Obscure 1950s Era Recordings - February - Preliminary Round - Group 7
2020-02-07 14:22:31 UTC

Rock And Roll Baby - Mercy Baby

Well'o, Well'o, Well'o, Baby - Earl King

Be My Baby - Georgettes

Ice Man Blues - Tom Archia & His All Stars

Broke - Five Echoes

SavoyBG
2020-02-07 14:24:18 UTC

1. Ice Man Blues - Tom Archia & His All Stars
2. Be My Baby - Georgettes
3. Well'o, Well'o, Well'o, Baby - Earl King
4. Rock And Roll Baby - Mercy Baby
5. Broke - Five Echoes

I like all of these and there's very little separating #2 through #5.
DianeE
2020-02-07 14:47:30 UTC
1-Rock And Roll Baby - Mercy Baby
2-Broke - Five Echoes
3-Well'o, Well'o, Well'o, Baby - Earl King
4-Ice Man Blues - Tom Archia & His All Stars

5-Be My Baby - Georgettes
SavoyBG
Suppose this was the unknown original version, would it still be last?
DianeE
2020-02-07 15:08:49 UTC
5-Be My Baby - Georgettes
Suppose this was the unknown original version, would it still be last?
----------
You asked me something like this before and the answer is still yes. I
don't know (and it's impossible to know) what I would think of the
record *if I had never heard the Ronettes version*.
Anyhow, that's moot, because the other 4 records today are strong
contenders. The Mercy Baby and Five Echoes records are especially good
IMO.
SavoyBG
So if the Ronettes was a cover of the Georgettes, the Georgettes would still be last and the Ronettes would still be great in your opinion. Okay. At least this last place ranking is entirely based on what's coming out of the speakers, right?
Dennis C
2020-02-07 15:33:22 UTC
We ain't dealing in suppositions, baby!!

But, it would not be last!
DianeE
2020-02-07 18:23:30 UTC
We ain't dealing in suppositions, baby!!
But, it would not be last!
------
It would for me.

Most people don't prefer "You Were Always On My Mind" by Brenda Lee
(although I do), or "Crying In The Chapel" by Darrell Glenn, or "Mardi
Gras Mambo" by Jody Levens to their remakes.

"Be My Baby" without Ronnie's voice is...well, I won't say it's
*nothing*, but it's greatly diminished. Bruce laughed when I told him
that seeing/hearing the Ronettes perform that song live was one of the
peak experiences of my life, but I wasn't joking.
Dennis C
2020-02-07 18:39:51 UTC
Andy Kim's version would have been 2nd here!!
Bill B
I too saw them in concert at a theatre on Broadway in NYC, but it was hardly life changing. The main memory I have of that show is Stevie Wonder being led onstage and, when he said "OK everybody, let's clap hands," he missed.
DianeE
2020-02-07 19:31:13 UTC
"Be My Baby" without Ronnie's voice is...well, I won't say it's
*nothing*, but it's greatly diminished. Bruce laughed when I told him
that seeing/hearing the Ronettes perform that song live was one of the
peak experiences of my life, but I wasn't joking.
I too saw them in concert at a theatre on Broadway in NYC, but it was hardly life changing. The main memory I have of that show is Stevie Wonder being led onstage and, when he said "OK everybody, let's clap hands," he missed.
-----------
You were a young adult at that time. I was a very impressionable
teenage girl, and the Ronettes appeared to me to be the perfect ideal of
1960s femininity. I think today it's called a "girl crush." If only I
could be like her, oh, life would be perfect.
SavoyBG
Yes, YOU could have been the one being beaten up by Phil!
Dennis C
2020-02-08 00:19:16 UTC
Bottom line, now you know how Billy Bugge feels!!

As far as experimentation, you now know what Edsel Ford felt like too, baby!!!
DianeE
2020-02-08 00:46:04 UTC
"Be My Baby" without Ronnie's voice is...well, I won't say it's
*nothing*, but it's greatly diminished. Bruce laughed when I told him
that seeing/hearing the Ronettes perform that song live was one of the
peak experiences of my life, but I wasn't joking.
I too saw them in concert at a theatre on Broadway in NYC, but it was hardly life changing. The main memory I have of that show is Stevie Wonder being led onstage and, when he said "OK everybody, let's clap hands," he missed.
-----------
You were a young adult at that time. I was a very impressionable
teenage girl, and the Ronettes appeared to me to be the perfect ideal of
1960s femininity. I think today it's called a "girl crush."
If only I could be like her, oh, life would be perfect.
Yes, YOU could have been the one being beaten up by Phil!
-----------
Yeah, well, it was a fantasy of course. The point is, I seriously doubt
that if I'd seen the Georgettes live on stage that I'd even remember it
a year later, much less 50+ years later.
SavoyBG
So, how the artist looks has a bearing on your rating of a record?
DianeE
2020-02-08 03:23:19 UTC
[...]
--------------
Yes, that's why I'm such a big Jack Scott fan.

Carl
2020-02-07 14:51:03 UTC
RANKINGS

1. Ice Man Blues - Tom Archia & His All Stars
2. Well'o, Well'o, Well'o, Baby - Earl King
3. Be My Baby - Georgettes
4. Rock And Roll Baby - Mercy Baby
5. Broke - Five Echoes
Steve Mc
2020-02-07 15:24:57 UTC
1. Rock And Roll Baby - Mercy Baby

2. Be My Baby - Georgettes

3. Well'o, Well'o, Well'o, Baby - Earl King

4. Broke - Five Echoes

5. Ice Man Blues - Tom Archia & His All Stars

2020-02-07 14:57:41 UTC
1. Rock And Roll Baby - Mercy Baby

2. Well'o, Well'o, Well'o, Baby - Earl King

3. Broke - Five Echoes

4. Ice Man Blues - Tom Archia & His All Stars

5. Be My Baby - Georgettes
Dennis C
2020-02-07 15:31:41 UTC
1- Earl King

2- Five Echos

3- Mercy Baby

4- Tom Archia

5- Georgettes
Mark Dintenfass
2020-02-07 16:56:19 UTC
1. Broke - Five Echoes
2. Ice Man Blues - Tom Archia & His All Stars
3. Rock And Roll Baby - Mercy Baby
4. Be My Baby - Georgettes
5. Well'o, Well'o, Well'o, Baby - Earl King
SavoyBG
2020-02-07 17:14:24 UTC
Roger still has to vote, but my Georgettes will be out.
Roger Ford
2020-02-07 19:58:24 UTC
Rock And Roll Baby - Mercy Baby - 9
Broke - Five Echoes - 8
Well'o, Well'o, Well'o, Baby - Earl King - 7
Ice Man Blues - Tom Archia & His All Stars - 6
Be My Baby - Georgettes - 5

2020-02-07 20:02:37 UTC
Rock And Roll Baby - Mercy Baby
http://youtu.be/kStDJs1IlL4
Mercy Baby (aka Jimmy Mullins) here with my favourite side of his
first record on Ace ("Marked Deck") in 1957. As well as supplying
terrific vocals our hero is also on drums and has a totally smokin'
band behind him (that includes Frankie Lee Sims on guitar)
Post by SavoyBG
Well'o, Well'o, Well'o, Baby - Earl King
http://youtu.be/Dsp-2qaMW4I
Backed here by Huey Smith & co,1958 was a sparse year for Earl (whose
label name check on his next record that year was changed to "Handsome
Earl" on the orders of Johnny Vincent). Earl rarely disappoints on his
records and he always seems to do real good in these contests so be
interesting to see how this one pans out.
Post by SavoyBG
Be My Baby - Georgettes
http://youtu.be/Q8DYFA5BjNA
On the cheapo cover Hit label here's the Georgettes with a quick (but
superfluous) copy of the Ronettes great hit. This same version was
also released as by The Carrols on Giant label of Nashville. Flip on
both copies is an equally superfluous cover of The Jaynetts' "Sally Go
Round The Roses"
Post by SavoyBG
Ice Man Blues - Tom Archia & His All Stars
http://youtu.be/w2iMHdRojLQ
Yes,that's THE George Kirby on vocal on this gently rolling blues with
other personnel being Tom Archia (ts),Bill Owens (p) Hurley Ramey (eg)
Dallas Bartley (b) Jump Jackson (dms). Recorded at Universal in
Chicago in July 1947. Released as 78RPM Aristocrat 602 in February
1948 (Aristocrat was the forerunner of the Chess label).I believe the
first appearance of the track on album is the 2-CD various artists set
"The Aristocrat Of The Blues : The Best Of Aristocrat" (Chess
DHD2-9387) released in 1997
Post by SavoyBG
Broke - Five Echoes
http://youtu.be/ghDgeQFZFXY
The rockin' flip of their "So Lonesome" single (which title WAS in the
1954 Singles Battle) and another gem on the Sabre label of Chicago

(BTW this one also features on that quite brilliant 1964 "Collectors
Showcase Vol 5 : Groups Three" album on Constellation that also
contains The Five Blue Notes "You Gotta Go Baby" featured elsewhere in
this contest)

2020-02-07 20:42:56 UTC

1. Rock And Roll Baby - Mercy Baby - 35
2. Well'o, Well'o, Well'o, Baby - Earl King - 30
3. Broke - Five Echoes - 26
4. Ice Man Blues - Tom Archia & His All Stars - 26

5. Be My Baby - Georgettes - 18

Well, my little experiment has confirmed my fears about the group as the Georgettes got blown out. Personally I don't hear much difference between it (a 6) and the Ronettes version (a 7).

Roger's Mercy Baby takes the group comfortable over Jim's Earl King. Rick's 5 Echoes edges Carl's Ice Man on a 6-3 tie breaker.

Final prelim tomorrow.
Mark Dintenfass
2020-02-07 23:01:07 UTC
Well, my little experiment has confirmed my fears about the group as the
Georgettes got blown out.
The group has the problem?

LOL