Don't Be Cruel")?
Post by Roger Ford
And which famous blues artist several years later came out with his
own version of the above Hurricane Harry song?
Jimmy Rogers

- Randy
Roger Ford
2005-11-27 18:42:23 UTC
Post by RandyPNY
Post by Roger Ford
a) Who had the original versions on these songs?
(Those already correctly answered deleted)
Post by RandyPNY
Post by Roger Ford
2. The Monarchs - Angels In The Sky (Wing 90040)
Buddy Cunningham
That's who I have too
Post by RandyPNY
Post by Roger Ford
3. Johnnie Ray & Timi Yuro - I Believe (Liberty 55400)
Jane Froman
Yep I'm pretty sure Ms Froman introduced the song on radio & TV too
Post by RandyPNY
Post by Roger Ford
4. Mimi Roman - Johnny Will (Warner Bros 5245)**
Pat Boone
Randy do you agree that Boone's sems to be the original? His record on
Dot is reviewed in BB a full month earlier than the Ms Roman version.
Paul Evans wrote the song so there's no great clue given there
Post by RandyPNY
Post by Roger Ford
5. The Four Seasons - Santa Claus Is Coming To Town (Vee Jay 478)
George Hall
I have to say that I show Eddie Cantor who is mentioned in several
sources as the songs originator (including several online sources).

What's the George Hall thing?
Post by RandyPNY
Post by Roger Ford
6. Gene Pitney - Half Heaven Half Heartache (Musicor 1026)
Ral Donner
Yes and while its by no means my favorite Pitney record his version is
much better than the Donner version
Post by RandyPNY
Post by Roger Ford
b)
Post by Roger Ford
Faye Adams - I'll Be True (Herald 419)
Which very famous white r&r act did their own version of this song?
The Addrisi Brothers
?????

Not who Ihad in mind at all. Where do the Addrisis fit in?
Post by RandyPNY
Post by Roger Ford
g)
Post by Roger Ford
Hurricane Harry - The Last Meal (Okeh 7074)
"Hurricane Harry" hid the identity of a famous 50's songwriter who was
responsible for penning one of the very biggest rock & roll hits of
the decade. Who is he? And what was trhe giant r&r hit he wrote?
Otis Blackwell ("Don't Be Cruel")?
Good call but thats not the name I have. Gee this one seems to be a
real KILLER!! :-)
Post by RandyPNY
Post by Roger Ford
And which famous blues artist several years later came out with his
own version of the above Hurricane Harry song?
Jimmy Rogers
Yep! And this Hurricane Harry song should interest both Diane and Marc
if they don't know it as its the original of the song Jimmy Rogers
later copped on Chess as "My Last Meal"

an extra "b" in my e-mail address (***@bblueyonder.co.uk).
Shoo-Bop-Shoo-Bop
2005-11-27 18:48:58 UTC
g)
Post by Roger Ford
Hurricane Harry - The Last Meal (Okeh 7074)
"Hurricane Harry" hid the identity of a famous 50's songwriter who
was responsible for penning one of the very biggest rock & roll
hits of the decade. Who is he? And what was trhe giant r&r hit he
wrote? Otis Blackwell ("Don't Be Cruel")?
Good call but thats not the name I have. Gee this one seems to be a
real KILLER!! :-)
That would be Jerry Lee Lewis, but that wasn't what I was asking in your Now
Playing thread where you hinted "Hawk.".

I think the vocal of Hurricane Harry sounds like Screamin' Jay Hawkins, and
both were on Okeh at the time of the record. Are you sure it's not Screamin'
Jay? Anyone else listen to the song?
Roger Ford
2005-11-27 18:57:04 UTC
On Sun, 27 Nov 2005 13:48:58 -0500, "Shoo-Bop-Shoo-Bop"
Post by Shoo-Bop-Shoo-Bop
g)
Post by Roger Ford
Hurricane Harry - The Last Meal (Okeh 7074)
"Hurricane Harry" hid the identity of a famous 50's songwriter who
was responsible for penning one of the very biggest rock & roll
hits of the decade. Who is he? And what was trhe giant r&r hit he
wrote? Otis Blackwell ("Don't Be Cruel")?
Good call but thats not the name I have. Gee this one seems to be a
real KILLER!! :-)
That would be Jerry Lee Lewis, but that wasn't what I was asking in your Now
Playing thread where you hinted "Hawk.".
I already hinted that "Hurricane Harry" AFAIK hides the identity of a
famous 50's songwriter who wrote one of the 50's biggest r&r hits. .
As far as I know Jerry Lee never wrote a monster hit---but he did sing
a couple :-)

So..........

an extra "b" in my e-mail address (***@bblueyonder.co.uk).
Shoo-Bop-Shoo-Bop
2005-11-30 13:50:29 UTC
Post by Roger Ford
Post by Shoo-Bop-Shoo-Bop
Post by Roger Ford
Good call but thats not the name I have. Gee this one seems to be a
real KILLER!! :-)
That would be Jerry Lee Lewis, but that wasn't what I was asking in
your Now Playing thread where you hinted "Hawk.".
I already hinted that "Hurricane Harry" AFAIK hides the identity of a
famous 50's songwriter who wrote one of the 50's biggest r&r hits. .
As far as I know Jerry Lee never wrote a monster hit---but he did sing
a couple :-)
So..........
So, the answer is?

Roger Ford
2005-11-30 16:23:23 UTC
On Wed, 30 Nov 2005 08:50:29 -0500, "Shoo-Bop-Shoo-Bop"
Post by RandyPNY
Post by Roger Ford
Post by Shoo-Bop-Shoo-Bop
Post by Roger Ford
Good call but thats not the name I have. Gee this one seems to be a
real KILLER!! :-)
That would be Jerry Lee Lewis, but that wasn't what I was asking in
your Now Playing thread where you hinted "Hawk.".
I already hinted that "Hurricane Harry" AFAIK hides the identity of a
famous 50's songwriter who wrote one of the 50's biggest r&r hits. .
As far as I know Jerry Lee never wrote a monster hit---but he did sing
a couple :-)
So..........
So, the answer is?
Jack Hammer

Who wrote "Great Balls Of Fire" (He also wrote "The Last Meal")

And who,IIRC the last time he was mentioned here,Diane got
partiucularly excited about----mistakenly judging,from his name that
he must be some kind of porn movie star :-)

an extra "b" in my e-mail address (***@bblueyonder.co.uk).
RandyPNY
2005-11-28 00:32:38 UTC
4. Mimi Roman - Johnny Will (Warner Bros 5245)**
Pat Boone
Randy do you agree that Boone's sems to be the original? His record on
Dot is reviewed in BB a full month earlier than the Ms Roman version.
Paul Evans wrote the song so there's no great clue given there
I have no evidence to the contrary, so I'd have to agree with your
conclusion.
5. The Four Seasons - Santa Claus Is Coming To Town (Vee Jay 478)
George Hall
I have to say that I show Eddie Cantor who is mentioned in several
sources as the songs originator (including several online sources).
What's the George Hall thing?
One of those internet sources does indeed credit Eddie Cantor as having
first performed the song on a radio show at Thanksgiving in 1932. Whitburn's
Pop Memories book doesn't list a recorded version by him, however, but does
show one by George Hall & His Orchestra (vocal by Sonny Schuyler) that hit
#12 in December of that year.
b)
Post by Roger Ford
Faye Adams - I'll Be True (Herald 419)
Which very famous white r&r act did their own version of this song?
The Addrisi Brothers
?????
Not who Ihad in mind at all. Where do the Addrisis fit in?
My mistake... The Addrisis' first single (on Brad 003, in 1958) was called
"I'll Be True," but it was a different song.

- Randy
Scarlotti
2005-11-28 07:29:15 UTC
Post by RandyPNY
Post by Roger Ford
3. Johnnie Ray & Timi Yuro - I Believe (Liberty 55400)
Jane Froman
Yep I'm pretty sure Ms Froman introduced the song on radio & TV too
Technically Frankie recorded it first, while Ms. Froman was the first
to release it:

According to co-composer Ervin Drake, "Jane loved the song -- she said
it gave her goose bumps -- but wouldn't record it. She felt it was
good special material for the program, but not commercial. She sang it
in the Thanksgiving episode, then we put it in the Christmas episode.
She still wouldn't record it. (Producer) Irving Mansfield suggested
that we take it to Mitch Miller, who said it would be good for Frankie
Laine. Word got back to Jane that Frankie Laine had recorded 'I
Believe.' She called Irving Mansfield and demanded that the 'traitors'
who wrote the song be dropped from the show, which he didn't. She went
over to Capitol and recorded it immediately, and got it out first.
Mitch said 'She killed the song!'"
S***@aol.com
2005-11-27 16:37:18 UTC
Continuing our regular weekly look at some of the more memorable and
not quite so memorable records listed and reviewed as NEW RELEASES by
"Billboard" (which because of the approaching season includes an ever
increasing volume of CHRISTMAS records!) this week in......
1953 (Nov 28)
Faye Adams - I'll Be True (Herald 419)
Freed loved to boom this one out.
Post by Roger Ford
Moohah - All Shook Out (Starmaker 501)
Great R & B rocker.
Post by Roger Ford
1955 (Nov 26)
Connie Francis - Are You Satisfied? (MGM 12122)
Didn't realize she was around this early....this must blow.
Post by Roger Ford
1957 (Dec 2)
Bo Diddley - Say! Boss Man (Checker 878)
Great, but the flip side is even better.
Roger Ford
2005-11-29 18:19:09 UTC
Post by S***@aol.com
Post by Roger Ford
Continuing our regular weekly look at some of the more memorable and
not quite so memorable records listed and reviewed as NEW RELEASES by
"Billboard" (which because of the approaching season includes an ever
increasing volume of CHRISTMAS records!) this week in......
1955 (Nov 26)
Connie Francis - Are You Satisfied? (MGM 12122)
Didn't realize she was around this early....this must blow.
She was around even earlier than this....she did debut on record in
1955 but the record listed here was her third single!
Post by S***@aol.com
Post by Roger Ford
1957 (Dec 2)
Bo Diddley - Say! Boss Man (Checker 878)
Great, but the flip side is even better.
I agree and it's of course "Before You Accuse Me"

an extra "b" in my e-mail address (***@bblueyonder.co.uk).
2005-12-03 13:14:05 UTC
Post by Roger Ford
Continuing our regular weekly look at some of the more memorable and
not quite so memorable records listed and reviewed as NEW RELEASES by
"Billboard" (which because of the approaching season includes an ever
increasing volume of CHRISTMAS records!) this week in......
This weeks teasers in NINE big parts :-
As per usual nearly all the correct answers are contained in the
b)
Post by Roger Ford
Faye Adams - I'll Be True (Herald 419)
Which very famous white r&r act did their own version of this song?
Bill Haley & His Comets
Post by Roger Ford
g)
Post by Roger Ford
Hurricane Harry - The Last Meal (Okeh 7074)
"Hurricane Harry" hid the identity of a famous 50's songwriter who was
responsible for penning one of the very biggest rock & roll hits of
the decade. Who is he? And what was trhe giant r&r hit he wrote?
Jack Hammer "Great Balls Of Fire"
Post by Roger Ford
And which famous blues artist several years later came out with his
own version of the above Hurricane Harry song?
Jimmy Rogers on Chess

an extra "b" in my e-mail address (***@bblueyonder.co.uk).