Obscure 1950s Era Recordings - August Tournament
2020-08-01 12:53:50 UTC
Okay, we are back with another action packed and thrilling contest!

Bill is back in so we have 45 entries like we had last month with Geoff in. There will be 9 groups of 5 songs each in the prelims, which start tomorrow. The last place song in each group, plus the 4 lowest scoring 4th place songs, will drop out to get us to 32 items for the first round.

Here are the August combatants:

BRUCE

Mind Your Own Business Babe - Arthur Gunter

Pink And Black - Sonny Fisher

Don't Give No More Than You Can Take - Five Royales

Home At Last - Little Willie John

Tell Me - Howlin' Wolf

CARL

I Wish I Knew - Bobby Mitchell & The Toppers - Imperial 5326

Blues For My Cookie - Lightnin’ Hopkins - Herald 465

Taxi Driver - John Lee Hooker - Vee Jay 958

Promises Promises Promises - The Penguins - Mercury 70703

Red’s Blues - Piano Red - Groove 0126

MARK

Walk Your Blues Away - Professor Longhair

I'm Calling - Dells

Getting Dizzy - Elegants

I Don't Know What It Is But I Like It - Varetta Dillard

Because I Love You - Dee Clark

ROGER

Mississippi Boogie - Jimmy Liggins

Can't Find My Sadie - Checkers

Honey Honey - Supremes

I'm Gonna Catch You (Cuttin' Out On Me) - Curtis Carrington

Special Lesson #1 - Billy Tate

BILL

Be Ever Wonderful - Velvet Angels

Send Me Flowers - Six Teens

Gonna Catch You Nappin' - Avons

Wow! Baby-- Ellis Brothers

Great Jumpin' Catfish - Wanderers

JIM

Teen Town Hop - The Philharmonics

How Much I Owe - The Radio Four

Gas Happy Mama - The Royals

Red Head 'n' Cadillac - Eddie Williams and his Brown Buddies w/Floyd Dixon

Gaines Boogie - Freddie Strong with Fats Gaines

STEVE

Look Out Baby - Don Feger

You Better Believe It - Paul Gayton

Hear My Plea Baby - Arthur Gunter

A Jumpin and A shufflin - Joe Hill Louis

My Love Is Your Love - Magic Sam

DIANE

Easy Baby - Magic Sam

Skippy Is A Sissy - Roy Gaines

You've Been Mistreating Me - Big Bill Broonzy

Hole In The Ground - Freddie Kohlman Orch.-Cousin Joe vocals

I'm A Lonely Man - Little Milton

RICK

Since I Fell For You - Buckeyes

Your Sweet Love - Kings

The Fine One - Five Hearts

Baby, Don't Put Me Down - Sultans

California - Five Chances

Bill B
2020-08-01 13:08:22 UTC
http://youtu.be/ygjHvGwUPmg
I'd prefer if you label this Nolan Strong with the Velvet Angels.
SavoyBG
Okay, but his name was not mentioned and nobody knew that they were the Diablos until many years later as they were still under contract to Fortune at that time.
Bill B
2020-08-01 14:17:34 UTC
BILL
Be Ever Wonderful - Velvet Angels
http://youtu.be/ygjHvGwUPmg
I'd prefer if you label this Nolan Strong with the Velvet Angels.
Okay, but his name was not mentioned and nobody knew that they were the Diablos until many years later as they were still under contract to Fortune at that time.
There were two Diablos in the Velvet Angels, Willie Hunter and Jay Johnson. And Nolan Strong sang with them on their early releases.

The album cover from my link to the recording says The Velvet Angels w Nolan Strong.
DianeE
2020-08-01 16:08:51 UTC
On 8/1/2020 8:53 AM, SavoyBG wrote:
STEVE
You Better Believe It - Paul Gayton
http://youtu.be/J1HwVf8XQJk
----------
Record label says "Gayten." Quite a change in style for him!
RWC
2020-08-02 04:30:52 UTC
Okay, we are back with another action packed and thrilling contest!
with perhaps the best collection of records yet.

Within 5 minutes I was eagerly listening to the 45 nominations in
Winamp, honestly not knowing who had nominated what

- and furthermore, Winamp alpha sorts a pasted set of mp3 filenames
(these filenames are the YouTube titles for the links posted here).

My faves are (leaving aside songs that might grow on me):

Dee Clark - Because I Love You
The Kings - My Sweet Love
Roy Gaines - Skippy Is A Sissy
Taxi Driver {helped perhaps by a bright and gutsy audio source}

Magic Sam's "Easy Baby", the unique spaced out delivery from 0:38,
strongly reminds me of a Ray Charles record.