Obscure 1950s Era Recordings - July - FINAL FOUR
2020-07-25 12:37:16 UTC
The FINAL FOUR is now open. Please rank these from best to worst.

Cool,Cool Baby - Magic Tones

Baby Beat It - Big Duke

She's Mine All Mine - Arthur Gunter

Come On Come On Come On - Tiny Topsy

SavoyBG
2020-07-25 12:37:44 UTC

1. Baby Beat It - Big Duke
2. She's Mine All Mine - Arthur Gunter
3. Cool,Cool Baby - Magic Tones
4. Come On Come On Come On - Tiny Topsy
Steve Mc
2020-07-25 14:25:44 UTC
1. Come On Come On Come On - Tiny Topsy

2. She's Mine All Mine - Arthur Gunter

3. Cool,Cool Baby - Magic Tones

4. Baby Beat It - Big Duke

2020-07-25 13:43:46 UTC
1. She’s Mine All Mine - Arthur Gunter
2. Come On Come On Come On - Tiny Topsy
3. Cool,Cool Baby - Magic Tones
4. Baby Beat It - Big Duke
Jim Colegrove
2020-07-25 13:49:26 UTC

Dennis C
2020-07-25 13:57:43 UTC
1- Magic Tones

2- Tiny Topsy

3- Arthur Gunter

4- Big Duke

* Enriched whole grain final four, baby!!
DianeE
2020-07-25 14:01:45 UTC
1-Cool,Cool Baby - Magic Tones
2-She's Mine All Mine - Arthur Gunter
3-Baby Beat It - Big Duke
4-Come On Come On Come On - Tiny Topsy
Rick Schubert
2020-07-25 15:59:45 UTC
The FINAL FOUR is now open. Please rank these from best to worst.
1. Cool,Cool Baby - Magic Tones
2. Come On Come On Come On - Tiny Topsy
3. She's Mine All Mine - Arthur Gunter
4. Baby Beat It - Big Duke
SavoyBG
2020-07-25 16:34:29 UTC

1-Cool,Cool Baby - Magic Tones - 27
2-She's Mine All Mine - Arthur Gunter - 24
3-Come On Come On Come On - Tiny Topsy - 21
4-Baby Beat It - Big Duke - 18

Roger's Tones is the July champion!

Carl has been knocking on the door in recent months, but can't quite get in as his AG is second. Steve's Topsy was third, and Jim's BD 4th.

Great month guys. A few really good records that I did not have/know are now in my library thanks to you guys.

As usual I think the things I have for August are great, but in variably the group does not agree :-)
SavoyBG
2020-07-25 23:05:08 UTC
Roger, is that 4 or 5 times now that you won the month?

Me and Diane are still stuck on 2 each.
Dennis C
2020-07-25 23:50:47 UTC
Ford still had the better ideas, baby!!
Roger Ford
2020-07-26 04:27:10 UTC
Roger, is that 4 or 5 times now that you won the month?
Five

Roy Montrell,The Diablos and both sides of Mercy Baby

+ now The Magic-Tones = 5

(Tho in the July contest I rate both my Diablos entry and unreleased
Moonglows as better records)

Thanks to all voters for a great tournament!
Post by SavoyBG
Me and Diane are still stuck on 2 each.
Heh heh!

2020-07-26 09:01:38 UTC
(Tho in the July contest I rate both my Diablos entry and unreleased
Moonglows as better records)
Overall, you did well with the 'formula', Roger :)

A refinement is that this group seems to prefer some degree of
'earthiness', which for me explains why the more 'ethereal' Nolan
Strong fell away towards the end. 'Cool, Cool Baby' did not romp home
in the Final (very few records have, which complicates the 'formula')
but I now imagine this record to be the near perfect nomination for
this electorate with its mix of aural attributes.

Cool, Cool Baby - Magic Tones
http://youtu.be/alcMSbFk1F4

Leaving aside the lack of vocal harmonizing, this was, roughly
speaking, the *female* equivalent of "Cool, Cool Baby":

Katie Webster - Hoo Wee, Sweet Daddy

imo, the equal worst nomination (*only in terms of contest
winability*) was the Riverleers' "Don’t Ever Leave Me", with its
contrasting 'dirgy' atmospherics:

Don’t Ever Leave Me - The Rivileers

anyway, so far, in 17 contests:

0 female lead vocalists
1 white/rockabilly record
1 instrumental r&b
2 blues {both in recent months}
4 solo vocalist r&b
2 medium pace
2 fast
9 vocal harmony r&b
2 slowish {first 2 vh winners, way back}
7 lively {last 2 contest winners}

the sub-genre 'lively r&b vocal harmony' has just grown its lead
to winning 41% of these monthly contests.

As can be seen, this sub-genre has won more than 3 times the number of
contests compared to any other sub-genre.
RWC
2020-07-26 09:11:59 UTC
Katie Webster - Hoo Wee, Sweet Daddy
http://youtu.be/bLSxyt-i1nQ
Katie could be another 'pleasant discovery' for Dennis - unless he
prefers his ladies to be a bit 'rough' :-)