Obscure 1950s Recordings Tournament - May Preliminary Round - Group 4
2019-05-05 21:45:51 UTC

Give Me Back My Heart - Hollywood Flames

My Kinda Woman - Allen Bunn

Boots And Saddles - Jimmy Ricks & The Ravens

After A While - Joe Turner

Dennis C
2019-05-05 22:32:41 UTC
1- "Give me back my heart". Solid song on every level.

2- "Boots and Saddle" .Basso Profundo virtuosity from Edgar Allen Poe's favorite group, baby!!

3- "After a while" Run of the mill offering from Big Joe.

4- "My kind of woman" probably Bruce's favorite because the lead singer's phrasing is non existent, baby!!
r***@san.rr.com
2019-05-05 22:43:39 UTC
1. Boots And Saddles - Jimmy Ricks & The Ravens
2. Give Me Back My Heart - Hollywood Flames
3. After A While - Joe Turner
4. My Kinda Woman - Allen Bunn

Sounds like all songs have a vocal-group backing.
SavoyBG
Who are you?
Rick Schubert
Rick. My computer crashed, and I'm having to use Google Groups from another device for now. I didn't realize it wouldn't show my name. I think this post should show my name now.
Roger Ford
2019-05-06 04:09:23 UTC
On Sun, 5 May 2019 20:42:30 -0700 (PDT), Rick Schubert
Post by Rick Schubert
Post by SavoyBG
Post by r***@san.rr.com
1. Boots And Saddles - Jimmy Ricks & The Ravens
2. Give Me Back My Heart - Hollywood Flames
3. After A While - Joe Turner
4. My Kinda Woman - Allen Bunn
Sounds like all songs have a vocal-group backing.
Who are you?
Rick. My computer crashed, and I'm having to use Google Groups from another device for now. I didn't realize it wouldn't show my name. I think this post should show my name now.
Yes it shows your name over here

2019-05-06 04:36:13 UTC

My Kinda Woman - Allen Bunn - 7
Boots And Saddles - Jimmy Ricks & The Ravens - 4
After A While - Joe Turner - 4
Give Me Back My Heart - Hollywood Flames - 3

Terrible group here. Other than the Bunn I never want to hear any of these again.
OleManRiver
2019-05-05 23:32:53 UTC
1. My Kinda Woman - Allen Bunn
2. After A While - Joe Turner
3. Boots And Saddles - Jimmy Ricks & The Ravens
4. Give Me Back My Heart - Hollywood Flames
Mark Dintenfass
2019-05-06 03:04:27 UTC
Give Me Back My Heart - Hollywood Flames
After A While - Joe Turner
My Kinda Woman - Allen Bunn
Boots And Saddles - Jimmy Ricks & The Ravens

Jimmy Ricks is great, but whoever thought the Ravens should do that
cowboy classic is even dumber than the Atlantic functionary who saddled
Joe Turner with this pop number.
2019-05-06 03:34:39 UTC
1 My Kinda Woman - Allen Bunn

2 Give Me Back My Heart - Hollywood Flames

3 After A While - Joe Turner

4 Boots And Saddles - Jimmy Ricks & The Ravens

2019-05-06 03:39:36 UTC
My Kinda Woman - Allen Bunn - 7
Give Me Back My Heart - Hollywood Flames - 6
After A While - Joe Turner - 5
Boots And Saddles - Jimmy Ricks & The Ravens - 4

2019-05-06 04:08:32 UTC
My Kinda Woman - Allen Bunn - 7
Ex-Lark Tarheel Slim with the flip of his best solo record (his best
before "Number Nine Train" anyway),the great "Too Much Competition" on
Red Robin (1954).

But not much competition at all for him here today tho
Post by Roger Ford
Give Me Back My Heart - Hollywood Flames - 6
Okay Flames on Ebb in 1958--this was the followup to their big "Buzz
Buzz Buzz" hit .David Ford (no relation :) does the lead vocal honors
here.
Post by Roger Ford
After A While - Joe Turner - 5
Big Joe struggles some with one of Johnnie Ray's cast off pop songs.
Post by Roger Ford
Boots And Saddles - Jimmy Ricks & The Ravens - 4
Ricks & co completely out of place on this shitkicker.Not for me at
all sorry

2019-05-06 05:45:15 UTC
Boots And Saddles - Jimmy Ricks & The Ravens
After A While - Joe Turner
Give Me Back My Heart - Hollywood Flames
My Kinda Woman - Allen Bunn

Guess I'm a sucker for anything off the wall by the Ravens. Green Eyes, A Simple Prayer, Be I Bumble and now this. Edged out my Joe Turner submittal. Did Johnnie Ray actually release this?

I like this Hollywood Flames song and I'm not a big fan of Buzz Buzz Buzz. Prefer the Too Much Competition flipside on the Allen Bunn entry.
Roger Ford
2019-05-06 10:12:24 UTC
Boots And Saddles - Jimmy Ricks & The Ravens
After A While - Joe Turner
Guess I'm a sucker for anything off the wall by the Ravens. Green Eyes, A Simple Prayer, Be I Bumble and now this. Edged out my Joe Turner submittal. Did Johnnie Ray actually release this?
No,that was just me being facetious.

According to the label Big Joe himself wrote this

I won't admit I spent a half hour looking for this Johnnie Ray song last night. Too embarrassed.
Bill B
2019-05-06 10:42:00 UTC
Post by Carl
Guess I'm a sucker for anything off the wall by the Ravens. Green Eyes, A Simple Prayer, Be I Bumble and now this. Edged out my Joe Turner submittal.
I feel the same way. But I bet this is an exception:

Carl
2019-05-06 14:08:21 UTC
http://youtu.be/QQACHFa3SBU
Putting together my best of 1948 and just happen to listen to this a few months ago and promptly forgot it existed, Not gonna be anywhere near my list.
SavoyBG
2019-05-06 14:35:49 UTC
I like ROOSTER better than BOOTS AND SADDLES
SavoyBG
2019-05-06 14:42:02 UTC
Just need Bob's list to finalize this, but Joe Turner will be leaving us. The other 3 will advance.

By the way, if we had used Bill's prelim system Joe Turner only has 2 fourth place rankings while right now the other 3 records have three apiece. If Bob ranks the Turner last it would be a 4 way tie with all 4 records having 3 last place rankings.

Bill, if Bob ranks the Ravens last we could use your system, just for this group, if you want :-)
Bill B
2019-05-06 14:42:16 UTC
Holy shit. You're serious? You're the one who says the only thing that matters is what comes out of the speakers. In Boots And Saddles, it's great harmony, great bass, great tenor and a nice tempo. Rooster is a mess, more a comedy record than music.
Dennis C
Bruce is right!! The only thing that matters is what emanates from a speaker and he has been the self appointed speaker of this forum for a decade or two, baby!!
SavoyBG
They both are dumb records, but at least ROOSTER Is funny.
Dennis C
2019-05-06 17:38:00 UTC
Funny how?

The words?
SavoyBG
2019-05-06 23:27:27 UTC
Funny how?
The words?
I've said many times, I do pay attention to the words in comedy-novelty-song parodies.
SavoyBG
2019-05-06 23:29:18 UTC
FINAL RANKINGS:

1. My Kinda Woman - Allen Bunn - 34
2. Boots And Saddles - Jimmy Ricks & The Ravens - 30
3. Give Me Back My Heart - Hollywood Flames - 30

4. After A While - Joe Turner - 26

The Turner is out, the other 3 advance into round one.
SavoyBG
2019-05-06 23:31:12 UTC
The Ravens won the tie breaker over the Hollywood Flames because their record was ranked higher on 7 of the 12 ballots.
Bill B
2019-05-06 17:45:40 UTC
I like ROOSTER better than BOOTS AND SADDLES
Holy shit. You're serious? You're the one who says the only thing that matters is what comes out of the speakers. In Boots And Saddles, it's great harmony, great bass, great tenor and a nice tempo. Rooster is a mess, more a comedy record than music.
They both are dumb records, but at least ROOSTER Is funny.
Why is Boots and Saddles a dumb record? The only possible reason I can come up with is it's a Western movie song being done by an R&B group. That could make someone think it's inappropriate material for the group. But it's similar to Ray Charles doing his Modern Sounds In Country And Western LPs, still R&B. It's what comes out of the speakers and there's nothing dumb about that in the record.

Did you even listen to it for this tournament? Or did you just rank it by your previous rating?
SavoyBG
I did not have a previous rating for it as I don't file it in my library. As for why it's a dumb song, I find most western movie type music to be dumb. In this case it has a pop almost jazzy arrangement rather than an R&B arrangement. What they have the tenor doing is really annoying to me. Maybe dumb is the wrong word here. You should be happy, it got a #2 ranking from me which was critical in it ending up second in the Final Rankings.
Bill B
2019-05-06 10:17:56 UTC
Post by SavoyBG
http://youtu.be/mI9DUp9BzOw
2 Give Me Back My Heart - Hollywood Flames
Post by SavoyBG
http://youtu.be/F_gz2o1M5Uw
3 My Kinda Woman - Allen Bunn
Post by SavoyBG
http://youtu.be/APRCTe_CcUY
4 After A While - Joe Turner
http://youtu.be/6K_A9jbeuZk
DianeE
2019-05-06 11:54:35 UTC
That Joe Turner record would be pretty damn good if they hadn't inserted
the background singers. I used to despise the Ravens but I have come to
a new appreciation of their uptempo stuff. "Boots And Saddles" isn't a
keeper for me but I'm definitely not sorry I listened to it. As for the
Hollywood Flames, this one's a misfire for me. Just a boring doowop
ballad (sorry, Gaynel) AFAIC.

1-My Kinda Woman - Allen Bunn
2-Boots And Saddles - Jimmy Ricks & The Ravens
3-After A While - Joe Turner
4-Give Me Back My Heart - Hollywood Flames
Roger Ford
2019-05-06 12:39:11 UTC
As for the ollywood Flames, this one's a misfire for me. Just a boring doowop
ballad (sorry, Gaynel) AFAIC.
1-My Kinda Woman - Allen Bunn
2-Boots And Saddles - Jimmy Ricks & The Ravens
3-After A While - Joe Turner
4-Give Me Back My Heart - Hollywood Flames
Hadn't Gaynel Hodge already left the group for The Turks ("I'm A
Fool")? Certainly it's David Ford on lead on the above number

2019-05-06 20:28:10 UTC
As for the ollywood Flames, this one's a misfire for me. Just a boring doowop
ballad (sorry, Gaynel) AFAIC.
1-My Kinda Woman - Allen Bunn
2-Boots And Saddles - Jimmy Ricks & The Ravens
3-After A While - Joe Turner
4-Give Me Back My Heart - Hollywood Flames
Hadn't Gaynel Hodge already left the group for The Turks ("I'm A
Fool")? Certainly it's David Ford on lead on the above number
---------
Yes, but I mentioned him because the writing credit on the label says
"G. Hodge."
Roger Ford
2019-05-07 05:32:17 UTC
As for the ollywood Flames, this one's a misfire for me. Just a boring doowop
ballad (sorry, Gaynel) AFAIC.
1-My Kinda Woman - Allen Bunn
2-Boots And Saddles - Jimmy Ricks & The Ravens
3-After A While - Joe Turner
4-Give Me Back My Heart - Hollywood Flames
Hadn't Gaynel Hodge already left the group for The Turks ("I'm A
Fool")? Certainly it's David Ford on lead on the above number
---------
Yes, but I mentioned him because the writing credit on the label says
"G. Hodge."
Did not notice that.

Well spotted!

2019-05-06 13:29:40 UTC
1. Give Me Back My Heart - Hollywood Flames

2. My Kinda Woman - Allen Bunn

3. Boots And Saddles - Jimmy Ricks & The Ravens

4. After A While - Joe Turner
Bob Roman
2019-05-06 17:37:04 UTC
1. Nunn
2. Turner
3. Ravens
4. Flames

2019-05-06 20:29:01 UTC
1. Nunn
2. Turner
3. Ravens
4. Flames
It's not Bobby Nunn, it's Allen Bunn!
Bob Roman
2019-05-06 21:31:53 UTC
Autocorrect :(

I don't want to disable it, because I rely on it most of the time. It's mostly only here that it's a problem.