Obscure 1950s Era Recordings - February - Preliminary Round - Group 8
2020-02-08 15:09:05 UTC

Give it up Daddy Blues - Albennie Jones

It's All Your Fault - Farris Wilder

Tired of Worry - Arthur Crudup

You're My Desire - Equadors

What’s Buggin’ You Baby - El Dorados

SavoyBG
2020-02-08 15:12:43 UTC

1. Give it up Daddy Blues - Albennie Jones - 6
2. Tired of Worry - Arthur Crudup - 6
3. You're My Desire - Equadors - 6
4. It's All Your Fault - Farris Wilder - 5
5. What’s Buggin’ You Baby - El Dorados - 5

I've only has the Albennie for a short time, since Sampson reviewed it last year. Thought I had all of the good Crudups from the 40s and 50s, but I missed this one. Equadors is a nice doo wop. The Wilder is pretty good. The El Dorados record always struck me as popish and corny for them after both sides of all the previous releases were really good.
Steve Mc
2020-02-08 15:30:24 UTC
1. Tired of Worry - Arthur Crudup

2. Give it up Daddy Blues - Albennie Jones

3. It's All Your Fault - Farris Wilder

4. You're My Desire - Equadors

5. What’s Buggin’ You Baby - El Dorados

2020-02-08 15:17:27 UTC
It's All Your Fault - Farris Wilder - 8
You're My Desire - Equadors - 8
What's Buggin' You Baby - El Dorados - 7
Tired of Worry - Arthur Crudup - 7
Give it up Daddy Blues - Albennie Jones - 7

2020-02-08 15:25:41 UTC
Give it up Daddy Blues - Albennie Jones

From 1947 here's a decent if formulaic slow blues from Albennie on
Decca whose best record IMO was the great later "Hole In The Wall" in
1949 (notable also for its early use of the term "rock and roll"),And
just as with that one her earlier recording here also features Sam
Price & his band backing her up.
Post by SavoyBG
It's All Your Fault - Farris Wilder

I wonder how many of the copies of this pounding 1957 Hi-Q rocker
still in circulation today especially on this side of the puddle (and
there may well be more of them over here than in the USA) originally
came from the several hundred original copies that remained at Fortune
in Detroit that we purchased from Devora and shipped back here to
Blighty?
Post by SavoyBG
Tired of Worry - Arthur Crudup

Credited to Arthur "Big Boy" Crudup and recorded March 10 1949 in
Chicago personnel Arthur Crudup voc g ; Ransom Knowling b ; Judge
Riley dms.Released later that year as the "A" side on RCA 22-0048
(78RPM) (flipped with the 1947 recorded "Hoodoo Lady Blues").

This also has the distinction of being one of the earliest blues
records to see release on RCA's brand new 45RPM format as # 50-0032
(and of course Big Boy also had the ULTIMATE distinction of having his
name on the VERY FIRST blues 45RPM ever released-"That's All Right" on
RCA 50-0000 in 1949 )
Post by SavoyBG
You're My Desire - Equadors

It's on Motown's subsid Miracle label #7.
And released in September 1961.
And it's quite irresistible.
And that's all I know
Post by SavoyBG
What=E2=80=99s Buggin=E2=80=99 You Baby - El Dorados

This 1955 poppy sounding song-the flip of the famous (and infinitely
better) "At My Front Door"---always sounded to me like something that
the Four Lads or Four Aces or one of those type groups might have
stormed the pop chart with. Cool sax break (courtesy Red Holloway
surely?) provides a definite lift for it tho

2020-02-08 15:43:34 UTC
RANKINGS
1. What’s Buggin’ You Baby - El Dorados
2. Give it up Daddy Blues - Albennie Jones
3. You're My Desire - Equadors
4. Tired Of Worry - Arthur Crudup
5. It's All Your Fault - Farris Wilder
Jim Colegrove
2020-02-08 16:26:00 UTC
1. It's All Your Fault - Farris Wilder

2. Tired of Worry - Arthur Crudup

3. You're My Desire - Equadors

4. What's Buggin' You Baby - El Dorados

5. Give it up Daddy Blues - Albennie Jones
Dennis C
2020-02-08 16:30:27 UTC
Looks like we're headed for a cluster, baby!!
Dennis C
2020-02-08 16:28:55 UTC
1- Equadors

2- Albennie Jones

3- Big Boy Crudup

4- El Dorados

5- Farris Wilder
Rick Schubert
2020-02-08 17:40:40 UTC
1. You're My Desire - Equadors
2. What’s Buggin’ You Baby - El Dorados
3. Give it up Daddy Blues - Albennie Jones
Mark Dintenfass
2020-02-08 19:02:03 UTC
Give it up Daddy Blues - Albennie Jones
It's All Your Fault - Farris Wilder
You're My Desire - Equadors
Tired of Worry - Arthur Crudup
What¹s Buggin¹ You Baby - El Dorados
2020-02-08 19:52:51 UTC
Nice group today. #'s 3, 4, and 5 are all about equal for me. Crudup's
last only because someone had to be.

1-You're My Desire - Equadors

5-Tired of Worry - Arthur Crudup
SavoyBG
2020-02-08 20:09:18 UTC

1-You're My Desire - Equadors - 33
2-Give it up Daddy Blues - Albennie Jones - 31
3-Tired of Worry - Arthur Crudup - 25
4-It's All Your Fault - Farris Wilder - 25

5-What’s Buggin’ You Baby - El Dorados - 21

Rick managed to win 2 groups with doo wops this round while Bill's doo wops crashed. Mark's Albennie with a strong second place showing. Steve's Crudup edges Roger Ferris Bueller in a 5-4 tie breaker for third place. And we know what's buggin' Carl, his record went out in the prelims!
SavoyBG
2020-02-08 20:11:26 UTC
Here are are 32 entries in Round 1, which starts tomorrow.

1. Ay-Tete Fee - Clifton Chenier (Jim)
2. You Got To Run Me Down - Jazz Gillum (Mark)
3. Telephone Baby - Werly Fairburn (Diane)
4. I Dreamed I Was Elvis - Sonny Cole and the Rhythm Roamers (Steve)

1. Oh! Red - Jimmy Wilson (Steve)
2. You're The Reason (I'm In Love) - Charts Rick)
3. Gee Whiz Miss Liz - Marvin Jackson (Diane)
4. True Love Can Be - Ron Holden (Carl)

1. Shorty The Barber - Lou Millet (Diane)
2. Sitting On The Boat Dock - Freddy King (Bruce)
3. Take Your Fine Frame Home - Billy Gayles (Frank)
4. Flip, Flip - The Vons (Jim)

1. Why Don't You Use Your Head - Hunk Dori (Mark)
2. She Done Me Wrong - Whips (Frank)
3. Rhythm Feet - Carroll "Wild Red" Pegues (Diane)
4. You Better Dig It - Bill Johnson (Bruce)

1. You Gotta Go Baby - Five Blue Notes (Rick)
2. Mmm Mmm Baby - Spiders (Bruce)
3. The Flirt – Shirley & Lee (Bill)
4. Wore To A Frazzel - Tony & Jackie Lamie (Roger)

1. Little Jewel Of The Vieux Carre - Joe Barry (Mark)
2. Midnight Love - Downbeats (Roger)
3. At the Jamboree - Troy Ferguson's Country Gentlemen (Jim)
4. Woke Up This Morning - Arthur Prysock (FRank)

1. Rock And Roll Baby - Mercy Baby (Roger)
2. Well'o, Well'o, Well'o, Baby - Earl King (Jim)
3. Broke - Five Echoes (Rick)
4. Ice Man Blues - Tom Archia & His All Stars (Carl)

1-You're My Desire - Equadors (Rick)
2-Give it up Daddy Blues - Albennie Jones (Mark)
3-Tired of Worry - Arthur Crudup (Steve)
4-It's All Your Fault - Farris Wilder (Roger)

Rick and Mark look strong with two winners each in the prelims.