MAY PRE-SELECTIONS
2020-04-25 21:37:22 UTC
Okay if I 'm still around after self injecting a few bottles of best
pine disinfectant to ward off coronavirus as recommended by a
prominent world leader whose name escapes me at the moment here's my
picks for the May Obscure 1950s Era Recordings competition :-

First off the topside on this one came good for me in February....lets
see how the flipside does in May :-

Marked Deck - Mercy Baby - Ace 528 - 1957

I'll try Tina Turner's debut (clue : Tina is one of the names below)

Box Top - Ike Turner Carlson Oliver & Little Ann - Tune Town 501 -
1958

And here's three "all white but all right" entries---never in any
battle---all from the current year I'm busy working on ....1959

First off a favorite of mine that I forgot to include in that "Pop
Favorites" series a while back - if this "Rio Bravo" number is good
enough for "The Sopranos" (twice!) its good enough for this contest!

My Rifle,My Pony & Me - Dean Martin & Ricky Nelson - unreleased - 1959

and a couple of 1959 white rockers...........

Larry Donn - That's What I Call A Ball - Vaden 113 - 1959

Ballin' Keen - Bobby & Terry Caraway - Crest 1065 - 1959

2020-04-25 22:58:26 UTC
Dancin' Girl - Eddie Eay

You've Been Goofin' - Jimmy Nolen (1955)

Got You On My Mind - Miller Sisters (1957)

That Ain't It - Walter Horton

White Cliffs of Dover - Robins (1959)

2020-04-26 01:18:31 UTC
http://youtu.be/C6zE33gvAeQ
I think this is from 1961.
Roger Ford
2020-04-27 12:34:48 UTC
On Sat, 25 Apr 2020 15:58:26 -0700, Steve Mc
Post by Steve Mc
Dancin' Girl - Eddie Eay
http://youtu.be/U46R3CckPzE
Anyone got a definitite date on this?
Post by Steve Mc
Got You On My Mind - Miller Sisters (1957)
http://youtu.be/VJE91SniZaU
The YT clip shows the wrong Miller Sisters (i.e the BLACK Long Island
r&b group) whereas the group here are the WHITE Memphis duo Elsie Jo
Miller & Mildred Wages aka "The Miller Sisters" on Sun Records
Post by Steve Mc
That Ain't It - Walter Horton
http://youtu.be/ZfSuQsprZ38
This is from 1972 (and appeared on an Alligator LP that year) so don't
think this is eligible.
Post by Steve Mc
White Cliffs of Dover - Robins (1959)
http://youtu.be/C6zE33gvAeQ
This is from 1961

2020-04-27 12:49:30 UTC
Post by Steve Mc
That Ain't It - Walter Horton
http://youtu.be/ZfSuQsprZ38
This is from 1972 (and appeared on an Alligator LP that year) so don't
think this is eligible.
-------------
OHhhhhhh....LOL, so that explains why it wasn't in the Battles. Still a
big favorite of mine!
SavoyBG
Please replace Stevie.
Steve Mc
2020-04-27 14:29:59 UTC
Post by Steve Mc
That Ain't It - Walter Horton
http://youtu.be/ZfSuQsprZ38
This is from 1972 (and appeared on an Alligator LP that year) so don't
think this is eligible.
Please replace Stevie.
I think this one should OK.

She's Got No Hair - Arthur Crudup (1954)

2020-04-27 12:47:59 UTC
Post by Steve Mc
That Ain't It - Walter Horton
http://youtu.be/ZfSuQsprZ38
-------------
Big favorite of mine. Surprised to learn it wasn't in the Battles.
SavoyBG
2020-04-26 00:13:48 UTC
Okay if I 'm still around after self injecting a few bottles of best
pine disinfectant to ward off coronavirus as recommended by a
prominent world leader whose name escapes me at the moment
Diane said she heard on the radio that some schmucks in Moichigan actually drank some of the shit.
http://youtu.be/_MXcL1F3OMs
I sold a copy of the 45 recently, maybe this is an alternate?
Roger Ford
2020-04-26 07:19:02 UTC
My Rifle,My Pony & Me - Dean Martin & Ricky Nelson - unreleased - 1959
http://youtu.be/_MXcL1F3OMs
I sold a copy of the 45 recently, maybe this is an alternate?
Not sure what you mean by "alternate"?

The best version is the actual soundtrack recording from "Rio Bravo"
which is the version I'm nominating. That has Ricky Nelson playing and
singing along with Dino plus old Walter Brennan on harmonica.

The Capitol single was a studio recording with just Dino's vocal
right?

I never played it. So you're saying that the version from the movie was not released?
Roger Ford
2020-04-26 15:00:34 UTC
My Rifle,My Pony & Me - Dean Martin & Ricky Nelson - unreleased - 1959
http://youtu.be/_MXcL1F3OMs
I sold a copy of the 45 recently, maybe this is an alternate?
Not sure what you mean by "alternate"?
The best version is the actual soundtrack recording from "Rio Bravo"
which is the version I'm nominating. That has Ricky Nelson playing and
singing along with Dino plus old Walter Brennan on harmonica.
The Capitol single was a studio recording with just Dino's vocal
right?
I never played it. So you're saying that the version from the movie was not released?
Thats right

AFAIK the movie version (with Ricky Nelson) wasn't released until 2015
when somebody put out a 2-CD (!) soundtrack set from "Rio Bravo".

Despite what one of the responders to the YT clip says here is the
1959 Dean Martin US (and UK) Capitol single version :-

2020-04-26 18:31:19 UTC
Okay, I am in!

Sweet Thing - Rams

Mean Old World - Johnny Fuller

There's No Need To Cry - Original 5 Blind Boys

That's Why I Cry - Varetta Dillard

Baby Please Don't Go - Big Maybelle

Do you see any problems with any of these, Roger?
Roger Ford
2020-04-27 12:56:01 UTC
Okay, I am in!
Sweet Thing - Rams
http://youtu.be/JCltVgCyt-c
Mean Old World - Johnny Fuller
http://youtu.be/LYi5_MYR0sQ
There's No Need To Cry - Original 5 Blind Boys
http://youtu.be/SQzbj9ydzMY
That's Why I Cry - Varetta Dillard
http://youtu.be/YtTKD_tUpx8
Baby Please Don't Go - Big Maybelle
http://youtu.be/sHYdE62tuRU
Do you see any problems with any of these, Roger?
Nope all good as far as I can see

The Blind Boys single on Peacock is credited as just "The Five Blind
Boys"

I take it the Big Maybelle is an unreleased out take from the "Jazz On
A Summer's Day" movie

2020-04-27 13:17:39 UTC
Yep
Roger Ford
2020-04-27 13:46:10 UTC
I take it the Big Maybelle is an unreleased out take from the "Jazz On
A Summer's Day" movie
Yep
I still remember the high and mighty very jazz orientated "Melody
Maker" weekly over here bewailing the fact that the makers of the
"Jazz On A Summer's Day" movie had stooped so low as to
include...ugh....hold your nose.....Chuck Berry.... performing "Sweet
Little Sixteen"

DianeE via Google
2020-04-26 11:19:49 UTC
It wasn't Michigan, it was Illinois.
Carl
2020-04-26 07:55:08 UTC
Five again from 1955

Blues Has Walked In My Room - Bob Gaddy & His Keys - Harlem 2330

Red Hots And Chili Mac - The Moroccos - United 193

I Will Return - The Cobras - Modern 964

No Greater Love - Billy 'The Kid' Emerson - Sun 219

Hurt My Feelings - Morris Pejoe - Vee Jay 148

Jim Colegrove
2020-04-26 14:45:32 UTC
Let's try these:

Down - Marveliers (1957)

Claude King - Run, Baby, Run (1957)

Rock These Blues Away - The Midnighters (1959)

Juke Box Boogie Woogie Chick - Snookum Russell (1954)

How About It Baby - Emmet Davis -1950

Roger Ford
2020-04-28 13:11:26 UTC
On Sun, 26 Apr 2020 09:45:32 -0500, Jim Colegrove
Post by Jim Colegrove
Rock These Blues Away - The Midnighters (1959)
http://youtu.be/GkW4P-45mkI
Of course these are not THE Midnighters but a white rockabilly outfit
(and a good one too)
Post by Jim Colegrove
Juke Box Boogie Woogie Chick - Snookum Russell (1954)
http://youtu.be/6sg_s1ZGR8g
Never seen this one for real but I see Jazzman Records here in London
have copies (legit reissues? repros?) at cheapo prices on their lists
Post by Jim Colegrove
How About It Baby - Emmet Davis -1950
http://youtu.be/t6auq1dF7Tw
1950?

I have this LR wannabee as 1958

I had a hard time finding a date on it. 1958 sounds more like it.
Rick Schubert
2020-04-26 21:42:33 UTC
Mine:

My Lovin' Baby - Channels - Port 70022 - 1960

Zoom-Boom-Zing - Cadillacs - Jubilee LP 1089 (45 reissue: Josie 759) - 1959

Sweet Love - Penguins - Dooto 432 - 1958

My Darling, My Sweet - Flairs - Flair 1067 - 1955

Love Me, Love Me, Love Me - Chimes - Flair 1051 - 1954

45cat.com says that "Zoom-Boom-Zing" was on Josie 45-792 in 1956 as just "Zoom," which was in the
1956 and Vocal Encore battles, but "Zoom" is a different song:

Roger Ford
2020-04-27 16:08:49 UTC
Post by Rick Schubert
My Lovin' Baby - Channels - Port 70022 - 1960
http://youtu.be/ypkBzNSx2ak
This is a 1960 reissue

The original was on Whirlin Disc 109 in 1957
Post by Rick Schubert
Zoom-Boom-Zing - Cadillacs - Jubilee LP 1089 (45 reissue: Josie 759) - 1959
http://youtu.be/dMg6Qi_zSSA
45cat.com says that "Zoom-Boom-Zing" was on Josie 45-792 in 1956 as just "Zoom," which was in the
http://youtu.be/IuS5eYCilek
But Josie 759 isn't a reissue

It was a boot (Rascio I think). There was never a real Josie 759---the
label started with #760 in 1954

Thanks for the corrections, Roger.
DianeE
2020-04-27 12:43:30 UTC
Same old same old for me this month.

The Same Old Story - The Champions (1956)

In The Same Old Way - Tommy Ridgley (1959?)

It Must Have Been Love - Earl King (1955?)

Lonely Baby - Ty Hunter (1962)

Drive Soldiers Drive - Little Maxie (1953)

NOTE: the video and other sources give the artist's name as Little Maxie
Bailey but this pic of the record label shows otherwise:
https://rateyourmusic.com/release/single/little_maxie_bailey/drive_soldiers_drive___my_babys_blues.p/
Roger Ford
2020-04-28 05:22:06 UTC
Same old same old for me this month.
In The Same Old Way - Tommy Ridgley (1959?)
http://youtu.be/uQVnZy0cDq4
This is from circa October 1961. Reviewed in BB early November that
year
Post by DianeE
It Must Have Been Love - Earl King (1955?)
http://youtu.be/6F06bOSFPNU
From 1956
http://youtu.be/mFT4TgARyYs
NOTE: the video and other sources give the artist's name as Little Maxie
https://rateyourmusic.com/release/single/little_maxie_bailey/drive_soldiers_drive___my_babys_blues.p/
His earlier release on Excello "Brown Skin Woman Blues" was in the
1953 Battle. Your nomination is better still IMO but got missed

2020-04-27 17:57:55 UTC
Okay, I'm in. I even included what may be a rockabilly. Hope they pass
muster.

Am I The Man - Jackie Wilson

Ain¹t I a Mess - Joe Tex

Daddy Loves Mommyo - Tommy Duncan