The Number Ones: Elvis Presley’s “Stuck On You”
2018-11-27 00:02:28 UTC
A writer named Tom Breihan has been reviewing, in order, every song to hit #1 in the Billboard Hot 100.

Elvis Presley – “Stuck On You”
HIT #1: April 25, 1960
STAYED AT #1: 4 weeks

By the time Elvis Presley got out of the Army, he was who he was. When Presley got back home and returned to recording, the hunger and wildness and desperation of his early years were gone. He was happy to play into the character that he’d built for himself. There’s no urgency in “Stuck On You,” the first single that Presley released after his time in the military. Instead, the Elvis of “Stuck On You” sounds like an Elvis impersonator, leaning hard on his gasps and hiccups and little baritone voice-drops. You can almost hear finger-gun winking.

Presley recorded a few transcendent songs after his time in the Army, mostly by leaning hard into the old-school entertainer side of his persona. “Stuck On You” isn’t one of those transcendent songs. It’s an amiable midtempo blues shuffle, a lazy-afternoon sort of thing. It’s pure autopilot. But even on autopilot, Presley had so much presence and charisma in his voice that he still left an impression.

The vocal tics of “Stuck On You” are pure silliness. But when Presley hits the chorus and kicks things up a couple of notches, you can hear echoes of the dangerous, feverish singer who’d captured and scandalized the world only a few years earlier. Presley wasn’t all that interested in letting that guy off the leash, but he was still in there somewhere.

GRADE: 6/10
Eric Ramon
2018-11-27 00:13:50 UTC
When Breihan says "these chorus" he's referring to the bridge
Eric Ramon
2018-11-27 00:17:10 UTC
Why would autocorrect change the to these? Oh well.
SavoyBG
2018-11-27 00:25:02 UTC
I just see "the chorus."
SavoyBG
2018-11-27 00:19:06 UTC
[...]
Most of these later Elvis things did not do as well in New York as they did nationally. Even in 1957 and 1958 some of his national number ones did not get to # 1 on WMGM.

"Stuck On You" only got to # 4 on WMGM.

These songs that did not get to # 1 on Billboard DID get to # 1 on WMGM in 1960.

Greenfields - Brothers Four
Alley-Oop - Dante & the Evergreens
Only The Lonely - Roy Orbison
Poetry In Motion - Johnny Tillotson
Mark Dintenfass
2018-11-27 01:10:11 UTC
A writer named Tom Breihan has been reviewing, in order, every song to hit
#1 in the Billboard Hot 100.
Elvis Presley ­ ³Stuck On You²
HIT #1: April 25, 1960
STAYED AT #1: 4 weeks
By the time Elvis Presley got out of the Army, he was who he was. When
Presley got back home and returned to recording, the hunger and wildness
and desperation of his early years were gone. He was happy to play into the
character that he¹d built for himself. There¹s no urgency in ³Stuck On
You,² the first single that Presley released after his time in the
military. Instead, the Elvis of ³Stuck On You² sounds like an Elvis
impersonator, leaning hard on his gasps and hiccups and little baritone
voice-drops. You can almost hear finger-gun winking.
Presley recorded a few transcendent songs after his time in the Army,
mostly by leaning hard into the old-school entertainer side of his persona.
³Stuck On You² isn¹t one of those transcendent songs. It¹s an amiable
midtempo blues shuffle, a lazy-afternoon sort of thing. It¹s pure
autopilot. But even on autopilot, Presley had so much presence and charisma
in his voice that he still left an impression.
The vocal tics of ³Stuck On You² are pure silliness. But when Presley hits
the chorus and kicks things up a couple of notches, you can hear echoes of
the dangerous, feverish singer who¹d captured and scandalized the world
only a few years earlier. Presley wasn¹t all that interested in letting
that guy off the leash, but he was still in there somewhere.
GRADE: 6/10
Most of these later Elvis things did not do as well in New York as they did
nationally. Even in 1957 and 1958 some of his national number ones did not
get to # 1 on WMGM.
"Stuck On You" only got to # 4 on WMGM.
These songs that did not get to # 1 on Billboard DID get to # 1 on WMGM in 1960.
Greenfields - Brothers Four
Alley-Oop - Dante & the Evergreens
Only The Lonely - Roy Orbison
Poetry In Motion - Johnny Tillotson
Three bad records and one masterpiece. I don't have to say which one if
the masterpiece, do I?
2018-11-27 01:19:15 UTC
A writer named Tom Breihan has been reviewing, in order, every song to hit
#1 in the Billboard Hot 100.
Elvis Presley ­ łStuck On You˛
HIT #1: April 25, 1960
STAYED AT #1: 4 weeks
By the time Elvis Presley got out of the Army, he was who he was. When
Presley got back home and returned to recording, the hunger and wildness
and desperation of his early years were gone. He was happy to play into the
character that heąd built for himself. Thereąs no urgency in łStuck On
You,˛ the first single that Presley released after his time in the
military. Instead, the Elvis of łStuck On You˛ sounds like an Elvis
impersonator, leaning hard on his gasps and hiccups and little baritone
voice-drops. You can almost hear finger-gun winking.
Presley recorded a few transcendent songs after his time in the Army,
mostly by leaning hard into the old-school entertainer side of his persona.
łStuck On You˛ isnąt one of those transcendent songs. Itąs an amiable
midtempo blues shuffle, a lazy-afternoon sort of thing. Itąs pure
autopilot. But even on autopilot, Presley had so much presence and charisma
in his voice that he still left an impression.
The vocal tics of łStuck On You˛ are pure silliness. But when Presley hits
the chorus and kicks things up a couple of notches, you can hear echoes of
the dangerous, feverish singer whoąd captured and scandalized the world
only a few years earlier. Presley wasnąt all that interested in letting
that guy off the leash, but he was still in there somewhere.
GRADE: 6/10
Most of these later Elvis things did not do as well in New York as they did
nationally. Even in 1957 and 1958 some of his national number ones did not
get to # 1 on WMGM.
"Stuck On You" only got to # 4 on WMGM.
These songs that did not get to # 1 on Billboard DID get to # 1 on WMGM in 1960.
Greenfields - Brothers Four
Alley-Oop - Dante & the Evergreens
Only The Lonely - Roy Orbison
Poetry In Motion - Johnny Tillotson
Three bad records and one masterpiece. I don't have to say which one if
the masterpiece, do I?
Why is "Greenfields" a bad record?

I give it a 7, I think it has good harmony and cool haunting overall sound.

Did you know that they did the first version of "Mr. Tambourine Man" to get released?

They were looking for songs and were going through Columbias's list of recently published songs and they decided to record it and it was released before Dylan got around to releasing his version.

"alley Oop" is pretty good novelty. "Poetry" blows, but some here (cough, Diane) like it.
Mark Dintenfass
2018-11-27 01:39:18 UTC
Most of these later Elvis things did not do as well in New York as they did
nationally. Even in 1957 and 1958 some of his national number ones did not
get to # 1 on WMGM.
"Stuck On You" only got to # 4 on WMGM.
These songs that did not get to # 1 on Billboard DID get to # 1 on WMGM in 1960.
Greenfields - Brothers Four
Alley-Oop - Dante & the Evergreens
Only The Lonely - Roy Orbison
Poetry In Motion - Johnny Tillotson
Three bad records and one masterpiece. I don't have to say which one if
the masterpiece, do I?
Why is "Greenfields" a bad record?
I remember well that some guy writing for the NY Daily News said it
sounded like four mummies moaning in a sarcophagus. I didn't generally
read the News for music criticism, but that seemed to nail it.

Anyway, it was phony folkie music and I'm surprised you like it.
Post by SavoyBG
I give it a 7, I think it has good harmony and cool haunting overall sound.
Did you know that they did the first version of "Mr. Tambourine Man" to get released?
They were looking for songs and were going through Columbias's list of
recently published songs and they decided to record it and it was released
before Dylan got around to releasing his version.
http://youtu.be/cx1X0B1E7_A
"alley Oop" is pretty good novelty
Wore out its welcome quickly with me.
Post by SavoyBG
. "Poetry" blows,
Ah, at last we agree about something.
Post by SavoyBG
but some here (cough, Diane) like it.
She grew up with it and somehow can't come to the same wholly objective
judgements you younger guys manage.
2018-11-27 01:46:15 UTC
[...]
ALL THAT MATTERS IS WHAT'S COMING OUT OF THE SPEAKERS!

I care not if it's real or phony folk music, in fact, the stuff that you would likely classify as "real" rather than phony is not very good IMO, such as Woody Guthrie and Pete Seeger. And I like PP&M too, who I figure you'd classify as phony.

I gather that the main thing for people who like "real" folk music is what the lyrics are about, and you know I have no interest in that. I prefer the wide appeal of pop oriented folk stuff like "Tom Dooley" and "Greenfields" and "Lemon Tree" by PP&M.
SavoyBG
2018-11-27 01:55:49 UTC
The flip side (Fame And Fortune) stinks.
Mark Dintenfass
2018-11-27 01:07:43 UTC
A writer named Tom Breihan has been reviewing, in order, every song to hit #1
in the Billboard Hot 100.
Elvis Presley ­ ³Stuck On You²
HIT #1: April 25, 1960
STAYED AT #1: 4 weeks
By the time Elvis Presley got out of the Army, he was who he was. When
Presley got back home and returned to recording, the hunger and wildness and
desperation of his early years were gone. He was happy to play into the
character that he¹d built for himself. There¹s no urgency in ³Stuck On You,²
the first single that Presley released after his time in the military.
Instead, the Elvis of ³Stuck On You² sounds like an Elvis impersonator,
leaning hard on his gasps and hiccups and little baritone voice-drops. You
can almost hear finger-gun winking.
Presley recorded a few transcendent songs after his time in the Army, mostly
by leaning hard into the old-school entertainer side of his persona. ³Stuck
On You² isn¹t one of those transcendent songs. It¹s an amiable midtempo blues
shuffle, a lazy-afternoon sort of thing. It¹s pure autopilot. But even on
autopilot, Presley had so much presence and charisma in his voice that he
still left an impression.
The vocal tics of ³Stuck On You² are pure silliness. But when Presley hits
the chorus and kicks things up a couple of notches, you can hear echoes of
the dangerous, feverish singer who¹d captured and scandalized the world only
a few years earlier. Presley wasn¹t all that interested in letting that guy
off the leash, but he was still in there somewhere.
GRADE: 6/10
Well, he finally got something nearly right, though I think his grade
is too high. I'd give it a 4. I suspect Breihan gave it a couple of
extra points just because it's Elvis.
2018-11-27 01:21:32 UTC
A writer named Tom Breihan has been reviewing, in order, every song to hit #1
in the Billboard Hot 100.
Elvis Presley ­ łStuck On You˛
HIT #1: April 25, 1960
STAYED AT #1: 4 weeks
By the time Elvis Presley got out of the Army, he was who he was. When
Presley got back home and returned to recording, the hunger and wildness and
desperation of his early years were gone. He was happy to play into the
character that heąd built for himself. Thereąs no urgency in łStuck On You,˛
the first single that Presley released after his time in the military.
Instead, the Elvis of łStuck On You˛ sounds like an Elvis impersonator,
leaning hard on his gasps and hiccups and little baritone voice-drops. You
can almost hear finger-gun winking.
Presley recorded a few transcendent songs after his time in the Army, mostly
by leaning hard into the old-school entertainer side of his persona. łStuck
On You˛ isnąt one of those transcendent songs. Itąs an amiable midtempo blues
shuffle, a lazy-afternoon sort of thing. Itąs pure autopilot. But even on
autopilot, Presley had so much presence and charisma in his voice that he
still left an impression.
The vocal tics of łStuck On You˛ are pure silliness. But when Presley hits
the chorus and kicks things up a couple of notches, you can hear echoes of
the dangerous, feverish singer whoąd captured and scandalized the world only
a few years earlier. Presley wasnąt all that interested in letting that guy
I give it an 8. Clearly not as good as his greatest 50s records, but still excellent IMO.
Roger Ford
2018-11-27 09:15:04 UTC
On Mon, 26 Nov 2018 19:07:43 -0600, Mark Dintenfass
[...]
I give "Stuck On You" a 7

If you only give it a 4 what on earth do you give the MUCH worse
flipside the gloopy "Fame And Fortune" ??